Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Staples as emblishments (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/staples-emblishments-27347/)

billsbrowneyedgirl 02-02-2005 11:37 AM

Staples as emblishments

Im so not sold on this yet.
To me they just look like something is just stapled on a cute card.
What do you think?

Denise

Kymbers_Stampin 02-02-2005 11:37 AM

Would love to see a sample because I know I could never do it.

mdcarter 02-02-2005 11:39 AM

I, too, think that. However, now that they are coming out with colored staples - oh, cool!! I got a swap at St. Louis that used dark blue staples. It was neat.

How come every time I tried to type staple, it came out stamp?!! Too funny!!

irishjc820 02-02-2005 11:54 AM

That's interesting that you mentioned that because a group of ladies in my upline and I were having this discussion after a group meeting on Saturday. Someone's swap used a staple and I thought it looked fine, but others in my group really disliked it. Personally, I would have used brads rather than a staple, but the staple wasn't totally awful. I'm not completely against the use of them, but for anyone who's a demonstrator, why promote the use of something like a staple than you can get anywhere when a brad or another SU product would do the same job?!

jbalcer 02-02-2005 11:57 AM

I think staples look great with a shabby chic look. Also can be masculine!

They have colored staples at Target and many office stores, as well as at your local scrapbook store. I love them, and have been hoarding . . . err, collecting them for future use. . . for a while! I got turquoise ones shortly after Chandler was born back in 97! :D

There are several cards in the gallery using staples. Scrapbook pages, too. I love them with gingham!

love6kids 02-02-2005 12:01 PM

I have to agree with Jenn. I think they are a very cute, and very inexpensive look with the shabby chic look. I bought a box of about a gazillion at the scrapbook store. I swear they will last a lot longer than I will! They are in very cute colors.
Isn't it interesting how everyone has such different tastes! Fun, huh?
:) Alicia

carolync6 02-02-2005 12:02 PM

I have to say that I think it looks kind of unfinished. Not the best way to go IMHO. I was surprised to see that SU had a stapled sample. I have some colored staples that I use with bag toppers and such, but I don't think I'd use them on a card. Never say never though!

Carolyn

ScrappyStamper 02-02-2005 12:11 PM

The first time I saw a staple on a Stampin' Up sample, I thought it was a mistake! I think they look tacky. To each his (or her) own, I guess. Glad to know I am not the only one who was thinking this way!

11Valerie11 02-02-2005 12:17 PM

I think they have their place. I really love when there are a few ribbon flags attached in different ways....brads, staples, bead spacers, etc. and think the variety is pretty cool. Although, I love mismatched eclectic tableware and chairs, too.........just can't convice my DH on that one!

Valerie

dawn g 02-02-2005 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11Valerie11
I think they have their place. I really love when there are a few ribbon flags attached in different ways....brads, staples, bead spacers, etc. and think the variety is pretty cool. Although, I love mismatched eclectic tableware and chairs, too.........just can't convice my DH on that one!

Valerie

I agree. In certain instances and styles, I think it looks very cool. It looks to me, where I've seen them, they kind of have a matchbook look. And how easy is it to staple something? :wink:

AshleyAnne 02-02-2005 01:02 PM

Okay, now y'all are making me feel bad. :cry:

I used a staple on the swaps I'm bringing to SA Regionals on Saturday. Does this mean I need to go back and rework my swaps?!?!?

BTW - there are 100 of them!

Kymbers_Stampin 02-02-2005 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshleyAnne

I used a staple on the swaps I'm bringing to SA Regionals on Saturday. Does this mean I need to go back and rework my swaps?!?!?

BTW - there are 100 of them!

Oh, don't feel bad. I just couldn't do it myself since I spend so much of my day stapling and copying. To me they are part of my work life, not my crafty life. Like I said, samples would be good, and they were. I think colored staples might be cool, but I didn't see any in the gallery (but it was moving slow again).

carolync6 02-02-2005 01:17 PM

Don't feel bad because of what I said Ashley. I would definitely take a swap with a staple on it. Just because I don't think it's great doesn't mean my customers wouldn't love it.

