Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Stamp Designing (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/stamp-designing-364505/)

pinkpoison 07-16-2008 02:24 PM

Stamp Designing

Hi friends,

Does anyone know how hard it is to break into the stamp designing business? I've always wanted to try designing some but not sure where to start. Any tips and advice is welcome.

I know there are thousands of stamp designs out there so I guess originality is a must. hahaha. What kind of stamps do you stampers look for the most: flowers, food, birds, quotes, etc.

Thanks!!! have a most awesome day!

Marie

Gina K. Designs 07-16-2008 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkpoison (Post 10559494)
Hi friends,

Does anyone know how hard it is to break into the stamp designing business? I've always wanted to try designing some but not sure where to start. Any tips and advice is welcome.

I know there are thousands of stamp designs out there so I guess originality is a must. hahaha. What kind of stamps do you stampers look for the most: flowers, food, birds, quotes, etc.

Marie

Hi Marie,
The best thing to do is draw in a style that reflects your personality. Then, when you have images that you would love to stamp with, find a company you love and ask them if they would like to see your work. The company may decide to pick you up as an artist and then you would be a stamp designer. :) Best of luck to you.
Hugs,
Gina K.

Suzy_H 07-16-2008 02:35 PM

I am in the same boat (wanting to start a company) - my ideas are better than my artistic ability. I even have a quality company to make the rubber for me. But I am scared to fail lol - it would break my heart. But I have to say I haven't seen anywhere what I want to do, so that is a positive.

ibaa4food 07-16-2008 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkpoison (Post 10559494)
Hi friends,

Marie

I use a lot of flowers, but I am always looking for robots, dinosaurs and monsters for boy cards. Those are very hard to find, in my opinion. At least, good, cute ones are hard to find. I'd love a robot with a heart. And cute dinosaurs and monsters!

JulieHRR 07-16-2008 02:39 PM

Stampers are looking for just about anything and everything, when it comes to images. ;)

If you're interested in becoming an illustrator for a rubber stamp company, I'd do what Gina advises: contact one you like.

Big/major rubber stamp manufacturers often hire in-house illustrators full-time.

Smaller companies will probably contract with you to illustrate on a free-lance basis.

Good luck!

pinkpoison 07-16-2008 02:42 PM

Suzy, Don't be scared. Well... actually I'm scared too. hahaha. But what do we have to lose? Even if I fail miserably... I think it would be a fun fun journery. Goooooo STAMPERS!!!

pinkpoison 07-16-2008 02:46 PM

Thanks Gina

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. Designs (Post 10559546)
Hi Marie,
The best thing to do is draw in a style that reflects your personality. Then, when you have images that you would love to stamp with, find a company you love and ask them if they would like to see your work. The company may decide to pick you up as an artist and then you would be a stamp designer. :) Best of luck to you.
Hugs,
Gina K.

Thanks for your awesome advice. I will do that. But don't be scared if you see me with a stack of designs in front of your house in the rain someday. haha. j/k

But thanks and I love your stuff!

JulieHRR 07-16-2008 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzy_H (Post 10559615)
I am in the same boat (wanting to start a company) - my ideas are better than my artistic ability. I even have a quality company to make the rubber for me. But I am scared to fail lol - it would break my heart. But I have to say I haven't seen anywhere what I want to do, so that is a positive.

I've seen the level of commitment it takes to own and operate a (any) company with success, and I dunno that I personally would ever have the stamina or wherewithall to do that.

But, at the same time, nothing ventured, nothing gained. ;)

Could you fail? Sure.

But, you could also succeed. There are no guarantees either way.

There comes a time, with any dream or ambition you have, when you have to say, "I don't care if I fail. This is 'it'. I've found it. This is my passion; if I don't do this, I will never know what I could have accomplished."

And, then you develop a strong business plan, and go balls out for it. :D

katestamps716 07-16-2008 03:07 PM

What sort of "deal" do designers get? Is it like publishing where they are given an advance and then royalties on their sales? Or is it just a flat percentage of the sales of their sets?

JulieHRR 07-16-2008 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katestamps716 (Post 10559915)
What sort of "deal" do designers get? Is it like publishing where they are given an advance and then royalties on their sales? Or is it just a flat percentage of the sales of their sets?

Depends on the contractual arrangements between the illustrator and the manufacturer.

Suzy_H 07-16-2008 03:11 PM

Thanks Julie - GREAT advice. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR (Post 10559872)
I've seen the level of commitment it takes to own and operate a (any) company with success, and I dunno that I personally would ever have the stamina or wherewithall to do that.

But, at the same time, nothing ventured, nothing gained. ;)

Could you fail? Sure.

But, you could also succeed. There are no guarantees either way.

There comes a time, with any dream or ambition you have, when you have to say, "I don't care if I fail. This is 'it'. I've found it. This is my passion; if I don't do this, I will never know what I could have accomplished."

And, then you develop a strong business plan, and go balls out for it. :D

mslieder 07-16-2008 03:22 PM

I once heard a great saying:

"Not trying is wondering your whole life if you gave up too soon."

I say GO FOR IT!

katestamps716 07-16-2008 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR (Post 10559921)
Depends on the contractual arrangements between the illustrator and the manufacturer.

Right, but what are some examples? Is there an industry norm?

JulieHRR 07-16-2008 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katestamps716 (Post 10560490)

I don't know specifics beyond:
  • If the illustration is not accepted, usually there is no compensation
  • If accepted, it can be a flat fee for the illustration, or flat fee + royalties
  • Some companies offer only royalties from sales
I have no idea what the "norm" is in this particular industry; most illustrators and companies, small or large, of course, are not inclined to disclose the figures. :)

Crafts 07-16-2008 04:48 PM

For a new thread in the Announcements forum this afternoon, I have been researching open calls for stamping design teams. Along the way, I happened to find two calls for stamp designers. Here are the links, although I don't know much about the companies.

Spiral Whisper
http://spiralwhisper.blogspot.com/20...designers.html

Scrapbook Takeout
http://www.trumba.com/calendars/pubs...tid%3D78519126

katestamps716 07-16-2008 06:15 PM

Thanks Julie!

mrsjllove 07-16-2008 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katestamps716 (Post 10560490)

I dunno about how it works in the stamping world, but in graphics design, our base price for a single illustration is $175 and it goes up from there depending on the complexity of the illo, the number of illos requested at one time, and (if I am being honest here) the temperament of the client. (LOL) We have had some really nit-picky people come by our web-door for custom illustrations so they are charged extra. :rolleyes: (like can you color the green #38A948 instead of #38A940...NO LIE he wanted it changed that much)

I'd say go for it if that is something you really enjoy doing. *I* do not enjoy it. Not even one little teeny tiny bit so I admire those who do. :) :mrgreen:

pinkpoison 07-16-2008 07:44 PM

Thanks everyone for the awesome info!

melmel 08-02-2008 10:47 AM

Taking a chance worked for me (I went ahead and did it before I had time to thinnk of the reasons why maybe I shouldn't LOL!!) good luck!! just do it!!