Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-28-2005, 04:09 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feeling very strange about the way this is going!

Apparently, while I was writing this response, the thread I was writing it for was deleted, along with another thread on the same topic. Big Brother is certainly watching!!!! So, I'm posting it here to get my point across. It may also be deleted momentarily, so read fast!

OK, I realize I'm new here and since I'm not a demo, I'll probably be burnt to a crisp by the angry ladies here who don't like the idea of us "outsiders" getting a peek at the new stamps coming out, however, I have to say that you girls really have your knickers in a twist over NOTHING! Why are you so upset and angry over someone seeing some pictures of the new stamps. It will certainly not hurt your business in any way...it will only make us more interested in buying those stamps. If you want to preach about morality and copyrights, etc., have at it, but it won't change the fact that once information is out there it's going to make the circuit in one way or another.

AND, as Daven said in his post on this subject on the other thread (the deleted one!), Splitcoast Stampers is not, REPEAT NOT, an arm of Stampin' Up and has no responsibility to do anything but keep this board clean under the TOS we all agreed to when signing up. He also said he intends to crack down on people having multiple accounts with various screen names that they use to hide their identity. Now, that, I can understand and agree with.

As a new person here, I really have to say that most of the ladies on here are very nice and very helpful, but I do get a feeling that most of the posters are very biased toward Stampin' Up and tend to get rather defensive when anyone has anything to say that isn't 100% positive about the company. Of course, it would be wrong to go to the Stampin' Up website itself and flame the company, but this is a public forum that honestly has no actual affiliation with that company, other than the fact that many of it's members are SU demonstrators and customers.

Rant over! Just MHO!
Tami
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 04:15 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tami2
... but this is a public forum that honestly has no actual affiliation with that company, other than the fact that many of it's members are SU demonstrators and customers.
Tami
Actually, Daven's wife, Tracy, for whom this website was created, is a Stampin' Up! demonstrator. This site was originally created for her team/downline. I guess I would consider that a somewhat closer link to the company than just some of it's members being demos &/or customers.

Not that that has anything to do with the subject of your post - just wanted to clarify.

(yikes - hope that doesn't come across as being snarky... it truly isn't meant to be so!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 04:18 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I didn't see the pulled thread, but if it had any pictures of sets or talk of sending them via e-mail, I'll bet it was deleted so that the site wouldn't get in trouble. I don't know about you, but I'd hate to see SCS shut down because someone thought copyright violations were being condoned here!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 04:20 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tami2
Apparently, while I was writing this response, the thread I was writing it for was deleted, along with another thread on the same topic. ...
Actually-it wasn't deleted. It was moved. So you may call me Big Sister....

It was moved back because Daven had some good stuff to say.
Just sayin'
atie 2005

ND rules!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 04:23 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

LOL! See how scared we all are to even make a comment! Not Snarky at all.

Thanks for that bit of information; I didn't know that! I was just going by what Daven himself wrote in the thread that was deleted, basically that SCS is not "an arm" of SU and his intention was only to keep us accountable for the TOS we agreed to when signing up here. And as I said, if this were an entity of SU, it would be different, but I believe from what I've read, that it is privately owned by Daven and Tracy and is not strictly SU. I have seen information about other Stamp companies and suppliers mentioned here and it seems to be acceptable to most of the members.

Thanks again for the info.
Tami
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 04:30 AM   #6  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tami you are right that Daven and Tracy have been most gracious about allowing all of us to really use the heck out of this site;)

My concern is that what the poster is offering is not legal to do (and that is being looked into just for our own protection), and may put SCS in an awkward situation. It is different than just copying/pasting a written description (which had been done and was already available on the general board) versus saying "I have created a new screen name in order to send you something I know I am not supposed to do."
To me that is the distinction.
Hope that clarifies matters and why this is seen as a sticky wicket (by me at least). :p

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 04:35 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks Catie, I see that one of the threads has been put back here in the Chit Chat forum. I still don't see the one that was in General Discussin, but it's no big deal, because I agree that it's what Daven said in his post that is important.

