Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Stick Pins on Cards (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/stick-pins-cards-520640/)

grandepuce 02-17-2011 02:46 PM

Stick Pins on Cards

I've noticed some people using cute decorative stick pins on their greeting cards sometimes. Here's a link to the type of pin I'm referring to:

Cupcake Love Stick Pins Little Yellow Bicycle

I'm curious... do people file down the tip of the pin? I'd like to use pins like this on some of my cards but worry that the reciepient might accidentally prick themselves on the pin when opening the card or something. Any thoughts - maybe I'm making a big deal about nothing but thought it might be worth asking what some of you do before I send a friend to the hospital - LOL :rolleyes:

Thanks,
Tina

Phantom 02-17-2011 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandepuce (Post 17968693)
I've noticed some people using cute decorative stick pins on their greeting cards sometimes. Here's a link to the type of pin I'm referring to:

I'm curious... do people file down the tip of the pin? I'd like to use pins like this on some of my cards but worry that the reciepient might accidentally prick themselves on the pin when opening the card or something. Any thoughts - maybe I'm making a big deal about nothing but thought it might be worth asking what some of you do before I send a friend to the hospital - LOL :rolleyes:

Thanks,
Tina

:^) The only time I've used a stick pin on a card is with the Pretties Kit stick pins from Stampin' Up and they have a little thingy that you put on the end, so there is no sharp end poking out .

Maybe you can find those at the jewelry-making section of a discount store?

scrappintlc 02-17-2011 03:07 PM

I was thinking the same thing Phantom was. In the jewelry section they should have the pin stoppers (?) unsure of name. They should have them in silver and gold.

Cartermrc 02-17-2011 03:09 PM

They're cute, but I don't plan to use them. It's something just waiting to happen IMHO, even if the pins have blunt tips-those can cause as much or more damage as sharp tips. And unless you hand deliver the card, it could get damaged or lost in the postage machines.
In a similar vein, a friend gave me a cute ceramic base pincushion with a little decorative stick pin. Our kitty grabbed it with his mouth and pulled it right out! I was right there to see what would happen, needless to say that or any pin is not in the pincushion anymore.

liannallama 02-17-2011 03:25 PM

I bought a bunch of some pretty crystal and pearl ones but I have been afraid to use them! Does anyone know where you can get clear ends for the pins instead of silver/gold?

debbies 02-17-2011 03:49 PM

I have some and make sure the point is behind flowers so there is no possibility of the pin sticking them.

kphorse 02-17-2011 04:01 PM

Ask in the jewelry dept. for Post Clutches like you put on th back of post earings...

jovian7 02-17-2011 04:07 PM

I saw that someone uses little plyers bend up the point. Another person makes their own and just uses a thing to put beads on from the jewelery findings and so there is no sharp point. I love the look of them

meeyore151 02-17-2011 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandepuce (Post 17968693)

Thanks,
Tina

I'm glad you asked this question 'cause I've been thinking the same thing too! Thanks! :D

Mrs Noofy 02-17-2011 04:16 PM

Sometimes I use sandpaper on the point to dull it. Other times I hide it under the ribbon or other embellishments. I have also added a small drop of crystal effects on the end and stick a small seed bead on the point. Haven't had any complaints or law suits so far! LOL

dottiejdavis 02-17-2011 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs Noofy (Post 17969052)
Sometimes I use sandpaper on the point to dull it. Other times I hide it under the ribbon or other embellishments. I have also added a small drop of crystal effects on the end and stick a small seed bead on the point. Haven't had any complaints or law suits so far! LOL

The stick pins I bought had the little guard on the end. But when I use it on a card I let it stick out it kinda added to the vintage look. These cards are hand delivered or the post office may track me down and arrest me for being a potential terrorist! Grief. LOL.

grandepuce 02-18-2011 05:34 AM

Thanks for the suggestions... I was also thinking of cutting up little bits of an eraser into little cubes to make my own stoppers (as long as the end result doesn't look too cheap).

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has been wondering about this issue though.

Happy Friday to everyone!

Mindykid 02-18-2011 09:55 AM

I wish there was something you could dip the sharp end into that would harden quickly and then just stay stuck on the end. The only thing I could think of was some kind of epoxy. But them it gets all messy and takes forever to dry...yuck.

gargyrle55 02-18-2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debbies (Post 17968945)
I have some and make sure the point is behind flowers so there is no possibility of the pin sticking them.

I love your avatar!! Those commercials crack me up!

oobinsnaffa 02-18-2011 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs Noofy (Post 17969052)
I have also added a small drop of crystal effects on the end and stick a small seed bead on the point. Haven't had any complaints or law suits so far! LOL

I like this idea! Small, cute, pretty, and negates the pointy factor. I'll have to reconsider stick pins.

Mrs Noofy 02-18-2011 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindykid (Post 17971813)
I wish there was something you could dip the sharp end into that would harden quickly and then just stay stuck on the end. The only thing I could think of was some kind of epoxy. But them it gets all messy and takes forever to dry...yuck.

Crystal effects would work the same way I think. It dries as hard as epoxy.

Angela1 02-18-2011 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindykid (Post 17971813)

I was trying to think of a way to do something similar to this but wouldn't you have to put the crystal effects, or epoxy, on after you poked it thru the flower or ribbon? I just know if I tried to do this I would ruin my cards and have wet glue everywhere. I like the idea of gluing a small bead to the point, I may give that a try.
Thanks

debbies 02-25-2011 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gargyrle55 (Post 17971956)
I love your avatar!! Those commercials crack me up!

LOL Thanks! Recalculating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Tamidolphin 02-25-2011 05:03 AM

I had posted the same question last week and the best solution was to glue a bugle bead over the pokey end. Worked great for me

craftsrlb 02-25-2011 05:05 AM

stick pins

I make little drops of hot glue on a piece of plastic, wait for it to dry, then use that as the stopper

Lazorkay 02-25-2011 05:17 AM

I have dipped some in wax from a burning candle or used the hot glue.

Louisa May 02-25-2011 09:55 AM

I've used drops of Liquid Pearls on the ends of stick pins, and I've also used beads at the ends with a little glue to make sure they stay in place.

identicaltriplets 02-26-2011 12:09 PM

I posted last July on this very thing. I use clear earring backs. You can see photos and my post here. :)

Jadiebird 03-01-2011 03:12 AM

You could snip the end off with wire cutters.