Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Stampin' on a cast (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/stampin-cast-227780/)

bb&kk 02-25-2007 04:29 PM

Stampin' on a cast

I broke my ankle 2 weeks ago and hopefully will be getting a fiberglass cast on Wednesday. Has anyone stamped on a cast ? Someone told me it would be too porous. Any ideas or suggestions? Also should I get white or a color? I'm 51 and have never had a cast before!!!

Barbara

momis mama 02-25-2007 04:47 PM

sorry to hear of your misfortune!

i would for sure try to stamp on it.

and the color question- guess it would depend on what colors you got to choose from. you could always go with white and use your markers as well as stamps to embellish.

you could let your stamping friends decorate a little part each.

you could have so much fun!

happy stamping!

momis mama 02-25-2007 04:48 PM

duh me! fingers go too fast!

and a speedy recovery!

dolphinprncss03 02-25-2007 04:57 PM

wow you poor thing..my DD has a walking boot air cast on both feet she can take hers off to shower but...as the thread i have going right now sheis 15 and in a wheel chair ..I want to stamp hers they are plastic and it would work good i would have to use stazon..You can try that also..
Dawn

bb&kk 02-25-2007 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dolphinprncss03
wow you poor thing..my DD has a walking boot air cast on both feet she can take hers off to shower but...as the thread i have going right now sheis 15 and in a wheel chair ..I want to stamp hers they are plastic and it would work good i would have to use stazon..You can try that also..
Dawn

She can shower??????? I am soooooo jealous! If you stamp hers post a picture. And please tell her I wish her a speedy recovery.

Barbara

jtax 02-25-2007 05:42 PM

Oh Barbara, I feel for you! I broke my foot this time of the year 19 years ago (I was pregnant and couldn't be put into a cast). I wish you a speedy recovery - be careful out in the snowy/icy weather! No advice on stamping on a cast, but please post a picture if you can! All the best...

Iheartstamping 02-25-2007 06:59 PM

My daughter had a fiberglass cast and it was very difficult to sign because it's a mesh-like material. If you want a really good stamping surface, I would go for a plaster cast.

So, you should tell your doctor, "I need you to use the best possible casting material for stamping. It should be smooth and take ink well."

Iheartstamping 02-25-2007 07:02 PM

If you want to be able to get your cast wet, you need a fiberglass cast with a waterproof lining. Normally the lining isn't waterproof...it's something you would have to ask for.

goannafive 02-25-2007 07:04 PM

Hi there
I too have never tried to stamp on a cast BUT I have stamped on white tissue,coloured as desired and then glued it to a cast with PVA(white glue).The tissue goes clearish so you mainly see the stamped image
Have fun and show us what you come up with....hope you heal up really quick

Annette in Australia

dolphinprncss03 02-25-2007 10:40 PM

yup she can shower..her casts look like ski boots or robot feet as we call it they had these air things in them and she has to use this bulb to blow all these air pockets up..the DR said it better tis way for the kids with the weather

pigfingers 02-26-2007 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goannafive
Hi there
I too have never tried to stamp on a cast BUT I have stamped on white tissue,coloured as desired and then glued it to a cast with PVA(white glue).The tissue goes clearish so you mainly see the stamped image
Have fun and show us what you come up with....hope you heal up really quick

Annette in Australia

OOOH! Decoupaging the cast, what a great idea!!!!

jeanstamping2 02-26-2007 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bb&kk
I broke my ankle 2 weeks ago and hopefully will be getting a fiberglass cast on Wednesday. Has anyone stamped on a cast ? Someone told me it would be too porous. Any ideas or suggestions? Also should I get white or a color? I'm 51 and have never had a cast before!!!

Barbara

I have had a cast or two in my time, But those cast were different than the ones that they have now.
I don't think you can stamp on them. but hey try it and see if it works. then you'll know.

Sorry to hear that your broke your ankle....Ouch!!!

Take care!

MelisLeach 02-26-2007 11:43 AM

Get a colored cast...have fun with it!
Happy healing.

KimberlyinMN 02-26-2007 12:31 PM

You could first put a layer of Modge Podge on the cast to seal it and then have at it with a stamp or two.

When I took a One-Stroke Painting class, we had to "prepare" the mouse pad by putting a layer of Modge Podge on it. That kept the paint from soaking in.

Here's to a speedy recovery!!!

Kimberly

bb&kk 02-26-2007 01:10 PM

The tissue paper idea is fantastic. Now on top of the broken ankle, I have an abscessed tooth and a stomach virus. When it rains it pours. Just feeling good enough to sit and type. And if I have to chose between showering or stamping on the cast I will take the shower!

Barbara

dolphinprncss03 02-26-2007 02:44 PM

OMG you poor thing maybe you and my DD should share ankle stories..feel better hugs
Dawn

Motherof6 02-26-2007 06:08 PM

I stamped on my DS's fiber glass cast a couple of years back. He chose a red cast. I stamped with black Stazon and colored with sharpies (bugs & slugs). This one was not waterproof. The one he had when he was 2 with his broken leg was. It was lined with what looked like bubble wrap. We asked for it this last time and they knew nothing about it.

Hope you heal quickly!

Softangelkisses 02-26-2007 06:33 PM

Isn't it something that even when we are hurting or in pain, we think about stamping??

buggainok 02-26-2007 08:39 PM

Okay, I just have to throw this in:

Every time I see this thread, I'm reading:

Stamping on a CAT. What?????

Sorry about your cat, errr... cast.:)

KarenInKali 02-26-2007 08:40 PM

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...500&ppuser=246

You can totally stamp on fiberglass casts!! The link above is my DD's cast last spring - we used StazOn but any pigment or permanent ink would work!

You obviously don't get a completely solid image, but depending on what you're looking to do, it can definitely be stamped - have fun!

StamperedChef 02-26-2007 08:46 PM

I would not decoupage on a cast. It could interfere with removing it, and possibly cause problems. When I went to convention in 2005 one of the girls in our group had a hot pink cast and she hot glued daisy rick-rack around the top, it was super cute!

About the showering, they sell bags that fit over casts for this purpose. I even went swimming when I had mine on. The bag has a tight rubber seal at the top, I put a towel inside it when I went swimming to make sure no water got in. The only problem I had when I was swimming was that there was so much air in the bag that wouldn't come out that it made my foot float. If you cannot find a bag like this, ask the hospital for foam tape, wrap your leg in a towel and tape a heavy duty trash bag over your cast (secure it to the skin on your leg with the foam tape).

Kheila Kirwan 02-26-2007 09:12 PM

I have a purple cast now. Last week it was a hot pink cast. I had surgery in 4 places on my left foot. I think the green cast that kareninkali stamped was just so cute!! I love all the bright colored fiberglass casts they have now. I might try stamping on this one, would probably be cool. Thanks for the info and glad the question came up.

tachar 04-10-2007 03:10 PM

Gonna give this a try Thanks :)