It's not going to kill me to wait until the Summer Mini comes out to see the new stamps, but I'm not going to lie and say I wouldn't look if someone showed it to me. It's human nature, and I guess some of us are just a little more "human" than others. I have very strict morals when it comes to things that really matter, but like I said, I think this situation has been blown way out of proportion. It's not going to make or break anyone if the pictures are seen by some non-demos. It really feels like a sandbox fight over a new toy, but if some of you feel that strongly about it, that's your perogative.

My point in starting this thread was to point out that for someone who happens to be fairly new to this site, it feels like there's a defensiveness coming from many of the demos and some non-demos, with regard to anything negative about SU or as in this case, any "spoilers" about SU products. Loyalty is a good thing, but it can be taken too far sometimes, giving the appearance of censorship or clique-ishness.

But thanks for all the new info I'm getting about the origins of SCS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 04:38 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

why they do the things they do

Hey,

I don't think the opportunity of non-demos seeing the preview of the summer mini is the real issue. The real issue is that when we paid to sign up as a demo, we acknowledged that we would not break SU policies.

So ethically it is wrong that the mini preview is posted. It really just saddens me that the policy was broken. I paid money to become a demo and one of the reasons I became a demo was the benefit of seeing the previews. It saddens me that I have been robbed of this.

I don't care as much about my customers seeing the mini as I do the breach of trust that was broken. That's all. And I think that is what others are feeling to. Just the hurt of broken trust. It hurts when you trust that others will follow the same rules that you agreed to.

Now this hurt is not going to ruin my day or anything...I'm not going to stress about it....but it does make me shake my head and ponder why people do the things they do.

oh well
SCS#5115
My Humble Gallery
"If God brings you to it, He'll bring you through it"
My Blog

Last edited by PrideStampers; 04-28-2005 at 04:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 05:30 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrideStampers
Hey,

I paid money to become a demo and one of the reasons I became a demo was the benefit of seeing the previews. It saddens me that I have been robbed of this.
I am fairly new to the site, and extremely new to this thread, but I've read through all the postings and the only thing I'm not understanding is this quote from pridestampers.

I am a an independent consultant for a non-craft company, and I totally understand what you are saying about agreeing to a policy, and yeah - it sucks when someone breaks it, but in this case, I don't understand how you were "robbed" of the priviledge of seeing the previews. How did this one persons post (which I never saw to begin with) effect you personally at all? I guess I just don't understand that.

Like I said, it stinks when people break the policy but with a company as large as Stampin' Up, there will always be one or two in the bunch that find a way around the rules. It's not going to stop just because it's being limited on SCS. If they can't do it here, they'll just find another avenue. And I'm totally with Tami2... If I can find it, I'm going to look!! And that act of looking will just make me that much more anxious to purchase from you or some other demo!! I don't see how this preview does anything but *help* the demonstrators as far as sales/excitement go. Maybe someone could clarify??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 05:40 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Once again-it isn't about "looking". It's about the legality of it. If you have the chance to look-fine. Look. Love. Want to buy. Whatever helps you sleep at night. Do it.

What I don't get is how people are arguing over something that IS ILLEGAL. What part of 'Federal Copyright Laws' is confusing? Someone, somewhere is doing an illegal act by scanning these images. That's how 'Jane Doe' has them available to e-mail. They didn't just magically appear in someone's e-mail. Know what I mean?

And yes. If it can't be done here-it can, and will, be done some here else. But I think it is a VERY sorry thanks to misuse SCS in this manner. Peddle your illegality elsewhere.
That's my 2 cents.
Just sayin'
atie 2005

ND rules!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 05:53 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catie
Once again-it isn't about "looking". It's about the legality of it. If you have the chance to look-fine. Look. Love. Want to buy. Whatever helps you sleep at night. Do it.

