Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-17-2006, 08:15 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EBay & Stamp sets

ok, I'm guilty! I stalk ebay . Though I have never sold anything but I have purchased quite a few stamp sets. I was viewing a few sets over the weekend and noticed that they were all described as "retired" this was not true. I have the current catalog as well as last years and all the sets were in the current catalog (as well as last years). How can this be? How can the seller list that the item is retired when in fact it's not. does e-bay know something that we don't, or do any of you know anything about this? TIA
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 08:31 PM   #2  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ebay itself doesn't write the listings ... the sellers do.
And adding the word "retired" makes a set sound more rare. Unfortunately, there are some unethical sellers on ebay. (There are also legit ones).
You may also find that sometimes sets will be sold on ebay for more than it would cost you to buy it from a demo. It's very much a Buyer Beware thing.

You're doing the right thing by checking the catalogue ... If you don't already have a demo, check the demo locator of your favorite stamp company to find one near you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 08:32 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

i believe they do this on purpose-- by listing as retired when someone(as in ds @stampinup) checks on sales of current sets these do NOT show up. i found this out while searching AND turning illegal sellers. i sent demo support over 400 items in-- this was one seller's newly listed items at one time. i have since put this seller and couple others i watch (to turn in) into my favorites. i am watching from them to be closed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 09:13 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

I too think that some do it on purpose, but I do think that some are honest mistakes I mean how many times to you look in a catalogue and see something you never saw before. A few times I have sent the seller a polite message message letting them know that their set is not retired. Some never reply (which are ones that I feel are doing it intentionally IMHO) and others have replied to appologize and said that either they totally missed it in their cataloge when they were listing or that they didn't have a catalogue to check but that they had thought it was a set that retired.

My creative therapy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2006, 09:52 AM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

I agree with what was said above. I once saw a regular set listed as a "reitired" but it also had the wrong name. I contaced the seller, just to tell her, and she never fixed it. I can imagine the buyer was confused. I know there are some sellers that do it purposely, and some that THINK it's retired. Sometimes I forget... but I don't sell on Ebay, but when I list things to trade or sell here, I forget. It's best to always check for yourself!

Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2006, 10:07 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

ohhh I just thought that maybe they knew something that I didn't and I am a new SU demo, (still waiting for my starter kit to get here) I was watching e-bay and 2 different sellers were selling the watercolor mini set and the regular size watercolor garden set as retired. These 2 sets are in the current catalog, last years and a catalog I had from 1996. I have found this to be true for the past few years. I used to purchase a few sets from there before I became a demo. I wouldn't buy it unless I could get it at a cheaper price including the shipping costs. If with shiopping costs it came out to be more than what I could get it for, I didn't buy it.
Reply With Quote Likes