Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Sponging help! (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/sponging-help-99068/)

luvteaching 11-10-2005 06:25 PM

Sponging help!

OK-I've been drooling over the beautiful samples in the galleries and can't figure out how everyone makes the coloring so even and perfect and subtle on the outside edges for that subtle touch. Does this make sense? It's not the actual stamping image I'm talking about, it's the outside edges where the stamper used a sponge to subtley color the edges.

Any advice? I have the sponge daubers, but it seems like everytime I use them, it's really dark in one spot and isn't subtle at all. HELP!
Thank you!

SilverDragoness 11-10-2005 06:29 PM

hmmmm

Ususally when I sponge stuff after I tap it in my ink I use a piece of scratch paper and tap it a couple of times on that as well. That way it's not too bright and it helps me to keep a more even inking. hth

row4d 11-10-2005 06:36 PM

Cutting the sponges into quarters makes them a lot easier to hold and control the ink!

Rebecca 1 11-10-2005 06:40 PM

Don't use the sponge daubers. They're to precise. If you use the round sponges you can cut them into four pieces and you can get that look quite easily. Plus with those round sponges you can either have one sponge for each color ink you own or when they get too dirty, just throw them in a pillow case and wash them in your washing machine. Good as new. Hope that helps.

Rebecca

luvteaching 11-10-2005 06:41 PM

Thanks for all your help.
One more question--what then are the sponge daubers useful for or most often used for?

karrieg 11-10-2005 06:43 PM

I use the daubers when applying pastels. HTH.

Karrie G.

stampinCPA 11-10-2005 06:56 PM

I use the daubers for the pastels and chalk ink.

stu 11-10-2005 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhawks
Don't use the sponge daubers. They're to precise. If you use the round sponges you can cut them into four pieces and you can get that look quite easily. Plus with those round sponges you can either have one sponge for each color ink you own or when they get too dirty, just throw them in a pillow case and wash them in your washing machine. Good as new. Hope that helps.

Rebecca

Rebecca,

Great idea to wash the round sponges--when I've used them I've been trying to match them up with the right color and hope I don't contaminate any of the pads with the wrong color because it is kind of hard to see exactly what color is on those sponges. I'll have to try the pillowcase idea until I get enough sponges to have one for each color and then figure out some way to label them.

TFS!

row4d 11-11-2005 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu
I'll have to try the pillowcase idea until I get enough sponges to have one for each color and then figure out some way to label them.

When I cleaned them I just did it in the sink with a little soap. If you do this before using them it softens them (gets rid of the manufacturing residue) and they pick up the ink better as well as applying it more evenly to the paper. To label them I just write on the side with a Sharpie, abbreviating the longer color names.

crabbymommyof2 11-11-2005 06:40 AM

I have heard of some ladies who store their sponge wedges along with the corresponding re-inker in a plastic toy car carrier. They usually have 48 spots and you can get them for around $5.

BearingFruit 11-11-2005 06:48 AM

I use sponge daubers for my pigment inks. They really save money. I just squirt a drop of ink on a CD. Dip my dauber in the ink, and sponge the ink to my stamp. Its quick, easy, saves space and money. How great is that?

Blessings
Pam