Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-16-2009, 03:45 PM   #41  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiamiKel4View Post
Oh the same thing happened to me -- I knew about the cardstock, but I didn't realize they retired the DSP so soon, too. I am sooo sad to see a few of the ones that I adore retire!! I tried to order a few just in case but I see that certain ones are on backorder and I'm praying that means they get them in at least since it was a confirmed item on the order. BUT, I do have to say that someone here from SCS gave me a tip on another company that matched the retired CS I was looking for and I took a chance and ordered it - not only is it a terrific quality and I'll be back for more, but the color was SPOT-ON!! In times like these, I guess it made sense that I followed that lead and had to think outside the box :-D
Please share!
What's the other company? If you can't say here - could you PM me?
Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2009, 03:48 PM   #42  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtgchicView Post
I agree with you, Valerie. Being new to SU and not having a true demo, I would have never known that the in-colors would be gone in June if I didn't read SCS.

Yes, I understand that when I see something at Target, their stock turns over quickly, so it may not be there the next time. However, isn't a big selling point of SU the fact that "everything coordinates," not "everything coordinates, but only until June 30th or earlier as supplies last?"

I guess what I'm really asking is, why do they even stop selling the in-colors? I guess they somehow feel they make more money when everyone stocks up due to this contrived shortage, but think of how much business they would get if they at least offered the in-color cardstock online.
It's unfortunate that your demo didn't let you know about the retiring accessories situation, including the In Colours. I actually told my stamp clubs in May to order whatever In Colour items they really wanted because they would run the risk of not being able to order them if they waited too long. I also ensured that my June newsletter and blog posts clearly stated that these were available on a first come, first served basis.

The In Colours are supposed to reflect current trends in the marketplace in fashion and home design. It's my understanding that they were never intended to become a permanent fixture in the catalogue. Some of the colours were loved, some were just liked, but all were retired at the end of a year.

The key in all of this is to simply remember this next year, and don't let yourselves get caught empty-handed again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2009, 03:59 PM   #43  
Stampin' Fool

I don't know what the "year" cycle is for New Zealand or Australia but their 2009/2010 catty has the current IC in them. I also don't know where these 2 countries supplies are warehoused or shipped from. My point is SU is still ordering/stocking these colors somewhere so not sure why they could not fill orders for IC until the end of our catalog year. Don't really want to debate the issue, just my thoughts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2009, 04:30 PM   #44  
Mad Swapper

Here's my two cents......

Anyone who has been a SU! customer for any amount of time, especially the last three years, knows that the "in-colors" are only around for a year. That includes any and all products that have the "in-colors" in them (DSP, Flourettes, Flower Fusion, etc...). So my point being is that if you know you love and want to have a stock of whatever has an "in-color" in it why wait until the last minute to buy them?

Speaking on a personal level I waited and regret doing it but I knew I ran the risk of NOT being able to get them. That is my fault for waiting, not SU! for clearing out inventory. I have also learned that I only occasionally use the "in-colors" once they are gone so it really isn't that big of a loss.

"Kindness is something the the blind can see and the deaf can hear" -unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2009, 04:32 PM   #45  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkstampinView Post
In any event, we need to let SU know our thoughts and hopefully they will come up with a better method for future years!
JMHO, but this is an excellent idea. As a demonstrator I think that it is important for customers to let SU know directly (vs through their demonstrators) their thoughts and feelings about actions/policies of the company. Then when management is looking to make future decisions they have more information available to make the best decisions for the company. Feedback might not make change happen, but it is often a great springboard for change.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2009, 04:35 PM   #46  
Crimping Master

most of the DSP that uses in-colours also has at least one other colour plus a neutral that works as well...that's what I plan on going with when I run out. And if I get really desperate, I'll make my own with ink. Or at least, I'll try!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2009, 04:50 PM   #47  
Pearl-ExPert

On the SU customer site is states, "Last chance accessories only available while supplies last" so if you only buy online and don't have a demo you should be aware that some things would sell out. And, if your demo didn't let you know that the last chance accessories are only available while supplies last I would be looking for a new demo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2009, 05:04 PM   #48  
Cardstock Collector

Crazysuziestamper asked about the current Australian catty. It runs until the end of August 2010. Our cardstock sizes are different from US, so SU cannot sell any excess incolor cardstock here in Aust.
The inkpads, reinkers and ribbons should all be ok though.
We don't have as wide a selection of DP, but those we do have in our catty probably won't run out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2009, 05:27 PM   #49  
Polyshrink Goddess

I, too, am a demo and agree with Valerie. It says available until June 30th and I have emailed SU! about this every year since they started the IC thing. Yes, SU does have to plan accordingly and not be stuck with last year's colors. However, they are in other markets that are a year behind the U.S. and Canada. So as of today, I do not feel like they would be "stuck" with old colors.
Am I mad? No, but only because I have been through this situation before and knew what would happen. I feel bad for those that did not know or were unable to order right away.
**Customers can let SU! know that this is a concern, and they should. They have proven over and over again that they do listen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2009, 06:01 PM   #50  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
March 2014 Swapper of the Month

Received 1,033 Likes on 780 Posts

Just think, in 2 weeks you can all order the new in-colors and the old ones will fade into a memory! I still have 5 unopened packages of cool carribbean b/c I LOVED that color and just knew I couldn't live without it. Once the next round of colors came out, I totally abandoned my Cool Carribbean for them--whatever they were! Bring on the new stuff and let's all move on!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2009, 06:07 PM   #51  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 846 Likes on 279 Posts

Quote:

You are certainly entitled to your view, as I am entitled to mine. Don't try and minimize the feeling of others, demos and customers, alike, who feel that this is bad customer service on the part of SU!

Could you please point out where in my comment that I minimized the feelings of others?
I stated that I've been disappointed too when missed out on a product that I wanted. I stated some options that are available to people that for whatever reason weren't able to get an order in before a product ran out.

I NEVER said people need to get over it or to stop being mad at SU.

If you are really that upset with SU then please write to them. They can't be all things to all people but they do read every letter they get and take things into consideration.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2009, 06:16 PM   #52  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaddictView Post
Could you please point out where in my comment that I minimized the feelings of others?
I stated that I've been disappointed too when missed out on a product that I wanted. I stated some options that are available to people that for whatever reason weren't able to get an order in before a product ran out.

I NEVER said people need to get over it or to stop being mad at SU.

If you are really that upset with SU then please write to them. They can't be all things to all people but they do read every letter they get and take things into consideration.
I should have prefaced it with a general you, I apologize.

It seems as if the OP, whom I know to be a very kind and generous person, is basically being told by demos and others to basically suck it up, she should have known that they were available on a limited supply basis. Well, frankly, maybe she didn't. Not all demos live on SCS or the SU website, iykwim. And how many think of paper as an accessory?

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement of yours:
Quote:

I guess my view really is if I die tomorrow or next week is a pack of paper really going to matter. Probably not.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2009, 06:41 PM   #53  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4dView Post
These colors have been available since August 2008, and we already have two past years of experience that once a popular accessory item is about to retire it is bound to sell out quickly. You just can't procrastinate till the last minute on these things! :(
I think demos know this VERY well. I am not sure their customers are as educated and experienced with a catalog switch over. But I do have to agree that 11th hour purchases are risky at best. It's like going to the store hours before Christmas Eve and expecting the shelves to still be full because technically they haven't closed the doors for the holiday yet.

