Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-30-2008, 07:00 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SU New Catty's (sorta a vent)

I probably am alone here but is anyone getting tired of all the New Cattys
And limited time to get the stuff you want... I could get myself into a frenzy
overspending (smart on SU's part) But in these economic times (and I'm blessed to be more than ok in that department) I think bringing out new stuff
and limiting the amount of time to be able to purchase is almost mean.
I have given up on SU. I quit my stamp club. I quit partly because I really have enough and partly because I am tired of all the temptation that I have a problem resisting. I know people that have trouble paying their bills that
are still making expensive orders (my Demo feels bad too) because they gotta get it before it retires. Thanks for letting me have my say...
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 07:05 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is SU having new catties any different then stamp companies that have new releases every few weeks? Plus, you have at least six months to get the stamps you want, and that's only if they retire in those six months. Plus, as soon as they retire there are always demos trying to unload them so you could get them later on ebay if you really didn't get the chance to get something you wanted. I don't think it's fair to blame to SU. They are just offering more of a selection then they could have previously. They can't do anything about customer's personal spending practices.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 07:13 AM   #3  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I would be totally bored without the new stuff. I found the 1-year catalog cycles to be waaay too long. I appreciate that SU! puts out new stuff all the time, it keeps me interested. Creating urgency to buy by retiring products is a smart business strategy.

Of course, nobody can ever have everything that they want, from SU! or otherwise. You have to prioritize your wish list. If you miss out on a set, there are always new ones that you'll want more anyway!

SU! did a huge overhaul a couple retirement lists ago, so the retirement lists won't be as long from now on. In fact, they've already announced that every NEW set that was introduced in the Jan 1st catalog is guaranteed not to retire in July, they'll be current AT LEAST until December.

Last edited by krystie lee; 01-30-2008 at 07:14 AM.. Reason: added "new" to clarify
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 07:18 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

How can any of this be SU! fault? It is a smart business strategy - people have short attention spans and want to see new products! What about all the other companies who bring out new stamps almost weekly? SU! is not responsible for peoples spending habits - people need to prioritize what they want. You can make beautiful and different projects with just a few sets - you don't need the whole catalog. And, the catalog that just came out has stamp sets that are guaranteed to be available until at least next January so that is a whole year. I love the new catalogs every six months!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 07:21 AM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

I found myself buying more from the minis over the past year or so - for some reason, those stamps appeal to me more than what has been in the catalog, so I like the different offerings. I do, however, feel for demos who can only demo those stamps for a short time.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 07:24 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdeyes9View Post
I understand where you are coming from. All the new catalogs and the huge retirement list made my head spin. It was all very overwhelming. I had to back away from SU for a while. Now I just have a different buying strategy with SU. I just bought my first stamp set from SU in 7 months. I know I am going to buy more in the future, but I am only going to buy what I absolutely love not just what is cute. I know that the stamps aren't going to be around (popular) for very long so I am not going to waste my time and money on something that is not absolutely fabulous.

SU was smart to promise not to retire anything in the Spring mini in July. Hopefully this will calm things down and make me feel like SU stamps are worth purchasing again. I don't like the gone in 60 second feeling that has been around recently.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 07:24 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

I agree with one point. It's hard to say no, but I'm finding it easier to buy what I really love vs. everything that appeals to me. I appreciate what Stampin Up is doing with the 2 catty's just because I can't fathom the amount of time and research they are putting into doing it twice a year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 07:27 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by frogwomanView Post

SU was smart to promise not to retire anything in the Spring mini in July. Hopefully this will calm things down and make me feel like SU stamps are worth purchasing again. I don't like the gone in 60 second feeling that has been around recently.

I think you might be mistaken-- as I understand it, it is the main catalog sets that appeared for the first time in the Spring/Summer Collection that are guaranteed to be around until Dec 31, 2008. The mini catalogs sets remain iffy for inclusion into the main catalog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 07:30 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

I meant to say stamp sets in the Spring 2008 book are not retiring in July. I know the Spring mini is gone in 60 seconds.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 07:35 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Guess i'm with bdeyes..a bit..lol..i don't buy a lot from SU..but i do have all the spots..and always get their cs..it's the best..ribbon i can get anywhere..the stamps?/..well i guess i own about 4 sets...2 wheels which never get used..am thinking of undoing those and just use them on acrylic blocks..i order from all my different companies on line..i like the variety and don't always like all the stamps that are in a set..i browse through the cattys',
but i find everything repetitive (sp) only mixed up into different sets..
I have the ones i do love..and that's about it..No SU doesn't force people to buy..but they make it hard for the ones that love su to resist..it's all a business strategy (sp) and like all companies..it works for them.
just my own opinion..please i am not putting them down..just see both sides of it..loves ya

