Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-26-2004, 11:08 AM   #1  
Kar
Glitter Guru

Default SNAIL adhesive

Has anyone got one of these yet? The stampin up logo is going to be on the part that you throw away right? So if a demo are you going to have to buy those $4.25 refills or say heck with that and save money there so can buy more stamps?? That would be my answer but wondering what you all were doing about that. I need to know these things before I sign that line.. when hubby quits rolling his eyes everytime I mention it..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-26-2004, 11:10 AM   #2  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Kar - I am almost positive I heard them say at Convention that we'll still be able to use the Mono adhesive refills with the snail. I tried to order it with my first order, too, forgetting they aren't available until September or something. I bet the first person to get one will post here and give the scoop!!
Old 07-26-2004, 11:13 AM   #3  
Forum Fanatic

I've heard that it will be on the black. Who knows though. No one at DS knows what it looks like. Hopefully it will be on the black.

And isn't it funny.....SU goes to all black their punches and their mono yet the catalogs in grey. I think the irony of it all is funny.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:42 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks for asking this question. I have been pondering upon that myself.
Especially since I just found (through this site, Thank you sooo much )the refills at a very inexpensive price.
I don't know how to word this so please don't take it wrong and I love SU stuff, but I have a hard time with the accessories and extra's having to buy it through them when all the other craft stores carries all of the same stuff. That is the hardest part I am dealing with right now. I love that SU has all the c/s/inks/markers etc to all coordinate and would like my money go to that and to all the great stamps. It is hard to build up the stamps whenI have to get everything else to demo or whatever with having to have their logo on it.
Ok not sure if I am making sense and I am not at all whining about it, just would rather buy more stamps and coordinating inks/paper/etc...
Old 07-26-2004, 11:45 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

I have a call into demo support - they didn't know - I told them that someone there should know and nicely asked them to find that person. they are suppose to call me back - I'll post as soon as they call me back!

tata for now!
If you want to leave a great impression - stamp the card yourself!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2004, 11:51 AM   #6  
SCS Moderator

Furph's wife-I am a demo and although I use SU products to demo, I also let my customers know when something is cheaper at the craft store-and suggest they use their coupons to get a discount-especially if we sell the same thing like a crimper or paper trimmer.

That said, in my craft store you are lucky to find mono, and even luckier to get a refill. My specialty sb store charges more than we do for mono as well as a Versamark pads, and their chalks are $15 but you only get 24 colors. I will sell to my regular customers a mono refill at a special discount price as I buy in bulk from Viking. Some of the "same stuff" isn't the same quality-even some of the eyelets out there are not as good as SU's, adn I have both and used both before I became a demo-not jyst towing the company line.

Being a good demo means not only that you like the products you sell (or okay, in my case I'm obsessed with them a bit), but also that you put your customers first-that's how you get them to stay your customers (and friends!!)

You're not whining about it at all-it's a totally valid question (imho ) and something I was worried about as well.

Old 07-26-2004, 11:55 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by camsmom
Furph's wife-I am a demo and although I use SU products to demo, I also let my customers know when something is cheaper at the craft store-and suggest they use their coupons to get a discount-especially if we sell the same thing like a crimper or paper trimmer.

That said, in my craft store you are lucky to find mono, and even luckier to get a refill. My specialty sb store charges more than we do for mono as well as a Versamark pads, and their chalks are $15 but you only get 24 colors. I will sell to my regular customers a mono refill at a special discount price as I buy in bulk from Viking. Some of the "same stuff" isn't the same quality-even some of the eyelets out there are not as good as SU's, adn I have both and used both before I became a demo-not jyst towing the company line.

Being a good demo means not only that you like the products you sell (or okay, in my case I'm obsessed with them a bit), but also that you put your customers first-that's how you get them to stay your customers (and friends!!)

You're not whining about it at all-it's a totally valid question (imho ) and something I was worried about as well.
Thank you camsmom! It is all about balance! And yes you are right about it being better quality too. I do love practically everything that SU offers, just want it all like everyone else and of course for less price!
Old 07-26-2004, 01:28 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Just talked with demo support - the logo is only on the refil portion of the snail adhesive - just like the tombo name is only on the refil portion - guess I won't be using Snail!

