Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-05-2006, 05:24 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Stampin Up on Ebay

I'm just curious what happened to Stampin Up products on Ebay. It seems they've gone to pot! Stamp sets used to sell for big bucks and now they're practically giving them away. I know SU! stopped the fraud demos from posting stuff, but now it seems that no one's buying SU stamps on Ebay anymore. What's up with this?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-05-2006, 05:42 PM   #2  
danne4

I was sort of thinking that same thing myself a couple of weeks ago. Roughing It used to be sky high, but is now a reasonable price. The sets that are sky high now are the hostess sets.

Old 10-05-2006, 06:08 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I have some retired sets that I was thinking of putting up. I keep checking them and they are selling for $2-5. I'd rather keep them.

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss." - Jonathan Larson
Old 10-05-2006, 06:09 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I wish that was the case for CTMH stuff. People sometimes pay more for the stamps than what they could buy them for from a consultant. Now does that make since??
Old 10-05-2006, 06:11 PM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

As a buyer- I'm thrilled by this news!

Ebay goes in cycles for everything- the prices will go back up.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:31 PM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

Also as a buyer i am thrilled to hear that! I am not willing to pay an arm and leg for some stuff. If you know what I mean.

However, Ebay will come around!

Proud Navy Wife to Chad 1~4~02
Mommy to Keegan Michael 2~9~05

Participating in my FIRST VSN Nov. 10!!!! Yeppie!!!
Old 10-05-2006, 06:41 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

I thought the prices dropped right out after the new SU catty came out but they still haven't come back up.

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you’ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Old 10-05-2006, 07:10 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampstar
I'm just curious what happened to Stampin Up products on Ebay. It seems they've gone to pot! Stamp sets used to sell for big bucks and now they're practically giving them away. I know SU! stopped the fraud demos from posting stuff, but now it seems that no one's buying SU stamps on Ebay anymore. What's up with this?
What do you mean by "fraud demos"?? LM

Psa. 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:23 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

I too have noticed the continued decline of SU resale values. It appears to not be just a new catalog downward spike, but a continued downward spiral. It is definitely a buyers' market. I too am trying to figure out the reasons for the continued decline and all I can come up with are there are a lot of stampers that come here to the b/s/t forum which cuts down on the ebay sales. Postage rates are somewhat high -- roughly $5 per set for mailing and most sellers want to include delivery confirmation to show proof of receipt. The mini catalogs because of their larger size have increased purchases that demos must purge at year end because they are no longer current or demonstratable.
Does anyone else have a perspective on this?

Glenda
Old 10-05-2006, 07:29 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by leanerme
I think she means the demos who buy and sell current sets on ebay even though the SU! demo contract explicitly "outlaws" such things. I'm not a demo, but that would be my guess.

As for ebay... I think the reason the prices are low is because the market (the ebay market that is) is flooded with sets that no one wants. I check the SU! auctions out there quite often, and it's rare to find something "good", while sets like "Quick and Cute" or "Wonderful Woodcuts" for example seem to be there by the thousands. It's all supply and demand. The more of the same set there is listed, the lower the price will go. The lower the availability of the set, the higher the price will go. I'm still waiting for Backyard BBQ to come down to a reasonable rate. I thought for sure it would be cheap after summer, but no such luck!
Old 10-05-2006, 07:30 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenda s
I too have noticed the continued decline of SU resale values. It appears to not be just a new catalog downward spike, but a continued downward spiral. It is definitely a buyers' market. I too am trying to figure out the reasons for the continued decline and all I can come up with are there are a lot of stampers that come here to the b/s/t forum which cuts down on the ebay sales. Postage rates are somewhat high -- roughly $5 per set for mailing and most sellers want to include delivery confirmation to show proof of receipt. The mini catalogs because of their larger size have increased purchases that demos must purge at year end because they are no longer current or demonstratable.
Does anyone else have a perspective on this?

Glenda
I do think postage rates have a lot to do with it too. And if you'll notice, some of those sellers are wayyy overcharging for shipping. I've seen people charge $11 to ship one set. Hello. That will drive the price down as well.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:35 PM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

I agree with others here that shipping has a lot to do with it. I personally find $5 to ship a set like Nature's Wonder to be pretty danged high.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:53 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahloumel
I agree with others here that shipping has a lot to do with it. I personally find $5 to ship a set like Nature's Wonder to be pretty danged high.
Priority Mail here in the states costs $4.05, and that's if you use the "free" packaging provided by the post office specifically for that purpose. Looks to me like most eBay sellers who ship through the USPS use this method, which takes 2-3 business days to arrive at the destination. A padded mailer (my personal preference in order to keep the plastic stamp case from getting banged up) costs at least $1, so five dollars for shipping really isn't all that unreasonable.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Old 10-05-2006, 09:09 PM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

