Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-29-2006, 08:49 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Need inexpensive teacher ideas

I'm on our PTO board and opened my mouth about us not doing enough for the teachers. So guess who is in charge? ;-) Actually I volunteered myself.

So I'm looking for inexpensive, easy, quick ideas (because I'll be doing them for approx 30 teachers).

Can be sayings for bag toppers "You're worth a mint"

Or any other ideas as well (stamping or non stamping).

I want just small things to leave in their boxes as surprises. Will do something larger for teacher appreciation week.

Jane
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 09:47 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Aren't you nice!! If you are looking for inexpensive ideas, here's a few:

1. A few thank you cards, with envelopes and some postage stamps
2. set of post it notes
3. bottle of tylenol with a candy bar in a baggie with a topper that says "for emergency only"

hope this helps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 10:50 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a cute "Thanks for your commitment" topper that I did and put a variety of mint type candies in it...if you PM me with an email address I can email the attachment

I end up doing a lot of staff projects..these are some simple, inexpensive ones...

1 Lifesavers stamped with a cute saying
2 Regular Pencils with a stamped tag tied on as a topper with decorative ribbon
3 Stamped 6 inch rulers that you can buy at Walmart for 23cents. You stamp a piece of paper and attach under the clear ruler
4 Mini M&M canisters stamped
5 simple set of 4 note cards...no layers just with a cute Thanks stamp and maybe kids stamped on it (teachers always need thank you notes)
6 Jolly Rancher suckers with a cover, cute saying and tied on with a ribbon
7 Micro Popcorn (30 for around 7.00 at Sams) with a saying on the cover, stamped and tied with a ribbon
8 Juicy Fruit Gum (cheap at Sams 5.00 for 40 packs)---some saying about "Try chewing gum when you would rather be chewing on...." (depending on the staff...mine thought it was very funny)
9 The teacher survival kits are cute with bag toppers if you have not already done something like that before
10 The cute "tent type" candy holders are cute that hold one little hershey's nugget (I have seen them in the gallery!)

Have fun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 10:58 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

When I was a teacher, I remember one day a gold chocolate coin appeared in my mailbox ... one for each of us from our principal. It was a very meaningful and "quiet" acknowledgement.

Another time the students' union put an apple in every teacher's mailbox. Very sweet and very appreciation small thing.

I give my kids' teachers a box of tea at the end of every first week of teaching every year. That first week is very hard on teachers' voices!

Speaking as a teacher, it doesn't have to be anything too elaborate. Just something small like that meant a lot to me ... even 15 years later I can remember it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 10:59 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

I hate that the edit button is gone! Grr .....

DH also said that at Christmas his staff is regularly given a Christmas orange or a candy cane ... they show up at surprise intervals.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 11:08 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made beaded pens for the whole staff at my kids school....they had a little tag (stamped of course) that said ......"Thanks for a stu"pen"dous year. Each pen had their first name stamped on them and they absolutely loved them! A lot of work for a whole staff, but well worth the SMILES!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 05:30 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the ideas so far. Keep them coming!

Jane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 07:47 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

2-4-6-8 boxes are relatively quick- and chocolate is always appreciated at my school! It sounds like you're getting ready to do this now, beginning of the year...so I always get back to school and am not "quite" in the groove yet, with getting out the door on time and packing my lunch and all...so even a water bottle is much appreciated! There are some cute samples in the gallery that attach a crystal light or kool-aid packet. Or some crackers for that snack time and nothing is left in our drawer- or what is left needs to be tossed. What about decorating a nice bag of coffee (or two or three) for the teacher's lounge? Don't forget the bus drivers and cafeteria staff on week one- maybe a v8 or a 100 grand bar? Ear Plugs? Um, just kidding. If you didn't want to bead an RSVP pen you could stamp paper and slip it inside. Anything is appreciated! It is great that you are taking the lead- your school PTSO is lucky to have you.
((��.�� ..�� Beth theangelcompany #3332
-:�:- ((��. Beauty is the gift of God. - Aristotle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 08:18 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 431 Likes on 164 Posts

Give each teacher a questionaire asking favorite candy bars, sodas, hobbies, colors, what they like to read or do in their spare time, favorite teacher gifts,least favorite teacher gifts, etc.
These responses can be helpful throughout the year, but the first week you could give each teacher a stamped bag with their favorite candy bar and soda inside!! "For all you do this bag's for you!!!!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 08:24 PM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

Talking

I just finished making my sons teacher a teacher survival kit. you can take an item or two out of the kit to use as a surprise. here is the link http://www.craftygardener.ca/survivalkits6.html
hope this helps
Jennifer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 09:29 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbowens
I just finished making my sons teacher a teacher survival kit. you can take an item or two out of the kit to use as a surprise. here is the link http://www.craftygardener.ca/survivalkits6.html
hope this helps
Jennifer
I love this site! I am a preschool teacher (Pre*K) and I think I am going to use one of the poems from teacher to students. Thanks Jennifer!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 10:28 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

I am a 2nd grade teacher, and honestly any small acknowledgement goes a long way. Oh! I should have said any small "chocolate" acknowledgement goes a long way! For example, a few Kisses, or a small candy bar, with a simple "thank you" works wonders.