When the world says give up, hope whispers, try one more time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 08:01 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

I love stampin up, i love the new catalogs. there are things i must have, things i could have adn things i don't want. i have to prioritize and buy as i can. i have discovered that i can find retired stuff on ebay and if i wait, i'll weigh the 'how much is it worth' to 'how much do i want it?' and decide from there if i must buy it or not. stampin up can't be responsible for people's spending habits. people need to learn to control their temptation, prioritize, and buy within their means. :::stepping down off soapbox:::
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 08:01 AM   #12  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I understand what you mean about a lot of new catalogs. I find it a bit stressful myself, however I love seeing new things on a regular basis, so it doesnt bother me much. I agree with those that said prioritise. When I first started stamping (it has only been a year now!) I made these wish lists that were HUGE! Then I obsessively went over my list all the time! Practically once a day! I still do that. My list was constantly evolving, and I started to realize I did not have to have everything, even though some of if I really liked. If I could go back, I would change the things I bought over my first year. It wasnt till I was near the end of my stamp club, and then I signed up as a demo, that I started to think about things like "How many similar stamp sets do i really need?" So, I try to limit my purchases to types of sets I dont already have, unless I just love it. I am still trying to stock up on ink, paper, embellishments, etc. I love the minis, though it is too bad the goodies arent around to purchase longer. I have to say the die-cut factor makes it a huge selling point. Anyway, you do what you have to do, you know? I see both sides of it, so I think I will be happy if they stick with this system, or if they go back to once a year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 08:21 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

I guess I'm not sure I understand why SU is being singled out for offering people new merchandise. As I see it, retailers all over, both stampin and non-stamping, are constantly turning over inventory. Most of them do not let us know in advance when something is discontinued, so I think in that respect SU is nicer to its customers. At least they let you know so you can purchase the items you love before they retire.

The other thing I appreciate about SU si that everything is organized for me and easy to find in the catalog. And since I don't shop other stamping companies I guess my comment comes from my real-life experience of walking into a store and having everything changed and moved around for no reason other than to get me to walk through departments I don't want to walk through. I hate that! It always takes me way too long to find the stuff I need when they do it. So yes, there may be two big catalogs from SU per year instead of 1, but everything is still organized by categories and there are great indexes so my "shopping" experience is a breeze.

I also think some of the "Stampin' Up! is offering too much new stuff" sentiment is more an issue of perception. Stampin' Up! used to have 2 more mini catalogs per year, and all of the items in those catalogs were available for a limited time only. Now the items that would have been offered in those mini catalogs have been shifted into the big catalogs (so they're actually available for a longer period of time). When you combine these with the items that carry over from catalog to catalog, the actual amount of "extra" new products is not that overwhelming at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 08:22 AM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)
Default I guess...

the fact that you can get the stuff in the large catalogs (Fall/Winter 2007 Spring/ Summer 200
for a year passed me by. The mini's I have always understood were buy it during the catalog period or it's gone. I thought it was that was for the "BIG"
catalogs too. Thanks for making that clear for me. Stepping off my Soapbox now....:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 08:34 AM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

the fact that you can get the stuff in the large catalogs (Fall/Winter 2007 Spring/ Summer 200
for a year passed me by. The mini's I have always understood were buy it during the catalog period or it's gone. I thought it was that was for the "BIG"
catalogs too. Thanks for making that clear for me. Stepping off my Soapbox now....:mrgreen:
Just to clarify, the policy was put in place by SU to take effect with the 2008 Spring Summer collectio, so it did not apply to the 2007 Fall Winter COllection. Basically, starting in January 2008, any set that is new in a particular catalog will be available for at least a year. It may not be featured in the next catalog, but it will still be available for purchase for at least 6 more months on the dormant list.

So, for example, the Happy Heart Day set is new in the 2008 Spring/Summer collection. This set will be available for purchase at least through the end of December 2008. It may not be featured in the 2008 Fall Winter Collection (since it's more of a spring type set) but it will remain on the dormant list and you will be able to purchase it through your demonstrator. After December 2008 it may continue to be available or retire, regardless of whether it was featured in the catalog or listed on the dormant list.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 08:53 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

sorry to hijack for a moment, but I am new to SU. What is a dormant list? is that a list of stamps still available but not in the new catalog? where can I find that?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 09:02 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

After the first $4000.00 it slows up a bit. Then you run out of stuff to buy. Priorities!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 09:03 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by merryfView Post
sorry to hijack for a moment, but I am new to SU. What is a dormant list? is that a list of stamps still available but not in the new catalog? where can I find that?

thanks!
on the SU! customer site
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 09:08 AM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by merryfView Post

thanks!