I agree that it depends on what the set is. I was looking into a Chicken Wire background stamp and one of the auctions I saw end was up to $71 plus the S&H.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:12 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOLLYBERRY7795
I agree that it depends on what the set is. I was looking into a Chicken Wire background stamp and one of the auctions I saw end was up to $71 plus the S&H.
Ooooo -- tempting to list mine that has been sitting on my shelf for months....
Old 10-05-2006, 09:13 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4d
Priority Mail here in the states costs $4.05, and that's if you use the "free" packaging provided by the post office specifically for that purpose. Looks to me like most eBay sellers who ship through the USPS use this method, which takes 2-3 business days to arrive at the destination. A padded mailer (my personal preference in order to keep the plastic stamp case from getting banged up) costs at least $1, so five dollars for shipping really isn't all that unreasonable.
Yeah, makes SU's 10% shipping charge sound pretty reasonable, doesn't it?
Old 10-05-2006, 10:33 PM   #17  
Watercolor Wizard

Here's a thought. Maybe a lot the demos that were selling on eBay had other user names and were bidding on their own auctions to drive up the price, making them seem more desirable. Feeding the "I've got to win this auction" mentality. Now that SU has been cracking down on demos selling current stuff on eBay, SU stuff isn't moving like it used to. Maybe these current eBay prices reflect what it truly should be.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:36 PM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by MUSIKEL
Yeah, makes SU's 10% shipping charge sound pretty reasonable, doesn't it?
Since I've gone to the unmounted side of the stamping world, it's ruined my expectations on how much shipping 'ought' to cost. If it's more than three bucks US, I'm getting ripped off!
Old 10-06-2006, 04:19 AM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

As someone else said - things go in cycles - and you will see a spike in a set if you have say 3 -4 people who all want a particular set at the same time...some people aren't willing to wait...

About a year and a half ago I really really wanted Crayon Christmas and on E-bay it was going for a mint - a friend of mine was leaving as a demo and getting rid of some of her stamp sets - so I looked up what the average selling price on E-bay was and offered her that....

I do think that places like SCS and I know there are a few other forum boards that deal with SU and other companies - a bulk of what might have been on E-bay in the past are sold or traded off E-bay...

The true value of anything is what another person is willing to pay for it...

I agree high postage will readily turn me off in a heartbeat - I refuse to pay more than priority mail rates for any stamp set - yeah I know there are paypal fees and E-bay fees - but that's the chances you take....

I have followed a friends advice in the past and listed stuff on E-bay for a BIN with free shipping...I researched what the average final selling price is for the particular item and add a few $$...Savvy E-bayers will buy at the BIN price - I had some CM stuff I was trying to get rid of....out of the 5 auctions I had 4 went via BIN (savvy e-bayers) and 1 ended up going for MORE than my BIN price because someone placed a bid on it...
Old 10-06-2006, 04:22 AM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by danne4
I was sort of thinking that same thing myself a couple of weeks ago. Roughing It used to be sky high, but is now a reasonable price. The sets that are sky high now are the hostess sets.
Roughing it probably tanked because SU came out with a new camping set - so people probably are more apt to buy the new set than the older retired set...
and now there are so many other stamp companies that "fill the void" - the retired SU pasiley stamp is a perfect example...it was going for a mint and then Cornish came out with one very similar to the retired one for $10 (or something like that) - I know if I like a stamp and I can get something very similar for far less I will buy the lesser priced one...
Old 10-06-2006, 05:01 AM   #21  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by leanerme

Yes, as stated above, demos who sell current stock on Ebay is strictly prohibited. There have been others who may not be demos but are working with a demo that have been shut down. There are also copyright issue on some Ebay stores (posting pages from the mini or images from the SU! demo site).

Also, demos get really upset when we see customers pay outrageous prices for current or FREE products. We don't like to see people get screwed on Ebay.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:12 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

I just finished an auction of my retired sets last month, and by the time I paid all of the fees etc., I might as well have kept them. Plus shipping from Canada is more expensive than can be offered through the states, so that is probably why my sales tanked.

Used to be that when I wanted a set, I would buy it, thinking that even though I only used it a few times, I could still get most of my money out of it. Not anymore. Now I am going to be more careful with my purchases, and make sure I get my money out of it.

I think one of the reasons this has happened is because of people (whether demo or not) were selling current items, flooding the ebay market with them. Plus if you check all of the different companies, quite a few of them have similar sets so unless you are a die hard SU stamper, you can get the same images (or close to it) from another source.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:28 AM   #23  
Embossing Fanatic

Lower prices but higher shipping means the seller makes more profit in the end. The shipping is a guaranteed profit if you make it high because you don't pay pay pal or ebay fees on shipping. My friend sells lots of stamps on ebay. She NEVER sends them priority, but always charges at least $6 to ship. She does not pack in bubble envelopes, just envelopes reinforced with packing tape. If you sell a set for $5 plus $5 shipping and do priority and bubble envelope, after fees you make what? $4?? If you charge $5 shipping but ship for $1.75, you have added $3.25 to your profit.

