Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Should I DEMO SU or CTMH?? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/should-i-demo-su-ctmh-138634/)

Palapala 04-19-2006 10:52 AM

Should I DEMO SU or CTMH??

I have been searching SCS all day, but just haven't found all the info I am looking for.

I love Stampin Up and I love Close To My Heart. DH actually asked (always been against before) if I want to be a Demo. Now I just need to decide which company. I have lots of SU demos in my area, but almost no CTMH. BUT SU seems to sell better. I love SU matching colors and accessories, but love the # of colors and ink pads from CTMH. So confusing!

I'd like to hear from both SU and CTMH demos about what you like best about the company you are with. I want it partcially for my hobby habit, but I don't want to be the only one making my monthly requirements.

I actually got a little scared off after reading a thread about why people were quitting as demos. I want this to supplement my income without running around like a crazy women to get it accomplished!

Thanks for your advice in advance. I love this site and how helpful you all are.

JulieHRR 04-19-2006 11:01 AM

The best advice I can offer you is to sign up with the company whose images and products you are most in love with. It makes all the difference, and everything else seems to take care of itself if you use that as your guide.

Good luck in your decision, and best wishes for success in your endeavors.

:grin:

gmcbunny 04-19-2006 11:02 AM

Well - I am obviously biased, but if I were in your area based on the number of SU demos to CTMH demos I would choose CTMH. I love that CTMH has great consultant support, they have a new program where not only your upline helps you jumpstart your new business, the corporate office does too!

CTMH also gives their consultants the oppurtunity to participate in online commerce by giving them the option of having a website.

Sales requirements are based on Quarterly minimums $300 per quarter

If you have anymore questions feel free to PM or e-mail me

Hope this helps a little

Kate

craftygirl04 04-19-2006 11:10 AM

Another thought, compare what each company expects you to sell each quarter. Which one best suits what you think you'd be able to sell. What are their demonstrator incentives? Does one give it's demonstrators better incentives than the other? If both are the same you'll either have to chose the one you love just a little bit more OR do both? Just kidding! Good luck deciding.

jana_angel_1251 04-19-2006 11:10 AM

Although I demonstrate for neither company I think that with either company you have two ways you can look at it.

1) Are you becoming demontrator to supplement your income

Or

2) Are you becoming a demonstrator because you love the stamps and want the discounts

If the answer fits more in category 1 - I think that you need to weigh the differences in company requirements and what the market saturation is like in order to make the best profit you can.

If the answer fits more in category 2 then I think that you need to weigh out based on which company YOU like better.

Most importantly - don't rush into either. Take your time, look through the catalogs, decide which company best fits YOUR needs. Take the time to talk to demonstrators in and out of your area about what they are experiencing - both active sellers and hobbyists. You will get more of an overall picture if you speak with both IMHO. If you need help with this part contact the two respecitive coporate offices and ask for numbers of several demonstrators in your area.

If your friends are going to be your main customers talk to them and see what they want for their stamping needs.

And then, if you decide one fits into what you want in way of building a business or just making your requirements to stay active, make a decision.

Anyone can say, "Oh - I LOVE these stamps or those stamps" - but it comes down to what YOU love and what you want to make yourself happy ;-)

And keep us posted on what you decide so we can cheer you on all the way!

Joan B 04-19-2006 11:23 AM

I would interview 2 SU demos and 2 CTMH demos in your area. Ask the nitty gritty compensation questions and how hard do they have to work to make any $$. What exactly do they make? Look through both catalogues, both compensation plans, read the fine print. SU's compensation plan is changing on July 1, so make sure you get updated info.

Ask to go to a workshop for SU and one for CTMH. How many are there? How much are they spending? Then, I'd make a list pro and con. Jana made some very good points.

I agree with Julie to demo the product you love, but if you really love both and your area is saturated with SU, it might be a smart business move to go with CTMH.

Palapala 04-19-2006 11:24 AM

Thanks for the advice - please keep it coming. I've been "secretly" thinking of demoing for a couple of months and once DH asked, the panic kicked in on what to do!