The link to the dormant list is on the SU customer site at www.stampinup.com under the specials tab.

Here is the direct link to the current dormant list: http://www.stampinup.com/us/document...tlist_2008.pdf

Last edited by stampwithdiane; 01-30-2008 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: sp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 09:10 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

This is silly, I am sorry. No one needs stamps. It is not SU's fault, or any other company's fault, if we cannot manage our money. Demo's do not make people buy things either. We all make that choice. If it is too much for us, we can put the catalogs away or not go to parties and end club commitments. I make choices everyday about what I buy. I realize that advertising is constant and manipulative, but it's my job to filter that, not someone else's. And frankly, I find SU's advertising far more reasonable than a lot of other retailers.

I am much more worried about rising costs of grocery staples and gas, which everyone needs. Lots of new stamps all the time to choose from? Awesome, if I can fit it in my budget. If not, I have so many wonderful goodies to choose from. Plus, part time jobs and demo-ships are available for those men and women who want to support their hobbies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 09:14 AM   #21  
Glitter Guru

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BasketOHeartsView Post
This is silly, I am sorry. No one needs stamps. It is not SU's fault, or any other company's fault, if we cannot manage our money. Demo's do not make people buy things either. We all make that choice. If it is too much for us, we can put the catalogs away or not go to parties and end club commitments. I make choices everyday about what I buy. I realize that advertising is constant and manipulative, but it's my job to filter that, not someone else's. And frankly, I find SU's advertising far more reasonable than a lot of other retailers.

I am much more worried about rising costs of grocery staples and gas, which everyone needs. Lots of new stamps all the time to choose from? Awesome, if I can fit it in my budget. If not, I have so many wonderful goodies to choose from. Plus, part time jobs and demo-ships are available for those men and women who want to support their hobbies.
Amen to that, which is why I still have a full time paid job.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 09:14 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

That was cold...........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 09:19 AM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

And limited time to get the stuff you want... I could get myself into a frenzy
overspending (smart on SU's part) But in these economic times (and I'm blessed to be more than ok in that department) I think bringing out new stuff
and limiting the amount of time to be able to purchase is almost mean.
I have given up on SU. I quit my stamp club. I quit partly because I really have enough and partly because I am tired of all the temptation that I have a problem resisting. I know people that have trouble paying their bills that
are still making expensive orders (my Demo feels bad too) because they gotta get it before it retires. Thanks for letting me have my say...
I, for one, totally agree. I hate it when companies or anything flood the market with a bunch of stuff. It always seems like it's a ploy to just take my money. I remember when Trading Spaces was big and TLC came up with 15 different Trading Spaces shows and specials, and then everyone got sick of it and no one watched it anymore. I'm worried the same thing is going to happen with SU!. People are going to get sick of being bombarded with new products so many time a year. I know I kind of am already, and all my friends who stamp feel the same way. We're all pretty young, some starting families, and none of us have the kind of money to spend on stamping that many of the women on this site are lucky enough to have. All the new products make us feel overwhelmed and like we'll never have all the cool stuff to make all the cool projects everyone else makes, so we might as well give it up and find a cheaper hobby. No one claimed that anyone was forcing us to buy stamps, as some of the arguments on this thread are claiming. We're saying we're uncomfortable with SU!'s business practices and might decide to take our limited funds elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 09:23 AM   #24  
Crimping Master

