Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-21-2006, 07:20 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Default Should I join SU as a Demo?

Ok ladies, I have been thinking (strongly) about signing up this week as a Demo. They have a good incentive (freebies) and I think it is a good deal. My friend is a Demo and I would sign up under her. I have been going back and forth weighing the pros and cons. I really enjoy going to workshops and stamp camps. It is my way of getting out of the house and relaxing and doing what I love. My biggest concern is that I do not have a client base and the area I live in has lots of Demos. I have some people (2) that will buy from me, but I am nervous that I will not get enough people to come to my workshops and stamp camps. I do not want to spend my money to make my quota every month. ( I do spend about $30-$50 a month at the workshops) I am so torn. Any advice would be appreicated. Thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-21-2006, 07:33 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

I say go for it! Really, you have nothing to lose! If you end up not getting the customer orders that you need, you haven't lost anything, but by signing up, you have gained all of the products from the starter kit.
I signed up in July with the same dilemma, so far I haven't made any money, but I sure hope I will!
Good luck with whatever you decide!
Old 08-21-2006, 07:57 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

What could it hurt? The kit is a fantastic buy as it is, and with the current recruiting special it's even more so. If you join tomorrow, let's say, you would have until the end of December to make your first quarterly quota of $300. (The first partial quarter there's no minimum, but what you sell in that period will count towards the first full quarter.)

Once you get that (and I have no doubts you will), you're then headed into Sellabration, which is always a high volume sales period. So let's say come Spring you're out of sales (doubtful, but hey, let's play devil's advocate...). SU doesn't send out goon squads. You don't pay any fine. All that happens is....you slowly wind down and 6 weeks after the end of the quarter you didn't make your minimum, you are no longer a demo.

BUT, you still have all of the goodies you got during your time as a demo, you'll have a renewed appreciation for your current demo, lol, and SU will still be here for you to be a wonderful customer! No down sides here.....
Old 08-21-2006, 08:25 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ
So let's say come Spring you're out of sales (doubtful, but hey, let's play devil's advocate...). SU doesn't send out goon squads. You don't pay any fine. All that happens is....you slowly wind down and 6 weeks after the end of the quarter you didn't make your minimum, you are no longer a demo.

BUT, you still have all of the goodies you got during your time as a demo, you'll have a renewed appreciation for your current demo, lol, and SU will still be here for you to be a wonderful customer! No down sides here.....
AND..... if you want to join again a few months later....you can do so!!!
You'd have to buy the starter kit again...but at least you could pick different stamp sets and than the other stuff you could use as incentives for bookings.

Some companies wont allow you to sign up again. BUT SU! will be glad to have you back!!!
Old 08-21-2006, 08:29 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

I HOPE YOU JOIN the SU! FAMILY!!
I promise you will love it! I've been loving it for almost 5 years! I started off by only having 1 workshop everything 3 months and I met my minimum every time!! Now I have 1-2 workshops a month and 1 stamp camp. I've taken my time building my business because that's what I wanted to do. That's the BEST Thing about it....you take it at your own pace!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2006, 09:32 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Go for it! SU! has the BEST stamps and we are all LOTS of fun! Wait until you go to convention. Such a hoot! And, it will be in Beautiful Denver next year.

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/wynona
Old 08-21-2006, 09:44 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

I hope you know that here isn't a single person here who would ever say "no!" to this question! How do you think we all found SU!?

Most of us joined just for the discount.... some of us for a business. It sounds like you are 1/2 way to your minimums on your own which should make it easy for you! AND now is the time to do it!!! The kit is such a good deal in itself, so I would say we should expect to see less and less of these incentives as time goes by. Plus with Stampin' Start you can now earn 9 free stamp sets as a new demo! AMAZING!

Good luck!

Old 08-22-2006, 02:13 AM   #8  
Kar
Glitter Guru

I think you should go for it!! If you do remember to join the SU demo only forum!! That is sooooooooo full of information and will help you out with ideas, flyers,and just answer your questions you have
SCS member #735
Old 08-22-2006, 04:23 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

YES I love Stampin Up. You can be A hoby demo or do it as A business. The suport is great. The demo side here is very helpfull. I get so many ideas there.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:41 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Oil...Hot Pan...Gordon Ramsay sexiest man alive...Done.