Carolyn

CrabbyAbbe 02-02-2005 01:19 PM

I love the staples, in fact Michaels has a set that comes with a stapler and a bunch of colored staples for $5. I am waiting for a coupon and then i am going to buy them.
BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! :twisted:
Staples are awesome, you guys just need to give them a chance.

stampinbird 02-02-2005 01:29 PM

don't really like them, but if they were colored ???? Maybe?!

Charmed 02-02-2005 01:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
here is a sample of a card I did using a staple. I really like the look it gives. But I do agree, it sometimes just does not suit the card, and a brad or eyelet would work better.

For this card, the staple is purple, and matches the perfect plum paper almost perfectly!!

needsmorestamps! 02-02-2005 01:38 PM

I've got a card in my gallery with a staple. It's the retired calm seas card.

Edited to add link:

http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.co...cat=500&page=1

you can barely see the staple on the ribbon though

Proverbs31 02-02-2005 01:43 PM

It's just the cool trend for right now. I personally like it a lot!
It's amazing to me how trends come and go not only in fashion but also crafts.

I mean, when I started scrapbooking years ago the trend was that all your pics had to be cut with circle cutters or oval cutters and could ONLY be pasted on white pages....boy, look at how far we have come!

Many of my customers hate the look of torn paper/cardstock because they think it looks sloppy! Go figure.

jenhenry 02-02-2005 02:13 PM

Ashlee,

One of the swaps I am bringing uses staples to attach ribbons. It looks like this but uses Fine Frames and Sincere Saluations instead of Mon Ami like I did with this one.http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.co...cat=500&page=1 *** Not sure why it wouldn't post this image from the gallery. Here's the link: http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.co...cat=500&page=1

I think when they are used to evoke a certain style like shabby chic they are super cute. I wouldn't worry that there are people who just don't jive with that style. I have received quite a few swaps that I just don't prefer the technique or the style.

BTW, I just had a $569 workshop demoing the above card, where some people bought the supplies to make the exact same thing. So customers may like it even if demos don't.[/url]

smerrscrap 02-02-2005 02:14 PM

I think it's cute to staple on a ribbon, use on ribbons for tags. might could make a notepad with them. I would use them to create a little pocket instead of gluing. I personally have pondered this, but have yet to use them.

stampin3 02-02-2005 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrabbyAbbe
I love the staples, in fact Michaels has a set that comes with a stapler and a bunch of colored staples for $5. I am waiting for a coupon and then i am going to buy them.
BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! :twisted:
Staples are awesome, you guys just need to give them a chance.

Kirstin - I bought that with my coupon. I like the look of staples. While I don't use them all the time....I do use them. :) I have seen some great samples using them - I think sometimes it is just the right touch.

Consuelo 02-02-2005 02:35 PM

I was surprised to see samples in the IB&C with staples. Can't say that I'm sold on it yet.

tmarie 02-02-2005 03:01 PM

I really like the staples used on cards! I know it is not something we are all used to yet, but I think you will see more and more of them used.

You don't have to go and buy all those colored staples, you can just use your Sharpie markers and color them yourself! :D

Stacy Hollingsworth 02-02-2005 03:08 PM

Here is a card I used staples on:

http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.co...cat=500&page=2

I love using staples - it gives a collage-y feel to the card, and adds some texture.

iris 02-02-2005 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshleyAnne

No way Ashley, don't change your swaps :shock:
I would love to get a swap with staples!! I just got some turquoise ones at Wal-Mart Saturday and did a card with them and uploaded it this morning.
I went a little crazy with them I liked them so much!!

Oh, I love the idea of coloring them with markers!

Consuelo 02-02-2005 03:38 PM

I agree with Pam. I'll swap with you!!

Happy Heart 02-02-2005 04:42 PM

I think it depends on how they're used. I don't like to see something stapled every which way without rhyme or reason...I just think it looks messy and thrown together. Don't think I'd mind a couple that were strategically placed. I think people like to receive cards that look professional and neatly put together. Staples just don't usually meet that criteria for me.

arcopes 02-02-2005 04:44 PM

I totally agree with Jenn. They look great on a shabby chic page, or card. For some things they work, for others they look silly. I like them for just tacking on a small bit of ribbon.

