Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   So I took the plunge and went unmounted... (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/so-i-took-plunge-went-unmounted-189524/)

Jovi 10-20-2006 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hadleyzoo
So I am finished unmounting all my stamps. Well, not ALL...I decided not to do my alphabets or my word sets because I'm sick of this project! Heehee...

I can totally relate� I still haven�t tackled my CTMH wood sets. Maybe that I�ll make that a snowy winter week project! :rolleyes:

sunnysnowflake 10-20-2006 10:42 PM

subscribing

allidee 10-21-2006 05:22 AM

Quote:

I'd have to say it probably took me a total of about 40 hours to do it all. Kids are in school all day so that's what I've been working on for the last week to week and a half (in between answering the phone, cleaning bathrooms, cleaning house, etc.).

Tiffany

Thanks!

sunnysnowflake 10-29-2006 10:21 AM

I am going through my music CD cases and will use those to store my TAC stamps for now.
But I noticed when I take the insert out there is a hole on the front. IS that normal?
I think I will put a piece of cardstock firmly on the front or acetate w/ an index and then the little pieces won't fall out.
Any other thoughts on that?

mom of Marine 10-29-2006 10:38 AM

I went unmounted this summer. I'm a very visual person so I took my image sticker off the wood handle and put it on the foam. It was usually sticky enough. If not a little crystaf effects worked. Unfortunately I did a few sets using tack it over and over to stick the stamp to the mount. A few times the stamps fell off and the sticky side landed on the card I was working on.Not a happy camper or stamper!! Then I got some vinyl cling and used crystal effects to glue the stamp on the vinyl cling. So now I have four layers: rubber, foam, clear image sticker you would usually put on the top of the wood mount, and the vinyl cling. Works great and I can see what stamp I'm using and where I'm putting it because of the clear acrylic mounts. So now I'm a happy stamper!!

angelanne21 10-29-2006 11:34 AM

I have a question: what do you do with the wood blocks? I would love to go unmounted, but I can't see wasting the blocks. Any ideas?

sunnysnowflake 10-29-2006 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelanne21
I have a question: what do you do with the wood blocks? I would love to go unmounted, but I can't see wasting the blocks. Any ideas?

I am working on just TAC stamps right now but I have a few old sad sets from SU that I will do next.

My plan is to save any SU sets that I unmount for resale. I will put them in the attic in the mean time and put back together if I want to sell on Ebay or wherever.

Some people give the blocks to their kids or grandkids to play with. My son loved to play with wood blocks when he was little so I thought that was a great idea.

robynstamps 10-29-2006 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelanne21

We built a summer home with all the wood blocks I had after I unmounted all of mine. :-D Just kidding. Most of my blocks were left sticky with the old foam still attached that I just chucked them. They were not reusable and it would have taken so much work to make them so.

Robyn

Hahni 10-29-2006 01:36 PM

Unmounting is the best decision I ever made regarding stamping. I am finding used unmounted sets to sell well. In fact, I notice that people are beginning to ask you to unmount to send to save postage. I think this is a revolution!! :)

beequiltin 10-29-2006 01:36 PM

I am just now reading all of this with a great deal of interest (especially the storage space concept)! I would like to know though, how is the best way to remove the mounted stamps from the wood blocks? I have a lot of stamps that would need to be done!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks, Jan

hadleyzoo 10-29-2006 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beequiltin
I am just now reading all of this with a great deal of interest (especially the storage space concept)! I would like to know though, how is the best way to remove the mounted stamps from the wood blocks? I have a lot of stamps that would need to be done!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks, Jan

Pop 'em in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds to "soften" the glue. Be careful because the blocks will be hot...then just pull from the wood block to separate.

By the way, I have finally started my Christmas cards and am using a couple of my newly-unmounted stamp sets....and...I LOVE IT! I can see where I'm stamping, and that's the best part.

Tiffany

stamp2stamp2 10-29-2006 07:33 PM

I use UNDO to remove stamps from wooden blocks. It does a great job of loosening the stamp from the block and fromt the foam. You can find it at places like Michaels and Joannes.

rita

beequiltin 10-30-2006 04:30 AM

Thanks Tiffany & Rita, I will give these methods a try! Can't wait to see how much space I save and be able to see where I am stamping. Thanks to all of you who have given the pros and cons to this.
Happy Stamping!
jan

notime2stamp 10-30-2006 06:03 AM

with foam vs w/out foam

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamp2stamp2
I use UNDO to remove stamps from wooden blocks. It does a great job of loosening the stamp from the block and fromt the foam. You can find it at places like Michaels and Joannes.

rita

I am going to unmount my stamps using Aileens TIOAO. I've done a few and it seems to work for me. Is it absolutely necessary to have the rubber & foam? Can you just unmount the rubber part? The ones that I have done seem to work OK without foam. Just curious what the difference is.