I am thrilled to see the sets become reasonably priced. I will never pay more than 80% of retail on a new current set, and never more than %50 on a used retired set UNLESS it is rare. I think as more people set boundaries like this, the prices will stay low. Additionally, after I win, I contact the buyer and ask if they will take the stamps off the wood since I only use UM and cut the shipping in half. Have never had one refuse me. I have purchased about 40 sets this way since spring, following those guidelines. I have really gotten some amazing deals by being willing to wait. When a set is popular I don't go near it until a bunch of those people have obtained it and are no longer bidding. Then when the cycle is down I try to bid on one ending during the night. As people get smarter to how it all works, the prices will come down. I have also learned that Sellabration sets WILL be very cheap about 8 months after it is over. At first they go for lots when they are popular and new and then the market is flooded and people want to sell them to buy from the new catalog. I have gotten Sellabration sets for $1-2 on almost all the ones I wanted.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:05 AM   #24  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbleQueen50
...because you don't pay pay pal or ebay fees on shipping. ..
Clarifying -- You don't pay ebay fees on shipping, but you do pay paypal fees on all money you collect, which would include shipping...
Old 10-06-2006, 08:33 AM   #25  
SCS Moderator

I also think that SU has come out with more specialty stamps. The sets that appeal to a niche market are the ones that will hold their value better. Ones specifically for children's sports/activities, or jobs or hobbies, are initially bought by less people and are more scarce.

"General" sets will not hold value as well because they are easier to find a replacement for. So for example last year they retired "Framed Greetings" but there are still LOTS of other sets that have similar styles of stamps/greetings, so Framed Greetings will not go for a lot. But if you look up Backyard BBQ for example, it generally sells for over $30, and Wolf is over its original value as well.

Old 10-06-2006, 08:47 AM   #26  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbleQueen50
Lower prices but higher shipping means the seller makes more profit in the end. The shipping is a guaranteed profit if you make it high because you don't pay pay pal or ebay fees on shipping. My friend sells lots of stamps on ebay. She NEVER sends them priority, but always charges at least $6 to ship. She does not pack in bubble envelopes, just envelopes reinforced with packing tape. If you sell a set for $5 plus $5 shipping and do priority and bubble envelope, after fees you make what? $4?? If you charge $5 shipping but ship for $1.75, you have added $3.25 to your profit.
Hmmmm. Interesting food for thought . . .

Quote:

As people get smarter to how it all works, the prices will come down.
I just find the whole bidding thing "stressful", for lack of a better word . . . Personally speaking, I cannot stand shopping that way (via auctions) for anything. Just wigs me out, for some reason . . .

Two things always stupefy me:
  1. How ignorant some folks seem to be on the actual true value of something they are bidding on (because they didn't bother to do any research, I guess?)
  2. How much they are willing to bid because of #1.
I truly, honestly, don't get it!

Old 10-06-2006, 08:49 AM   #27  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by camsmom
. . . and Wolf is over its original value as well.

Hey, I still have Wolf! Until my DD graduates or we move, no can part with it, tho. It's the CHS mascot!
Old 10-06-2006, 11:14 AM   #28  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I agree that it depends on the stamp set. There are some stamp sets that everyone and their mother owns, so there are going to be hundreds of them on eBay at any one time, and the price will be pitiful. But a nice rare retired set can bring a hefty sum. I just sold Born to Ride for twenty dollars more than I paid for it... Tickled Pink went for very well, too.
I think another reason the glut lasts all summer and fall due to so many demos dumping their sets at the same time. But it should start picking up fairly soon. If you try a lot of six or eight sets at once, it might go better.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:16 AM   #29  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
Hey, I still have Wolf! Until my DD graduates or we move, no can part with it, tho. It's the CHS mascot!

If only SU had a great Warrior stamp - that's DD mascot!

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you’ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Old 10-06-2006, 11:58 AM   #30  
Inking Addict

Talking sticker shock

Quote:

Hmmmm. Interesting food for thought . . .

I just find the whole bidding thing "stressful", for lack of a better word . . . Personally speaking, I cannot stand shopping that way (via auctions) for anything. Just wigs me out, for some reason . . .

Two things always stupefy me:
  1. How ignorant some folks seem to be on the actual true value of something they are bidding on (because they didn't bother to do any research, I guess?)
  2. How much they are willing to bid because of #1.
I truly, honestly, don't get it!