What I don't get is how people are arguing over something that IS ILLEGAL. What part of 'Federal Copyright Laws' is confusing? Someone, somewhere is doing an illegal act by scanning these images. That's how 'Jane Doe' has them available to e-mail. They didn't just magically appear in someone's e-mail. Know what I mean?

And yes. If it can't be done here-it can, and will, be done some here else. But I think it is a VERY sorry thanks to misuse SCS in this manner. Peddle your illegality elsewhere.
That's my 2 cents.
*shakes head in agreement*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 05:57 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

People, I don't usually get into this cause of the rudeness that exists here these days.
You are totally missing the point of the upset demonstrators. Stamin'Up! could come in here and totally shut down this site for what has been done! Do you understand the words I just said. It is illegal! I don't think Tracy and Daven have put their all into this place, much less all that money, to have you come in and ruin it for them. How would you all feel if they had to limit this site to Demo's only because they couldn't trust what you people are going to come on here and do. Obviously it was a demo, but Daven has ways of knowing the identity and can ban that person from the site. There would be a lot more control of what is going on here. It isn't about the customers seeing the images. It is about the illegal actions. Stampin'Up! isn't going to let it just slide. They have to protect their bread and butter. This is how they make a living!
Nuff said.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 07:16 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesarapp
People, I don't usually get into this cause of the rudeness that exists here these days.
You are totally missing the point of the upset demonstrators. Stamin'Up! could come in here and totally shut down this site for what has been done! Do you understand the words I just said. It is illegal! I don't think Tracy and Daven have put their all into this place, much less all that money, to have you come in and ruin it for them. How would you all feel if they had to limit this site to Demo's only because they couldn't trust what you people are going to come on here and do. Obviously it was a demo, but Daven has ways of knowing the identity and can ban that person from the site. There would be a lot more control of what is going on here. It isn't about the customers seeing the images. It is about the illegal actions. Stampin'Up! isn't going to let it just slide. They have to protect their bread and butter. This is how they make a living!
Nuff said.
Well said! I am completelly baffled at how people cannot figure this one out! Maybe if you all went in and read the ABOUT page at the top you would have more understanding as to what this site is and why it was created! And I am sorry if those of you feel like SU demos get their undies in a bunch over things but if you knew the history behind this site then you would also realize JUST HOW MANY DEMOS ARE ON THIS SITE! It IS a majority of the members! And they are crazy about the product they sell! This is not saying that Tracy and Daven won't graciously allow people to come here and enjoy it if they are not demos. They have been wonderful in taking care of this place and it's headaches and opened it up for all to enjoy! It's goal was for crafters to come and enjoy and share their work! Not critize and condemn others! Personally... I love to see the work of ALL of the SCS memebers! It is complete inspiration here! But Remember Creative people are Passionate people and are generally passionate about what they love!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 07:29 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

bravo-bravo!!!!

well said! now lets all play nice and be patient for the mini to make its "PROPER" debute...huh?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 07:37 AM   #15  
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

I posted this on the other site but I want to say it again.

As a non-demo I appreciate the gift that Daven and Tracy has given us and I really do not want to lose it.I am thinking of becoming a demo but until I want this site to be available to me and other non-demos.

I think the majority of us appreciate our leadership team and know that being allowed to come here is indeed a gift and a privilege and will always treat it as such.

I have left far more than my share of smart a-- remarks in threads but all that can cause is for someone to smart a-- right back at me or put me on their ignore list. No big deal.

This can shut this site down and put them in court in a heart beat.

There are way more of us that don't want to see that happen than there are those that think doing illegal stuff on here is okay.

Way more than anyone wants to hear from me. Gonna go play nice somewhere else for awhile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 09:10 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

[QUOTE=Sairabee]I am fairly new to the site, and extremely new to this thread, but I've read through all the postings and the only thing I'm not understanding is this quote from pridestampers.

What I meant was I'm robbed of the preview because any and everyone can preview, so it's really not a preview anymore...so why did I pay for the priviledge to preview it as a demonstrator. Previews are now, no longer a benefit to being a demonstrator. So hence I have been robbed of this benefit. I hope that clears up my comment.

SCS#5115
My Humble Gallery
"If God brings you to it, He'll bring you through it"
My Blog

Last edited by PrideStampers; 04-28-2005 at 09:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 09:12 AM   #17  
Mad Swapper

I do not like conflict......never have!! With that being said, could we members just go about being nice to one another and watch our words which can hurt feelings!! Stamping is supposed to be fun and relaxing.....a hobby! Sometimes I do not get that feeling with such threads.....there is an undercurrent of "trouble makers" who seem to get a thrill of posting controversial threads and stirring up trouble. In real life there are such people, but I have learned to avoid them. Lately, I have not been reading the threads.....just looking at the beautiful cards that our members daily post. Something "drew" me into this thread, and I am sorry that I looked and even more sorry that I read it.

I would just like to add one last comment before closing:

I am not a demo....just a customer of SU....a very good customer, I might add. Those with "power" can check my account with SU and see that this statement is very true. There is always a thrill to see the new sets and products in a catalog, but if I were to get a "peak" at something coming out, it would only add to that thrill and make me want to buy it as soon as I possibly could. MONEY is being spent which I think is the "name of your game".....selling more products. Threads that tend to "get ugly" leave a SU customer with a bad taste and may actually run off potential buyers which can hurt the demos.

I do not mean these statements to be nasty and mean.....quite the contrary. This is just my view as a paying customer. If I am not supposed to be a member here, and this site is for demos only, just let me know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 09:24 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Granny Hawkins
I posted this on the other site but I want to say it again.

As a non-demo I appreciate the gift that Daven and Tracy has given us and I really do not want to lose it.I am thinking of becoming a demo but until I want this site to be available to me and other non-demos.

I think the majority of us appreciate our leadership team and know that being allowed to come here is indeed a gift and a privilege and will always treat it as such.

I have left far more than my share of smart a-- remarks in threads but all that can cause is for someone to smart a-- right back at me or put me on their ignore list. No big deal.

This can shut this site down and put them in court in a heart beat.

There are way more of us that don't want to see that happen than there are those that think doing illegal stuff on here is okay.

Way more than anyone wants to hear from me. Gonna go play nice somewhere else for awhile.
What She said!

I think most of us, demos and customers alike, are simply concerned with the impact that this could have on our beloved SCS! Please go play peek-a-boo somewhere else!
SCS #7660

(Ooops! Gotta fix that avatar - scary!!!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 09:29 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by instcollector
...MONEY is being spent which I think is the "name of your game".....selling more products. ... This is just my view as a paying customer...
The fact that you spend money with SU! doesn't make scanning legal. Like I said-look if you want. Just remember that someone broke the law so that you could. If this doesn't bother you-so be it. I am not the morality police. I would like to think, though, that people respect this site enough that they wouldn't introduce this awkwardness. Because, whatever your feelings, this whole thing has, and is, awkward.

As for being a member, but not a demo and questioning your belonging here...EVERYONE belongs here. To my knowledge, noone has been, nor will they be, booted for not being a demo. But the fact of the matter is, this site WAS started as a gift by Daven for his wife Tracy who IS a demo. The Noltas have VERY generously allowed the rest of us to play here.
Just sayin'
atie 2005

ND rules!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 09:38 AM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

I have read all the above posts and I must say that Catie and Lesa are correct. This is not about seeing the summer mini sets. This is about breaking rules that can shut this site down or cause people to loose thier demonstratorship. It's not that we don't want you to see it. Just not this way.

Jan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 10:19 AM   #21  
SCS Founder

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

I don't wanna lock this thread, but please, let's give this a rest now.

SCS is not about censoring information. we RARELY EVER delete posts and we *never* delete posts because of anything they say about SU!

People have different opinions on the issue of what information should be shared and what shouldn't. So be it. SCS doesn't take any kind of position on that except for what I stated in the above paragraph.

what we won't allow is sneaking around and posting stuff anonymously. it's cowardly and dishonest and it undermines the community. the member who posted the offer to share scans from the catalog has been banned, not because of *what* she was offering, but because of how she did it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 06:26 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

What I meant was I'm robbed of the preview because any and everyone can preview, so it's really not a preview anymore...so why did I pay for the priviledge to preview it as a demonstrator. Previews are now, no longer a benefit to being a demonstrator. So hence I have been robbed of this benefit. I hope that clears up my comment.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for clearing it up. I was just confused, and read it as something specific that had happened personally to you. My mistake. No wonder I was so lost!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2005, 12:42 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree that yes, SU demos who sign contracts should abide by them, and yes, there are copyright laws and a million other laws we should all follow and sometimes don't. There are laws that say we have to cross the street at the corner, and there are laws against murder. They are not in the same ballpark. Ever photocopy a page from a cookbook? Ever bring a candy bar into a movie theater? Ever feed a parking meter and stay longer than allowed?

In other words, sometimes I think we have to inject some ethical common sense into some of these discussions. I'm about to become a demo, but if some other demo posts a preview catalogue it will not bother me. I won't break the SU rules, but if someone else does, good grief ladies -- it is just pictures of rubber stamps for sale shown on a website a weeks or months early!!

I think we need to keep stamping, crafting, SU and even the business aspect in perspective. There are so many much more serious things in life -- stamping is an escape for me from the real problems in life. Joyful joyful should be the guide!

Just my 2 cents and hope I don't offend anyone!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2005, 07:06 PM   #24  
Cardstock Collector

Default The new Mini

Okay ladies so lets not get our panties in a twist. I understand that using this site to view the new mini is against copyright rules. If I want to view it that bad there are ways... But that means I must have the coolest upline in the world Because at 9 PM my phone rang and it was my upline telling me she got the new mini and that I was going to love everything. She said when I come over to do some stampin I can check it out. My upline knows who much I love stamping especially stampin' up!! I just met my upline like two weeks ago and she is already the coolest chick I know. She is just as addicted as I am! THANKS A BUNCH to the couple who made this site for us crazy folks to chat about our families,our hobbies, and our passions. I personally am not going to jepordize my being able to use this site. For all of you just dying to see the new mini you might need to get a demo like mine.
Addicted2Stampin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2005, 07:14 PM   #25  
The Digi-Freak

addicted... umm, this thread is really really old? why are you bumping it? This is an OLD thread!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2005, 07:36 PM   #26  
Sassy Shani

:p
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamakimberly
addicted... umm, this thread is really really old? why are you bumping it? This is an OLD thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2005, 07:39 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

So as to not annoy/confuse/censor/anger....this thread has been moved to a more appropriate place.

And, because this has been bumped, I would like to remind everyone of the words of our king.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by splitcoaststampers
I don't wanna lock this thread, but please, let's give this a rest now.

SCS is not about censoring information. we RARELY EVER delete posts and we *never* delete posts because of anything they say about SU!

People have different opinions on the issue of what information should be shared and what shouldn't. So be it. SCS doesn't take any kind of position on that except for what I stated in the above paragraph.

what we won't allow is sneaking around and posting stuff anonymously. it's cowardly and dishonest and it undermines the community. the member who posted the offer to share scans from the catalog has been banned, not because of *what* she was offering, but because of how she did it.
Just sayin'
atie 2005

ND rules!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2005, 08:25 PM   #28  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catie
So as to not annoy/confuse/censor/anger....this thread has been moved to a more appropriate place.
> Damn you thread mover!!!!!
(okay sorry, I could not resist:p )

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2005, 08:29 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

LOL Like I said....you may call me "Big Sister"....
Just sayin'
atie 2005

ND rules!

Reply With Quote Likes