Jenhenry...that card of yours with the Mon Ami set ROCKS! I never thought about using a bit of CS with a stamped message for a ribbon type embellishment. Very creative!

A.

sadiealexcody 02-02-2005 04:53 PM

Do you guys all know that good old Wally World carries colored staples??? They're in by all the office stuff. I think they only carry three colors - green galore, brilliant blue and lovely lilac. (Funny how you learn to talk in S-Up colors.) I think each pkg. (maybe 500?) was only like $1.24 if I remember correctly???

CrabbyAbbe 02-02-2005 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmarie

You don't have to go and buy all those colored staples, you can just use your Sharpie markers and color them yourself! :D

oooh! thanks for the tip.

JulieHRR 02-02-2005 05:32 PM

I like them muchly, but, it does depend on the style of the card? With some designs, the staples just seem "suited" for it, and on others, out of place.

Looks good on masculine cards, shabby chic, "distressed" stuff?

I don't care for them on anything elegant, victorian, etc. UKWIM?

In all, tho, I like 'em, and the colors they come in are very "kewl"!

frankie 02-02-2005 06:08 PM

I LOVE staples and was thrilled to see SU using them :D
My customers really like seeing & learning the latest trends & techniques and love when we staple things.

Jackie G 02-02-2005 06:08 PM

I think staples are excellent!!! Again, on the right card but man, on the paper bag books the staples look great. I love that something so cheap can add a cool look to a creation. The tip on using Sharpies is just awesome!!! I will have to give it a try!

Julie HRR-- luv the "muchly" Made me laugh! :lol:

billsbrowneyedgirl 02-02-2005 07:39 PM

Ok, Im glad I brought this up. The few I had seen, they just looked unfinished to me, I looked at 3 of the ones attached to this, the in full bloom-really liked that, but it wasn't silver, it matched the flower-very nice. The light house one, it was silver, but with the black and white card, it happened to look perfect, holding the ribbon down, and then the one with the staples made into a starburst type of think. Cute, you all are changing my mind. Really think the colored ones would be fun.

Denise

wisstamper 02-02-2005 07:59 PM

I took a class with Tim Holtz - we were working on some watercolor cards, with some layering and mine just looked like it needed something - not quite finished. I asked him for help and he took it and pounded about 5 staples into it and said "there you go". I was amazed! It was so cool and now I'm hooked on them. Just another form of art. I'm getting to like jumping out of the box more and more these days!
Nancy D from Wis.
[email protected]

sadiealexcody 02-02-2005 08:01 PM

Where is this starburst stapled card? Can anyone direct me to it?

Lisa M 02-02-2005 08:05 PM

I'm with you...I think it looks too much like office paperwork. I'm always surprised when I read in the magazines that someone "loves staples."

smartinez182 02-02-2005 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrappyStamper
The first time I saw a staple on a Stampin' Up sample, I thought it was a mistake! I think they look tacky. To each his (or her) own, I guess. Glad to know I am not the only one who was thinking this way!

I couldn't agree more. I just think they are tacky and am very surprised the stuff in the Stampin Success mags have cards with staples. I think a brad would look just fine and not so cheep.

Just my $.2.(Since when did the cents symbol get taken off the keyboard. Shows you how much I use it. :lol: :lol: )

Donna Cook 02-02-2005 08:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I think with the right mood it can look pretty good. If you have a fluffy pink mood, it will look like you stuck your card togther with a staple. If you use torn edges and silver ink, which sort of coordinates with your ordinary staple...and use a collage effect, I think you can get by with a staple...for fun 8) . I'm going to try to attach a photo of a trading card that I just sent in for the TC swap, I hope people are not too grossed out! :oops:

AshleyAnne 02-02-2005 08:29 PM

Thanks for the support! Y'all are the BEST!!!

But after looking at the cards again, I think I'm going to try something different.

It's going to be a very late night tomorrow night!