If you want to leave a great impression - stamp the card yourself!
Old 07-26-2004, 01:31 PM   #9  
Glitter Queen

You know, I thought about this before I signed up too. The things I was most concerned with were things like adhesive and punches, and to be honest, not counting coupons, they are just about the same price as if I went to Michael's or Hobby lobby. I used hermafix glue and if the SNAIL is anything like that $4 something for a refill is right on target. But I have no idea.
Old 07-26-2004, 01:53 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

If the picture in the catalog is giving an accurate representation, then the SU logo is on the clear part that you throw away. That being said, I have approx 65 mono refills with the Tombow logo on them. I will continue to use them until they are gone. I will just let my customers know that they are the same as in this year's catalog...just purchased last year.

When SU changed the large square punch last year I ordered one. They did not ship me tbe black one with the SU logo on it. I received the gray one. Same exact punch, just a different color. I am not buying a new one just to have it be black. I can live with it and so can my customers.

Monica
Old 07-26-2004, 02:44 PM   #11  
Kar
Glitter Guru

I feel that if I could save my customers some extra $$ on tapes, glues,etc I would. I would rather spend my money on stamps, inks, paper.. did I say stamps?? But that is just my opinion, but I am not a demo either.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:50 PM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

Just to mention, that it is against SU policy to sell the mono you get from Viking to your customers. I am not the stamping police, but there are plenty who are, so be careful when posting stuff like that.
Old 07-26-2004, 03:03 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Default Me too

I am right along with most of you demos. I am a demo and feel it is my ethical duty to let customers know if the hobby store has something on sale that is the same quality... and to use coupons for expensive things. I love SU because of the quality of stamps, paper, and ink - and because of the color coordinating. It takes out so much guesswork, and looks so classy to have that consistency. However, some products SU sells are also sold at the local hobby stores, so what is the difference? Either SU buys them for us and we pay shipping and tax, or we buy them and pay tax... and use a coupon!!! I am not wealthy. Money matters.
hugs to you all!!!
Old 07-26-2004, 05:01 PM   #14  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by srogers5
Just to mention, that it is against SU policy to sell the mono you get from Viking to your customers. I am not the stamping police, but there are plenty who are, so be careful when posting stuff like that.
First, I didn't see anyone say they were going to sell their mono they bought from Viking to their customers. Second, this would be a matter of interpretation of the Stampin Up rules. By definition we can only not sell current SU merchandise WE purchase from SU. If you order from Viking and offer to add your customers' order on at no additional charge to the Viking price, you are not in violation of SU policy as you are not selling SU merchandise. Anyone can buy from Viking, you don't have to own a business. If you pool a bunch of people in order to get free shipping, you've done nothing wrong by SU guidelines. Furthermore, as SU is technically not offering Mono Adhesive refills, but rather SNAIL adhesive and refill, you would be further clear to sell the mono from Viking. What would be wrong is to take an order for SU adhesive and then buy from Viking and pocket the profit. That would be wrong. But if your customers know you and want to order with you from Viking, you are not in violation of SU policy. It's all a matter of being up front with your customers. After all, it's about service as much as it's about the SU product.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:15 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

So does anyone know if Viking is still offering the $1.88 refills? I went on their site today but the price was like $3 something. Just curious.

Melissa
Old 07-26-2004, 07:11 PM   #16  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

You simply need the correct code for this month which is:

CL7-62202

Go to the search box, put that in and it will pull it up.

Now this is my opinion, which is mine (much like the lady on Monty Python with her dinosaur theory, but this only reveals what a geek I really am, so maybe I should shut up about that ):

Most of your customers probably already know where to get their mono adhesive cheaper. I don't have too many people ordering mono from me, honestly. And I've never told them where to get it cheaper. If they ask me where I buy mine, I will gladly tell them. Otherwise, they are big girls and can take care of themselves. Viking OP is not going to teach them how to use their adhesive, like I will. And most people are not going to order 14 refills at a time to get the free shipping. They only want a couple of refills and they would end up paying more for shipping than they would for the refills.

A lot of the stuff in the catalog is in there for one simple reason: people in rural areas without access to the large craft stores those of us in major metropolitan areas enjoy NEED this stuff in there. For a lot of them, this is the only way they can get some of these supplies. So SU! puts a lot of these accessories and supplies in there for them.