Thanks!
Amy

stamp2stamp2 10-30-2006 08:09 AM

You're going to want to remove the rubber part from the foam. Then use new foam to mount again if you go that route. Some people use double stick tape to adhere the rubber stamp (without the foam) to the acrylic block. I've never tried that but the threads I've seen seem to say that it is a viable alternative.

rita

hadleyzoo 10-30-2006 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notime2stamp
I am going to unmount my stamps using Aileens TIOAO. I've done a few and it seems to work for me. Is it absolutely necessary to have the rubber & foam? Can you just unmount the rubber part? The ones that I have done seem to work OK without foam. Just curious what the difference is.

Thanks!
Amy

I've actually read that there is someone on here (I've read her posts in another thread regarding unmounting) and she uses her stamps without the foam. She says it works fine for her.

And I had asked another thread the other day, why is it the wheels don't have foam and work fine? So why have foam on the stamps? The consensus was that the wood blocks sometimes have imperfections and the foam helps to "even" it out; also that the foam gives you a little extra "space" what stamping to see where you're stamping (you know if you get eye-level with your project). But I don't see why you would even need the foam if you're using acrylic blocks (no imperfections and you can see through them so you can see where you're stamping)...Just my opinion.

Tiffany

robynstamps 10-30-2006 07:14 PM

I just like the feel of the foam cushion when I am stamping with my unmounted. I could never use my rubber nekked!!

Robyn

stamper jan 10-30-2006 07:34 PM

unmounting

im so happy unmounting mine,

i just started unmounting su, the retired i store in baggies,
i only store the current ones in cd cases, i love all my stamps, my husband keeps complained about my piles, but slowly it is all coming together, now i have all my christmas unmounted together in a plastic bin, and i do a notebook to see the stamps, i have which cuts ddown on doubles, ive always liked the wood, but love the new system better, and i will have all the non current done soon, i code them like a1, su1, i put five sets together, in each baggie, and in the notebook i put which bag they are in, no more searching thru 6 closets to fine that one set, or the color, this way i can buy more and hubby will never know, ive been stamping for 20 yrs, love it,

proud to be a Tac demo
angel 1549
jan

sunnysnowflake 10-30-2006 09:07 PM

So what do ya'll do with sets that are too big for the Jewel CD cases?

inkymommy 10-31-2006 04:33 AM

So far, all my SU fit in CD cases. Some sets take two cases, though. In my TAC set, Ribbon Words, the ribbon doesn't fit so I'm trying to figure out what to do with that mongo-huge ribbon. I didn't like the binder storage at all. Angels: Any suggestions?

hadleyzoo 11-01-2006 04:06 PM

I've heard some people use the DVD cases. I don't know how that would work with that little circle in the middle you can't remove like the CD cases. Unless you can find some without???

Tiffany

fargets 02-10-2007 04:40 PM

I found most stamps are unmounted from the block easily. If they are giving you trouble, toss the stamp in the microwave for a few seconds (5-10 sec). It warms the glue. I only had to do this for one stamp. I'm not as brave as the above members. I only did a few steps. I'm afraid I'm going to regret going unmounted. I like the feel of the wood. I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Scoobydoostamp 02-10-2007 05:12 PM

Help with stamps ready to be wood mounted

Hi,

This is my first post and I found the subject of cling mount vs. wood mount.

Does anyone know how I can remove the sticky backing off an unmounted rubber stamp so that I can replace it with cling sheets? Or is there a way to minimize the stickiness so I can use them with the acrylic blocks?

Many years ago I bought many sheets of stamps (hundreds) and was quite keen and mounted them onto the sticky backing thinking that I would buy the wood and make the mounts myself..... well it has been over 4 years and they are still sitting in the exact same spot. I have purchased a few pieces of wood but now I realize how much work this is going to be to measure, cut, and sand the pieces of wood, stamp the image on the top, and finally stick the image in the correct spot.

Thank you.

Mahloumel 02-10-2007 05:23 PM

You can do a few things with your stamps that have been mounted onto foam that is permanently sticky on both sides:

1) Sunday International has just come out with some very thin EZ mount foam that is sticky on one side and clingy on the other. It is made specifically for stampers who have rubber on permanently sticky foam to be able to easily mount their stamps onto EZ Mount without having to peel the rubber off the permanently sticky foam. http://www.sundayint.com/

2) Stick the foam onto sheets of vinyl cling (like what window clings are made from) -- doesn't work very well with smaller stamps, but I'm very happy with it on all other sizes.

3) peel the backing off the permanently adhesive foam on your stamps and stick it on and off your jeans, shirt, back of hand, etc several times to decrease the tack, and you will be able to peel the stamp off your mount easily after using it.

4) apply a thin coat of Alene's tack it over and over (NOT tacky glue) over the permanently sticky side of the stamps and then let it dry. This creates a removable adhesive.

Personally I would consider going with option 1, tho it is also the most expensive of the options.

wendalyn 02-10-2007 05:31 PM

I probably should do that because i have 200+ sets but i seem to use my mounted more than UM stamps

sammamishcert 02-10-2007 05:48 PM

Great job! I UM all of my misc. stamps, but not my SU stamps. I just love my SU stamps, I'm afraid I may miss the old system.

hadleyzoo 02-10-2007 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammamishcert
I'm afraid I may miss the old system.

