Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   SU Magnetic Platform (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/su-magnetic-platform-573975/)

amyphelps 06-04-2013 08:44 PM

SU Magnetic Platform

FYI, this platform DOES NOT fit the cuttlebug machines. At least my cuttlebug, and my machine is several years old, so maybe a new machine may be a bit bigger? ANyhoo, very bummed - very expensive only to have to re-sell it. sigh.
HTH
Amy

snoangel 06-05-2013 04:58 AM

It's made for the Sizzix, but I thought the Cuttlebug was the same size. Thanks for the heads up.

jeanstamping2 06-05-2013 09:15 AM

The Big Shot is a little bit bigger than the Cuttlebug machine.

I think the Big shot has a thicker opening. than the Cuttlebug.

amyphelps 06-05-2013 09:32 AM

I know, but the other plates work (if you need them to) No doubt this was made specifically to not fit. sigh. THat's ok, I found a local demo that had not bought her's yet, so it's all good. Just had an arrrggg moment there. I'm sure someone will ask the same question here at some point, and the answer is NO, it will not fit the cuttlebug.
off to deliver my fresh-off-the-ups-truck plate to a lucky demo who will get hers pretty cheaply.
Amy

jactop 06-06-2013 06:49 PM

Good to know. Thanks for the heads up.

Makalah 06-06-2013 09:57 PM

I'm glad I bought a Big Shot a couple of months ago - phew! I love my Cuttlebug (mine is one of the pretty blue floral designs) but there are some things that it just doesn't work for. Considering my love of stamps with matching dies, this plate is really exciting so everything lines up and makes cutting even faster. :)

geogymnast82 06-07-2013 06:33 AM

Thanks for the info. I had been looking for information on it since I do a lot of cutting with the thin dies and hate when they move on me. I pull out my Cuttlebug much more often when using the thin dies because the Cuttlebug is smaller and lighter in weight and easier for me to grab. I'll have to re-think my options now since the magnetic plate is definitely NOT cheap.

jestermann 06-11-2013 08:21 AM

Will this fit in Tim Holtz's Vagabond???

Crafter 4 Life 06-11-2013 09:10 AM

I think items that fit the Big Shot will work in the Vagabond and Big Kick machines.

Bahb 06-11-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geogymnast82 (Post 20194298)
Thanks for the info. I had been looking for information on it since I do a lot of cutting with the thin dies and hate when they move on me. I pull out my Cuttlebug much more often when using the thin dies because the Cuttlebug is smaller and lighter in weight and easier for me to grab. I'll have to re-think my options now since the magnetic plate is definitely NOT cheap.

Have you tried using magnetic vent covers from Home Depot. I learned about them on SCS and bought a set of 3 for $15. i only needed one and now use it EVERY time I cut with a thin die. I put the die on it, cutting side up, then the cardstock face down, then a metal plate(helps cut cleaner), then a B plate or however many shims I need. That's for the Big shot. The vent covers are thin and flexible and you can cut them to whatever size you want. I just used my Cuttlebug B plate as a template to cut the vent cover. Whether I use my Cuttlebug or Big Shot, I no longer ask around what sandwich others use because the fact is that the machine keeps changing and even one brand of wafer thin die is not the same thickness as another die of the same brand. I just am careful to use enough thickness but not so much the handle is really difficult to turn. It took plenty of frustration to get to the point of knowing how many shims are too few and how many too much.

At the top of this thread there are option tabs, one of which will help you search. Try "magnetic vent covers".

Have fun!

biblesistersmom 06-11-2013 02:39 PM

Thanks for posting this. I was so intrigued by the magnetic plate, and of course have a cuttlebug. Do you think it's worth upgrading to the big shot?

Ccrops123 06-11-2013 04:04 PM

I have had a cuttlebug for a long time and just got the Bigshot...I use both! Now that the magnetic plate is available from SU, I will love the BS even more. It is more sturdy than the CB but its all about what you plan to use the tool for, and how much room you have to store and use it!

The dimensions of the magnetic platform: 9 x 6 x 1/2" or the metric dimensions are: 22.9 x 15.2 x 1.3cm.