Now, I've been buying from Viking OP for the past year. But, on the other hand, I was slightly short this year when it came to the 20K award. Maybe if I'd been buying my mono from me I would have gotten there.

So you have to ask yourself, do you have a sales goal? Wouldn't it make sense to buy the adhesive from yourself in order to get you there? If you don't have a sales goal and aren't interested in making it to the cruise (which is my goal this year), then it wouldn't really matter where you ordered your adhesive from. But if higher sales is one of your goals this year, you might want to rethink buying from Viking OP. I just placed my last order from them and the next time, I'll be ordering the SNAIL.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Old 07-26-2004, 07:20 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Default viking's price

I just ordered 50 of the mono refills from viking at 1.88 each......you have to call them to get that price....it's not listed online .
Old 07-26-2004, 07:22 PM   #18  
SCS Moderator

Actually Kymbers-srogers5 was correct-I did post and say I sold the Viking mono to some of my customers. And she was right in her warning to me.

It was not a case where I saved it up and let them order it from me on an SU order and then kept the profits, it was people that I worked with who would buy like 5 or 6 at a time and I told them about the sale and bought it, then they paid me. It was never on an SU order form or anything like that. Thanks for the heads up and you are right sroger5, I should have been more careful in posting, especially being unclear. I would never violate SU rules, and had not thought about it possibly being misconstrued.

JanTink you also make some really great points-thanks for bringing that up as well!

Old 07-26-2004, 07:42 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInk
You simply need the correct code for this month which is:

CL7-62202

i know the codes for the discount changes all the time, but how do you find out what the current code is?
Old 07-26-2004, 07:54 PM   #20  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

THere's almost always someone on one list or another that I'm on that will have the current code. This time I got it off the SUDSOL list. I've also found it on the Viking site: sometimes when you pull up the home screen, they will have a box marked "Your private sale" If you click on it, sometimes you'll find the mono on sale there.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Old 07-26-2004, 08:51 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

thanks jan, i'll look for that private sale thing next time, or else i will come ask YOU! i have only ordered from them once, maybe that's not enough for them to give me the special code ha!
Old 07-27-2004, 06:54 AM   #22  
Kookie Creator

Oh yeah, back to the adhesive! I want to know too where to get this lower priced mono refill. My mother is a mono pig and keeps using up all of mine!!! I get Viking catalogs... is that where??? If I can find this 1.88 refill, I can support her habit!
Old 07-27-2004, 06:59 AM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Oops, I didn't see the rest of the comments... I spoke too soon. I will check out Viking... Of course I love reading everyone's opinions (Monty Python's too) and these are all good things to keep in mind. Thank you, fellow stamp addicts!
Old 07-27-2004, 07:24 AM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Viking website

Could I please have the website for Viking!!
Old 07-27-2004, 07:40 AM   #25  
Forum Fanatic

http://www.viking.com
Old 07-27-2004, 07:40 AM   #26  
Kookie Creator

I entered viking.com and it worked - My order will come today!
Old 07-27-2004, 07:59 AM   #27  
Mad Swapper

Hi!
Yes, there is a special!
I just got my shipment yesterday.
Use this thread to read all about it!

http://splitcoaststampers.com/forums...?p=35137#35137

Michelle
PS Don't forget the five cent pads!
Great for back to school
Old 07-27-2004, 07:05 PM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

I have to apologize, someone emailed me from here about where to get the Mono, before I realized I had deleted the email. I am sooo sorry I didn't want whoever it is to think I was ignoring them. I have to check my hotmail junk box better. I am soo sorry. I hope you found your answer here.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:32 AM   #29  
Forum Fanatic

I'm sorry, but I have to say VIKING IS AWESOME. I placed my order Monday around 5:00pm and the box was here yesterday. Oh, FedEx screwed up and delivered it downstairs instead of up to me, but the box was here. When you are in a pinch, SU just can't come through like that, even with expedited shipping. And my daughter has her school supplies too. Very cool!
Old 07-28-2004, 05:41 AM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

I had to change my customers mono after the last catalog came out because Tombo changed their refill cartridge. My customers had to buy the new mono so the refills would fit the new holder. Now, again with a new catalog, am I going to ask them to change their mono again? Are they going to wonder what they will have to replace when a new catty comes out. I'd rather them get excited about all the great "new" products!
Old 07-28-2004, 05:48 AM   #31  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

I just got my order from Viking last week and they still gave me the old style mono with the old style refills. I know my SIL ordered from them and she got the new style. Hmmmm..... wonder if she used a different code than me.

