Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-21-2005, 05:20 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cardstock thickness

Can anyone tell me what this means..."Cardstock, 8 1/2x11", 50 pages per pack, 39 lbs."????? Reading it quickly, I figured that must refer to the lbs. used for shipping costs, but 39lbs. for 50 peices of cardstock??? I don't think so!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2005, 06:19 PM   #2  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

LOL, you are right, it is NOT how heavy it is.

Cardstock is sold by "paper weight." I'm not sure exactly what poundage stands for, but the thicker it is, the more "pounds" it is.

Stampin' Up! says that their cardstock is 80 lb. weight. So that 39 lb. isn't very thick.

My package of printer paper says that it is 20 lb. paper.

Hope this helps!

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2005, 06:45 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

The weight in pounds is reference to how much 500 sheets of that paper weighs. The 80lb weight of paper from SU is perfect for cards and scrapbooks. Once you've tried other cardstock, you'll see the difference between the two. Even 65lb paper just doesn't seem as nice. HTH.
Ronda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2005, 07:16 PM   #4  
Glitter Queen

Default thanks so much!!

I knew I would find an answer on this site!! This site rocks! =) Thanks for the clearification!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2005, 08:12 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cardstock is referred to in the paper trade as “cover�? paper.
Cover paper comes in a bunch of different weights, generally ranging from 60 lbs. to 100 or so lbs. Generally, the higher the number, the heavier the paper.

SU’s confetti is 80 lb. cover
SU’s US vanilla & US white is 80 lb. cover
SU’s shimmery white is 89 lb. cover
SU’s brushed gold is 92 lb. cover

When you’re buying paper, make sure you get the right grade (cover rather than text, bond, offset, tag, etc.) as well as the right weight. For example, many types of paper text as well as cover; make sure you get the cover stock because 80# text is actually lighter in weight than 80# cover - for reasons I can explain if you want but most people don’t care!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2005, 08:15 PM   #6  
Glitter Queen

Default Wow...thanks so much!

That was my next question. I saw something referred to as "text" and "cover". Thanks for the clearification!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2005, 12:35 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

OK, I'll bite. I'm one of those nuts who really wants to know the details about paper weight. What is the difference between text and cover and why do they weigh different amounts if they're both listed as 80lb? Feel free to PM me if you want if you think you'd bore everyone but me. I'm always looking up crazy stuff like this on the internet.

Thanks!

Heidi

www.pinkhedgehogpapercrafts.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2005, 04:06 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I sure don't think this is boring, I like knowing the reason SU card stock is so nice and what to look for if I need to buy something else for some reason. Great info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2005, 09:04 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkhedgehog
OK, I'll bite. I'm one of those nuts who really wants to know the details about paper weight. What is the difference between text and cover and why do they weigh different amounts if they're both listed as 80lb? Feel free to PM me if you want if you think you'd bore everyone but me. I'm always looking up crazy stuff like this on the internet.

Thanks!

Heidi
OK, but don’t say I didn’t warn you:

There are five different grades of paper. Or six, according to some folks. Confusingly, there are a bunch of different names for most of the grades, but the five grade names I’m most familiar with are bond, text, cover, tag & index.

You have to know both the grade AND the weight to see how heavy paper is. The higher the number, the heavier the paper WITHIN THE SAME GRADE. So 28 lb. bond is heavier than 20 lb. bond and 92 lb. cover is heavier than 80 lb. cover.

It gets more complicated when you’re trying to compare the weight of papers in different grades, however. Paper isn’t manufactured in 8 ½ x 11 size; it’s cut down to that size from its original “parent�? size sheet. The size of the parent sheet is different for each grade of paper.

The parent size of bond is 17�? x 22�?
The parent size of text is 25�?x38�?
The parent size of cover is 20�?x26�?
The parent size of tag is 24" x 36"
The parent size of index is 25 ½�? x 30 ½�?

Paper weight is quoted by “basis weight.�?
Basis weight is the weight (in lbs.) of a ream of 500 original parent size sheets.

For example, “28 lb. bond�? (like you’d use for office letterhead paper) means that a ream of the 17�? x 22�? parent sheets weighed 28 lbs. Similarly, “80 lb. cover�? (like SU’s confetti cardstock) means that a ream of the 20x26 parent sheets weighed 80 lbs.

80 lb. cover stock is actually heavier than 80 lb. text because it takes fewer square inches of the cover paper to make up the 80 lbs. (because a parent sheet of cover is smaller than a parent sheet of text.) 80 lb. text stock is the equivalent of about 45 lb. cover stock. Make sure you know what grade & weight of paper you’re buying, and consult an equivalency table to help you figure out its relative weight.

You sometimes also see paper weight is expressed in caliper (thickness in thousandths of an inch) or grams/sq. meter. And that’s not all, folks – there are a million other things to consider when choosing cardstock, like the coating, the finish, how it absorbs ink, the degree to which it curls when exposed to heat, the degree of whiteness, blah blah etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2005, 09:20 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by McStamper
I sure don't think this is boring, I like knowing the reason SU card stock is so nice and what to look for if I need to buy something else for some reason. Great info.
As you might be able to tell I've done a little bit of research :oops: & I've found that SU's cardstock is of very high quality. You can get cheaper cardstock anywhere, but the quality won't be this high, and it may not be good for stamping. Also, SU's paper is very reasonably priced - you'd have to buy large quantities to meet or beat the price (and this stuff is HEAVY so shipping charges can mount up in a hurry).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2005, 11:26 PM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

Default SU cs is thick, so thick I need help!

I love SU paper, but I am having a hard time getting my sour cream containers to stay in their shape. They continuously "pop" open. Glue & mono adhesive don't seem to make it hold. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2005, 02:20 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Very interesting, Spammie. Now I have an answer about why, if they are both 80 ob. stock, does US White feel thinner than the colors. Thanks for sharing your info.
Reply With Quote Likes