Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-07-2006, 12:49 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Default Spectrum Pads

Ok so I know some of you are going to laugh because I always make a big deal about not caring about how messy my stamp stuff is. So I'm using a pretty new spectrum bad and the inks are all mushing together. Is this just part of using a spectrum pad and I should get over it? I guess where it actually is bothering me is between a yellow and a green. The green is really making the yellow muddy. I don't mind the inks mushing together some but when it obliterates the other color it's not as fun.

Oh and my second question is how do you get that nice smooth flowing color for me I have to touch the stamp to the ink pad once and then move it slightly and do it again otherwise I end up with some wierd lines. Any spectrum experts out there willing to shed some light for me.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-07-2006, 12:59 PM   #2  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverDragoness
Ok so I know some of you are going to laugh because I always make a big deal about not caring about how messy my stamp stuff is. So I'm using a pretty new spectrum bad and the inks are all mushing together. Is this just part of using a spectrum pad and I should get over it? I guess where it actually is bothering me is between a yellow and a green. The green is really making the yellow muddy. I don't mind the inks mushing together some but when it obliterates the other color it's not as fun.

Oh and my second question is how do you get that nice smooth flowing color for me I have to touch the stamp to the ink pad once and then move it slightly and do it again otherwise I end up with some wierd lines. Any spectrum experts out there willing to shed some light for me.
Are you sliding the pads together to stamp? And are you sliding them apart when you store it?

When I'm using a stamp I slide the pads together and tap a few times. I don't seem to have problems with lines.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:59 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Typically, I rub my stamp along the pad in the same direction as the color divisions are, when initially inking, and then I tap it against the pad, in place, about 5-6 times. This blends those color division lines, because the stamp will not land in "precisely" the same spot every time you tap, of course.

Muddying will probably always be an issue, but you CAN try blotting (with a paper towel) and then reinking that yellow section to help neutralize that muddying effect where the two colors come in contact?

HTH,
Old 09-07-2006, 01:00 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

JINX!!!! You owe me a Coke, Jeanne!
Old 09-07-2006, 01:00 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

I notice some of that too with the lighter colors. I have some older spectrum pads that did not move apart and had plastic separaters that you took in and out. Ick. What a mess! Over time they became all one color. I am not sure why the ink muddies the way it does. I usually rock my stamp as I ink. Go from lighter ink color to darker. I think you could even do this while the inks are separated...just moving the stamp slightly when you incorporate the darker ink color. We do that with regular ink pads in stamp class and it works great.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2006, 01:01 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

I remember reading that to get the gentle melding of colours at the edges of each colour, using a brayer helps--that way you can ink your stamp with the brayer and move it slightly as you roll it to get a smooth gradient. I don't know what folks do with the brayer after that, as you would then have some of the neighbouring colours on the part of the brayer that would touch one colour on the spectrum pad. Maybe they make up some matching paper or something until the brayer ink is all used up. I don't even know if I am making any sense today! Hopefully someone more coherent than me comes along soon.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:35 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Jeanne, yup I'm putting them together when I stamp and separating when stored. Thanks Julie that is what I'm doing I just wanted to make sure that there weren't any tips or tricks that I was missing. Looks like muddying is inevitable.