Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Should I Buy SU Top Note or Nestabilities Labels One? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/should-i-buy-su-top-note-nestabilities-labels-one-490147/)

Krafty*Kate 05-05-2010 07:41 AM

Should I Buy SU Top Note or Nestabilities Labels One?

Hello, I would love advice on purchasing the SU Top Note die vs. the Spellbinders Nestabilities Labels One set. http://www.123stitch.com/cgi-perl/it...em=NEST-S4-161 The die cutting system I have is a crank style machine called a Zip E Mate, which works with Sizzix dies using shims. If you could only choose either Top Note or the Labels One set, which would you buy? It seems like they would both be useful in different ways. I like the matting capability of the Nesties and it seems to be a fairly similar shape, except a little more square than rectangle, and maybe not as large? However, I have seen so many cute projects on this site using Top Note - I really *love* the gift card holders and using it for cello bag toppers. But, I could probably alter the look slightly and use the Nesties to make these items too? I am making items for craft shows this Fall and trying to decide which purchase would be a better investment. {sigh} It is a tough decision! Also, to further complicate matters, I am wondering if there is a Cricut cartridge (I have an Expression) that contains a shape similar to Top Note? Any input is appreciated. Thanks so much! :D

odie1 05-05-2010 07:49 AM

The Storybook Cricut cart has a shape like this. The corners have in indentation as opposed to rounded. If you have Design Studio or the Gypsy you could manipulate the shape to make it more or less square, whichever you needed. If you are deciding between the Nesties and the Top note die, I would get the Nesties. With the different sizes I think it's more versatile and a better value for the money.

geogymnast82 05-05-2010 07:54 AM

If I didn't have one, I'd buy the Nesties set because you get a bunch of different sizes for what it would cost to get one size of the Top Note die. Simply from a "cost per" perspective, the Nesties would be a better purchase. And yes, there is a Cricut cartridge that has a shape similar to the Top Note - it's the Accent Essentials cartridge. You can cut out the whole image or have it just cut the outside border area with it open in the middle (like if you had the Top Note then cut out the inside shape along the perforated line). The corners of the one on the Accent Essentials cartridge are rounded like on the Top Note. I haven't kept up with all the currently available cartridges so I don't know if the Accent Essentials is still readily available or not.

Gavlinne 05-05-2010 07:58 AM

Actually, if you're looking to mimic the top note die I would go with the label 8 nestability set:
http://www.123stitch.com/cgi-perl/it...em=NEST-S5-019

I've used both the nestabilities and the top note die and I prefer the nestabilities because of the size variations.

geogymnast82 05-05-2010 08:21 AM

Don't know anything about 123stitch.com since I've never ordered from them, but unless you're ordering a bunch of stuff from SU, you have to factor in the tax and the minimum $6.95 shipping on top of the die cost. You get more Nesties for a lower price and much cheaper shipping from 123stitch.com.

nuhddad 05-05-2010 08:36 AM

I love my Top Note. It is great.

xiunyuki 05-05-2010 08:36 AM

I'd go for Nesties Label 8 as well. And, yes, I've ordered from 123stitched before and they were wonderful. Smooth & fast transaction!

stampermom23boys 05-05-2010 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krafty*Kate (Post 16633880)
Hello, I would love advice on purchasing the SU Top Note die vs. the Spellbinders Nestabilities Labels One set. http://www.123stitch.com/cgi-perl/it...em=NEST-S4-161 The die cutting system I have is a crank style machine called a Zip E Mate, which works with Sizzix dies using shims. If you could only choose either Top Note or the Labels One set, which would you buy? It seems like they would both be useful in different ways. I like the matting capability of the Nesties and it seems to be a fairly similar shape, except a little more square than rectangle, and maybe not as large? However, I have seen so many cute projects on this site using Top Note - I really *love* the gift card holders and using it for cello bag toppers. But, I could probably alter the look slightly and use the Nesties to make these items too? I am making items for craft shows this Fall and trying to decide which purchase would be a better investment. {sigh} It is a tough decision! Also, to further complicate matters, I am wondering if there is a Cricut cartridge (I have an Expression) that contains a shape similar to Top Note? Any input is appreciated. Thanks so much! :D

I have both and love them equally but if I had to choose just one I'd probably get the Nestabilities because it's more versatile. AND you can buy them at Hobby Lobby. When you use a 40% coupon (or sometimes they go on sale 40% off) they are only 14.99 plus tax. :mrgreen:

palval77 05-05-2010 08:45 AM

i own both...........but I would go with the nesties

princessmeshelle 05-05-2010 08:48 AM

The Accent Essentials cart has what looks to me to be the exact same shape as the top note. I haven't used mine yet, but it has the top note shape. I'm not sure if it has been discontinued though. I remember having to hunt to find mine.

