Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-25-2009, 03:51 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello Charleston, South Carolina!

I will be visiting my daughter (who just moved there last week) the last week in October. Anyone doing any craft shows in that area? What shops are a must visit? What sights are a must see? What should we definately not waste our time on?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2009, 09:26 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhb1281View Post
I will be visiting my daughter (who just moved there last week) the last week in October. Anyone doing any craft shows in that area? What shops are a must visit? What sights are a must see? What should we definately not waste our time on?
The way to see most of old Charleston is by walking. Make sure you see the Battery, and Rainbow Row and just wander through the streets in that part of town. Take the boat out to Fort Sumter. Make sure you take home a sweet grass basket- although you'd do better to buy one along the road near Georgetown than in Charleston. There are several marvelous plantations in the area around Charleston. Beaufort is a gorgeous little town nearby. The whole area is wonderful- enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2009, 01:26 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

tchk Thanks for all the tips. I have never heard of a sweet grass basket but will be on the lookout for one. Thanks again! Anyone else?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2009, 07:21 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's also a market in the downtown area that is fun to walk through - the last building closest to East Bay St. has some local foods that might be fun for you to take home and try. I could spend the day just walking around downtown and taking in the beautiful homes - and have done so! If you do, be sure to go by the Dockstreet Theater and St. Philips church/cemetary. You can take a carriage tour during which the guide gives you some of the history and significance of certain areas/buildings. Depending on what you like there's also an aircraft carrier in the harbor that is now a museum. If you enjoy walking and it's a nice day, the fairly new bridge from downtown to Mt. Pleasant has a walking lane and it's a great view. On Sat. mornings there's a big "farmer's market" at the corner of Calhoun and King streets - they sell more than just produce.
It's difficult to go wrong if you've never been. I'm sure that I'm leaving a lot out. My dh is from Charleston and my dd goes to college there, so we're there quite a bit. Hope you enjoy it!

Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2009, 08:40 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Thank you Julie! Adding your suggestion to my list. We love walking on a nice day. Anyone else?? How about you crafters that live there?? Any craft stores or craft shows going on the last 2 weekends in Oct? My two daughters and I love crafts off all kinds. Also need suggestions of anyplace that would be great to take my 4 yr old granddaughter and 2 yr old grandson for fun. My son n law is stationed at the base in Charleston and anything in that area or surrounding area we would love to know about.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2009, 09:38 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your granddaughter and grandson would love the aquarium and it's right downtown - forgot about that! I can't speak to the crafts - my inlaws who also stamp generally complain that there's not a really good stamp store. There is a scrapbooking/stamping store in Mt. Pleasant, but it's not very big. Sorry, can't remember the name off the top of my head.

Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2009, 06:21 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks Julie. They visited the aquarium last week and they loved it. I will have to keep Mt Pleasant in mind. I have never gone away from home and returned without at least one new rubber stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2009, 04:11 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Would love to hear from the crafty ladies that live in Charleston. Where do you get your craft supplies and are there any craftshows schedueled during the end of October in the area? My daughter who just moved to Charleston loves stamping, papercrafts and scrapbooking. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 06:08 AM   #9  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry I have no papercrafting suggestions for you--just wanted to say be sure to try the she-crab soup when you are there--it might possibly be the most divine thing I have ever eaten. Not kidding.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 03:38 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

GWTW wow that must be a great soup! Thanks for the tip!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2009, 10:20 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks again for all the above suggestions. I leave tomorrow! Anyone else with any last minute tips?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2009, 12:03 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am so jealous. I went to Charleston 3 years ago and long to go back. One day I'll get there again.
Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved. Acts 4:12
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2009, 08:24 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Not sure if you will see this but visit Scrappin at the Pink House. Their website is Scrappinatthepinkhouse.com.

There was also a scrapbook store in Mt. Pleasant when I lived in SC. I think the name was actually A Scrapbook store. Not sure if it is still there.

If you get a chance to go the beach at Isle of Palms (not far from Charleston) I recommend breakfast at Sea Biscuit. Not sure what they do to the but they have the best homefries and crab omlett.

After breakfast walk it all off by walking the Ravenal Bridge. You'll get in a good workout do this.

Have fun. I love Charleston.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2009, 07:17 AM   #14  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by pricecheckView Post
I am so jealous. I went to Charleston 3 years ago and long to go back. One day I'll get there again.
Me, too. I was utterly taken with that city. I WILL go back someday!
Reply With Quote Likes