Jana - thanks for some very good advice. I think my friends are as fickle as I am!! We all like the latest and greatest, keep going back to SU - so in some ways that could be the answer, yet I love CTMH being clear and easy to store - plus they don't break my back moving them! LOL

I love TAC stamps too, but have really seen the demand among my cohorts go way down. Plus, I think having our TAC demo turn flightly on us didn't help.

What to do, what to do!

GWTW Junkie 04-19-2006 11:26 AM

I am an SU demo and there is no better company on the market, IMO... every company has its upsides and downsides, but you won't find better customer service, demo support, or exclusive products and stamps with any other company. SU is the leader that all the others copy!
As for there being several SU demos in your area--there are seven in my small town, and I have only run into one of them and I have never run across another demo's flyers at all. Not a problem!

staramaze 04-19-2006 11:28 AM

Jana gave great advice... I wanted to add... I got very lucky when I signed up because I happened to get a great group of Up and sidelines... My up, up upline has over 250, her up-up-upline (not officially in my circle... but I still get to participate in her meetings and emails) has over 2000 below her. My direct upline has I think 20 or 30.

That being said; I had no idea that would be so important to me! My advice would be to "interview" the demos who would be your potential uplines... and if you don't click with their business style, creative style, values, personality and leadership... it's ok to look elsewhere. Good luck with your decision.

Novell 04-19-2006 11:32 AM

I wrestled with this, too. I ended up not signing up with anybody....yet. The one thing I didn't like about CTMH is they no longer sell CS in 8.5 x 11 by color. You can purchase color combo packs, but not individual colors. They have moved to 12x12 pretty exclusively. Another factor was I've been an SU customer for so long I already had so much invested in SU product. To have to rebuy ink pads, markers, etc, etc, was just too much for me on top of the starter kit. I think I'm just happier being a customer to both companies.

jana_angel_1251 04-19-2006 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palapala
Thanks for the advice - please keep it coming. I've been "secretly" thinking of demoing for a couple of months and once DH asked, the panic kicked in on what to do!

Jana - thanks for some very good advice. I think my friends are as fickle as I am!! We all like the latest and greatest, keep going back to SU - so in some ways that could be the answer, yet I love CTMH being clear and easy to store - plus they don't break my back moving them! LOL

I love TAC stamps too, but have really seen the demand among my cohorts go way down. Plus, I think having our TAC demo turn flightly on us didn't help.

What to do, what to do!

DON'T PANIC! LOL! Just take your time and enjoy finding out more about the companies! Look at it as a way to get a chance to look at their stamps more and the company details!

And I am sorry your demo went flighty! I hate to hear that! I hope if you and your cohorts want TAC stamps again you find a demo that will give you better customer service!

KyleHannah 04-19-2006 11:52 AM

i pmed you

CherylPenner 04-19-2006 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
The best advice I can offer you is to sign up with the company whose images and products you are most in love with. It makes all the difference, and everything else seems to take care of itself if you use that as your guide.

Good luck in your decision, and best wishes for success in your endeavors.

:grin:

I totally agree with Julie here. Look at both catalogues, play with both styles of stamps (sounds like you've done that), then make a choice. It's easier to sell what you love the most!

geogymnast82 04-20-2006 06:48 AM

I would compare every aspect of each company that you can. Make a line by line comparison so you get a true idea of the similarities and differences. If you love both companies, then start by listing your likes and dislikes for each company. You're more likely to work harder and have higher enthusiasm for those products you love the most. But don't let you love for the product blind you to all the business costs involved. Find out everything - how often do the catties come out, what will be your yearly cost for each. What about business forms, hostess incentives, etc. Some companies pay a certain amout of those while others make you foot the entire bill. Find out ALL the numbers you can.

SU is hugely popular, which is good and bad. Good in that a lot of people love their products, bad in that there are a ton of demos. CTMH isn't as widely available (at least what I've seen around me), which is good in that there aren't as many demos, but not a lot of people have a clue as what they really have.

