Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-05-2019, 04:28 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Recommendations wanted.

Right, not really a stamping question, but wanted to put out here that I've just started a thread in the Everday ChitChat section, asking for recommendations on where to visit in the US. Just wanted to make a mention here in case some people don't visit that particular section very often. Thanks guys.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2019, 05:19 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Hey Shaz! Cool that you're coming to the US, but that's a pretty open-ended question! This is a very big, very varied country, so my first question back to you would be: what type of experience(s) are you looking for? "Touristy", regional, day-to-day culture, some of everything? I know where MY favorite places are, but they may not be your thing. Also, most of my faves are West coast-ish, and some of them depend on which season it is, as well. More info, please, so I can be more helpful...?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2019, 08:30 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Lol, yes I get that. I think I'm a bit vague as this is only just being thought about. Basically, Hubby looks like he's going to be made redundant, so we're likely to take the opportunity for a big holiday, and the US would be an ideal place. Looking probably 3 - 4 weeks, and to be realistic, this is unlikely to be much before August at the earliest, allowing for the whole redundancy procedure, notice being worked etc. May even be later than that, as I say it's a bit uncertain yet.
We were thinking to fly over, do car rental to see an area, then fly on to another state, and so on.

All I can say really is that when we go abroad, we like to 'get the real flavour' of a country & it's history. Does that help? Obviously things like Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Golden Gate bridge will be on the list, and I've always wanted to visit New Orleans.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2019, 06:18 PM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here’s me longing to visit England... ! But welcome to North America! If you are open to a side trip into Canada, may I suggest flying into Calgary Alberta? You can experience the wide open Canadian Prairies on one side, and the majestic Canadian Rockies on the other. An hour and a bit drive west from the Calgary airport brings you to the mountains and 2 or 3 days would you allow you some time to explore! The renown Chateau Lake Louise is worth a stop. A drive up the Columbia Icefields Parkway takes you to Jasper, a bit less touristy but beautiful. Then you can fly out of a Edmonton and on to your next adventure!

Really, lots to see and you can wet your appetite if you do a google search
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2019, 05:03 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I’d recommend Boston, New York, Washington DC for an East Coast swing—lots of history and national monuments, and all three are easily accessible by train without renting a car. You could then fly to New Orleans, one of my favorite cities because there’s great food, great music, great stories, and it’s such a fun place to walk around. Definitely get San Francisco in your West Coast swing, another city with lots of flavor. And if you can get some time near Denver, even for a quick day trip up to the Rockies, I think you’d really enjoy the majesty of the mountains. I live in NYC, so if you’d like anything more specific, DM me. Happy travel planning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2019, 03:30 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 104 Likes on 55 Posts

We have met many European's who travel by air to San Francisco or Los Angels and then rent an RV from Cruise America : America's RV Rental Experts - Guaranteed Bookings - 24/7 Customer Service - Cruise America
The people we have met drove to the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Mesa Verde, Las Vegas, Santa Fe, NM, and other destinations west of the Rockies. If you like Rv'ing, this may be an option for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2019, 05:45 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are going to San Fransisco, to go Muir Woods, too. Then Yosemite is definitely one of the most beautiful places on the entire planet and pretty close to SF. I agree that for historical things, you need an East Coast destination too. Boston and DC would be part of that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2019, 12:06 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

How exciting! Please think about your timing. August in the USA is mostly dreadfully hot. Sept. Oct would be better.

Niagara Falls...Washington DC (that could take a full week!)...So many beautiful places in between the coasts...Grand Canyon is a Must. Make reservations if you want to overnight at the rim [recommended so you can see a sunrise]....Yosemite is Beautiful....Yellowstone is amazing...Mount Rushmore is impressive.

However, so many of these have no airport, so you'll need to plan your flights to land close enough to drive. You could look online at Food Network's Guy Fieri's Diners, Drive-ins and Dives TV show, and plan your USA tour using his recommendations!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2019, 04:58 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
Lol,
All I can say really is that when we go abroad, we like to 'get the real flavour' of a country & it's history. Does that help? Obviously things like Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Golden Gate bridge will be on the list, and I've always wanted to visit New Orleans.

Yes! And I think the Western US (NOT California) gives the best sense of what makes us different from Europe, in terms of both scenery and culture. That said, the two states here that appear to me to be the LEAST developed, most pristine, are Utah and Mississippi. Don't hate me, all of you from other beautiful places, but these are not only beyond gorgeous, but also repositories of great crossroads of American history. In Utah, 75% of which is owned by the State or Federal goverments and ergo still natural, American Indian history meets the old West and Mormon settlement, not to mention that a huge percentage of American fWesterns were filmed there, and there are preserved movie sets to visit. Mormon settlement is only a part of that state's historical interest. In Mississippi, the Natchez Trace, a paved highway running along forest preserves from the Gulf of Mexico to Nashville, Tennessee, is a crossroads of almost all American history. The original path is still there with historic sites preserved. American Indian history (it was originally an Indian road) meets American Colonial history (it was important in our War with you in 1812) and the history of enslaved people in the U.S. The stops and historic sites are not to be missed. In Northeast Mississippi, the Delta is the place of origin of all American popular 20th century music, country, blues and others. There's a blues museum in the Delta, and in Jackson, the State capitol, incredible museums, equal to any I've seen in New York City, documenting the history of the Civil War and slavery in the U.S.

On and on I go, but these are not typical venues for European visitors, and I wanted you at least to know about them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2019, 05:19 PM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts

Shaz, you have started a great thread with people weighing in. I am in Canada (Vancouver area) but I think Nashville, Tennessee would be wonderful to visit. Good food, music and people, I have heard! And then you could go to Memphis if you are an Elvis fan.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2019, 08:45 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louisa MayView Post
Yes! And I think the Western US (NOT California) gives the best sense of what makes us different from Europe, in terms of both scenery and culture. That said, the two states here that appear to me to be the LEAST developed, most pristine, are Utah and Mississippi. Don't hate me, all of you from other beautiful places, but these are not only beyond gorgeous, but also repositories of great crossroads of American history. In Utah, 75% of which is owned by the State or Federal goverments and ergo still natural, American Indian history meets the old West and Mormon settlement, not to mention that a huge percentage of American fWesterns were filmed there, and there are preserved movie sets to visit. Mormon settlement is only a part of that state's historical interest. In Mississippi, the Natchez Trace, a paved highway running along forest preserves from the Gulf of Mexico to Nashville, Tennessee, is a crossroads of almost all American history. The original path is still there with historic sites preserved. American Indian history (it was originally an Indian road) meets American Colonial history (it was important in our War with you in 1812) and the history of enslaved people in the U.S. The stops and historic sites are not to be missed. In Northeast Mississippi, the Delta is the place of origin of all American popular 20th century music, country, blues and others. There's a blues museum in the Delta, and in Jackson, the State capitol, incredible museums, equal to any I've seen in New York City, documenting the history of the Civil War and slavery in the U.S.

On and on I go, but these are not typical venues for European visitors, and I wanted you at least to know about them.
I love these suggestions. I live in Nashville and if you like music I would say a visit to the Mississippi Delta/Memphis/Nashville/Smoky Mountains/Appalachia is a must! The South along with the West is a very particular subculture in America and absolutely fascinating to experience. America is just made for road trips– hope you guys consider that because it's a fabulous way to see America.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2019, 07:03 PM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Visiting U.S.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
Lol, yes I get that. I think I'm a bit vague as this is only just being thought about. Basically, Hubby looks like he's going to be made redundant, so we're likely to take the opportunity for a big holiday, and the US would be an ideal place. Looking probably 3 - 4 weeks, and to be realistic, this is unlikely to be much before August at the earliest, allowing for the whole redundancy procedure, notice being worked etc. May even be later than that, as I say it's a bit uncertain yet.
We were thinking to fly over, do car rental to see an area, then fly on to another state, and so on.

If you are in California and like nature be sure to visit Yosemite. If you like museums you should see the Getty in Los Angeles and Nortin Simon in Pasadena.
In the middle of the country the Cowboy Hall of Fame in Oklahoma City is wonderful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2019, 05:14 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

A few ideas:
  • Any of the state parks in southern Utah are spectacular - visit their websites for previews to see which you might like best.
  • Austin, Texas is always fun, but if you go during South x Southwest it's even more fun. Check out Lake Travis while you're there.
  • Coos Bay/Sunset Beach in Oregon is beautiful and I had never seen sand dunes in the mountains before I visited there.
  • Another vote for San Francisco and Muir Woods. Besides the Embarcadero/Fisherman's Wharf, check out the Citadel.
  • Some of my favorite mountains are in southern California. I'm especially fond of taking the Palm Springs tram up Mt San Jacinto. It's a 6,000 foot, 12 1/2 minute climb and the cab rotates. Kind of amazing...
  • I'd strongly suggest a drive up the Pacific Coast Highway. Since it would take a while to do the whole thing, I'd propose starting around Santa Barbara and going up through San Francisco to the redwoods. Some gorgeous places along the way (Pismo Beach, Half Moon Bay, Carmel-by-the-Sea, Monterey) and spectacular scenery on both sides of the road.
  • That being said, most of my favorite beaches are in southern California. Laguna is where I spent a lot of my youth...
I'm sure there's lots more to add, but I have to go to work now...

Reply With Quote Likes