Even if you sign up and NEVER do another thing with the business, you get an AWESOME kit for a great deal, especially with the current incentive!

I saw go for it!

Old 08-22-2006, 05:50 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

I say go for it!!

The kit is an extraordinary value
One party a quarter and you should be able to meet your minimum
Discount is the same as long as you meet your minimums
Potential to earn a WHOPPING 40% on all your sales which does not include the commission on any recruits you might have
The AWESOME SCS gallery to give you ideas on EVERY set we have
Exclusive accessories and papers that you (and your customers) can't get at Michael's, Hobby Lobby, Walmart, etc.
Stamps that are designed to work with our punches, designer papers, Simply Scrappin' kits, all make it easier for you to sell the product
Voted #1 (by me and over 40,000 others ) in their demonstrator support
Toll free number to answer any questions you might have
Hostess pays NOTHING for her FREE items, no shipping or tax
A demo locator that works instantly!!!

Good luck!!
Old 08-22-2006, 06:11 AM   #12  
Directionally Challenged Parrothead

I just signed up after about 19-20 months of stamping. Before doing it, I did several things: first, had long chat with my friend who got me into this (my demo) and her upline. Told them I wanted to do this mostly to have fun and earn freebies, and asked how much pressure I'd be under to build sales. They both assured me that whatever level I wanted to do this was fine with them. Upline invited me to her larger group's quarterly meeting so I got to see all the creative stuff 4-5 dozen folks are working on. Last, I hosted a free 'learn to stamp' class for several friends and asked them to be honest in their feedback. I figured it was worth the $5-6 in supplies to find out how much work goes into organizing a demo and whether folks would like my ideas.

I agree it's a great deal just to get the starter kit and discount, but I've found I also really learned a lot from meeting with other demos and exchanging ideas. Plus it's kind of a neat challenge to figure out projects that will showcase new stamps and allow me to teach folks new techniques (even if I just learned them last week). I think it's worth it as much for what you'll learn working with your upline's group!

Only down side is that my husband recently observed rather wistfully that he misses our dining room table...
Old 08-22-2006, 06:46 AM   #13  
Gabfest Goddess

Also if you get in a slump to where you having a hard time getting customers, you yourself only has to spend 25 dollars a week to stay active. I think its 22 dollars and some change after the discount and tax and shipping.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:46 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Thank you so much ladies for all your encouraging words. It is really helpful in making my decision. I pretty much feel the same way as most of you do. I promise I will let you know what the outcome is. You ladies are great!
Old 08-22-2006, 07:49 AM   #15  
Mad Swapper

I think you should do it beacuse you really can't loose. If you don't have the customer base to support it you can just go inactive but you'll have all the perks of being a demo (including the great support here on SCS just for SU Demos!) There are hundreds (maybe thousands?) of fellow SU demo's here to help support you and give you ideas for making your business boom!
Old 08-22-2006, 10:52 AM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

Can you tell that we love being a SU demo?!!!! It is sooo much fun!
"Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer." Psalms 19:14
Old 08-22-2006, 05:51 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Any last thoughts that I can sleep on? Thanks again for your advice
Old 08-22-2006, 06:25 PM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Smile I could kick myself for waiting so long!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetoscrap
I am so mad at myself, if I had only known there was much more than the discount available and all of the great support from S.U. Demo Support and the awesome website. I was always a big spender with S.U. I could have kept up my commitment easily. Well here I am 8 years later a Demo and though I only have a couple of customers, they are good customers and I am discovering new ways to get this up and running. Don't waste another day being a customer become a demonstrator and support your habit. This is the best direct sales company I know.

