Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Something funny about the new Martha Stewart scrapbook stuff at Michael's. (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/something-funny-about-new-martha-stewart-scrapbook-stuff-michaels-242859/)

dgmlmax 04-23-2007 03:00 PM

Something funny about the new Martha Stewart scrapbook stuff at Michael's.

While at the Register, I said to the cashier, I see they really getting ready for the big "Martha" debut. All the shelf backs are lined with fancy paper. The signs are all up, just no product until the big day! I didn't say it negatively because I respect the fact that some people like her. Well I could tell from her response, she is not a fan. Neither am I, I just think she is arrogant! She said a few things and then said you know what I think is funny? The people doing the merchandising need to wear "white cotton gloves" while setting the entire area! She then said what's Martha gonna do when all the customers start touching the products?!!!!! LOL!
Dina

tx stamper 04-23-2007 03:04 PM

rofl!

that is TOO funny!
I'm going there the first day just to touch everything and put it back an inch from where it was.

mischelle larson 04-23-2007 03:09 PM

i got the same sort of negative type thing from my michaels in duluth mn to funny dont think the workers are fans of marthas

rixey 04-23-2007 03:10 PM

that's just plain crazy! hilarious, but crazy!
I haven't been to Michaels in a while, when does her stuff come out?

tx stamper 04-23-2007 03:11 PM

For the record I'm not a Martha hater or anything, I do love her designs, products and creativity, and own a lot of "Martha" products in my home.
It is funny about white cotton gloves and that there's nothing she can do about millions of people touching things and putting them back wrong while they browse.

sewsplendidstamper 04-23-2007 03:15 PM

I'm gonna go just to cough on them;-)

rgrohall 04-23-2007 03:35 PM

Our Michael's doesn't roll the stuff out till next weekend 4/29! I guess they must be doing a "rolling" opening with the stuff.

rixey 04-23-2007 03:38 PM

Thanks, Rebecca!

crazycatstamper 04-23-2007 03:40 PM

*****SPEW****** WHITE COTTON GLOVES????? She'd have a CORONARY if she saw our Michael's.... on any given day at any time there is at LEAST one small child running loose in the store pulling stuff off shelves.... he he he.....

kellestamps 04-23-2007 03:51 PM

Ours was actually putting out all the Martha stuff today. I almost bought a Martha 4 leaf punch--actually, it was called a hydrangea bloom. I would have bought it, but they wouldn't let me use my coupon (40%). So I just left it there and walked out without buying anything. The punches were all 9.99, and I am sure I will regret it later after seeing all the beautiful things you SCS'rs will do with her punches--but why is it that her stuff is off limits on the coupon?!? Oh well. It was all very beautifully laid out, and the clerks were NOT wearing white gloves. However, they were constantly pouring over the store layout pictures and diagrams to make sure they got things right. I actually have never seen so many Michaels workers in one spot before.

Oh, and the snowflake punches were beautiful--there were small scalloped squares and circles (less than an inch) and unique flower/sunburst shapes. Also there were border punches. However, the punches were the only things they let me get near.

Kelle

rgrohall 04-23-2007 04:04 PM

I'm thinking that maybe for the opening - they won't take coupons, but after the first few weeks - they will?

It could be wishful thinking!

grooveyjerseychick 04-23-2007 04:24 PM

is Martha exclusive to michaels? Tha's crap, coz Ilive in Japan and we don't have one here!! And no online!!!
Tia

mischelle larson 04-23-2007 04:32 PM

i am thinking they will be like the cricut machine. where martha stewert inc dictates sales etc.

shell_scraps 04-23-2007 04:39 PM

it states on the coupons that you can't use it on martha stuff....at least this week's coupon did...and you can't even get martha stuff at our m's yet!

scrappersister 04-23-2007 04:53 PM

As far as I know the products are exclusive to Michaels for now. I think that will change with time though. I am a fan of Martha Stewart. She may be a bit arrogant but she is a rich arrogant woman with products that many of us like to buy. :) I love this thread because I am reading about some thing I did not know like the white gloves. Some of your posts have been quite funny.

Mary

ChrisO 04-23-2007 04:58 PM

Oh, good grief! I can't wait to at least go and look at her line o' stuff; where I am sure I'll feel a sneeze coming on... :-)

rgrohall 04-23-2007 04:59 PM

on the white gloves topic:

I do stained glass ... and there is a local glass shop that makes you wear white gloves to touch the glass ! needless to say - I stopped shopping there! Way to A.R. for me, I have to touch the glass and look at ALL of it before I can buy!

scrappersister 04-23-2007 05:10 PM

Well, I hope that we are able to touch the new things in the Martha Stewart collection. I like to touch before I buy.