I don't miss it one bit. I've been using my unmounted for several months now and LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! When I get new stamps, the rubber is immediately remounted on EZ mount.

And...I order two of the alphabet wheels that's in the current mini catalog. I removed one from the wheel (I ordered two because I still wanted to keep one on the wheel), used an exacto to cut the letters out, mounted them on EZ Mount...and voila! I have a complete alphabet set for a lot less than what the alphabets normally cost.

Tiffany

housefan 02-10-2007 08:09 PM

I worried about missing it too, but once you make the adjustment I will bet you won't look back. It was the best move I have made since getting into stamping.

stamp2stamp2 02-10-2007 08:55 PM

Another option for removing cushion from mounted stamps is UNDO. You can should be able to find it at most craft stores like Michales and Joanns. It is an adhesive remover and works really well.

rita

Katie018075 02-10-2007 09:00 PM

Wow Robyn, I'm just wondering how many stamp sets you must have to fill all those CD cases....(jealous pout)...

Quote:

Originally Posted by robynstamps
The ones at Walmart do not have a black insert in the middle they are clear but they can be removed. If you have a Big Lots in your area they are only $2.49 for a pack of 10. I bought out all of them from our stores and I don't think they are going to carry them anymore. Also, be sure you do not get the "slim" cases but the regular jewel cases. I found also that Staples has the cheapest deal in bulk. You can get a pack of 24 for around $8.99. I bought all of theirs, too. Today I had to get the last 6 packs of 10 from Walmart and I also bought all of theirs, but I will be DONE with these!!!

Robyn

crazy-crafter 02-11-2007 01:22 PM

Quote:

I've heard some people use the DVD cases. I don't know how that would work with that little circle in the middle you can't remove like the CD cases. Unless you can find some without???

Here is a link for the DVD cases. http://www.sleevetown.com/super-jewel-boxes.shtml I haven't purchased any yet, (on my to do list). They are the Super Jewel Box King DVD Cases. I THINK they have the pop out insert like the CD cases.

finers4 02-11-2007 02:49 PM

this is so interesting i will have to give it a go .I have emailed the sunday place and asked if they will ship to me in nz so fingers crossed they will .

realfunny 02-11-2007 03:09 PM

ez mount

what is ez mount and where do you get it?:rolleyes:

housefan 02-11-2007 03:28 PM

It is foam that has cling on one side and sticky on the other. You put the bare rubber back to the sticky side and then you have the cling on the other so you can use acrylic blocks instead of wood. Cornish Heritage is the best buy I have found. $3.50 a sheet and free shipping over $25.

realfunny 02-11-2007 03:32 PM

thanks

stamp2stamp2 02-11-2007 05:25 PM

The Angel Company carries Creative Cling for its unmounted stamps - its just like EZ Mount

rita

debilu 02-11-2007 06:38 PM

I've always had trouble lining up the wooden stamps, and have been mounting on cling/acrylic and love how easy it is, how much less space it takes up, and being able to see exactly where I am stamping. I purchased all the foam/cling at The Stampin Place on line. You can mount many stamps with just 1 8x11 sheet. I just don't know what to do with all the wood blocks, it doesn't feel right to throw them away.

AlisonMC 02-14-2007 07:34 AM

I am a TAC demo (hobbyist) - but I've been a SU customer for years. I haven't un-mounted my SU stamps yet - really just due to time. I must say I LOVE my un-mounted TAC sets with the acrylic blocks. You see exactly where you are stamping - no need for the stamp-a-ma-jig - and you can always re-trim if needed.

I get my CD cases from Staples.com - I buy in bulk when I have coupons for Staples. (Also, when you return your used cartridges- you get $3 coupons that you can use online. Item # 390178 and they are $8.98 for a pack of 24. By the time I use coupons, I�m not spending much money at all)

As for labeling � I have a label maker that I use on the spine of the CD case, and for the inside, I put all the stamps of the set onto the acrylic that is the SAME SIZE as the CD insert (which I just cut out of white cardstock) and stamp with black ink. Super fast, super easy.

Storing my CD cases � I use a CD rack that I can actually flip through, and see the images on the index I create. I don�t like just seeing the names of the sets (like if you put them in a slotted CD tower), I really need to see images.

My favorite thing about un-mounted stamps is the alphabet stamp sets. You can stamp something like �Happy Birthday� by lining up the letters on the acrylic and just stamping once � such a time saver!

card_drazy 02-14-2007 07:53 AM

GRAFIX CLING just doesn't work as nice. I hated it. I ended up using ez mount. don't waste your money on the grafix cling

Thorvall 02-14-2007 08:44 AM

I've been unmounting some of my stamps and I use the TIOAO and it works pretty good. I do stamp on top of my mouse pad so that it gives alittle and leaves a nice impression. I've been storing mine in a shoe box, I need to get a cd rack for my desk.