HTH Sleep well
Sharon
Old 08-22-2006, 06:34 PM   #19  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

While I agree that signing up is the way to go (even though I demo for a different company- I just love sharing stamping with other people and think that the opportunity to be a demo and do that is great) remember, the stamping world needs customers too. The discount is nice, but it will be work to get it - nothing comes free- so if you decide not to go the demo route, it's okay to just be a customer.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:49 PM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

In the words of a former SU advisory member - "there are PLENTY of customers to go around." You may just need to be creative in your ways to find them!

Check out my blog: http://www.jenstamps.com
Old 08-22-2006, 07:27 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

When I decided to join SU as a demo I thought that I would just do it for the fun of it for me. DH said I had to support my habit some and I have loved every min of being a demo. I enjoy the things I learn and get to teach and I love the time with ladies instead of just kids (adult convo!) and of course there is always that thing about cholocate that comes around to workshops
Old 08-22-2006, 07:32 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

Do it! You will love SU!! They have outstanding support for their demos and convention and regionals are fabulous! I've never regretted becoming an SU! demo!

Sue's gallery
www.stampinwithsue.stampinup.net
Old 08-26-2006, 03:02 PM   #23  
Gabfest Goddess

Well- what did you decide?
Old 08-26-2006, 03:36 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think you should go for it! SU! does have the best stamps and the best incentives. And with the Recruit special that is going on now you cant lose! Stampin' Up! employees and demos are so supportive of you and what you chose to do with your business. It is just amazing!!!

I joined knowing that I would have myself and two other ppl ordering from me. Never with the intention of doing anything past the hobby demo thing. Now I have a monthly stamp club (with 10 members) and a technique class every other month!! I also have a downline and I honestly did not set out to have one! Just recently promoted to Supervisor (waaaaaaaaaaaa even tho SU! left me off of the promo list for July), went to convention and came home with all kinds of goals for myself and my business!

Good luck on your decision! Looking forward to seeing you on the demo side!

Janice
Old 08-27-2006, 06:18 AM   #25  
SCS Moderator

Did you make a decision?
I joined because I loved the product.
Even now I can find something new everyday that I love. I like that I can do as much or as little workshop wise as I want. I took May-July basically off and STILL had no trouble meeting my minimums, and was able to pick right back up in August when I was ready to get back into it.

I love that I have so much support-on here at SCS through the demos only forum, as well as through the SU site itself. AND I also love that if at some point I decide I want to move in another direction, I can.

The only thing I regret about signing up is that I did not do it sooner. The starter kit plus recruiting special currently going on is really fantastic!!

Good luck!

Old 08-27-2006, 06:31 AM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

It is an awesome company and FANTASTIC product! Hope you decided to sign up.

I signed up almost 7 years ago just to get product at a discount. NEVER planned on doing anything with the business. The great thing is...you don't have to if you don't want to. Even now I still consider myself a 'hobby' demo (even though my other demo friends laugh at that one) because I do this because I love not because I want to be 'sales person of the year' or 'recruiter of the year' (NEVER would qualify for either of those two). It is about doing what you love and sharing it with others.

Most of my downline are in it for the discount. That is totally fine by me since that is how I started. If they ever want to go for more, I will help them with that. I think it is WONDERFUL that you are thinking of signing up under your friend!

Good luck with your decision and hope you join us!
Creative Crew SU Design Team, Spring 2012 CAS Design Team member
Old 08-27-2006, 06:40 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Since you haven't said whether you joined, I thought I would add my 2 cents. I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to decide whether to join. If you already have 2 customers lined up, and you love the product, I think you should do it. There isn't much of a downside.

Will people knock on your doors begging to buy? Not usually, although believe me sometimes a customer literally comes out of the blue! I had someone in my office approach me to teach her how to stamp and she buys a lot from me. Sometimes all you need is one really good customer and you are golden! If you don't get them easily, there are techniques to use -- basic good selling techniques that SU can help you with -- primarily sharing what you love with integrity, enthusiasm and good customer service.

