Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-06-2007, 08:56 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear stamp question

I have a few clear stamps, one set is the Angel Co. the other two are Rhonna Farrer's stamps that you can get at WalMart. Well, each time I use them, I never get a good stamp, the ink's uneven. Is it the sets, me, or the acrylics are just that way, they're not like the rubber stamp/SU stamps where the ink just sticks.

There are some clear stamps that I want to get, they're just really cute, but I can't seem to use the three that I have and a bit leary on buying anymore none rubber ones.

Thanks!

Happily designing for WPlus9 and CSS stamps, Waltzingmouse sketch, Scarlet Lime kit club, and the Digichick Card Caravan
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2007, 09:23 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

I am not familiar with those brands of clear stamps, but I have used both Papertrey Ink and Hanna Stamps clear stamps and I have never had problems with inking. It might be the brand... or what ink are you using? I use Stampin Up classic dye ink with mine, and they always ink evenly and easily.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2007, 12:54 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

The Angel Company does not make clear stamps. Are you meaning unmounted?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2007, 12:59 AM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

I use Palette Hybrid, chalk ink or Brilliance with my clear stamps and have had pretty good luck with them getting a good impression. I have some of the ones from Walmart and also the $ stamps from Mike's & Joanne and these inks work just fine with them.
Just Us Girls Challenge DT
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2007, 01:55 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

There have been some previous threads talking about the issue of getting a good stamped image using acrylic stamps. The general consensus seems to be that clear acrylic stamp quality varies among the assorted companies who produce them, with some being higher quality and some lower.

Also, it can help to try different inks, as other posters in this thread have mentioned. I have a good selection of clear acrylic stamps, including ones by Rhonna Farrer/Autumn Leaves. I always get a good stamped image using Colorsnap pigment inks (which I LOVE for their quality and fabulous color). I also find that I need to use a lighter touch when I stamp with acrylic stamps than with red rubber; if I press too hard, the image is distorted and smooshy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2007, 02:41 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

TAC is deeply etched quality rubber on ez mount so any ink should give a clear image.

For clear stamps I 1) rub an eraser over it the first time to get off the layer of "newness".. I've read it here several times and it really does work!
and
2) use a pigment or hybrid ink such as palette.. using dye ink seems to not work as well. I've noticed pigment and hybrid inks stain more but that doesn't affect the quality of the stamp in anyway. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2007, 03:44 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

One the things you need to do with the cheaper clear acrylics is before you use them again, take a WHITE eraser and rub it over the stamp. It takes off a film that was on there from the making process. Then after this is done the ink will stick properly to it. On some of the real cheap ones I need to do a couple of times until I am satisfied with the results. The eraser leaves a bit of a cloudy look but the ink will hold perfectly. The even classic ink holds great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2007, 04:44 AM   #8  
Glitter Queen

Another tip that works great for me is to have a stamp pad under what you are stamping. It gives you a much clearer crisp image. As with any new stamp you should ink it up and stamp for 10 - 15 times to break it in so to speak. The eraser idea is doing the same thing and that works great too!
Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2007, 04:48 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

I have one Rhonna Farrer set and several Papertrey Ink sets. The Rhonna Farrer set doesn't take my SU! classic ink anywhere near as well as PTI. I'm sure it's a difference in the kind of acrylic used.

So, when I use my RF set, I generally use SU! craft ink and that really takes well. Of course, the craft ink on the PTI sets is great, too!

Don't give up on acrylic stamps. There are some really nice ones out there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2007, 05:24 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Sorry, yes, I meant unmounted for TAC.
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll try the white eraser and a different ink. I use the SU classic ink. I do have a few craft ink, I'll see if that makes a difference and I'll try another brand that you ladies mention if none works well.

I did also find that it gets mushy when I push too hard and the result is worst.

Happily designing for WPlus9 and CSS stamps, Waltzingmouse sketch, Scarlet Lime kit club, and the Digichick Card Caravan

Last edited by putri; 12-07-2007 at 05:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2007, 05:31 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Oh, on inks. I've been a loyal SU ink user because I've bought random brands in the past and just don't like them. The color's not that hot or they just dry off really quick. I have a Real Red and Navy Blue (in the small container back in the days) and they're still going. I have never reinked any of my stamp pads. Maybe I don't use them as much as you ladies but they're still nice. I prob. need to reink the black and chocolate chip since I use them so much more than the rest but anyway... what other brand, store brand, is good?

