Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-25-2006, 06:51 PM   #41  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by vrboyle
Now that's what I call consideration.

I forgot to mention that I sell these used card tags at the Christmas Bazaar too - like 10 for 1.00 - people snatch them up like candy!
Oh good idea!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 06:53 PM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by fool4scrapping
Oh good idea!

Congrats on the gabfest goddess! Now there's something to strive for!

"Consider how hard it is to change yourself; and you will understand what little chance you have trying to change others."

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 06:54 PM   #43  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by vrboyle
Congrats on the gabfest goddess! Now there's something to strive for!
thanks! Fittin' isn't it?;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 06:59 PM   #44  
Stazon Splitcoast

Dont' get me started.

I am a total baby wipe girl by the way - I have SS - but save it for shows/classes etc...

I know I have more - so I will have to run by the stampin room and see what else I can come up with - when you come back from vacation to the 4 year olds bday, stampin is far from the mind...

"Consider how hard it is to change yourself; and you will understand what little chance you have trying to change others."

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 07:12 PM   #45  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinMelis
Hey -- did some searching and found this thread. Some really helpful stuff!

Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Thank you Melissa! Great thread!!

I haven't seen the OP of that thread around lately...she had some really *thrifty* ideas ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 08:25 PM   #46  
Mad Swapper

I buy my double-sided tape, pop dots, and embellishment containers from the dollar store. I also buy envelopes, when I can find them, at the dollar store.
If you go to the hardware store you can get little samples of counter-top that make cool tags when you stamp on them. Best of all they're free. Just don't take too many at a time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 06:24 AM   #47  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksullivan
I thought this was an inexpensive hobby!

K

Yeah, right. We are all saving tons of money by not going to card shops. I've probably saved $1000 so far by making my own cards. ;) I still have my old stash of cards from Current, because I never send them any more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 07:10 AM   #48  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by etsdas
Someone mentioned using the pop tabs from soda cans. I use Sharpies to color them - what else will work? I need more colors...!
You can use Embossing powder with Versmark
My sister try this and it came out nice.....
Since she is a new stamper and not having a ton of money.
This opition worked for her.

She also has for this tech. a little holder that keeps her fingers from buring.
I also have a ton of Pop can tabs. That I need to use.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 08:50 AM   #49  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bring my lunch to work so I can spend more money on stamps!

Actually, I'm a bargain girl. I rarely buy things that are not on sale. I also look at Big Lots to see if they have any stuff, and they often do. Most of their stamping/scrapping stuff is $1 or $2.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 10:03 AM   #50  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksullivan
I thought this was an inexpensive hobby!

K
Yeah, right!! We gotta have stuff to play! :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 10:15 AM   #51  
Crimping Master

I use wallpaper for some backgrounds. I get outdated books from businesses that sell wallpaper. Did an awesome male birthday card with some neat blue wallpaper background. Turned out really neat.

Carol Duvall said is safe for using in scrapbooking too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 10:52 AM   #52  
Kookie Creator

What great ideas - I love the drywall tape idea. Guess I'll have to raid DH's work area. I also liked the idea of using cheap washcloths for scrubbing the stamps. Sounds like a trip to WalMart is in order. Thanks, everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 10:55 AM   #53  
Insane Embellisher

I buy Envelopes at the Resale Store. they usually have a bag full of Hallmark Envelopes for $1. there are probably 60+ per bag. sometimes I get lucky and they have a bag with cards in there too, I can cut up the cards and use them for backgrounds or use the sentiment in my cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 12:48 PM   #54  
Hardware Hotshot

What a great thread! Thanks Melissa! I know not everyone on this board is a demo, but the packing paper that comes in our orders is great!! I have found many great uses for this. I usually have so much I have to give some of it away.

My family Blog
Fantasy Stamps - My stamping blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 01:43 PM   #55  
Hardware Hotshot

I have store bought stamp cleaner, but Awesome from the dollar store even takes Stazon off!

1/3 cup Awesome, 2/3 cups Water. Put in a stritz bottle and your loaded. A cup goes a long way!

I have a ton of old washcloths. I wet one with some stamp cleaner, wipe off the stamp and then wipe across a baby wipe for conditioning.

Use Delta Creamcoat interior/exterior varnish to seal your wood blocks with. Cheap, easy, water clean up and no fumes. You can even do the ones already on the wood. Just paint around the rubber.