I actually like the selection and my feelings is if I absolutely love it then I will get it. I am in a stamp club so that helps break it up and I am able to budget for it. I also make a list at the beginning of the catalog season on ones I like and then I look through the gallery on here and it either makes it or breaks it for me. I was loving Holiday blocks until I saw what a limited amount of cards I could make with it so that is on my maybe list and then I saw other ones that I liked and saw all the cute ideas and way to use it and those ones are now on my gotta have list. I am lucky in the respect that there were not too many that I LOVED so that makes it a little easier on the wallet
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 09:26 AM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sibilance7View Post
I, for one, totally agree. I hate it when companies or anything flood the market with a bunch of stuff. It always seems like it's a ploy to just take my money. I remember when Trading Spaces was big and TLC came up with 15 different Trading Spaces shows and specials, and then everyone got sick of it and no one watched it anymore. I'm worried the same thing is going to happen with SU!. People are going to get sick of being bombarded with new products so many time a year. I know I kind of am already, and all my friends who stamp feel the same way. We're all pretty young, some starting families, and none of us have the kind of money to spend on stamping that many of the women on this site are lucky enough to have. All the new products make us feel overwhelmed and like we'll never have all the cool stuff to make all the cool projects everyone else makes, so we might as well give it up and find a cheaper hobby. No one claimed that anyone was forcing us to buy stamps, as some of the arguments on this thread are claiming. We're saying we're uncomfortable with SU!'s business practices and might decide to take our limited funds elsewhere.
Just don't overwhelm yourself. Take it from someone who spent the money for all the cool stuff and didn't have a clue what to do with all of it?? I can't tell you how many times I tried to buy the whole catalog only to end up with so much stuff that I was overwhelmed by too many choices. Be selective in your choices, start slow, and definetly unload anything unecessary on eBay. I could list some things that I consider a good investment in terms of tools and supplies, but again.......those are things I value. Whatever you do, don't give up. And don't let someone else's glass house come tumbling over on you either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 09:40 AM   #26  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

I totally agree with you. When it comes down to it SU is a for profit company and in it to make money. It is not their responsibility to manage our money, we make our own choices when it comes to our spending habits for our hobby.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 09:44 AM   #27  
Mad Swapper

I didn't think the OP's post was silly. It's hard to try to balance enjoying the sets I have and like and wanting to try all the new sets as well. I kind of had a plan of what I wanted to buy during SAB, but it changed a little with the spring mini. I don't like having to try to think so much about how I need to plan my orders. And frankly, I'm not a demo - and I find all the dates of what I can order and when very confusing. I like to maximize my dollars, so I definitely do a lot of planning with my orders, so I tend to agree with her for that reason. But of course we all know why SU does it. I just don't know why her post had to be called "silly" for disagreeing with SUs policy.

But I also didn't understand until reading this post that all the new sets from the main catalog would be available for the whole year. So that's really good news.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 09:47 AM   #28  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

We're saying we're uncomfortable with SU!'s business practices and might decide to take our limited funds elsewhere.
Obviously everyone is free to "vote with their wallet" if they do not approve of a company's business practices but, again, I don't understand why Stampin' Up! is being singled out for what seems to be a universal marketing practice in the crafting industry.

Maybe what would help me understand is for someone to provide a list of companies who do not introduce new products more than once or twice a year.

I know none of Stampin' Up's direct sales competitors fall into that category nor do any of the SCS member companies, many of whom seem to have new product sneak peaks and releases monthly (if not more frequently).

So I guess I'm wondering which company or companies is Stampin' Up! being compared to and falling short?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 09:59 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am most definitely not tired of SU's twice a year catalogs. However, I am tired with myself. I am tired of my own weakness when it comes to buying things.

I tend to see things in black and white. If I can't have it all, I feel deprived and then I feel like walking away from the whole enchilada!

Speaking just for myself, I need to do a better job of handling the onslaught of new products from all companies, not just SU. There is simply too much enabling going on!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 10:02 AM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

Why is it cold to point out that if you want to make money to buy certain things, there are ways to do it? This is a crafting website, not a website about how to buy milk and eggs. Most of the people here have discretionary income to purchase crafting items - and a lot of craft items, judging from posts.

I realize that not all people fit in this category, and we're all feeling a squeeze on our fun money with other costs rising. But there are solutions. You can even have a party to get some things you want free. But I guess it's "cold" to point that out, too.

In my previous post, it would be more clear if I said I have plenty of goodies to choose from that I already own. I certainly do not need to buy more craft supplies. If I do so, it is because I choose to out of my discretionary money. And it has nothing to do with SU retiring or coming out with new product constantly. In fact, 90% of my crafting dollar goes to other companies.

Some ideas are, in fact, silly. Rich American women complaining that we can't buy all the stamps we want and blaming manufacturers for it? That's really silly to me. And before anyone complains about not all of us being "rich", compared to 99% of humanity we absolutely are. When most people don't even have clean water, it's a privilege to look at any catalog and think we can afford even one item. Not to mention having internet access to complain about things we don't like on message boards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 10:03 AM   #31  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampwithdianeView Post
Obviously everyone is free to "vote with their wallet" if they do not approve of a company's business practices but, again, I don't understand why Stampin' Up! is being singled out for what seems to be a universal marketing practice in the crafting industry.

Maybe what would help me understand is for someone to provide a list of companies who do not introduce new products more than once or twice a year.

