Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-09-2006, 05:00 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pencils Vs. Crayons

hello ladies,

I've slowly been building up my stamp inventory and now I'm hoping to start adding a little colour to my life. I've tried the watercolour pencils at a demo, but not the crayons, can anyone give me a little insight as to what would be the best to start with?

thanks
Suzanne
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2006, 05:52 PM   #2  
Cardstock Collector

I really like the pencils better than the crayons. I also have limited supplies so I think my purchases through very thoroughly. I think the pencils are easier to use in small places as the crayons are thicker. Again just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2006, 06:33 PM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I only have the pencils and love them but I'm thinking of getting the crayons. I've heard they give a more intense colour. So, I guess it depends on what kind of colour you like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2006, 06:51 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 86 Likes on 38 Posts

I love the crayons, but I've picked up great sets from viking.com and also individual colors at my scrapbook store. The crayons are much better than the watercolor pencils (I never use my watercolor pencils anymore).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2006, 06:58 PM   #5  
Cardstock Collector

Others that I stamp with have said the same thing, but I still find them akward to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2006, 08:12 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

I have not tried the crayons, but I'm not happy with the colors of the pencils. They just don't match. They are good quality pencils, if they matched I'd love them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2006, 08:17 PM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

I agree with Emily. Love the look of the pencils with the blender pen, but the colors really don't match (like AT ALL), and that's a big downfall as far as I'm concerned.

I just got the crayons, and while I don't quite understand the big hoopla about them yet, I'm sure the more I play with them, the more I'll like them. They are nice and smooth.

One thing I'm finding with the crayons: While I can stamp an image in Basic Black and then watercolor with either the pencils or with ink pads and a paintbrush with no problem, I've found that using my crayons with a paintbrush makes the lines smudge and therefore I get black/gray in my image. I would suggest using StazOn if you're going to get the crayons. Looks like I'm going to have to invest!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2006, 08:33 PM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

I LOVE the Watercolor Crayons - I have a big set of watercolor pencils and never use them anymore.

I don't have any trouble coloring in small spots w/ them as I apply the Aqua Painter directly to the crayon, pick up a little color, then use the tip of the AP to color in small areas.

Also the crayons make it MUCH easier to blend and move around colors and give a much saturated overall appearance.

I say go w/ the Watercolor Crayons (and since they're now in color families it's not such a big investment all at once!) HTH!

Oh and I agree that you practically HAVE to use Stazon when you use the WCC's - and good paper like the watercolor paper or confetti or naturals paper - the Whisper White and VV curl and tear b/c of the amount of water.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2006, 08:55 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

Cool

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmyR
I LOVE the Watercolor Crayons - I have a big set of watercolor pencils and never use them anymore.

I don't have any trouble coloring in small spots w/ them as I apply the Aqua Painter directly to the crayon, pick up a little color, then use the tip of the AP to color in small areas.

Also the crayons make it MUCH easier to blend and move around colors and give a much saturated overall appearance.

I say go w/ the Watercolor Crayons (and since they're now in color families it's not such a big investment all at once!) HTH!

Oh and I agree that you practically HAVE to use Stazon when you use the WCC's - and good paper like the watercolor paper or confetti or naturals paper - the Whisper White and VV curl and tear b/c of the amount of water.
Ditto from me....I love the WWC you can really put down some strong colors....the pencils are ok, too...just depends on the look you want....you can probably get a few basic colors from a local art store or online, to try out....or get one of the SU sets......you can also use a watercolor brush and just dab the crayon.....get a couple and experiment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2006, 09:13 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

The crayons are the way to go... yes they maybe harder to colour with in small spaces ... but use a fine brush and pick up the colour from the crayon with the brush. There are also so many other things you can do with the crayons, colour on the stamps with them, better than markers in that regard, use them directly on paper and watercolour with them, use the bottom to make circle stamps for backgrounds..... and last but not least... they are reasonably priced in the US.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2006, 04:03 AM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks ladies, the crazyons it is!

s.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2006, 08:43 AM   #12  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Suz I am not a great watercolorer;) at all-but am getting better and more confident using the crayons. I like how easily they blend together and have actually been able to get some shading on images-something I could not do with the Watercolor pencils. Even my DH likes the WCC, LOL

Reply With Quote Likes