Old 07-28-2004, 05:51 AM   #32  
Forum Fanatic

New? Old? What???? I got my cartridge holder from SU when I signed up as a demo. I had two, but one grew legs and walked off. Every cartridge I've gotten has fit what I got from SU a year ago. The only difference I've seen is a label that says "new and improved" and found that it doesn't hold the paper as well. What is the difference you're seeing?
Old 07-28-2004, 06:06 AM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

Like ya'll I am stuck on having to buy an embossing gun and the other goodies that I can use a coupon for and save money to buy more stamps and stuff.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:15 AM   #34  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kymbers_Stampin
New? Old? What???? I got my cartridge holder from SU when I signed up as a demo. I had two, but one grew legs and walked off. Every cartridge I've gotten has fit what I got from SU a year ago. The only difference I've seen is a label that says "new and improved" and found that it doesn't hold the paper as well. What is the difference you're seeing?
This is the kind that my SIL ended up with:
Attached Thumbnails
SNAIL adhesive-mono.jpg  

Old 07-28-2004, 06:19 AM   #35  
Forum Fanatic

Hmmmm ~ never seen those. Not in the stores or at Viking.com. I'll be bummed if they change to those. Those won't fit the SNAIL cartridge, that's for sure. Mine look like this http://www.stampandgo.com/rctom62201.jpg
Old 07-28-2004, 06:24 AM   #36  
Polyshrink Goddess

I think those are the non refillable ones. When you order it should have (purple) behind the description. Not sure, but it must be a different code.
Roberta
Old 07-28-2004, 06:24 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

furph's wife wrote:
Quote:

I don't know how to word this so please don't take it wrong and I love SU stuff, but I have a hard time with the accessories and extra's having to buy it through them when all the other craft stores carries all of the same stuff. That is the hardest part I am dealing with right now. I love that SU has all the c/s/inks/markers etc to all coordinate and would like my money go to that and to all the great stamps. It is hard to build up the stamps whenI have to get everything else to demo or whatever with having to have their logo on it.
Ok not sure if I am making sense and I am not at all whining about it, just would rather buy more stamps and coordinating inks/paper/etc...
Totally, TOTALLY agree. Some else wrote about feeling obligated to tell their customers where to get it cheaper. I DON"T feel obligated, besides, there is usually someone in the group that knows where ALL the sales are and I don't have time to check newpapers, web-sites, etc (I would rather lurk and comment on what's going on here on SCS anyday.) As far as not earning the $ towards ANY goal goes, when SU! wants $6.95CAD for a refill and my local office supply store charges only $1.99-$2.50 CAD per refill, financially I'm MUCH better off buying local. Guess I won't be using their monogrammed adhesive.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:56 AM   #38  
Glitter Queen

Default New Viking Code

Hello. I'm new to all of this.... so please can someone let me know what the New Viking code is for August? I see that the one in July was CL7-62202 does that mean the one for August might be CL8-62202?

Do you goto www.viking.com and then choose your items & put in a code somewhere at the end? Can someone help me on this? I'm down to 1 refill and need a ton for my upcoming projects.

Thanks for any help you can send my way.... you guys are great!
Flowers!
Old 08-07-2006, 09:16 AM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhotoGuru7
Hello. I'm new to all of this.... so please can someone let me know what the New Viking code is for August? I see that the one in July was CL7-62202 does that mean the one for August might be CL8-62202?

Do you goto www.viking.com and then choose your items & put in a code somewhere at the end? Can someone help me on this? I'm down to 1 refill and need a ton for my upcoming projects.

Thanks for any help you can send my way.... you guys are great!
Sorry to have to burst your bubble Christine, but this thread is over two years old -- the last post was in July 2004. Viking no longer exists and has been absorbed into Office Depot. Unfortunately, the discount codes discussed in this thread were phased out or discontinued around October 1st, 2005.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Old 08-07-2006, 09:24 AM   #40  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by camsmom

We can still buy from Viking? I thought that company was null and void now. I guess I misunderstood. (I am not far from you {Anne Arundel Co.}, so it should be available to me as well.)