Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Stazon ink for Dominos (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/stazon-ink-dominos-296962/)

QueenInkAlot 10-30-2007 11:35 AM

Stazon ink for Dominos

Why can't I use the regular ink to stamp on dominos? Or to color them in?

PaperBouquet 10-30-2007 11:49 AM

It won't stick and will get all smeary. StazOn and Palette Hybrid are permanent, designed for non-porous surfaces. You might be able to make something else work, by heat setting it and then spray-sealing it. But it may not turn out as nicely as a permanent ink would.
Hope this helps.:)

Olivia

QueenInkAlot 10-30-2007 11:57 AM

Thank you!

I'll play around with what I have - I can't go buy any more stuff!!!

Koda's Mom 10-30-2007 12:10 PM

:p Well that is what you have friends for!

PaperBouquet 10-30-2007 12:16 PM

I just thought of this... if you have any acrylic paints you could try that, but will definitely want to seal it with something once it is dry. Mod Podge, glue/water mix, gel-medium, spray-sealant, or something. Otherwise it will just chip off.
If the dominos are wood, you can use a sanding pad to take off the finish, then the paint should stick a lot better.
Hope you can work something out!:)

Olivia

bluesh4rk 10-30-2007 12:27 PM

I have used Staz-on to stamp the image and SU markers to color in the image on multiple occasions. I recommend sanding the domino with a fine grit sandpaper before stamping/coloring and it will provide a tiny bit of tooth for the ink to grab to.

smithr66 10-30-2007 06:44 PM

I soak my dominos in a small amount of bleach overnight. That takes off the slick surface. I've used other inks besides Staz-On with no problems after soaking them, but really - Staze-On is good for so many projects, it's worth the investment.

Wedemeyer 10-30-2007 08:25 PM

I have used black StazOn to stamp the image and then Sharpie markers to color it in. It turns our really nice. Then I seal it with an acrylic floor wax call Future.

stamp1 10-31-2007 08:11 AM

I've used chalk inks and Brilliance inks on dominoes. I just heat set them with my heat tool, then sealing with a light coating or two of Krylon Finish. I've never had a problem with the ink not sticking.

leahpenn 11-21-2007 06:21 PM

photos on dominoes?

I'm pretty new to the site so I'm not sure if this is covered and/or where to find it but does anyone know if there is a way to put pictures on dominoes? I would love to make some of these for Christmas but would like to put pictures on them. Any ideas/suggestions/direction would be very much appreciated!

Leah

lbirus 11-21-2007 07:51 PM

You can use SU's basic black bc it's semi permanent. In fact, you can use any ink on a domino, the issue is whether or not you are going to color in the lines or whether or not you are going to seal it. If you are using a solid image and will be sealing it with a spray acrylic you can get away with it. The problem comes with mixing a waterbased product with a water based sealer or a solvent based product with a solvent based sealer.

So for example, if you want to stamp in a water based ink (like SU's classic) then you should use an acrylic sealer. Anything water based (like Crystal Effects) will just smear it. The same thing is true for coloring in your images with regular ink like the SU markers. A spray acrylic is alcohol (or solvent) based and will not smear.

However, if you use sharpies and spray with the same acrylic spray, it'll make a smeary mess. For sealing on top of sharpies you are better off with a water based product like Crystal Effects or Future Floor wax that won't react to the alcohol in the sharpies. Stazon is basically just like a stamp pad with sharpie ink in it.

How do I know.... hmmm... I speak from lots of experience and plenty of smeary messes!

Play around and remember that you can wipe off or sand off and try again!

Debra Cherney 11-21-2007 08:20 PM

Embossed

I saw some really cute dominoes that were stamped with dye ink and then embossed at Anchor Paper. Has anyone tried that?

Debra Cherney 11-21-2007 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debra Cherney (Post 7788449)
I saw some really cute dominoes that were stamped with dye ink and then embossed at Anchor Paper. Has anyone tried that?

I should clarify. I think they embossed the whole image after it was stamped and colore with clear embossing ink. I should have asked them more about it because now that I think about it I wonder how they kept it from smearing?

Tracy-Stamper 11-21-2007 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debra Cherney (Post 7788449)

This is actually the first technique that came to my mind when I read the original post :)

stamp1 11-21-2007 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leahpenn (Post 7787216)
I'm pretty new to the site so I'm not sure if this is covered and/or where to find it but does anyone know if there is a way to put pictures on dominoes? I would love to make some of these for Christmas but would like to put pictures on them. Any ideas/suggestions/direction would be very much appreciated!

Leah

There is a way to transfer pictures to dominoes using photo copies made with toner or inkjet printers (not laser printers) and a photo transfer pen. You might even be able to use magazine picture with the pens. A Country Welcome carries the transfer pens. You might be able to find them someplace else also. Our LSS had them, but alas, they've closed.

http://www.acountrywelcome.com/ohdom...nsfer-ink.html

leahpenn 11-22-2007 05:50 AM

thanks

This transfer pen thing (to get pictures on dominoes) SOUNDS easy enough...have any of you done it? Is it really as easy as it seems?

dorothyjane 11-22-2007 06:23 AM

Is there a particular type of dominoe you have to use. For instance can you use wood ones or something else. Where do you find them cheaply?

stamp1 11-22-2007 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leahpenn (Post 7789837)
This transfer pen thing (to get pictures on dominoes) SOUNDS easy enough...have any of you done it? Is it really as easy as it seems?

I haven't tried the pen personally, but I have seen it demo'd at stamping shows several times. It looks really really easy. Just pretty much a one step process.

I did a transfer at a domino art class with some kind of a gel or paste stuff (I don't remember which now) and I didn't like that at all. It was messy, and you had to let it dry, then soak in water to remove the paper. I didn't care for the way the domino turned out. If I decide to transfer pictures in the future, I will most definitely get a pen and do it that way.

Anemone 11-22-2007 02:18 PM

dorothyjane - I just bought a domino game at Wal-Mart and used those. I sanded a bit first with a fine grit sandpaper. Stamped in Staz-on, then gave a very light spritz coat of sealer, coloured with Sharpies, then a good solid coat of sealer.