I vote yes!
Old 08-27-2006, 06:59 AM   #28  
Mad Swapper

Hi Everyone,

You gals are so amazing. I have never been on a site that offers so much support. Here are the details

After speaking to people that I know,the people that I invite to my parties when I host for my demo, and some outside people, I only got one to commit to a monthly workshop and maybe one to host a party. People that I thought for sure would come at least once a quarter of a month said they could not commit at this time (for various reasons). Ok, I know the deal is sweat, and I would get 30% off my first order) I love to stamp and SB and I love the product, but I can not justify spending 200.00 to get 39.95 of free stuff and then have to worry about putting in my own $$ to make my quota. ( I can get free stuff when I host a party or two) Yes I know I can do it to support my hobby, but as a SAHM, I don't want that.

Now, I am not ruling out becoming a demo. My daughter starts the big "K" in two weeks. When I start going to PTA, after school activities and getting involved with different people, I will feel them out and if I can get more than one, I will go for it.

I don't want to rush into anything and I know that most of you said go for it, but I hate to sign up and not have it work out (I was in management for 20 years, so the "Business" person in me would stress)

Thanks again for your input. Have a great day and God Bless
Old 08-27-2006, 07:54 AM   #29  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

After speaking to people that I know,the people that I invite to my parties when I host for my demo, and some outside people, I only got one to commit to a monthly workshop and maybe one to host a party. People that I thought for sure would come at least once a quarter of a month said they could not commit at this time (for various reasons). Ok, I know the deal is sweat, and I would get 30% off my first order) I love to stamp and SB and I love the product, but I can not justify spending 200.00 to get 39.95 of free stuff and then have to worry about putting in my own $$ to make my quota. ( I can get free stuff when I host a party or two) Yes I know I can do it to support my hobby, but as a SAHM, I don't want that
You actually get $400 worth of product with the special that is going on right now.

Just thought I should let you know that.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:10 AM   #30  
SCS Moderator

Quote:

Hi Everyone,

You gals are so amazing. I have never been on a site that offers so much support. Here are the details

After speaking to people that I know,the people that I invite to my parties when I host for my demo, and some outside people, I only got one to commit to a monthly workshop and maybe one to host a party. People that I thought for sure would come at least once a quarter of a month said they could not commit at this time (for various reasons). Ok, I know the deal is sweat, and I would get 30% off my first order) I love to stamp and SB and I love the product, but I can not justify spending 200.00 to get 39.95 of free stuff and then have to worry about putting in my own $$ to make my quota. ( I can get free stuff when I host a party or two) Yes I know I can do it to support my hobby, but as a SAHM, I don't want that.

Now, I am not ruling out becoming a demo. My daughter starts the big "K" in two weeks. When I start going to PTA, after school activities and getting involved with different people, I will feel them out and if I can get more than one, I will go for it.

I don't want to rush into anything and I know that most of you said go for it, but I hate to sign up and not have it work out (I was in management for 20 years, so the "Business" person in me would stress)

Thanks again for your input. Have a great day and God Bless
Sounds like you have thought it all out. I love when someone wants to sogn up with me-but I also would not be able to continue my demoship without great customers!!!

Old 08-27-2006, 08:14 AM   #31  
Watercolor Wizard

I too have had some qualms about signing up...many the same as lovetoscrap but I have decided that I AM going to sign up this week!! I figure that I have nothing to lose and I'm going to be joining as mainly a hobby demo. I love my demo here and she has inspired me so much...in fact, she has been after me for quite a while to join up. I am contacting her today so we can arrange for a time to "sign on the dotted line". I am very excited and a bit nervous too but I think whenever you start a new venture that it tends to give a few butterflies in the belly. I am so psyched about this and feel it is the right thing to do!! With all of the support and love on this site, where can I go wrong???

[ur=http://www.freesmileys.org][/url]
Old 08-28-2006, 08:52 PM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

Jump in and have fun! When you love what you are selling it makes it so easy! When I go to my workshops I come home so excited about how easy it is to sell SU stamps and such. Your enthusiasm will be catching!

Good luck!
p.s. if you CASE me, I am flattered! Thank you very much!
Session 2... Can't wait!