Do your homework the best you can. Talk to several demos from each company if possible. Weigh all the facts before making a decision. Try and get each company's "rules and regulations" for once you sign up before you actually sign up. Many times, there's info in there you only find out about AFTER you sign up when you've already spent your money.

Jackie46 04-20-2006 07:49 AM

I've been a demo for both and my advice is to not worry about how many are in the area but to choose the one whose products you like and will use. Eventually you will find yourself buying the bulk of your products from yourself and if you don't like the product then it's hard to use.

danssister 04-20-2006 07:55 AM

Sign up with the company who's products you LOVE. That way, you'll be sharing what you love, and people will respnd accordingly. I'm a hobby demo, and don't mind supporting my minimums when I need to. :rolleyes: Good luck with your decision! :)

MoreStamps! 04-20-2006 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmcbunny
CTMH also gives their consultants the oppurtunity to participate in online commerce by giving them the option of having a website.

Sales requirements are based on Quarterly minimums $300 per quarter

If you have anymore questions feel free to PM or e-mail me

Hope this helps a little

Kate

The SU! Quarterly Minimums are $300.00 also.
SU! also has a demonstrator website program.
So the main differences are the kind of stamps, they both have pro's and cons...my biggest concern is if the clear stamps really age as well as the rubber. There are really old rubber stamps around...Tires are made from a type of rubber because it lasts. Plastic, acrylic deteriorates. I've seem the clear stamp sets hanging in the stores in their packages turning yellow. Stamps are an investment, I want to be sure they last a while.
I don't know really how long the clear will last and no one else does either because they haven't been around very long yet.
...but, I have to say that CTMH has more variety in paper sets and scrapbooking is more focused on.
...but, with the 2005/06 SU! catty it seems to be changing. The Spring mini has awesome new paper. The new Summer Mini does too(Sorry if I have just frustrated anyone who doesn't have a demo to sneak peek it with
So I suspect SU! is going to have alot more paper packs in the new 2006/07 Catalog(just my opinion)
Anyway, I hope I helped and didn't make anyone upset? I love CTMH too, but have to limit stamps from outside of SU! I actually almost signed up with them until they changed their stamps! I really loved their old background too, but they are gone.

MoreStamps! 04-20-2006 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoreStamps!
...but, with the 2005/06 SU! catty it seems to be changing. The Spring mini has awesome new paper. The new Summer Mini does too(Sorry if I have just frustrated anyone who doesn't have a demo to sneak peek it with
So I suspect SU! is going to have alot more paper packs in the new 2006/07 Catalog(just my opinion).

The link to the Mini is actually posted in several places!;)

Jenmouer 04-20-2006 10:11 AM

I think it depends on your style and what you do the most...Personally I am a SU demo - I love the stamps, paper and ink...While I don't own any CTMH sets or anything like that I do have one of thier catalogs...If you are more of a scrapper than a true stamper then IMO CTMH has more product to offer.

If you are a stamper the question you have to ask yourself is do you like rubber??? or Acrilyic????

I became a SU demo because I loved the stamps and the idea of getting a discount and being able to earn some free stuff along the way was a nice incentive - I also had a small built in customer base from some friends...my whole goal was to earn enough so I no money is coming out of my pocket for what I want to buy...I reached that goal.

I do suggest you sit down with at least 1 demo from each company and ask the tough nitty gritty questions...about minimums and time frames and whatnot...what sort of extra plan do they have in place for earning free stuff, etc...

Vee 04-20-2006 10:29 AM

I am a SU! demo but I know that TAC's starter kit is way less expensive, and there are not nearly as many TAC demos so you might get more sales there, especially as you said your TAC demo went squirly on you and your friends.
I have a great TAC demo in another state I can hook you up with. SHe has a demo number under 100 and is a big upline, but I think she would be good support as she is always prompt and follows up with me as a customer.

gmcbunny 04-20-2006 10:37 AM

Quote:

SU! also has a demonstrator website program.

