Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-15-2011, 11:40 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retreat preparation

I did some searches, and couldn't find a thread on preparing for a retreat. If there is such a thread, I would love it if someone would guide me there. I have no intention of making people repost things.

But here's the scenario: I have done all day crops, but am going to a full 3 day crop next month. I am a bit overwhelmed thinking about what to bring. Those of you who have done this sort of thing, what are recommendations? I hope to scrapbook, as I have quite a few cards in my stash, and I'm behind in my books. Do you take premade layouts? What do you run out of? What should I be prepared for? I don't know anyone going, so I don't know others styles or what they will bring to lend. Help!
Leah
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2011, 12:09 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

There are threads that have been posted here about that, but finding them is a little tricky for me as I can never remember the thread or what section it was posted in. I will do a little hunting around though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2011, 01:02 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

I try to think about what I am going to be working on, specifically. I have a project in mind and thats what I take the things for. Since you have plenty of prep time, you can definitely do this! Pick your project, gather your pictures, then get on to the hard part, which is picking papers, ribbons, embellishments, etc. I have generally started sticking to a colors/theme when I go to these crops, then take the items that match that colors/theme. This way, I am not taking EVERYTHING I own. Unfortunately, I still take alot of stuff! LOL If you can pre-plan layouts a bit, you can actually cut out any die cuts or cricut embellies you may need and not have to take any machines with you. That saves tons of space and hauling!

I always take an alternative project to work on for when I get bored scrapbooking. Usually it is a 3-D thing, card sets or a mini scrapbook or something like that. I have this pre-cut or ready to do most things so that it doesnt add a whole nother bag or two of stuff to take.

Heres a thread that may help:
How do YOU pack for a scrapbooking retreat? by maslex at Splitcoaststampers

Also, just visit the scrapbooking forum here. Lots of great ideas.

The one thing I always try to take plenty of is adhesive. Whatever your fav is, make sure you have plenty!

Last edited by kspiv; 02-15-2011 at 01:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2011, 01:28 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I prepack pictures and potential matching paper plus embellies in 2 gal zip lock bags--one bag for each 2 page spread.......grab a number of the bags depending on the length of the retreat plus the usual supplies for scrapping, and I'm ready to go. I find it much easier to pack that way, plus I take a lot less.........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2011, 02:52 PM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 603 Likes on 246 Posts

This thread may be helpful:
How do YOU pack for a scrapbooking retreat? by maslex at Splitcoaststampers
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2011, 07:44 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

thanks for all the advice, ladies.
Leah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2011, 08:11 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

I'm going to a weekend crop next month and I was thinking about what to take. One thing I do know that for me it seems like I have a really hard time repacking to come home. Everything fits when I pack to go but packing the same things to come home things just don't want to fit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2011, 02:42 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by KalaKittyView Post
I'm going to a weekend crop next month and I was thinking about what to take. One thing I do know that for me it seems like I have a really hard time repacking to come home. Everything fits when I pack to go but packing the same things to come home things just don't want to fit.
HA! LOL! I go twice a year to a 4 day retreat and every time it's a challenge to get everything packed for the ride home! You have weeks to plan and pack from home and just a short time to repack to get home.
My car is generally full! I usually have a few preplanned projects and then bring other stuff just in case.........I meet my mom up there so we just decide who is bringing what as far as supplies. That way we have a ton of stuff but not too much duplication. For instance, she brings her punch collection and I bring markers and inks and so forth.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2011, 04:13 AM   #9  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It completely depends on your work style as to what you should pack. If you like to have set projects and things very organized, then pack that way. If you want to have total creative freedom, then it's more about packing the products you want to play with than packing for specific products.

I've packed both ways. I'm definitely more productive if I pack specific projects, but I feel so much more creative if I pack the other way. The one thing that is constant in both ways is to pack more than you think you'll use (so, if you complete everything on Day 2, you still have something to work on) and pack a lot more adhesive than you think you'll use so you won't run out. Have fun!

BTW, when I go on the "creative" route, I still pack a "starter project." It's something that is somewhat preplanned and I use it to get my creative juices going. That way, when I'm all unpacked at the retreat, I immediately have a project to start and don't have to sit and think of something to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2011, 04:34 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's funny, after reading the posts in this thread only cements my reasons I would never go to any kind of crop. I'm much more comfortable in my own craft studio where I have everything.

If I went to a crop, I'd spend all the time going around to see what everyone else was working on and just chatting. No time to work on anything I brought.

I'll stay home and enjoy crafting in peace.

I understand many people really look forward to these kinds of events, but they are just not for me.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes