Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-22-2006, 10:32 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Question stamp room lighting advice

Hello! I need some help. I have a wonderful stamp room all to myself and while we are slowly finishing our basement my DH installed the electrical work. We couldn't agree on lights for my stamp room at the time, so he installed the wiring and just some basic sockets for lightbulbs. I currently have a row of 4 lights going down the middle of my long 25' room, each with 200watt bulbs. I am insisting on flourescent but DH says he doesn't want flourescent lights in there. I'm like "hello? this isn't YOUR workroom, so why do you care, besides, I'm sure they'd be much more energy efficient than 800watts for hours at a time!

My MAIN problem is I don't know what I should be looking for. We will probably do the drop ceiling. At our last house we bought and installed the cheapest flourescent lights we could find and they hummed loudly when they were on, you could even hear the hum through the carpeted floor above them. I want good lights, no shadows and NO HUMMING! I know very little about types of flourescent lights, so any advice would be GREAT to help make my stamp classroom work for me.

TIA!

Kelly
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-22-2006, 04:06 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

I don't really know that much about this. I just use the lighting that I have. So I'm going to bump this in hopes that others will give you some good input. Here is a link about some lighting stuff. http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...+room+lighting
Old 08-22-2006, 06:24 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

My husband just finished our basement family room which includes an area just for me! We are HUGE fans of recessed (or can) lighting especially in basements. Recessed lighting takes up no space which is a big deal in a basement since the ceiling is usually lower. It also looks really sharp! Here is a link to a picture in case you don't know what it looks like:

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...4+4233&pos=n12

They are also easy to install in unfinished areas. You can get help designing a layout at your local home improvement store (like how many to put in your area). Also you can buy full spectrum bulbs to go in them. Or a cheap alternative are the GE reveal bulbs which give a nice white light.

Good luck with finishing the basement! It is a lot of work but fun to enjoy the room thinking "we did this"

-Alta
Old 08-22-2006, 07:37 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I like my Ott light and we use flourescents in my stamp room. It gives great, bright light.

Sue's gallery
www.stampinwithsue.stampinup.net
Old 08-22-2006, 07:51 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

I wouldn't go with fluorescent lighting. The quality of light is not good when doing things such as crafting. It doesn't show true color when you are trying to pick color combinations and things like that. I would stick with halogen light fixtures. They are more energy efficient than an incandescent light, but more true to natural light for things like color matching. You could probably do potlights that are recessed into the ceiling so they don't hang down into the space.
Good luck.
Carmen
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2006, 08:49 PM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuteypickle
I wouldn't go with fluorescent lighting. The quality of light is not good when doing things such as crafting. It doesn't show true color when you are trying to pick color combinations and things like that. I would stick with halogen light fixtures. They are more energy efficient than an incandescent light, but more true to natural light for things like color matching. You could probably do potlights that are recessed into the ceiling so they don't hang down into the space.
Good luck.
Carmen
Perhaps in the "old days" flourescent lighting did have a major affect the perception of color, however they now have FABULOUS natural light bulbs available (they cost more, but are definitely worth the money). I have a flourescent light in my stamp room with these bulbs and I don't have ANY problem working at night with the light they provide. I also have an OTT light mounted on my desk top, but about the only time I turn it on is when I'm working with a lot of dark paper or very detailed work.

My problem with halogens is that they burn hot, they are super expensive, they use lots of power and the light is almost too bright. And whatever you do, don't accidentally look directly up at them - you will for all intents and purposes go semi-blind for a couple of minutes. I have had this type of lighting in other rooms and it would not be my choice for my stamping space. JMHO!
Old 08-23-2006, 04:41 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

My 2 cents: full spectrum, full spectrum, full spectrum! I'm seeing it available in all sorts of options these days. Don't know if it's available yet for ceiling/recessed fixtures, but especially if you're in the basement and you have the option, full spectrum, full spectrum, full spectrum!
Old 08-23-2006, 05:02 AM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boss
Perhaps in the "old days" flourescent lighting did have a major affect the perception of color, however they now have FABULOUS natural light bulbs available (they cost more, but are definitely worth the money). I have a flourescent light in my stamp room with these bulbs and I don't have ANY problem working at night with the light they provide. I also have an OTT light mounted on my desk top, but about the only time I turn it on is when I'm working with a lot of dark paper or very detailed work.
We finished our basement over 4 years ago and I have can lights in part of the area but the flourescent lighting Boss describes above. I specifically asked the contractor to install the natural lights. I love it. They are recessed so they are hanging down and even though there is a slight hum, you don't hear it if the music or tv is on. I'm down there working quite a bit and many times at night. We haven't had to change a tube yet!

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless ~ Mother Teresa
Old 08-23-2006, 05:03 AM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by redapron
We finished our basement over 4 years ago and I have can lights in part of the area but the flourescent lighting Boss describes is above my main work area. I specifically asked the contractor to install the natural lights. I love it. They are recessed so they aren't hanging down and even though there is a slight hum, you don't hear it if the music or tv is on. I'm down there working quite a bit and many times at night. We haven't had to change a tube yet!
miss that dang edit button! I've corrected my own quote to make sense!

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless ~ Mother Teresa
Old 08-23-2006, 06:15 AM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by redapron
We finished our basement over 4 years ago and I have can lights in part of the area but the flourescent lighting Boss describes above. I specifically asked the contractor to install the natural lights. I love it. They are recessed so they are hanging down and even though there is a slight hum, you don't hear it if the music or tv is on. I'm down there working quite a bit and many times at night. We haven't had to change a tube yet!
The humming thing with flourescents must be something to do with the quality of some of the new fixtures. My flourescent is perfectly quiet and I have NEVER had to change a bulb (I know it's been up about 10 years, so I probably just doomed my bulbs!) I know on old fixtures a humming sound was a sign that the ballast was starting to go bad....can't be the reason on the new ones unless they were defective to start with.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:49 AM   #11  
ajm
Insane Embellisher

I use those little curly que looking bulbs that are supposed to last 5 years and be really energy efficient in most of the fixtures in my house. (Some of the ceiling lights we have that are covered by a glass dome aren't big enough for these, so we have to use regular light bulbs in the hallways and a couple of bedrooms.) They are nice and bright and don't hum except in one spot in the dining room for some reason - turning the stero up solves that problem though! I can't remember when the first light bulb went in, but we haven't had to change one yet, we might be getting close to that 5 year mark though.

The ott lights are supposed to be the best and a friend of mine has a table top one for her sewing so she can set it any where and direct the light where she wants it.

Ann
Old 08-23-2006, 08:01 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

You can now get flourescent bulbs in a regular looking light bulb as well as the twisty curlique style as well. The biggest problem with a lot of lights in the room would be not just the cost of running the lights but that it makes the room hotter with a lot of lights.

In California when we had our energy shortage a few years ago, we switched all of our light bulbs to the flourescent and saw a drop in the electric bill but still had plenty of light.

Good luck with your room lighting plan...

--
Cindy
chiripa
Old 08-23-2006, 08:02 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Red face

sorry for the double post...

--
Cindy
chiripa
Old 08-23-2006, 01:04 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

I have florescents... I found that if I combined a Cool tone bulb and a Warm tone bulb I get a pretty good accuracy with the colors. It's been working great for me!

Old 08-24-2006, 03:13 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have flourescents and love it.