princessmeshelle 05-05-2010 08:54 AM

Apparently, Accent Essentials comes bundled with the Expression only and isn't availibe other wise... Unless you got to Ebay and search: cricut cartridge accent essentials. Then you will come up with 15 listings for it. Some are buy it now and the cheapest I saw it for was $40 with free shipping.

katestamps716 05-05-2010 09:18 AM

Labels 8 all the way! You get much more bang for you buck.

binx 05-05-2010 09:24 AM

I went with labels 8, but, then after the top note came out, I was waiting for Spellbinders' version.

meluvstampin 05-05-2010 11:40 AM

I have bot Labels 1 and Labels 8 and I love them & use them all the time.
I love that you can nest with them or use them by themselves.
The Labels 8 is very similar to the top note.
My other favorite part is the embossed inside on them.

juliemlacey 05-05-2010 11:55 AM

I have both and I really like both for different reasons. The Nestabilities comes in a variety of sizes. However, I do like the piercing around the edge that the Top Note has. When I really want to use it, I can simply trim down the Top Note to suit what I'm using it for. I don't think I could pick one or the other because they are really quite different.

Crafter 4 Life 05-05-2010 12:06 PM

If you go the Label 8 route, try the U Cut at Home site. If you sign up, you qualify for a 40% coupon each month. Don't remember what shipping costs are but if you are like me, no 'big box store' nearby carry the Spellbinders beyond the basic shapes. One LSS does carry some but you have to spend $25 before you can use a JoAnn/Michael's coupon.

debbiemom23cs 05-05-2010 02:12 PM

I like Labels 1 & 8 because of all the different sizes and there is that nice embossed edge. The Top Note Die is nice but has those dashes around the outside.

JanTInk 05-05-2010 06:10 PM

Why do you have to choose between them?

I love Nesties, I do...but you can't cut chipboard with them or fabric. Big Shot dies will cut a large variety of materials. Personally, I'd love to have both the Top Note and the Nesties.

Krafty*Kate 05-05-2010 07:26 PM

Thank you all so much for the helpful information! Since I have not used my Zip E Mate in a LONG time, I think I might look for the Cricut Storybook or Accent Essentials cartridge. It does appear that Accent Essentials was bundled with the Expression, but my Expression was the Wal-Mart Christmas deal that came with Plantin Schoolbook and Serenade. May have to watch a few on ebay to see what they go for.

Thanks to those who pointed out that the Nesties Labels 8 was actually closer to Top Note than Labels 1. There is a Hobby Lobby about 40 minutes away and I will have to look at those the next time I am there - and hope there is a 40% coupon I can use! ;)

Thanks again!!

princessmeshelle 05-06-2010 04:50 AM

Glad to help you figure out what you want!

As far as buying nesties goes, if the 40 min drive is undisireable, Cut at Home offers a 40% discount every month. They also use flat rate shipping so the shipping charges aren't rediculous (IMHO). If you decide to build the nestie collection it is a great way to go. Just so you know.

geogymnast82 05-06-2010 04:56 AM

Don't forget that you can also buy a deep cutting blade for a Cricut that allows you to cut chipboard, plus with the Cricut, you aren't limited to one size like the Top Note.

Kimberly Crawford 05-06-2010 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInk (Post 16638082)
Why do you have to choose between them?

I love Nesties, I do...but you can't cut chipboard with them or fabric. Big Shot dies will cut a large variety of materials. Personally, I'd love to have both the Top Note and the Nesties.

Actually, if you have a Wizard, you can cut all of these with your Nestabilities:
fabric
canvas
thin chipboard
thin cork
Fun Foam

Sharpstamper 05-06-2010 06:03 PM

I used to have a Zip-e-mate and I gave it away and bought a Big Shot because I'm pretty sure the top note does not fit in it. The width of it is 5 1/2" so you can check.

!Allison! 05-06-2010 06:21 PM

Just ordered the poinsettia nestie from CUT@HOME. If you order only one nestie you can ask for 1st class postage ($3.20) in the order comments section. They shipped super quick on my last order.

ekip2 05-06-2010 06:35 PM

I'm no help - I have 'em all! LOL . I love the top note - love to cut chipboard and felt with it. I also have the nesties and storybook cartridge for the cricut. Its really nice to have the variety of sizes with the nesties but I'm not successful with cutting non paper with it - I found the top note shape one that I wanted to have that capacity with so I "duplicated".

So my answer to you - is what are you gonna cut - that will tell you what you need.

HTH Andrea