I get so confused when faced with so many inks when I'm at the store. The ones some of you mentioned above, are those online only or can be found in most scrapbook/craft store? I think papertrey ink is online only, right?

Thanks again!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2007, 06:05 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

I *love* SU inks, but my experience is that they just don't work well with clear stamps. Color Box fluid chalks or pigment inks work the best. So don't give up! You just need to try some other inks.

There is also a huge difference in the quality of stamps. A Muse's clear stamps are high-quality, and they produce a very nice image. They have some great image sets...and their alphabets are to die for! Here's a link to their site:

http://www.amuseartstamps.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2007, 06:45 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

You use different inks and different pressure for clear stamps....

I love them but it is different than rubber.

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2007, 08:09 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

There's pigment ink, dye ink, chalk ink, and some just says stamp pad. What's the difference? Should I just stick to pigment?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2007, 09:19 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

I was going to mention the pigment inks idea, too. I've found I get better images with them than SU classic ink pads.

I haven't tried the white eraser suggestion, but I have used a VERY fine grain sandpaper on some of my stamps that weren't working quite as well as they should and it worked great. I'd feel better starting with the eraser, though. Makes you nervous to sand your stamps!

Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2007, 09:47 AM   #16  
Glitter Guru

Another thing you want to make sure is that you are using a good cardstock to stamp on - especially if you are using solid image stamps...

Cheaper cardstock has differing levels of porosity and the weave of the paper can be "looser" so the ink settles into the paper at different rates which can leave an image looking "splotchy" and can allow for the ink to diffuse through the paper, which can lead to a feathery looking edge.

Whereas higher quality cardstock will usually have a coating on it and have a tighter weave to the paper - this allows for the ink to absorb at the same rate and give a crisp impression.

Most stamp companies that sell paper will have higher quality paper that is best for stamping...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2007, 09:56 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I use Versafine ink with my clear stamps and get a nice clear image. I have never had to prep the stamps with an eraser before using. IMHO, Versafine ink is the best one on the market for any stamp (clear or rubber).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2007, 09:58 AM   #18  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by putriView Post
I have a few clear stamps, one set is the Angel Co. the other two are Rhonna Farrer's stamps that you can get at WalMart. Well, each time I use them, I never get a good stamp, the ink's uneven. Is it the sets, me, or the acrylics are just that way, they're not like the rubber stamp/SU stamps where the ink just sticks.

There are some clear stamps that I want to get, they're just really cute, but I can't seem to use the three that I have and a bit leary on buying anymore none rubber ones.

Thanks!

You said you have stamp set from the Angel company..... Our stamps are NOT Clear. They are Unmounted Blue Rubber stamps.

Our stamps are deeply etched and when using them they leave a Good impression just like SU stamps do.

Our stamps use a Arylic Block instead of wood block, And all of our Stamps come with a full sheet of Ez-mount foam.

These are totally different from Clear Stamps.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2007, 10:01 AM   #19  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I also use Palette inks, Staz On, Versa Magic Chalk inks, Colorbox chalk inks,
Stampin up Classic and Craft inks on mine.

On TAC stamps that is. They Blue Rubber Stamps. and deeply etched stamps.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2007, 10:15 AM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by putriView Post
There's pigment ink, dye ink, chalk ink, and some just says stamp pad. What's the difference? Should I just stick to pigment?
It depends upon the surface you are going to stamp on as to what type of ink to use, also if you want to emboss or not. Read the back of the stamp pad, it will tell you what types of surfaces the ink can be used on. For example, if you are going to stamp on shimmer or glossy paper you need an ink for a non-porous surface, such archival brilliance inks. Archival Brilliance can be embossed or left to dry. In general pigment inks are embossable inks, dye ink are usually not embossable as those inks dry quickly.

You are correct in being confused with all of the ink choices out there. In fact there could be a entire manual written on inks. Again, read the back of the ink pad, it will give the most information. And if the back of the ink pad doesn't give you any information, personally I wouldn't buy it. I always have to read the back of the pad cause I forget which pads have waterproof ink!

Personally I have (like all others here) a huge collection of ink pads, in all the glorious colors. Also within the company, it will produce pigment, dye, chalk etc. lines. I have ink pads from Personal Stamp Exchange, Memories, Archival Brilliance, Kaledicolor, SU, Versamark, Color Box, to name a few. It's sorta like shoes, when your DH or WBF (wonderful boyfriend) says "Just how many pairs of black shoes do you need?" Well we all KNOW the answer to that one, it's the same w/ink pads!
So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 1 Cor 10:31
Reply With Quote Likes