I know none of Stampin' Up's direct sales competitors fall into that category nor do any of the SCS member companies, many of whom seem to have new product sneak peaks and releases monthly (if not more frequently).

So I guess I'm wondering which company or companies is Stampin' Up! being compared to and falling short?

I think the op was talking about SU because that is who she buys from. You talk about the experiences you have with the people that you purchase from.

I think your above points would be perfect for a new thread. There you can compare and contrast other companies all you want. I don't think other companies have anything to do with the op's SU buying experience which is what this tread is about.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 10:06 AM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampwithdianeView Post

For me personally, I've never bought from other stamp companies because I much prefer SU!'s style, so I'm just comparing them to how they used to do business. I have no idea how often other stamp/crafting companies discontinue their products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 10:10 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkessler73View Post
After the first $4000.00 it slows up a bit. Then you run out of stuff to buy. Priorities!
<SPEW!> Thank God I was drinking well-cooled coffee when I read that! I'd hate to burn my nose....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 10:13 AM   #34  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

I think the op was talking about SU because that is who she buys from. You talk about the experiences you have with the people that you purchase from.

I think your above points would be perfect for a new thread. There you can compare and contrast other companies all you want. I don't think other companies have anything to do with the op's SU buying experience which is what this tread is about.
You are absolutely right about the OP's post, which I actually responded to earlier in the thread. In the post you quoted I was actually responding to one of the other responses, which mentioned taking limited funds elsewhere (I actually qopted the post I was responsing to in my post). I interpreted the elsewhere to mean another stamping supplier and I was wondering who that supplier might be. It seemed like this would be the thread to ask that question, since it's where the statement was originally made. If I made a wrong assumption or I inappropriately hijacked the thread, I apologize.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 10:14 AM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

This thread is getting all kinds of my hackles raised, so I'm just going to posit one explanation for why this bugs me, then I'll hopefully bow out of this conversation, because what bugs me doesn't matter to SU!, and my dissatisfaction with their catalog system isn't going to change it. I think it bugs me because in general, companies are really only after one thing: my money. They don't care about anything else. But sometimes, I get suckered into believing that really a company just wants to put out a product they believe in and do so with a reasonable, not excessive profit. SU's latest catalog schemes have made it woefully apparent that they really are a company who only cares about my money. Now, it's probably my fault for ever viewing them as a company who cares about its customer, what with their behind the times (until recently) angel policies, horrible return policies, and ridiculous (in some cases, not all) pricing. However, I really don't like any other company's stamps, colors, and accessories as well as SU!'s, so I'm kind of stuck.

For those who don't mind the new catalog system, good for you. It seems the majority of people here don't mind, and that's probably why it was a viable option for SU!.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 10:15 AM   #36  
Crimping Master

My bad! Obviously too much caffine and not enough reading.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 10:18 AM   #37  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

This is a crafting website, not a website about how to buy milk and eggs. Most of the people here have discretionary income to purchase crafting items - and a lot of craft items, judging from posts.
You were the one who brought up the cost of grocery items, not the OP - who, as it seems to me, is simply venting about the frustrations of trying to deal with the temptations of new stamps all the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 10:19 AM   #38  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

I think it bugs me because in general, companies are really only after one thing: my money. They don't care about anything else.
I agree with you 100%. These companies are after your money. That is why they are formed. Did you know, legally, Oregon is the only US state that allows incorporated companies to have a legal stated goal other than profit? Really. That is why all companies exist. If you have been very invested in a company, I can see how coming to believe this would be very disheartening.

Buy what you want and can afford craft wise, no matter what company. I like to buy from Direct Sale companies because while I know the company wants my money, at least I can feel like my purchase goes to support a local family or friend as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 10:22 AM   #39  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

My bad! Obviously too much caffine and not enough reading.
No, you were right. I was talking about my prior experience with SU!. I buy nothing of significance from other sources. I'm actually referring to taking my money elsewhere by just using what I already have to make cards and spending money on another hobby. Or just clothes or books. I can't even express how limited my budget is in comparison to most of the people on this site, so me buying stuff from SU! has a real impact on my spending in other areas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 10:23 AM   #40  
Polyshrink Goddess

Yes, Hoosier Mama, I mention bread and eggs because I am trying to point out that getting upset about not being able to by all the stamps we want from SU's many offerings is not a big problem in the grand scheme of things.

If this were a forum about how to make ends meet, i.e. where to buy cheaper groceries, then I would not be suggesting things like taking a part-time job to support your hobby. I'm just trying to put stamps in perspective by comparing them to things people really need, like basic grocery staples.
Reply With Quote Likes