Actually, it's JUST like a situation I experienced recently. We went to the car lot of a dealership that is closing for good and some lady is having a hissy fit because she wants a very exact color and certain features on a car but there aren't any more on the lot to her liking and there aren't anymore coming. Perhaps a purchase a few weeks or months earlier and she wouldn't face the disappointment of her situation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2009, 06:54 PM   #54  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by biblesistersmomView Post
Please share!
Thanks!
Me, too, please! How intriguing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2009, 06:58 PM   #55  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtgchicView Post
Me, too, please! How intriguing!
I'd be interested as well.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2009, 07:03 PM   #56  

Received 846 Likes on 279 Posts

Valerie thanks for clarifying .

I do think most of us that are "defending" SU have just been trying to say that unfortunately for some people, this is the way things are for now as far as the way SU does business. Maybe someday they will change, maybe they won't. They might end in colors all together after a few years but none of us will know until it happens, if it ever happens.

I've always thought it a little strange that they have card stock in the accessories section since card stock is the foundation of card making but they do.
All any of us can do is try to plan ahead and make sure we get what we want before it's likely to run out. This year I ordered just before the Last Chance list was published because i didn't want to take any chances on missing out on the items I wanted.

So everybody, next year be prepared! :-D (watch, now su will go and chance the way they do in-color retirement) ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 03:42 AM   #57  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know it sucks that they are out of some items. I also missed out on ordering - but it was my own fault for holding off.
All the stamp sets are garanteed until June 30th because SU makes their own stamps.
Accersories like cardstock, inkpads and such are not made by them so it is a different story - sadly.
On the website it does state until supplies last. For those that don't use the website - then your demo should have mentioned that to you.
If you are still looking for cardstock and other items - After July 1st post in the ISO in the B/S/T forum for them. I have done this and I am stocked on last years in colors and Reinkers. There are always fellow SCSers looking to sell these items once they are no longer current. And I paid very reasonable prices for them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 03:45 AM   #58  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This happened to me with Basic Grey. Went to order some paper and poof, it was gone. I had NO idea that they retired stuff.

Stuff happens.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 04:11 AM   #59  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by biblesistersmomView Post
Please share!
Thanks!
I'm be interested too. That would be a great chart... SU incolor alternatives. (like the prismacolor, etc charts)

I have a stash of my favorites from the past years, too. I've always ordered extras in May and been just fine. And, another reason to like digital paper - it never runs out! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 05:07 AM   #60  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by STAMPINGODDESSView Post
...I think that it is important for customers to let SU know directly (vs through their demonstrators) their thoughts and feelings about actions/policies of the company....
Exactly my thought. I'm fine with their policies, I just roll with it. But, I also start stocking up on my favorites early in the year and generally don't order from the Last Chance list. But, I digress. You can complain here until your fingers fall off and it will serve absolutely no purpose. If you don't like the way SU does something, send them a tactful email. There is no guarantee that they will change but your voice will be heard by those to whom it really matters. Enjoy the day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 05:33 AM   #61  
Kookie Creator

I made sure to tell my customers in April that stuff would be retiring. Unfortunate that perhaps the message isn't communicated to all. It would be good to post it on the customer side of the website perhaps. At any rate, it's just paper. Disappointing, yes, but just paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 05:39 AM   #62  
Stampin' Fool

Let me direct you to a thread that I started....

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

It has pictures of what happens when you panic about In Color stuff retiring. I didn't even TAKE pictures of all the In Color ribbon! :-D As a few posters mentioned, I've figured out over the years that I don't need AS much, and have bought less as the years went by (ok...except for Cool Caribbean!). This year, I bought 1 pack of each color, a few of the textured multi-packs, and then I bought 3 more packs each of Riding Hood Red and Pink Pirouette. My "illness" is getting better. I ordered the RHR and PP on June 1st. Thankfully it wasn't out of stock then...but I have mixed emotions on whether or not SU! is responsible for having a huge stash of "retiring" product. It IS on the Accessories list which is ALWAYS subject to a "sell out", whereas the stamps are not. I think it's a case of "Buyer Beware" and if you really liked it...you should have stocked up EARLY when there was no doubt about them having it. Then again...you should see my CANDLE stash! (When I hear a favorite scent is going away...I tend to OCD about that too!) :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 05:40 AM   #63  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizmet888View Post
but just paper.
Okay...THAT comment is just plain CRAZY TALK! :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 05:43 AM   #64  