Just to clarify the difference between SU and CTMH websites - CTMH demos can accept orders directly on their sites, that is what I meant by online commerce

vlasak 04-20-2006 11:00 AM

I also wonder if CTMH is actually l"istening" to the customer and the trends more by going acrylic and really addressing storage.. SU still doesnt seem to get the idea that people dont have the square footage it requires to store all the stamps and by retirig them it basically send the message that these are no longer valid or of value to us.. - Thats something I have been worred about with SU- I am like so many others and get jazzed up by the sets SU is basically discarding.. seems backwards (but thats another rant -sorry) BUT I also like the inks and accessories from BOTH companies.. I would talk to your potential customers and aske what THEY think.. demos from each company are easy to get info and advice from.. THe real issue since you are doing this for income is - What do the people who are buying these priducts in your area think and want and need..

Palapala 04-20-2006 11:01 AM

Number one problem.... I love it ALL!! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the comments - please keep them coming. It is very helpful.

MoreStamps! 04-20-2006 11:18 AM

Quote:

The link to the Mini is actually posted in several places!;)

Nevermind, seems to be an infringement of copyright law. Bet SU! never releases pictures early again!

pigfingers 04-20-2006 11:28 AM

Quote:

I have been searching SCS all day, but just haven't found all the info I am looking for.

I love Stampin Up and I love Close To My Heart. DH actually asked (always been against before) if I want to be a Demo. Now I just need to decide which company. I have lots of SU demos in my area, but almost no CTMH. BUT SU seems to sell better. I love SU matching colors and accessories, but love the # of colors and ink pads from CTMH. So confusing!

I'd like to hear from both SU and CTMH demos about what you like best about the company you are with. I want it partcially for my hobby habit, but I don't want to be the only one making my monthly requirements.

I actually got a little scared off after reading a thread about why people were quitting as demos. I want this to supplement my income without running around like a crazy women to get it accomplished!

Thanks for your advice in advance. I love this site and how helpful you all are.

Oh and of course one thing to consider is each of the angel policies. I am a CTMH demo now, though mostly hobbyist since I on HERE most of the time, LOL! But also used to do SU and did workshops. One thing my sister has always asked me to do is to make stuff that I can put in a friend of her's shop. I can't do that with either SU or CTMH, but I can with other stamps like the ones that TAC offers and Great Impressions, etc. TAC has a demonstratorship like CTMH and SU and I had the time to actually make cards for a living I would go with TAC since a LOT of their images are actually really very close to some of the sets offered by SU and CTMH if you look closely.

Just a thought to help you make your decision!!

gmcbunny 04-20-2006 11:33 AM

Quote:

Number one problem.... I love it ALL!! .

I don't see that as a problem! ;)

Korillian 04-20-2006 11:35 AM

According to my CTMH demo, she CANNOT be hostess on her own party. So I take that to mean that she never earns free product even when she holds an open house or places an order for herself. Also, she is charged for her own personal copy of the CTMH catalog -- I think she said $2.00? And the special club thing where if you order over a certain amount you get a free gift -- she has to buy those, too.

As an SU! demo you are entitled to hostess benefits whenever you place an order for yourself, for a stamp camp/open house/whatever, or combine smaller customer orders. SU! doesn't make us pay for any of our hostess gifts. And we receive a copy of all catalogs, no charge.

I don't know how much the compensation is for CTMH, though, so I can't say if it's more than SU! compensation.

CTMH has online ordering for their demos, but personally I think that might work against you -- I know that I ordered from someone who I found here on SCS instead of my local demo because she was out of town for two weeks. OTOH, online ordering is cool!

I think, though, like everyone else you have to decide which company's products you prefer more. If you're more of a scrapper then CTMH is probably the best option because they definitely have a wider selection of scrapping materials! SU does seem to have a larger selection of stamps, though, but that might just be because CTMH's are spread out over several cattys over the year. OTOH, my impression when looking at CTMH catty is that it's a scrapping catty first, a stamping catty second.