Tell me about it....I just posted a tag punch on ebay because I decided that I didn't want it after all. I about crapped my pants when it ended last night at $33. I had to look and see where the buyer was from....this person is from the US. Now WHY on earth would someone pay $33 for a $13.95 punch???? Oh well, their loss is my gain....hehehe....more money to spend on my stamping habbit....
Old 10-06-2006, 12:10 PM   #31  
Gallery Gazer

I hope they are not expecting to receive a punch kit!
Old 10-06-2006, 01:01 PM   #32  
Knit, Purl, Stamp

The only set I've been watching on Ebay has been Angler - it's still pretty high. I *knew* I should have bought it before it retired

My Gallery
My Blog - My adventures in knitting
Old 10-06-2006, 01:04 PM   #33  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Clarkston High School (CHS) are the Wolves too....
When your last one graduates, please keep me in mind

Alexa says I'm her mommy's Pretend Stamping Friend....what an honor!

“What we do for Ourselves, dies with Us. What we do for Others and the World, Remains and is Immortal." ~ Albert Pike
Old 10-06-2006, 01:28 PM   #34  
Stampin' Fool

I personally think the prices for SU stuff on ebay is outrageous. I do alot of ebay buying and I would never buy SU stuff. It's crazy. They're making a mint on sets they pay very little for. Anywhere else in the business world, people wouldn't be able to do that.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:00 PM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

am I wrong, or have I seen some sets being bid on by the stamp and an individual auction for each stamp and not as a set, I don't get that, it cost them more to pay for 4 auctions, then 1 auction item set, I would think, but maybe they are getting less fees for smaller priced ebay items, like one stamp
Old 04-09-2007, 06:19 PM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

If you are looking for background stamps, check out this site. You can buy mounted or unmounted. I know several people that wanted chicken wire bought from this site rather than trying to get it for a decent price on E-bay.

www.cornishheritagefarms.com

HTH,

Laura

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOLLYBERRY7795
SCS Member #772
My Gallery
Old 04-09-2007, 09:09 PM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

I think it is about competition. Clear acrylic stamps are selling like hotcakes on ebay and wood mounted seem to be lagging behind. Since so many are going unmounted, I think you are seeing what the competition is doing to wood mounted. 5 years ago I bought 90% wood mounted. This year I bought 90% unmounted. This is true of the women in both my stamp groups too.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:49 PM   #38  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momofoneson
I personally think the prices for SU stuff on ebay is outrageous. I do alot of ebay buying and I would never buy SU stuff. It's crazy. They're making a mint on sets they pay very little for. Anywhere else in the business world, people wouldn't be able to do that.
I sew and have just started buying the stamp sets I have wanted for years. I have bought from su & ctmh consultants, ebay, here and the ctmh warehouse sale. I paid $34 for Little Trucks - More then I would have thought I would a week ago, but still less then most sets have sold for. I made a shirt for my kido w/ matching material and want to scrap book it.

Certain fabrics will sell for $60 + a yard - watch "munki" on ebay. The yardage was originally sold as overrun for $5/yard. It just depends on how much a person wants it and if they can afford it.

I think it is okay to add $1-$2 into shipping to cover fees. Any more and I think it is theft. When I get a poorly wrapped package sent the cheapest way and charged priority rates I won't go back. When a person charges $8 + to ship I lower my max bid. I have a friend that brags about how much she makes from overcharging on shipping - people just pay because they don't want to deal with it.

As a new stamper - I have been looking through the su, ctmh, and tac books. They do have alot of similar things. I want a goldfish in a bag and can't decide which to get. Happy camper looks alot like a camping one from tac, but $10 more. I don't like cutting my stamps and mounting them myself, but I hate stained acrylics. Storage is a biggy. So many choices in the market place and alot of themes I can buy from Viva las vegas - love the mr potatoe head set
Old 04-09-2007, 10:04 PM   #39  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTMHgirl
I wish that was the case for CTMH stuff. People sometimes pay more for the stamps than what they could buy them for from a consultant. Now does that make since??
I asked my consultant about this and she said it has alot to do with out of the country bidders. I also think it is a hassle to find a consultant and then giving them my cc info without knowing anything about them. I also suffer from anxiety and some weeks I don't want to talk to anyone new.

One last thing, I bought a punch and stamp set from SU and the punch was cut with a box opener and the rubber on the stamp set has a crack in it. I could return it, but I am keeping them and hoping my next order is better. Makes me lean towards the other companies.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:27 PM   #40  
Gallery Gazer

Smileybabies-
If your items are defective you NEED to return them! Talk to your Demo!!
SU! GLADLY replaces damaged items, as long as it is within the 90 day purchase timeframe, and if you havent mounted your stamps.
In 9 yrs as a demo, I have had maybe 4-5 problems with SU merchandise, and easily returned them all for exchange.

SA Sistah -Original Swappers Anonymous!