Before I throw scraps of paper away, I look to see if I can punch out a tag, flower, word window slit? Anything! I keep them in an extra SU box and use as needed. They are great if you have young ones that want to play too!

Brads and Eyeletts to match? Color with your re-inkers, markers or pad. Dip in clear embossing powder and heat set! They are great and easy to make!

In place of pricey stamp scrubs we all buy, try the wall painting pads from Wal-Mart of Home Depot! They are the same, just a lots less money!

Scrap cushion from trimming stamps, makes great dimentionals for raising layers on your cards!

Just a few and I think I got them from SCS and StampTalk!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2006, 02:54 PM   #56  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinMelis
Hey -- did some searching and found this thread. Some really helpful stuff!

Wow! Thanks for sharing...lots of great ideas on that thread.

One more I can add:
I use every little piece of scrap that I have. If it's too small to layer with - I take my punches to them and store them in the little plastic baby food containers taping one of the punched out c/s on the side of it.

This is a great thread. Thanks for starting it! :-)

Alexa says I'm her mommy's Pretend Stamping Friend....what an honor!

�What we do for Ourselves, dies with Us. What we do for Others and the World, Remains and is Immortal." ~ Albert Pike
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2006, 06:58 PM   #57  
Hardware Hotshot

I use the Spring Flower punch with mulberry scraps to make my own prima flowers. they are just as cute and easy on the wallet!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2006, 08:02 PM   #58  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've got an mutual arrangement with a good stamping friend of mine. We check with each other before we order and since we both tend to like the same things we try to order different sets and then we borrow from each other. Also, we buy different color packs of paper and split each of ours in half (each getting 12 1/2 sheets of a 25 sheet pack) and that way we have more variety of colors. We also buy different colors of reinkers and when an ink pad gets dry we either have the color on hand or borrow. We also divide out packs of multiple items such as brads and also split out ribbon. A lot of times they have more in a package than we would use and we prefer the variety of different colors.

I use an old desk calendar (the large blotter type) for a scrap pad to protect the desk and also try out designs or stamp off.

I bought a package of $1 note cards at Michaels. It had the envelopes and the card front was a simple striped design, so I could us it as a background and simply embellish with stamped images, ribbons, etc. The inside was blank so I could stamp whatever sentiment I wanted.

I saved scraps of solar window screen when we put up new window screen. It is a vinyl type material and worked great, very similar to magic mesh. I attached at the corners with brads.

I buy silver brads and color them with embossing powder which I also split containers with my friend to get multiple colors. Hold the brad by the tails and heat with heat gun, then dip in EP and it will stick due to the heat of the metal brad head, heat with heat gun to melt and redip (while still hot) if more coating is necessary.

You can make 1/4" (approximately) sized dots by using the eraser on a new pencil as a stamp.

Right now is a good time to buy the following. The plastic school boxes that sell at Walmart for under a dollar will hold lots of different supplies, plus they're great to grab and go. I haven't checked them out as far as holding spots, but you might be able to fit 2 sets in a box one pad stacked on top of the other. I've used them to store Non-SU alphabet sets. When I was a consultant for CTMH (many years ago) I used them to hold the precut CS and materials for projects at home shows. Great if you are making a lot of cards and want to take with you to work on while you wait at the Dr's office or elsewhere.

Bought a clip with a long handle in the jewelry department of Walmart. It's used to put on bracelets. You clip to one end of the bracelet (loop end) and hold with hand that bracelet is on, then open clasp and hook on with other hand. Price approximately $1.99, then bought mini white pom-poms to use as daubers. Don't remember price on those, but very inexpensive. Keeps ink off fingers when sponging edges of CS. Keep the pom-pom in a teeny tiny ziplock bag from Hobby Lobby ($1.99 probably 50 in a package) and label bag with color of ink so you can reuse. Also use these bags to divide out embossing powder and brads/eyelets with friend.

Pulled petals off silk hydrangea flower stems to use as Prima flowers. Attach with eyelet or brad through hole in the center of flower. Check out flower selection at Hobby Lobby when they have silk flowers on sale for 50% off. Usually the cheaper ones that run about $1.99 a stem have the better flowers for this technique. Haven't tried this, but if you buy white I bet dye based reinker will color them, then allow to dry overnight or speed it up with blowdrier, leave them on stem while reinking and blowdrying to make it easier and less messy to handle.

