Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-09-2010, 04:51 PM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So frustrating...

I swear I spend more time trying to match cardstock to patterned papers than making the actual card itself! I know there are matchy matchy companies like SU and PTI that make it easy, but I love using Basic Grey and Cosmo Cricket papers the most. I have tons of colors of cardstock, Bazzill, Core'dinations, Prism, all PTI and a few others but NEVER seem to be able to find a good match. Cosmo Cricket is especially difficult, I don't know why! I really wish they would provide matching cardstock info for their collections. Right now I'm so frustrated I've given up on the card I'm working on because I don't have the right color to match. Thanks for letting me vent.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2010, 05:04 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Basic Grey and Cosmo all the time and between SU, TAC and Bazzill I have never had a hard time getting a color to match?

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2010, 05:10 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Kathy, you are so incredibly talented, it's hard for me to imagine you struggling with anything related to cardmaking!!

I'll try to "pull" one of the colors from a patterned paper for my cardstock, or look for something with a strong contrast.

Basic Grey is my favorite patterned paper & they have the solid distressed pages in the back of the 6 x 6 that is sometimes my "substitute" for a mat to match the DP & also go with the cardstock base. Or use a neutral to mat with.

I guess it's easier to be a "go with" person than a "matching" person .

Sorry to hear you are frustrated -- but it's probably your high standards that make your creations something many other cardmakers aspire to. Hope that's of some comfort anyway ~ maybe things will fall into place for you tomorrow!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2010, 05:11 PM   #4  
Inking Addict

Katrina,

I am new, and I work with only SU because that was what I was 1st exposed to... and I am having a hard time getting the DSP and card stock to look nice and match as well. I really feel your pain.I am thinking about not using the DSP for cards, and just use it for scrapbooking, unless my demo lady can tell me what to use...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2010, 05:21 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Well I can help you with that at least! There's a list somewhere here that gives you all the matching SU colors to go with the DSP's.
Forums at Splitcoaststampers

Nancy, you're so sweet, but I don't think I have higher standards than most people. It must be I just don't have enough cardstock!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennmoore3View Post
Katrina,

I am new, and I work with only SU because that was what I was 1st exposed to... and I am having a hard time getting the DSP and card stock to look nice and match as well. I really feel your pain.I am thinking about not using the DSP for cards, and just use it for scrapbooking, unless my demo lady can tell me what to use...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2010, 05:43 PM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 332 Likes on 129 Posts

I use Cosmo Cricket all the time in scrapbooks and it's pretty easy to match. I've not had good luck with Basic Grey and I think it's because some of their patterns have too many colors going on. Can't go wrong with SU!, either.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2010, 05:45 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

LOL!! I think I may have lower standards! Or expectations .

I *have* been down that nothing-seems-to-be-working road & it's awful. Inspiration will strike though - maybe take you in a different direction. You never know!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2010, 05:55 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a whole cupboard full of cardstock and patterned paper from just about every company and I can't get ANYTHING to match. Even SU stuff looks terrible together to me. I usually end up designing my own paper and colours, then print it out. At least that way I know the colours are the same hue and tone even if they don't really look that great. I think I need to buy a colour wheel AND get my eyes checked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2010, 06:04 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatarinaMView Post
Well I can help you with that at least! There's a list somewhere here that gives you all the matching SU colors to go with the DSP's.
Forums at Splitcoaststampers

Nancy, you're so sweet, but I don't think I have higher standards than most people. It must be I just don't have enough cardstock!
Such a helpful list! Thank you so much! Now if only SU would list the coordinating colors on the package of DSP, so I don't have to try to remember what is matches each time I use it. I'm going to use this chart now to write on the outside of my DSP packages which colors it coordinates with...this will save me a lot of work!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2010, 06:08 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

SU list the colors that match right under the DP in the catalog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2010, 06:15 PM   #11  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlowersandHeartsView Post
Such a helpful list! Thank you so much! Now if only SU would list the coordinating colors on the package of DSP, so I don't have to try to remember what is matches each time I use it. I'm going to use this chart now to write on the outside of my DSP packages which colors it coordinates with...this will save me a lot of work!
I store my paper in 12x12 folders, so I put a sticky note inside the folder or on the white backing sheet with the matching CS colors. That way I always have the info.