Quote:

Originally Posted by terry sermanView Post
Just think, in 2 weeks you can all order the new in-colors and the old ones will fade into a memory! I still have 5 unopened packages of cool carribbean b/c I LOVED that color and just knew I couldn't live without it. Once the next round of colors came out, I totally abandoned my Cool Carribbean for them--whatever they were! Bring on the new stuff and let's all move on!
HEAR, HEAR!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 05:51 AM   #65  
ajm
Insane Embellisher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilsonnView Post
I learned my lesson last year. This year I ordered the in color cardstock and ribbon at my stamp club in May. It is hard for Stampin Up to predict the demand and if it doesn't sell by June 3oth they are stuck with the left overs.
I was thinking that there must have been a lot of people who planned ahead like this and placed their orders in May also.

Every year when Stampin Up puts out the retiring list of accessories, it always says "while supplies last", so if 40,000 orders come in on June 1st because they don't want to risk waiting until the 30th or even the 3rd of June, what can SU do?

Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 05:59 AM   #66  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by DisneyDollView Post
Okay...THAT comment is just plain CRAZY TALK! :-D
;) LOL I just delivered 7 packs of Baja Breeze and 5 packs of PP to a customer. I wonder if she's gonna wallpaper her craft room with it??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 06:21 AM   #67  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by prbloomView Post
When money is tight like now, it would seem to make sense to sell all they can instead of "running out" before the current catalog ends.

Paula
If they are out, it sounds like they did sell all they could.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 06:25 AM   #68  
Kookie Creator

I stopped buying in colors because of them only being available for a short time. What good is the ink pad when you run out of the paper that matches it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 10:54 AM   #69  
Kookie Creator

Let's look at it this way...

You're a customer. To be a customer, you need to order through a demonstrator. Do you all have demonstrator's? Did your demonstrator inform you about the In Color's retiring? If not, are you planning on letting your demonstrator know that you would appreciate *advance* notice regarding information on retiring In Color items in the future? Your demonstrator is there to serve you the customer, and you should let them know how you feel. Not all demonstrators visit splitcoaststampers, and therefore certainly can't assist you if you don't let them know what you are looking for. And should you wait til the very last minute to order, and should an item be out of stock, there are a very large number of demonstrators that work together, and it's entirely possible that some of them are willing to trade an item to get an In Color item from another willing demo, all to please the customer! IT'S SHOCKING I KNOW! :mrgreen: You might be able to get what you want afterall! Don't get upset yet when there are still ways for your demo to get you the items you want!

And if it turns out that you are no longer happy with your demo, shop around for a new one. There are so many of us willing to help you out! :mrgreen:

As a demonstrator (you saw that coming didn't you? :twisted, I know that I should inform my customers that the retiring list is coming out soon, and I also make sure to remind them that if they are interested in any In Color products, to order them before the retiring list even comes out (since it's a guaranteed retired item!) In Colors have been around for several years now, so we should all know the drill (as demonstrators.)

Also, as a demonstrator, I cannot stock up on In Colors in May, and then sell them on ebay while they are still current, even if they are out of stock the next month. I can't legally sell them until the new catalog comes out. And if I stock up with the *intent* to sell them after the new catalog comes out, I would think that would somehow violate the cash 'n carry policy. You as the customer should let your demonstrator know if you notice this (and it bothers you) and we can then report others that are abusing the system, so that in the future this won't be an issue. We can't stop it from happening if we don't work with SU to fix it.

Happy Stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 12:03 PM   #70  
Kookie Creator

Speaking to SU "OK You are not going to supply paper give us sneak peeks of the new catty so that we do not have to feel bad about missing the old "in colors".