Mary

inkerzaway 04-23-2007 05:14 PM

aahhhh aaahhhh aaaahhhh aaahhh CHOOOO!!!! OOps, so sorry Ms. Martha! lol! I don't give a darn one way or the other about Martha's products, I am sure they are lovely but they won't be on my list since I can't sell 'em, ya know? but oh my, how sneezy I get when my allergies kick up sometimes....I just hope that I don't cough and sneeze so hard that I have an accident and leave a little puddle right in front of Martha's favorite things. lol! It happens with age, ya know...and a full bladder! ;-) Jan

USAMoose 04-23-2007 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tia Smith
is Martha exclusive to michaels? Tha's crap, coz Ilive in Japan and we don't have one here!! And no online!!!
Tia

I'm with you, Tia... I miss Michaels... and Hobby Lobby... and Garden Ridge... and even Wal-Mart! I just miss wandering up/down aisles and touching/feeling stuff before you buy it (sick, I know)... sniffles... :cry: All this talk is making me sad... Maybe I'll send my Mom in for some Martha gear... hmmm...

USAMoose 04-23-2007 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappersister
Well, I hope that we are able to touch the new things in the Martha Stewart collection. I like to touch before I buy.

Mary

Whew... so I'm not the only one who's "touchy feely" :D

carla36301 04-23-2007 05:40 PM

Well, I can't seem to figure out where the new Martha Stewart stuff will be in our local store. They've changed everything totally around, but the shelves seem to be full of lost of new stuff, but no Martha stuff, and I don't see any empty shelves in that area. Oh, well, maybe they have more moving around to do...

carla36301 04-23-2007 05:42 PM

Okay, I meant "lots of new stuff" not "lost". I guess I need a spellchecker on here! LOL!

SunshineMama 04-23-2007 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellestamps
I actually have never seen so many Michaels workers in one spot before.

I've actually have never seen ANY Michaels workers in our store before....except at the one register they have open. ;)

Honestly, the store in our area is notorious for having employees that are ALWAYS on break or in the bathroom. Not all that promising, considering that the great state of Vermont only has TWO Michael's in the entire state.

There can literally be 15 people in line at the one open register and you hear someone being paged over and over again and they never materialize. I'm beginning to think that only ONE PERSON works at our Michael's at any given time. ;)

skywaitress 04-23-2007 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper

OMG! this just made me laugh out loud!!!

kysmom 04-23-2007 06:03 PM

Needless to say, I am looking forward to Michael's having ANYTHING new... been the same ole' stuff for too long!!

SunshineMama 04-23-2007 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysmom
Needless to say, I am looking forward to Michael's having ANYTHING new... been the same ole' stuff for too long!!

So, I'm not the only one that's noticed that? It's very rare that I even go into their store any more because they're so outdated in their scrap and stamp sections. Not to mention never having anything in stock.

I have issues. ;)

kysmom 04-23-2007 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunshineMama
So, I'm not the only one that's noticed that? It's very rare that I even go into their store any more because they're so outdated in their scrap and stamp sections. Not to mention never having anything in stock.

I have issues. ;)

Yeah, it's frustrating... I will walk in their with hot coupons in my hands, and leave empty handed (well, I guess still holding the coupons), cause I can't find anything to buy!!

Josephsmom04 04-23-2007 06:13 PM

I going to take some into the b-room.

Do you think that they will flag it?

SunshineMama 04-23-2007 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysmom
Yeah, it's frustrating... I will walk in their with hot coupons in my hands, and leave empty handed (well, I guess still holding the coupons), cause I can't find anything to buy!!

I totally know what you mean!

I went into a Michael's in Rhode Island while visiting my parents last month and brought my dad in with me to go through the line with my second coupon. I figured that since this was a bigger store and in "the city," I would have a better chance of finding what I needed and something else that I wanted.

I neither found what I needed or what I wanted. I ended up getting a new idea book because it looked interesting (I still haven't looked through it completely yet) and got a package of chipboard letters (which I have started using because they're there).

I love that the privately owned craft store up north (30 minutes from me....that's the closest one) takes competitors coupons. I bring my Michael's and JoAnn's coupons there because I can never find anything to buy at either of those stores. Says a lot when a privately owned store is more on top of things than a big funded chain is SO behind the times and trends.

I had my sister's kids last week and I took a ride into the city and went through the line with one coupon, and sent my daughter and my niece through the line with a coupon and item each.....and STILL wished that I'd had another coupon so that I could send my nephew through. I LOVE that place. If it weren't for Creative Habitat, I'd be doing internet shopping.

now.....our JoAnn's???? Don't get me started on that place. It's a rat hole. ;)

kysmom 04-23-2007 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunshineMama
I totally know what you mean!

I went into a Michael's in Rhode Island while visiting my parents last month and brought my dad in with me to go through the line with my second coupon. I figured that since this was a bigger store and in "the city," I would have a better chance of finding what I needed and something else that I wanted.

I neither found what I needed or what I wanted. I ended up getting a new idea book because it looked interesting (I still haven't looked through it completely yet) and got a package of chipboard letters (which I have started using because they're there).

I love that the privately owned craft store up north (30 minutes from me....that's the closest one) takes competitors coupons. I bring my Michael's and JoAnn's coupons there because I can never find anything to buy at either of those stores. Says a lot when a privately owned store is more on top of things than a big funded chain is SO behind the times and trends.