As for matching with Basic Grey and Cosmo(2 of my fav's!) I end up using a white or cream cardstock more often than not- just to make it easier on myself.

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2010, 06:40 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

I struggled too when I first started stamping, but I sort of learned some tricks. One, I start with the DP and then pick my solids. Two, if the DP has a very dominant color, then I probably won't try to use that in my solids. By "pulling" an accent color as mentioned by Phantom, non-matches are not so noticeable. Three, neutrals can be your best friend. Hope this helps you out a little. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2010, 07:08 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem as I was tending to buy just random brands paper (really anthing that i liked lol) What I found easier is keeping kinda a tag book with a small piece of the DSP and when I found a match for it I would write it on the back of it so next time there was no looking! It may not work for you but thought I would suggest it.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2010, 07:28 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

There are lists of matching colors for Basic grey with Bazzill, either on Bazzill or Basic Grey's website, at least there used to be. Some other companies are following and are doing the same thing.
However, I will say I don't think the colors really have to matchy match, dont worry to much about it. I simply do as Carrie said, pick the DP I want to use first, then go to my Bazill, I have about 6 shades of each color and use the ones that match the closest. Try to pick the paper in the same shade. For example don't choose a bright blue to go with a muted blue DP. Brights for brights, muted for muted or vintage paper, pastels for pastels and on and on. But take a look at some of your favorite cards I bet you will find they are not perfect matches.

HERE is a list I found for Basic Grey and Bazzill

Also here is an older post that matches Bazzill to a lot of different companies, older lines

HOpe this helps you a little!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2010, 07:31 PM   #15  
Mad Swapper

I love the fact that Kaiser Kraft papers list the matching Bazzill colors right on the paper!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2010, 08:17 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Cosmo, Jillibean Soup, & Jenni Bowlin just partnered with Core-dinations to have cardstock made in their most used colors. I got some of the Cosmo...LOVE IT!
http://www.coredinations.com/index.p...sed-cardstock/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2010, 08:22 PM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

This made me curious so I just went to Bazzill's web site and they have a list of coordinating Bazzill solid paper that will go with quite a few different companies DP. You find the company name of the DP you have ( for instance Basic Grey ); click on it and it will come up with thumbnails of the DP and underneath all their suggestions for solid colors to go with it!

Of course, this won't have EVERY line of DP ever made by that company, I imagine it's only what is currently selling so if you have some older designs it might not help.

Check it out! It's really cool...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2010, 11:14 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

I was thinking to myself "I never have this problem, lucky me!"
Then I looked at my flikr gallery of my most recent 50 or so cards and I either don't mat them, or they are matted in black or some other neutral and I was like "Oh yah, that's why I don't have this problem!!" But I did notice that when I DO do layers, I pick colours that "go" and not "match."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2010, 02:50 AM   #19  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

subbing

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2010, 04:38 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

What's wrong with close enough or looks nice together? Everything in the world is not matchy-matchy. I wear colors and patterns that go together, but certainly aren't exact matches.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2010, 05:31 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Thumbs up so organized

this is a great site for matching, glad you mentioned it:
http://bazzillbasics.com/matchmaker/#basicgre
you left click onto one of the papers listed and it brings up the co-ordinating designer paper and bazzill cardstock
for example: in the basic gray wisteria, they have blue designer papers but no one blue solid color cardstock, but other colors that go with the paper, not matchy tones

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobbyView Post
This made me curious so I just went to Bazzill's web site and they have a list of coordinating Bazzill solid paper that will go with quite a few different companies DP. You find the company name of the DP you have ( for instance Basic Grey ); click on it and it will come up with thumbnails of the DP and underneath all their suggestions for solid colors to go with it!

Of course, this won't have EVERY line of DP ever made by that company, I imagine it's only what is currently selling so if you have some older designs it might not help.

Check it out! It's really cool...