Suzastampin 04-20-2006 11:50 AM

CTMH consultants do receive one free copy of our catalog at convention time, just like SU reps do. But, since our catalogs come out 3 times a year now, we do have to purchase the other 2. But, if you plan on selling you're going to be needing to order catalogs anyway. What good is just one catalog? LOL!
It is true that we are not allowed to be a hostess for our parties but if doing a workshop, it's much more fun to have a mystery hostess drawing for all of those who attend anyway.
Our commission at time of sale is 22%, plus we receive override checks the following month on sales over $99. A $100 order will get you another 1.5%, a $300 order would be 3%, which, would be a total commisson of 25%. Our overrides go up to 12.5%. We also have the Jr. consultant program which is a great fall back for those times when life just gets in the way. If unable to make the $300 quota for a quarter, you may drop to Jr. consultant and stay with the company. Your commission will only be 10%, but, you'll still be with the company and can come back to active status with a $300 order of any commissionable products. In times of crisis, we also have a Critical Status...say for those times of grave illness, etc., you may request critical status and that gives you a bye for that quarter. You start the next quarter at the same active status as the quarter before.
We do not have to purchase our Hostess rewards. Those are paid for by the company and can be anything from the catalog, not certain products.
The connections club gifts that we give out for $200 in orders...yes, we do have to purchase those, but 1st, it is not mandatory to participate in the program or to use the items CTMH has to offer. 2nd, they are not really very expensive :)
One of the main reasons I chose CTMH when I started was that we are able to advertise and sell both online and off. We may run ads as consultants in national magazines, and now with the online ordering, it's da bomb!!
If anybody wants to drop me a pm, please feel free to. :)

Suz
CTMH Director

Michellelovesscrap 04-20-2006 11:51 AM

I am an SU demo and I chose SU over CTMH for one reason...SU lets you customize your starter kit. You choose which stamps you want, which colour ink pads you want and what colour cs family you want.

I do, however, like CTMH scrapbooking selection. And some of their image sets. So I buy occaissionally from a CTMH demo.
Most of my likes were SU so I went with them.

Oh yeah, another plus for CTMH is their JR status which means you only have to sell 100.00 a quarter to stay active. That's a plus!

Michellelovesscrap 04-20-2006 11:58 AM

Hey, Suz, I've been a part of your CTMH board for a while! Of course, I'm known as Stamphappy over there!
If anyone wants to check out the site, visit her link! It's going to take a while to get as big as SCS but still a great site and a great place to see CTMH artwork!

NYstamper 04-20-2006 01:12 PM

I have purchased both companys products and can honestly say that I do prefer regular mounted stamps. I have acyrlic sets, but don't pull them out all that much. Don't get me wrong, I love the designs I bought, but the constant putting them on, pulling them off, is time consuming. If I had more time to play, I wouldn't mind. I do however, love both companys paper! I love the colors and designs on ctmh, but love the weight and colors for SU.
After buying products for several years, I signed up with SU, but in my case it was only one demo in my small town, now there are three of us, but we aren't stumbling all over each other. We each have our own groups so to speak. But with your case, if you don't have a base to start with, I'ld say go ctmh. Good luck on whatever you decide!
I do love Su, don't regret signing up at all!

lissaklynn 04-20-2006 05:36 PM

I've done both...

I was a consultant for CTMH for 2+ years and switched to SU 3 1/2 years ago and have never (okay, rarely!) looked back. CTMH is a great company with some amazing products -- especially in the scrapbooking arena, but I honestly believe SU is the way to go. I won't bash CTMH or do side by side comparisons in this forum, but if you'd like to PM me for my reasoning based on my experiences, feel free.

That said -- follow your heart and your style. They're both AWESOME companies with amazing products. I am still a great customer to my CTMH consultant and I'm a very active SU demo. :) What can I say -- I'm an addict.

Again, feel free to PM me if you have questions.

TexasStampin 04-21-2006 02:46 AM

Before I became a SU demo I lurked on several sites that had SU demos and CTMH demos on them. I did this for about 3 months and the reason I chose SU besides the fact that I LOVE the products is that on the SU sites, the demos were always going on and on about how SU has their best interests in mind, how they listen to their demos, and how they give them the opportunity to earn free product. On the other hand the CTMH demos were always complaining about how they were treated by their company. NOW, I have to say this was 4 years ago so things might have changed but that's what made up my mind and I've never regretted it for an instant! I agree with what other posters have said, do your homework. Interview demos BOTH past and present from both companies. Find someone you think you'd like as an upline and interview them thoroughly (that was my mistake and that is one thing I ALWAYS tell people to do). Whatever you decision, good luck in your new business venture!!
Sharon

Lisa62 04-21-2006 03:33 AM

hmmm tuff call. if there are that many people doing su and they are doing well.what's 1 more.if you love 1 more than the other you can still buy fromt he other. I say go with the one you love the images from the most because this is the company you will be getting your FREE PRODUCTS FROM.I'm not a demo but su does sell more than the others.and people are a lot more familair with them.plus they have SCS,to help them out with as far as samples to view and this site will also help boost your sales.Ctmh doesn't have any many samples to view.

Pats stamping place also has loads of SU samples to see both current and retired sets.same as here.plus they can see techniques every other month when they sign up for her newsletter.and they always have su stamps in there.

Suzastampin 04-21-2006 03:40 AM

Lisa,
I have created a site like SCS for CTMH. We now have over 400 CTMH samples in the gallery and the bulletin board is starting to take off. If you click the link below my name, it will get you to the gallery and you can reach the BB from the gallery.

Michelle! Thanks so much for joining our community and and your kind words!

Suz

Palapala 04-21-2006 04:59 AM

Thanks, Suzastampin!! I am headed off to view your site. Good thing I'm not planning on doing anything until July, cause I think its going to take that long to decide!!

scatty 04-21-2006 05:34 AM

Thank you for starting this thread. I want to become a demo as well, just have not made a final decision.
I know how you feel, I purchase and love products from both companies.
Perhaps it might help is if you write down the advantages and disadvantages in columns and see where you are at.

One thing that may help you, is the fact that you have friends that are interested in this. Many consultants offer clubs to help them make their quarterly miniumus. This might be a way for you to go.

For me, unfortunately, I do not have family and friends that have an interest in scrapbooking or stamping, so it would be tough to build a customer base.
Of course I could always be my own best customer.

Best of luck to you in your decision making process.

Keep us updated

jeanstamping2 04-29-2006 10:57 PM

Go with your Heart!

Quote:

Well after reading some of the other post. I would like to say this. Do what your Heart tells you.

Each Stamping Company has something to offer everyone.

And Not every company is for everyone.

I went with The Angel Company TAC because of a few reason. One being that I wanted to sell my creation's online. and I knew I could keep up with the quota's that TAC has.

Earn 25% commission, 30% off everything in our Catalog and you get a 40% Birthday coupon to use for Stamps only, $100.00 in Retail sales every 4 months.

Which Stamps do you reach for more often when Stamping?
What do you Love about the companies that you wish to Demo for?
Would you want to do this a Business or just a hobby?
Picking a Upline is important! Please take that into condsiteration (sp)
Like someone else said take a look at all the catalogs. Get as much information so you will feel at ease. Take your Time.
Good luck!!!!

stampinupsunshine 04-29-2006 11:19 PM

I am a Stampin up Demo and I love it , I think that It sells itself in alot of ways , people are 1st amazed by the I.B.C and are intrested in it just for the size and style , I was scared because of minimums to meet and not having money rolling in to cover my butt if i got behind, But i took a leap and girl was it worth it , I ahve a stamp club every other month which meets my minium right off the bat , I have stamp camps and also do workshops as well . I did it because 1 I love their stuff and wanted to get it all. Stampin up offers so many good things and resources and with the policies changing in July I can assure you that better things are sure to come. I say make your choice on what you love . I can only speak of what I know and I know Stampin up

pigfingers 04-30-2006 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinupsunshine
Stampin up offers so many good things and resources and with the policies changing in July I can assure you that better things are sure to come.

Could someone fill me in, what "policy changes in July" are going on??