Bahb 06-22-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biblesistersmom (Post 20200583)
Thanks for posting this. I was so intrigued by the magnetic plate, and of course have a cuttlebug. Do you think it's worth upgrading to the big shot?

I loved my Cuttlebug but thought I would get more consistent results with the Big Shot and wouldn't have to keep replacing warped cutting plates. I was wrong. I'm not able to see where the Big shot is an "upgrade". I can't think of anything I can do with the Big shot that I wasn't able to do with the Cuttlebug.......and the cutting plates for the Big Shot warp just like the ones for the Cuttlebug. Besides, the Big Shot is big and clumsy to use, especially if Tabs 1 and 2 are attached, as are mine.

Perhaps the new SU magnetic platform will be a lure that will change my thinking, but I'm anxious to see first if it warps and is also considered a disposable that needs replacing more often than you'd expect. How many of us would have bought these machines if we had factored in the expense of replacing warped parts, I wonder.

Cheers,
Bahb

librarian 06-22-2013 04:16 PM

Big Shot

I sold my Cuttlebug years ago. Love my Big Shot and find the magnetic plate invaluable!

mheartm 06-22-2013 04:45 PM

I LOVE my Big Shot. I LOVE it so much I bought a backup just in case Sizzix stops manufacturing the BS. You just never know. Spellbinder stopped making the Wizard. I still have my Wizard, but I really don't know why. I liked it well enough when I bought it but there wasn't anything else out there at the time. Once I used the BS I was sold. So easy and user friendly. I decided I needed a Cuttlebug. Nice and small and could fit on my messy, cluttered desk. Hmm. I used it once. Bobbi.

FLMommyof2 06-23-2013 05:30 AM

Quote:

Perhaps the new SU magnetic platform will be a lure that will change my thinking, but I'm anxious to see first if it warps and is also considered a disposable that needs replacing more often than you'd expect. How many of us would have bought these machines if we had factored in the expense of replacing warped parts, I wonder.

Cheers,
Bahb
The platforms will not warp. I have had my Big Shot since 2008 and use it for almost every single card. Just the cutting pads warp with use. I switch mine around and have used the same pair for years.

binkiemonstermom 06-23-2013 10:20 AM

I turn my plates on my big shot often and mine are really warpped. I did buy a new set of plates to use with my magnetic platform and will only use them for the magnetic plate.

mamaxsix 06-23-2013 10:38 AM

FYI-I was speaking with a friend who is an SU demo and she said that people with pacemakers shouldn't use the magnetic platform.

pjl-ny 06-23-2013 10:58 AM

For those of you with Cuttlebugs...I saw a magnetic mat this morning just can't remember where. Maybe StampOnit.net?

QueenOfInkland 06-23-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafter 4 Life (Post 20200213)
I think items that fit the Big Shot will work in the Vagabond and Big Kick machines.

Just an fyi for those who do not know and who bought a Vagabond prior to the gauge keys coming out (like me), Sizzix has a set of keys that you can use to measure the thickness of the sandwich that you want to pass through the Vagabond. You may have to contact Sizzix customer service to get the keys - I don't see them as an item on sizzix.com.

http://scraptime.ca/blogpage/?p=4318

This valuable tool is a safety precaution so that you can ensure that the sandwich you're going to pass through the Vagabond machine is not too thick (i.e. could damage your Vagabond).

I prefer to err on the side of caution :) so I measure my sandwiches using the Sizzix keys with all of my sandwiches include Sizzix and t!m's alterations dies just to be sure I'm okay. I really really really do not want to have to buy another Vagabond ;)

Grumpygirl73 06-24-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaxsix (Post 20215536)
FYI-I was speaking with a friend who is an SU demo and she said that people with pacemakers shouldn't use the magnetic platform.

There is a warning label on it to that effect. I don't believe that is any kind of exaggeration. I'd also be careful about using it around cell phones, other electronic devices affected by magnetic fields, or magnetic strip cards. The magnetic pull of that platform is surprisingly strong!

crazysuziestamper 06-24-2013 05:11 PM

I would think this warning should be in the catalog. Someone could order it or already has not knowing this. Then have to go through the hassle of returning it. IMHO

Grumpygirl73 06-24-2013 05:19 PM

I have not seen the paper catalog, but it is most definitely in the product information on the website store.