Sorry, I could not resist.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 12:06 PM   #71  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gracey'sgirlView Post
Speaking to SU "OK You are not going to supply paper give us sneak peeks of the new catty so that we do not have to feel bad about missing the old "in colors".

Ok, did you email that to SU? Concerns posted here will never be heard at SU. They do not monitor this forum. If you wish for sneak peaks, please let Stampin Up know!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 12:32 PM   #72  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by greatdaneaddictView Post
Ok, did you email that to SU? Concerns posted here will never be heard at SU. They do not monitor this forum. If you wish for sneak peaks, please let Stampin Up know!
I jest.

I just find it funny that the new catty is this deep dark secret because they want people to buy from the old catty. Now they can not sell the paper because they do not have it. So rather than have unhappy customers why not throw us a bone so to speak.

With the economy being bad does it really matter if we see the catty before hand? I am always going to buy only what I can afford.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 12:50 PM   #73  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandyKaydView Post
I stopped buying in colors because of them only being available for a short time. What good is the ink pad when you run out of the paper that matches it?
I agree completely! The ink pads last forever but paper does not...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 01:03 PM   #74  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

I jest.

I just find it funny that the new catty is this deep dark secret because they want people to buy from the old catty. Now they can not sell the paper because they do not have it. So rather than have unhappy customers why not throw us a bone so to speak.

With the economy being bad does it really matter if we see the catty before hand? I am always going to buy only what I can afford.
It's not a deep dark secret. If your demo has her complimentary copy of her catalog, she is more than able to show it to you. We just aren't allowed to post anything online. Also, in the past, demos didn't get catalogs any earlier than the customers did, so the demos always had to wait to see the new one too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 01:04 PM   #75  
Rubber Obsessor

I started as a SU! customer during the second In-Color period and quickly realized that I loved almost all of them (including the first set that I had missed). So I did the BST thing and the (gasp) eBay thing until I had stocked up. Last year, I got caught in the out-of-stock issue. This year, I planned, bought In Colors throughout the year and ordered ALL of the In Colors I felt I needed in May. Honestly, I preferred to purchase these at regular prices and didn't want to take the chance of ordering in June.

For this new set of In Colors, I'll plan again. Not perfect, but it worked for me...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 01:07 PM   #76  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

I jest.

i don't think they keep the new catty a "deep dark secret" because they want you to buy from the old catty "only", but to get everyone excited anticipating what new things they are coming out with, including the new in colors.

keep on trucking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 02:19 PM   #77  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am sorry to say this, but I think it is tough luck. WE ALL knew this day would come. Accessories are first come, first served, they are only while supplies last! If you didn't know, then you have a demo with bad communication skills. I told my customers LAST MONTH and reminded them again on the 1st that these accessories would run out and if they wanted anything they needed to order ASAP.

Don't get me wrong. I missed out too! I wanted some more Pink Pirouette cardstock, which was available when I added it to my order yesterday. . . didn't place it until this morning and it was GONE!!

It is a tough lesson to learn, but we snooze, we lose! :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 02:22 PM   #78  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Well demos are posting sneak peeks in the gallery here and on their personal blogs? Is that not enough NEW In Colors for ya? :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 02:49 PM   #79  
Rubber Obsessor

Did anyone get the name of the other company with the SU color matches? I'm wondering if it's Paper Trey Ink. They used to compare their paper colors with several other brands but I haven't seen them do that recently with their new releases.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 04:15 PM   #80  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Your demo should have warned you that accessories may sell out quickly, since SU! doesn't make them (while stamp sets are available through June 30th because they DO make those). It's standard practice to try to sell off product you'll no longer carry--I think that's also why SU! has started to discount many retiring accessories.

I'm sorry your demo didn't make you aware of this. Perhaps she can help you locate some--many of us are in groups such as SUDSOL and network together to help customers find retired product.

Good luck!
--Janis
Reply With Quote Likes