I had my sister's kids last week and I took a ride into the city and went through the line with one coupon, and sent my daughter and my niece through the line with a coupon and item each.....and STILL wished that I'd had another coupon so that I could send my nephew through. I LOVE that place. If it weren't for Creative Habitat, I'd be doing internet shopping.

now.....our JoAnn's???? Don't get me started on that place. It's a rat hole. ;)

I actually like my Joann store. Other than the Cuttlebug selection, I think they have more of what I want.... I have a really wonderful privately owned scrap/stamp store near me as well, and they have all the latest products, and VERY knowledgeable staff, I just can't go in there too much cause it's so spendy!

goodlicorice 04-23-2007 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazycatstamper
*****SPEW****** WHITE COTTON GLOVES????? She'd have a CORONARY if she saw our Michael's.... on any given day at any time there is at LEAST one small child running loose in the store pulling stuff off shelves.... he he he.....

Yeah, that's my kid, but I'm usually right behind him! :rolleyes:

Wow. White cotton gloves, huh? Hmmm, we'll see how long THAT lasts!

Penascodragonfly 04-23-2007 06:30 PM

Quote:

bwhaahhhaaaaaaa. Excellent idea. Remember to cough and not breathe again, you never know how many other people did the same as you.:-D

stampincrazyjen 04-23-2007 06:32 PM

now.....our JoAnn's???? Don't get me started on that place. It's a rat hole. ;)[/QUOTE]

LOL... That's how I feel about our JoAnn's.

crafty1021 04-23-2007 06:46 PM

I just got back from our M's tonight and they have quite a bit of Martha stuff out...no white gloves in sight! Her things are very pretty and very much my style but somewhat out of my price range! I did manage to pick up some CB stuff and ribbon though...

StampinAK 04-23-2007 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgmlmax
While at the Register, I said to the cashier, I see they really getting ready for the big "Martha" debut. All the shelf backs are lined with fancy paper. The signs are all up, just no product until the big day! I didn't say it negatively because I respect the fact that some people like her. Well I could tell from her response, she is not a fan. Neither am I, I just think she is arrogant! She said a few things and then said you know what I think is funny? The people doing the merchandising need to wear "white cotton gloves" while setting the entire area! She then said what's Martha gonna do when all the customers start touching the products?!!!!! LOL!
Dina

OMGosh! I can't believe this ... I was in the Anchorage store yesterday and a group of about 4 employees including the manager said the EXACT same thing to me. And the manager even snickered!! One lady said that all of the merchandise was stacked in the back sealed until after midnight. I looked at the empty shelf and I thought the prices were a little high. I won't be going back to Mike's just for that. I was not impressed and neither are the Mike's employees from what I heard.

PS> Kind of on the same line... Mike's had CB emboss folders for $7.49 and JoAnn's had them for 4.99. What's that all about??:confused:

SouthernStorm 04-23-2007 07:15 PM

I went to my M's last Fri. There were 3 employees frantically working in the scrapbk/stamp section. Whole aisles were bare. They were moving existing product all to diff, new places. I asked one if they were gettin' ready for Martha. He said, oh yes. So, I asked when she'd get here, he said Wednesday. I asked, THIS Wednesday? He said yes. Sooo, I'll be there for the 'grand opening', lol.
I'm tellin' ya... our M's has been pathetic for yrs now. Same ole same-o!! I just walked around looking at the newly organized old stuff.. it's NOW where it all shoulda been to begin with.. all together! Not searching aisles or store sections for diff things that should be grouped together.
They were still in the process of re-doin the old stuff, so no white gloves. ;) NO, I probly won't buy any of her stuff. (probly a lot that I'll want..) but this business of excluding Martha from the coupon.. nooo, it is not good cust/owner relations, IMHO.
I thought the Cricut policy was awful. I considered it money grabbin' from M's and ProvoCraft.. especially when Wal-Mart had it for waay cheaper! I never had the desire for one, but, if I had, I'd have NEVER bought it from M's just cause of their snobby selling tactics.
I'm glad Martha is coming only because it has brought M's into the 21st century, organization-wise. I hope they put in more new stuff other than Martha. I really hate taking time out of my day hunting thru M's for something to spend my 40% coupon on. I do try tho.. maybe on a stamp pad, magazine, eyelets, etc. Last week I got the 'Take Ten' mag w/ my coupon.. luv that mag.!!!
Ya'll have a great week, Stormy

llevans 04-23-2007 07:15 PM

ROTFLMBO!!!!

Quote:

MommyToTwins 04-23-2007 07:17 PM

One of my Michaels had about 75% of the Martha Stuff out..I have to say... "it is really pretty" The boxes and bags are really adorable. The 24x24 scrapbook was HUGE... how fun would that be for a family reunion or a family tree type scrapbook??? The colors and style were so simple and classy. Even her tools and adhesive looked fancy. The whole display was pretty much gorgeous. IMO..of course

I have always liked her. I like her magazines and books, but I know she is not everyones cup of tea...I can't wait to hear all the different takes on her stuff.

Michelle

llevans 04-23-2007 07:18 PM

omg!!! reminds me of the Seinfeld eposide where George is in a bookstore and takes a book to the restroom.....the book was flagged!!;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josephsmom04
I going to take some into the b-room.

Do you think that they will flag it?