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"

Last edited by stampencamper; 07-10-2010 at 05:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2010, 05:34 AM   #22  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by steubnerView Post
Cosmo, Jillibean Soup, & Jenni Bowlin just partnered with Core-dinations to have cardstock made in their most used colors. I got some of the Cosmo...LOVE IT!
http://www.coredinations.com/index.p...sed-cardstock/
I've got the Jillibean Soup ones. I really like them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2010, 06:46 AM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

When in doubt I use SU or PTI Kraft. Mish uses it all the time and her cards are always AWESOME.
Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved. Acts 4:12
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2010, 07:02 AM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

I love Cosmo Cricket also. Also October Afternoon. SU seems to go with these okay for me too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2010, 07:04 AM   #25  
Forum Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm not a matchy-match kind of stamper. Even though I'm a hobby demo I use a lot of different companies papers and once in awhile there will be a color where nothing seems to match (ex. orange-red, lavendar that could be blue, etc.). When this happens I go for a neutral color.

One thing that helps me is that I store my DSP by colors not companies. All my solid pinks are together and all my pink patterns are together. When I'm looking for a non-clashing color I can easily sift through and find something that will work.

I have to remind myself to flip the paper over. I have a tendancy to forget about that sometimes the solid color on the back. One last item of note is that if I find a great new paper I just can't live without, I buy a matching solid color sheet at the same time. I've even bypassed paper when I figure the color is so off that I won't find anything to go with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2010, 08:33 AM   #26  
Mad Swapper

Arg! I share the same frustration...and don't even get me started on trying to match ribbon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2010, 09:22 AM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtgchicView Post
Arg! I share the same frustration...and don't even get me started on trying to match ribbon!
With ribbon if I don't have a color that goes well that is in the same family as the DP then I just use white, off white, beige or black. But usually the DP has several colors in it and I can find some ribbon that goes nicely with one of those colors.
I really think if the DP, cardstock and ribbon all really match well then you just have a monochromatic card, which is nice once in awhile but not a look I am always going for.
Also consider getting a color wheel, I think sometimes contrasting colors, complimentary colors etc look really good as well. I am not good at matching those combinations but when I see someone's a project like that it is usually the one that makes me say "ahhhhhhhh... I wish I could do that"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2010, 06:30 AM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by michellesscrapView Post
...Also consider getting a color wheel, I think sometimes contrasting colors, complimentary colors etc look really good as well...
I don't have a colour wheel, but I use a computer program that has a colour wheel built into it when I'm designing papers to generate colour schemes. I made a card for my husband and used night of navy, kiwi kiss, and elegant eggplant. I didn't know why, but these colours looked good together. then when I was playing with the program's colour wheel this combination came up - it seems that they are complimentary triads. Who knew... So, a colour wheel will give you some unexpected, but very nice, colour combinations.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2010, 08:10 AM   #29  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Matching colors

I don't always try to match, but look at colors I think work well or that please my eye. I recenly discovered that Basic Grey's Green at Heart and Indian Summer lines work quite well with last year's SU In-Colors. Give that a try, for starters. Also, Hobby Lobby has some gingham check-type papers that also go nicely with those colors. I take color swatches with me sometimes and find that helpful when shopping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2010, 11:37 PM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have the same problem too. I have a ton of paper packs (yes, I'm a paper hoarder) but I have trouble mixing & matching my colors. Maybe that's my problem...I have too much stuff to choose from & it's sometimes overwhelming. hmm.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2010, 11:17 AM   #31  
Mad Swapper

Ok, here's another matchy-matchy question that always gets me stumped...what neutral color paper do you use for vintage-y patterned papers (I'm mostly thinking about October Afternoon and their creamy-yellowy color they used a lot in the last two paper packs). White is too WHITE, but my creams/ivories (SU, PTI, Gina K) don't seem to work either, nor do any yellows.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2010, 02:28 PM   #32  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtgchicView Post
Ok, here's another matchy-matchy question that always gets me stumped...what neutral color paper do you use for vintage-y patterned papers (I'm mostly thinking about October Afternoon and their creamy-yellowy color they used a lot in the last two paper packs). White is too WHITE, but my creams/ivories (SU, PTI, Gina K) don't seem to work either, nor do any yellows.
Have you tried PTI's Rustic White or SU's Naturals White? They have a warmer tone to them than white. I like them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2010, 04:30 PM   #33  
Linking Queen

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not familiar with the paper you've specifically mentioned but lots of time I will change the color of the card base (usually I use vanilla but sometimes white) by stippling/sponging/brayering (depends on the look I want) with inks that match the paper. It's sometimes easier to amtch inks than cardstocks.

Hope this provides another option.

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes