Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   SU BLACK INK PADS (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/su-black-ink-pads-532054/)

crazykim 07-03-2011 12:33 AM

SU BLACK INK PADS

Hi there -- I was wondering if anyone can tell me -- has SU put out a black ink pad that does not have a purple hue in it ???? One that stamps in black like a stazon does -- nice and black - not purple. Thanks Kim

scrapbook4ever 07-03-2011 01:26 AM

Here Here. I hear you. I hate the purple look too.

winnieu 07-03-2011 04:52 AM

I have stopped using mine as I don't like the purple look either. I use memento black, and archival black as well as staz on black. They cover my needs perfectly.

vz5dzh 07-03-2011 05:06 AM

I got a new one a couple of months ago and it is really black, not purple at all.

stampingout 07-03-2011 06:14 AM

I use Memento Tuxedo Black and Staz On. I used to be a demo, and every single black pad that I bought through SU turned purple over time. Even the re-inker!!! I threw out all of them except one pad, because I actually like the deep shade of purple it gives me. I definitely do not use it as a black pad, though!

Asingh 07-03-2011 08:19 AM

That is really interesting. I wonder why they turn purple over time. I've never had this happen with any other black ink pads but now I'm curious about some of my older pads that I haven't used in a while. Think I may have to check this out.

Minders 07-03-2011 08:41 AM

Mine has never had a purple tint and I've had it for quite some years (is it bad I can't remember how many?) but I tend to not use it all that often because it smears and take a while to dry and mine is old but still like OVER juicy! I tend to use staz-on, it's black black, it's permanent, doesn't smear and dries fast and I water color a lot..

But, I have not heard too many purple complaints as of late so hopefully it's fixed!

craftdoc 07-03-2011 11:31 AM

I replaced my black inkpad about 6 months ago when I heard a rumor that the ink was reformulated by SU. Now it is really black and I love it! Most of my customers have bought the new ones too. Black ink actually does have some purple pigment in it. My daughter did a paper chromatography experiment on some kids markers for a science project and sure enough - the black separated into purple and black spots. Maybe it has to do with age and formulation of the ink. My new SU pad is still great.

mztamela 07-05-2011 07:04 AM

I finally just broke down and threw out my SU black ink pad and refill. They were just way too purple. I've been using Staz-On.

horseygal 07-05-2011 07:47 AM

I like Versafine Onyx black. It is my "go to" black for everything! Too bad SU doesn't sell it :(

contrapat 07-05-2011 07:52 AM

I have an old TAC black pad that I bought used. Why they don't still handle these pads is a mystery to me. The ones I bought on ebay are fabulous. The black is my go to pad, and the others I got are wonderful as well. The actual pad seems to be a more heavyweight and durable material that the SU pads. I've owned these for years now, and only the black has had to be inked. None of that fraying and loose thread thing like my older SU pads end up doing. Why do I have to fall in love with discontinued items???

craftdoc 07-05-2011 07:54 AM

I think enough people complained about the purple tinge that they did reformulate the ink. The new black classic ink is really black. We'll see if it survives the test of time.

craftygirl04 07-05-2011 08:50 AM

Memento Ink is nice and black.

Mindykid 07-05-2011 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftygirl04 (Post 18488083)
Memento Ink is nice and black.

I totally agree!

Tiffy355 07-05-2011 12:06 PM

Wow....Here I thought I needed glasses or something. I always thought it looked a bit purple, but never gave it much of another thought until I read this thread! I'll have to try some of the other black ink pads that you all suggested!

Tiffy

InkStazOnMe 07-05-2011 05:47 PM

Mine always looked purple too. Not a fan.

thescrapmaster 07-05-2011 08:21 PM

I have had mine for years and it hasn't looked purple. I don't use it very often anymore as I like to color with Copics (I use Memento's Tuxedo Black mostly now).