Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-16-2006, 09:10 PM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stazon on Clear Stamps

Yep, I used Stazon on my clear stamps. In my defense, I did this before I realized it was a problem, I wasn't purposefully trying to ruin my stamps! Can anyone tell me what will happen?

I know that there are people who do not love their fellow man, and I hate people like that.
~Tom Lehrer

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2006, 10:46 PM   #2  
Watercolor Wizard

I've never used clear stamps, but I've used Stazon with wood mounted rubber (just tonight actually!). It comes of perfectly with a bit of Stazon Cleaner (by Tsunkineko) and then I spritz it with Stampin' Mist then rub it on the Stampin' Scrub. The Stazon Cleaner is great. It cleans it with hardly a trace when I follow it up with SUs stuff. Try it and see if it works!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2006, 10:55 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Ultra Clean is sold by several companies including Inky Antics. I know this will take off Stazon from clear stamps. The staining on your clear stamps will not affect how they stamp though but you can get them clean. Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2006, 11:14 PM   #4  
Glitter Guru

You aren't supposed to use any solvent (that includes Stazon) ink on your clear stamps - I'm not exactly sure why but I *think* it has something to do w/ how and what they are made from and the possibility that by using said inks you could contribute to their deterioration???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 06:06 AM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

What is the company that makes the clear stamps?

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." David O. McKay
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 06:32 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Mary Beth, to answer your question......It seems like almost all the companies are getting into clear stamps now. It seems to be a trend that is just starting to take off in a big way. Inky Antics just introduced a clear stamp. http://www.inkyantics.com/

Hero Arts also has come out with a clear line http://www.heroarts.com/

I have some from both of the above companies and they are excellent quality.
I have bought some at Walmart that were total garbage and I took them back.
I have purchased the following brands at A.C. Moore and Hobby Lobby:
Image Tree
My Sentiments Exactly
Paper Studio
Danelle Johnson Art Warehouse

I really like each brand I have purchased so far. I find that I get great impressions if I put a computer mouse pad under my cardstock. I have also found that if I condition the stamp by slightly rubbing a pink eraser on them that they work better. I only did this the first time, I guess it took off dust or something I have no idea why but it did work great.

CTMH (Close to my heart) sells all clear stamps and they have some really cute ones. They are a bit too expensive for me though so I haven't had the opportunity to get a set of those yet. I used 40 or 50% coupons to get all the ones from the stamp stores and bought the Inky Antics and Hero Arts on sale on line. Try one set and see if you like them too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 06:40 AM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamping_jen
Mary Beth, to answer your question......

CTMH (Close to my heart) sells all clear stamps and they have some really cute ones. They are a bit too expensive for me though so I haven't had the opportunity to get a set of those yet. I used 40 or 50% coupons to get all the ones from the stamp stores and bought the Inky Antics and Hero Arts on sale on line. Try one set and see if you like them too.

Thank you so much!! I appreciate your help!

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." David O. McKay
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 07:23 AM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

Thanks all. I'm not really worried about the staining, I just heard that your not supposed to use stazon on clear and thought...Oh no, what will happen? Will my rubber disintegrate overnight? Will it start pitting and become a horrible mess? Well, you get the picture. I don't usually clean them up that much, but I think I'll give these a little wash and see if it keeps them ok.

I've used it on MSE (My Sentiments.....) the little silhouette girls, Rhonna Farrar's flourishes and scribble alphas, etc..

Does anyone know if these clear stamps in general don't last as long as rubber (which I understand is [I]almost[I] indestructible....)?

I know that there are people who do not love their fellow man, and I hate people like that.
~Tom Lehrer

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 07:24 AM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

Sorry was trying to make my "almost" italicized....hmmm, guess I don't know how to do that, lol...need some more pepsi obviously this am!

~Tom Lehrer

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 07:28 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Your clear stamps should will be fine with the Stazon ink. They'll be stained, but, they're not going to disintegrate or anything. CTMH, and some of the better quality ones can handle it. Some of the cheap ones, I'm not sure about, tho.
When we got ours, Corp put out a statement saying that it won't hurt them. If you'd like to see what they had to say, feel free to pm me.

Suz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 08:03 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by katrs5

Does anyone know if these clear stamps in general don't last as long as rubber (which I understand is [I]almost[I] indestructible....)?
Yes I have heard that clear stamps won't last as long as rubber (which when properly taken care of can last a lifetime). After a few years they will prolly harden and yellow and whatnot. There is a link somewhere on here that talks about the difference b/t rubber and clear stamps and the pros and cons and whatnot.

That said I just plan on stamping the heck out of my clear stamps to get my $$'s worth and then I won't care if they "disintegrate" or whatever happens to them after a few years!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 08:43 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Thanks all. I'm not really worried about the staining, I just heard that your not supposed to use stazon on clear and thought...Oh no, what will happen? Will my rubber disintegrate overnight? Will it start pitting and become a horrible mess? Well, you get the picture. I don't usually clean them up that much, but I think I'll give these a little wash and see if it keeps them ok.

I've used it on MSE (My Sentiments.....) the little silhouette girls, Rhonna Farrar's flourishes and scribble alphas, etc..
I think the concern is more about the solvent based cleaners used to remove the staining left behind from solvent inks? I could be wrong, however.

I use Stewart Superior Ultra Clean--it's designed and recommended to be safe for both clear polymer/silicone and rubber stamps. It removes stains on any stamps better than anything else I have EVER used. Incredible stuff.

Easily found online at a number of e-tailers.

Quote:

Does anyone know if these clear stamps in general don't last as long as rubber (which I understand is [i]almost[i] indestructible....)?
The (general and somewhat vague) consensus seems to be that they will not last as long as rubber, but because they are a fairly new development as far as stamping goes, it's still being monitored as to what their longevity really is.

Mebbe someone with experience in the polymer industry can chime in with more accurate info?

I'll tell ya' the only thing(s) I know for sure:

Rubber can and will deteriorate from exposure to sunlight, and constant contact with petroleum based oils.

A rubber stamp CAN be worn out, over the years, from repeated use.

Clear polymer stamps stain easily, and it's impossible to remove ALL staining, but as long as they are well cleaned, the staining doesn't impeded their use.

Clear polymer will yellow if exposed to sunlight. Doesn't impede their use, however. Just doesn't look so purdeeeee.

Cleaning clear polymer by washing in warm water + Fairy Liquid rejuvenates their "cling".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 08:49 AM   #13  
Gabfest Goddess

Thanks Julie and AmyR! I'm glad I will get more stamping out of them

Oh and Julie, my sympathies on your itty bitty bg's splatter. I know they should last a lifetime, but even rubber has its limits, lol! If they ever discontinue, you'll have to buy a lifetime supply!

~Tom Lehrer

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 09:56 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Thanks Julie and AmyR! I'm glad I will get more stamping out of them

Oh and Julie, my sympathies on your itty bitty bg's splatter. I know they should last a lifetime, but even rubber has its limits, lol! If they ever discontinue, you'll have to buy a lifetime supply!
Thank you, Brandy. I am still grieving its demise . . .

Reply With Quote Likes