Thank You for caring about the teachers at your school; they are lucky to have you.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 11:03 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

I am also a teacher, and I agree that any little thing that thanks then for the job they do, will go a long way, at least it does with the teachers that I work with. Sometimes the appreciation is few and far between in this job and it is nice to hear from others that they appreciate the hard work that goes along with teaching.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 11:51 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

They are lucky to have you (and that you are thinking so far ahead..
Since you are also paying attention(love the idea of collecting surveys)
Make sure to have available ICE WATER (or cold drinks) for the hot start of shcool (or work days)
and maybe some lo cal choices for the teachers that can't be tempted with the treats?

We were always greeted back to school with bagels and pastries and complaints from the lo carb people, Also any info you collect could be used for gettign to know you games or fillers in the newsletter

What new teacher hiked the appalachian trail?
who crocheted five baby blankets this summer?
is there a new DOCTOR in the fifth grade? congratulations to mrs Y who just completed her dissertation.

Good luck
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2006, 03:26 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Koozies with cold bottled water are wonderful! You could even turn them into floozy koozies by hot gluing a feather boa trim.

One year on our first paycheck of the year, we all had Payday candybars in our boxes along with our paystubs.

Pens and pencils - the students go through them like crazy. You can even get them personalized (Oriental trading company?) to say "Borrowed from my teacher."

Wooden rulers - write on them "You measure up. Thanks for all you do." You can get wooden rulers for about a nickel here when the back-to-school sales start.

Stock up on the composition books and turn them into nice ones for the teachers. Use the school colors and mascot. Put their names on the front. Again, you can get these really inexpensively this time of year.

A pack of gum, stickers, hot cocoa packs, antibacterial lotion, anything chocolate, cheese/peanut butter crackers, trail mix - these are all great little pick-me-ups.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2006, 03:28 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Someone mentioned chocolate kisses earlier. Have you tried the new coconut chocolate kisses - they are INCREDIBLE!!! The bag says limited time only, so I am going to stock up and put them in my freezer. They are the best kisses yet (although the cherry ones at Christmas last year were pretty darn good too.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2006, 06:16 AM   #17  
Gabfest Goddess

Teachers love CHOCOLATE!!!
I did work with a fellow teacher who was a diabetic but he took the Chocolate home for his wife!

Thanks for thinking about us teachers!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2006, 01:37 PM   #18  
Crimping Master

I have received several emails for info on the commitment topper...I actually started a gallery and put it in it. I also have several other simply, easy favor type ideas that I use for staff in my schools.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2006, 02:04 PM   #19  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinagriff
Someone mentioned chocolate kisses earlier. Have you tried the new coconut chocolate kisses - they are INCREDIBLE!!! The bag says limited time only, so I am going to stock up and put them in my freezer. They are the best kisses yet (although the cherry ones at Christmas last year were pretty darn good too.)
I want the coconut kisses and can't find them...HELP!! Where did you find them at??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2006, 02:13 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

If you can find a local printer to make memo cubes they can be inexpensive and fun to make and receive and use.
For Valentine's Day I put three chocolates in a sour cream container. They seemed to like those.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2006, 07:25 PM   #21  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmslmomto3
I want the coconut kisses and can't find them...HELP!! Where did you find them at??
I haven't seen the coconut kisses, but I haven't really been looking for them. However, I found white chocolate strawberry kisses last Valentine's Day at Target. They were amazing! My aerobics teacher gave them out (of all things) and I had to go buy some.

I see you live in Maryland, as do I, so you might look there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2006, 06:50 AM   #22  
Mad Swapper

I am a teacher at a campus with about 100 on staff. Our PTA gave out apple shaped stress balls (I believe they are from orientaltrading) that we could use in stressful situations. We also get 100 grand candy bars when we sign up for the PTA this year. We have also received payday candy bars. We have also received jars with the makings for pasta salad. And small calculators with our school's info inprinted on them.