Swipe supplies from hubby's household repair stash. So far, I've taken the window screen scraps and the roll of some metal tape he used to tape on the dryer vent, some blue painter's tape (I use it to mask off straight lines - it removes without ruining the CS) and masking tape (for faux leather technique). Don't you know he would be surprised to see a new can of shaving cream, future floor polish, packing tape and rubbing alcohol in my stamp room.

I'll end this with what has got to be the winner of the weirdest of all. I might have posted it in the linked thread. I asked to keep the tiny scissors that come in a wound kit at the ER when MIL was there for an emergency. They opened the prepackaged kit and I when I could see they were going to throw them away I asked if I could have them. They gladly gave them to me. Nice size for cutting those small areas. They are very, very sharp and pointed. Hopefully, no one has occassion to ask for them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 04:56 AM   #59  
Rubber Obsessor

MY frugal tip?? I no longer buy background stamps - I make my own!!
I create the backgrounds on my computer and print them directly on to cardstock.

If you like, you can download some of my backgrounds from my website
http://www.ink-stains.com

Cheers!
Sherry
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 06:51 AM   #60  
Lil' RAD Taquito

Hi I read this thread and I thought of another thread I read recently that has great tips in general

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 06:58 AM   #61  
Lil' RAD Taquito

I use double sided mounting tape (foamy) it is way cheaper than dots and you can adjust the size better. Michaels $1 ribbon it is not bad. Always use coupons on stores.
Put photo mounting corners inside the card and write your message in a piece of white paper and put it in there that way you art can be reused and not just go to the garbage. This looks better that post it notes and you have more space to write too
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2006, 01:20 AM   #62  
Crimping Master

I just added this hint to another post of fun tips. However, this one falls definitely in the money saving tip category.

Buy thumb tacks in primary colors, gold and silver. Clip off the tack end with wire cutters and you have some new brad-like embellishments
C

http://sailingwithscissors.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2006, 02:59 AM   #63  
*I stamp, therefore I am......*

Default do you promise not to laugh????

:cool: I just got some chipboard letters and i dicovered that you can peel them in two, in other wordsyou can get 2 for 1! I used the peeled part, it is brown cardboard color and embossed it gold! :cool:
today is a gift, enjoy every minute....

Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more. ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2006, 04:33 AM   #64  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SherryG
MY frugal tip?? I no longer buy background stamps - I make my own!!
I create the backgrounds on my computer and print them directly on to cardstock.

If you like, you can download some of my backgrounds from my website
http://www.ink-stains.com

Cheers!
Sherry
Sherry, thanks for the link. I am sure I will be taking advantage of your generous offer.

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2006, 04:47 AM   #65  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinOma
Pulled petals off silk hydrangea flower stems to use as Prima flowers. Attach with eyelet or brad through hole in the center of flower. Check out flower selection at Hobby Lobby when they have silk flowers on sale for 50% off. Usually the cheaper ones that run about $1.99 a stem have the better flowers for this technique. Haven't tried this, but if you buy white I bet dye based reinker will color them, then allow to dry overnight or speed it up with blowdrier, leave them on stem while reinking and blowdrying to make it easier and less messy to handle.
I do this all the time. Chalk works great and I've never had to seal it. Here's a scrapbook page that the flowers were pink on the edges. I covered with orange chalk so it would match the page. I used the leaves as well.
Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

Even more frugal, I didn't buy the silk flowers. DH bought them in a bouquet on the day DD was born. We saved them until DD (three yrs) got into it and tore it all apart. That's when I discovered the baby's breath once open looks just like primas (flowers on pg2) and the roses looked good too (large flowers pg 1). I was then no longer upset about the ruined bouquet and hauled the pieces into my stamp area.

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss." - Jonathan Larson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2006, 04:48 AM   #66  
Die Cut Diva

OOps the flowers on the second page are fun foam. Here's a link showing the baby's breath flowers.
I sure miss that edit button.

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss." - Jonathan Larson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2006, 05:12 AM   #67  
*I stamp, therefore I am......*

Default My 2 for one N's!!!

pretty nifty, huh??
today is a gift, enjoy every minute....

Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more. ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2006, 05:37 AM   #68  
Gallery Gazer

Just bumpin this up for other ideas!
Matthew 6:34 �So don�t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today�s trouble is enough for today."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2006, 06:11 AM   #69  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

You can purchase sheets of chip board at your local scrapbook store. You can die cut them into any shape or letter you want. Cut patterned paper also, and glue on top.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2006, 08:28 AM   #70  
Mad Swapper

I use white and ivory card stock from Walmart. It's only about $6.00 for a whole ream! The weight is good, although not quite as heavy as SU cs.

A friend gave me an old wedding invitation/stationary sample book that was full of great images, vellum (including patterned vellum) and I tore out all the ones I wanted to use on cards. Most of them were just the right size for cards and they added a lot to the cards I made with them.

When I was cleaning out my desk I had several boxes of old Xmas cards (from before I stamped my own) and use the extra envelopes for my handmade cards.

I have so many cards that I have acquired through swaps and cards that I made years ago that I no longer like, so I will take the brads and ribbon off them and reuse them. I also reuse the back of the card for adding layers to new cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2006, 09:18 AM   #71  
Gallery Gazer

Glitter glue for kids works just as well as Stickles. I use a lot of kid craft stuff. I love all the ideas! Keep them coming. My DH thanks you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2006, 12:35 PM   #72  
Gallery Gazer

Smile Love a deal

Quote:

Originally Posted by twyant
Glitter glue for kids works just as well as Stickles. I use a lot of kid craft stuff. I love all the ideas! Keep them coming. My DH thanks you!

I buy this every in "stickle look alike bottles" every so often in the dollar stores......works fine
Matthew 6:34 �So don�t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today�s trouble is enough for today."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2006, 01:24 PM   #73  
Gabfest Goddess

As mentioned above, SherryG has an awesome website "ink-stains.com". Just register on the community page and you can download all kinds of great backgrounds in various colors. I keep checking that site because she keeps adding more all the time.
Just Us Girls Challenge DT
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2006, 01:34 PM   #74  
Hardware Hotshot

I just bought some mat board from HL and used a diecut machine at LSS to make my own chipboard letters. It worked!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2006, 01:57 PM   #75  
Stampin' Fool

What excellent ideas! DH and I were just talking about how this is NOT saving me money, I have spent so much money on stamping stuff. But I love it so it is a hobby along with my other hobbies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2006, 02:18 PM   #76  
Mad Swapper

I have saved some mesh bags from when I bought oranges, onions etc.... My thought was to lay the mesh over the cardstock, ink up my brayer and roll. I thought this would make a great background. A lot cheaper than a background stamp.

I have also saved the cellophane that I received some flowers in. My thought was that I could stamp on it or use it for a window in a card.

I buy a lot of embellishments at the dollar store or other stores like Walmartetc... Always check the sale bins. Never shop without coupons. I even save brown paper bags gor future use.

I use dried baby wipes for dabbing ink, distressing etc.. They are nice an soft and can usually be used many times.

Now my kids are older (youngest 15) I have collected and use all their crayons, pencil crayons and other craft stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2006, 05:31 PM   #77  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Here's some idea's

AOL tin's save them. Paint them and make Mini Scrapbook out of them.

Bubble wrap... For Background stamping. They make a great looking BG without having to spend to much.

Film Cansiter's, are super for holding water for painting, Brads,
Eyelets, Photo turn's.

Cereal Boxes: Cut them up and use them for Chip board on your cards.
You can cut all sort's of shapes with regular scissor's.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2006, 06:04 PM   #78  
Gallery Gazer

I get my 3m foam tape at Home Depot. A fairly large roll for $9.99. A better value than purchasing the smaller roll for $2.89 or more.

I've also purchased a huge roll of 1/8" thick foam for only $9.99. I've had it for a number of years and haven't come to the end yet.
http://www.stampinktons.com/Foam_Tape/foam_tape.html
(not affiliated with them, just a happy customer)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2006, 06:07 PM   #79  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by NANCYRUTH

pretty nifty, huh??

Nancy - did they pull apart real easy to make 2? Or did you have to saw them? I am sorry if this is a stupid question.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2006, 06:12 PM   #80  
Stampin' Fool

I buy the cheap candles at AC and when the candle is gone I use the glass for storage.

I never did give anybody hell. I just told the truth and they thought it was hell.

Harry S. Truman
Reply With Quote Likes