Jeanette
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2006, 07:12 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

[quote=lazylizard]Give each teacher a questionaire asking favorite candy bars, sodas, hobbies, colors, what they like to read or do in their spare time, favorite teacher gifts,least favorite teacher gifts, etc.

What a great idea...I'm going to make up a questionaire right now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2006, 08:19 AM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

I found the coconut kisses at Target.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2006, 09:37 AM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

I just finished up making this pencil/pen holder for one of my kids teachers. I am going to make two more for the others, but this is the first. I used my Cricut machine with Doodlecharms cartridge to make the School Bus and Apple, and stamped the word School with All Around Alphabet, the tags are stamped using the Notebook Alphabet and then a ticket punch that I only used half of. I used some sticky tape to attach it all, ribbon around the top and bottom and waalaa.. it's done!

I have done "Fight Free" treats for each kid in my kids classes every month since they started school. On the last day of school for the month, if their class is Fight Free, I bring in treats, juices and a small stamped item such as a bookmark or pencils for each of them ~ and the teacher too. I have been wanting to make some of these for a while, but every time I set aside cans after I clean them.. my hubby tosses them out! I am going to give each of the teachers this treat this month for Fight Free since it's the first month of the school year.

Pam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2006, 09:39 AM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

OOPS!!! I totally forgot the picture!!! Pam
Attached Thumbnails
Need inexpensive teacher ideas-untitled-stitched-01.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2006, 11:11 AM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

I just made a bunch of these this weekend.

They each hold four 3x3 little cards.
Attached Thumbnails
Need inexpensive teacher ideas-all-through-year-white-3x3.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2006, 02:28 PM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

I think teachers are way under appreciated so I have tried lots of diff easy things... one of the favs was take a few brown lunch bags and stamp them for different occasions,,like bday valentines diff holidays etc school mascot... tied them up with twine and a note to make brown baggging more fun...

made a pencil pouch with a couple of pencils inside, gift cards for office supply store, or book store.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2006, 07:06 PM   #29  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Received 123 Likes on 109 Posts

See if you can get a list of all the faculty members' birthdays so you can give each of them a (hand-stamped) card on their special day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2006, 05:02 AM   #30  
Stampin' Fool

What great ideas!

I found out last year one of the teachers heard about me before we started school.

She asked me on the first visit if I would Sizzix for her as I did the teacher the year before.

So how easy it was to have some shapes thrown in a clear bag with a nice topper. She was always so happy and I knew I got off easy. She was a great teacher. It was so worth it.

I never did give anybody hell. I just told the truth and they thought it was hell.

Harry S. Truman
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2006, 07:03 AM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

I just thought of something. Address labels! If you can find out the teacher's address you can print some labels on your computer then run a wheel over them. You can do them for different seasons. Who wouldn't love that?
And if you don't know their address, teachers are always loaning books out so you could do the same thing only have it say from the library of: Mrs. Magillicutty.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2006, 02:44 PM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

I saw someone on here made a dry erase board and did their picture on card stock and then laminated it, put magnets on the back. Sounded very cool to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2006, 03:20 PM   #33  
Inking Addict

I have a whole bunch of little sayings to go on candy bars.

Like on a Milky Way...We think you're out of this world...signed PTO...etc. I can snail mail you copies of what I have if you want them.

Last year I /stamped bookmarks for my daughter to give to the entire staff during TAW. They loved it. I've done post it note holders, even done cheap votive candles embossed with tissue paper. Lots of ideas that are inexpensive but very appreciated. have a list at home that I can PM you and or add to the snail mail...

LMK,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2006, 03:27 PM   #34  
Matboard Maniac

Could You PM that list to me please. TYIA, Diana
Have a great day!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Belle
I have a whole bunch of little sayings to go on candy bars.

Like on a Milky Way...We think you're out of this world...signed PTO...etc. I can snail mail you copies of what I have if you want them.

Last year I /stamped bookmarks for my daughter to give to the entire staff during TAW. They loved it. I've done post it note holders, even done cheap votive candles embossed with tissue paper. Lots of ideas that are inexpensive but very appreciated. have a list at home that I can PM you and or add to the snail mail...

LMK,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2006, 03:33 PM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

This is a great thread. Thanks for all the great ideas!!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2006, 04:52 PM   #36  
Kookie Creator

Default Pens!

I never have enough pens in my classroom. I loan them to students and never see them again, set them down and forget where I put them, use them in another room and leave them there, etc., etc. Maybe you could come up with a cute saying to include with them.
Reply With Quote Likes