Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-24-2009, 01:44 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Tips and Tricks for Your Craft (or Stamping) Room

I'm embarking on a 6 week journey to convert my office into a craft room. I've broken it down to three major categories of success factors:

COLOR Inspiration: Week 1 and 2 are for picking colors and painting. [I think I like the look of red (see attachment from Pottery Barn).]

ORGANIZE IT: Week 3 and 4 are for replacing the furniture with Stamping-friendly general storage and matching accessory holders

WHAT'S ON HAND?: Week 5 and 6 are for moving all my stuff from the mess in the dining area that exists now, getting rid of what's not really being used, as well as purchasing the "essentials" I'm missing

What tips do you want to share with everyone about any of the above? Let's help each other have the perfect crafting space - no matter how small or how large....

Thanks for your help, and power to the craft rooms!

Audrie
Sammamish, WA
Attached Thumbnails
Tips and Tricks for Your Craft (or Stamping) Room-pottery-barn.jpg  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2009, 02:03 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I'll add what I've learned so far:

COLOR: Inspire yourself with brights - but don't make it static. Use color in such a way that just by changing the assessories you get a new look and feel when you need to.

ORGANIZE: Open storage for what you want to see, and what you grab the most, but closed storage for messier items. Have a plan for how paper is stored (i.e. by color, by brand, or by type)

WHAT'S ON HAND: Can't live without....Stamps (wooden &/or clear), Card Stock, Designer Paper, Sissors, Inks & Markers, Adhesives, Punches, Ribbon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2009, 02:50 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a really well-thought-out plan! I think it will work wonderfully for you. My only thought, and it may not even apply to you, is that I see color very differently in different colored rooms - especially red. My craft room/office receives a lot of light during the day, so I have chosen to leave it off-white because it helps me see the colors that I'm working with (matching inks, papers, pencils, etc.) in a more true way. But like I said, I know that all people aren't like that, but thought I would mention it just in case it was a consideration for you. The picture you put up is so inviting - you have great taste and it sounds like your room is going to be absolutely beautiful! Good luck - can't wait to see the after pics!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2009, 04:21 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Will have to give this some thought, but just had to take a minute to say "small world"...we moved to AZ from Sammamish, WA about 9 years ago. My daughters graduated from Eastlake HS. Useless information for your question, but had to say "hi"!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2009, 04:26 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

I am very short--under 5' tall--so comfort was a primary concern. Tables and countertops are always too high and uncomfortable to work at (ouch--my poor back!). My sweet DH picked up a "scrap" piece of countertop from a home supply store and mounted it at my comfort height for sitting, and then I purchased a craft table custom made for standing at my height (Tracey's Tables).
I also have an electric strip mounted on the wall behind my counter with 5? 6? outlets. Make sure you have enough outlets! I can have friends over to craft, and we can have sewing machines/blue guns/embossing tools/TV/ etc. all plugged in at once.
And PEGBOARD--it is the BEST. I have a big piece of pegboard mounted on a wall to hang punches, tools, and other stuff I want handy. Try to use verticle/wall space as efficiently as you can!
THe only thing I haven't found a good solution for yet is ribbon storage. Nothing I've found works for me....

Joy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2009, 04:29 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I want to chime in on the red color too. I stamp in my dining room, which is red. The color is nice for eating, but really sucks the light out of the room for stamping. I generally use my OTT light whenever I stamp (even on a sunny day), but it can tough for everyone when I have classes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2009, 04:38 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

I painted my stamp room red...oh it's wonderful!!!!!!!!!!

For me, I have a very large room, a very large window, all white trim as well as white cupboards and shelves. The floor is light hardwood. The lighting is great. There really isn't a lot of red wall colour after it's been put together.

My stamping/scrapping buddies all enjoy the room, it's very bright.

Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2009, 04:59 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

I just moved/redid my studio. I too have a fairly large room with vaulted ceilings and lots of natural light. I choose to leave my walls white. Partly because I'm lazy and didn't feel like getting on a ladder to cut in the new color at the 14" apex of the ceiling, LOL. But also partly because I change my mind often. Right now my room is white cabinets and counters with pink accents. But by changing out a few boxes and decorations, my room can be any color I want it to be.

Really think through the things you will be doing and storing. What looks cute and what is functional are not always the same. I have kitchen base cabinets with counters along two walls. This allows me to store larger items out of sight but still with easy access. Most of my supplies are in 27 white JetMax cubes on a separate wall. I used a combination of different cubes to store embellishments, paper, stamps, etc. You can see my entire room on my blog in my siggy.

Really think about what you want to do and how you like to do it. Standing vs. sitting. Neatly out of sight vs. out of sight, out of mind. And if money is no object, consider custom cabinets designed specifically for crafting. Good luck and have FUN~!

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2009, 05:06 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

Just checking back in to mention that you inspired me to finally get my rear in gear and do a post about my room! I keep lots within reach, so my desk has a fair amount of storage on it. My blog link is below, just in case you're interested! (And thanks for the inspiration!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2009, 05:16 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennelfView Post
Just checking back in to mention that you inspired me to finally get my rear in gear and do a post about my room! I keep lots within reach, so my desk has a fair amount of storage on it. My blog link is below, just in case you're interested! (And thanks for the inspiration!)
Wow, Jennifer! What a gorgeous room! I'm not sure I'd ever leave, LOL.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2009, 05:45 AM   #11  
BSD
Matboard Maniac

Congratulations on your wonderful project. You mentioned that you haven't found a ribbon solution yet. I also like to use my vertical wall space, and wanted to mount my ribbon storage on the wall. My husband bought 4" pvc pipe and cut it in half for me, we screwed it up in two rows on the wall (we used two 8' pieces, so I have 32' of ribbon storage, two rows of 16'- it is full It is wonderful to be able to see all my ribbon and the best part is that I can pull one roll out at a time and put it back without disturbing the rest. I have them in ROYGBIV order and it also looks great. I know some people have done the same idea with rain gutters. Good luck with everything!
Barb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2009, 05:51 AM   #12  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSDView Post
Congratulations on your wonderful project. You mentioned that you haven't found a ribbon solution yet. I also like to use my vertical wall space, and wanted to mount my ribbon storage on the wall. My husband bought 4" pvc pipe and cut it in half for me, we screwed it up in two rows on the wall (we used two 8' pieces, so I have 32' of ribbon storage, two rows of 16'- it is full It is wonderful to be able to see all my ribbon and the best part is that I can pull one roll out at a time and put it back without disturbing the rest. I have them in ROYGBIV order and it also looks great. I know some people have done the same idea with rain gutters. Good luck with everything!
Barb
Do you have a pic of this? It sounds gorgeous!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2009, 05:58 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

ah, scrapbook rooms. I share mine with a living room that is never really used. It has a large couch, and a rocking recliner. I so wish I could get rid of the couch - then I would have more room I actually have TOOO much stuff - really - and need to purge what I know I will never use, but thought I would 7 years ago when I started.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2009, 09:01 AM   #14  
Embossing Fanatic

I used a 12 foot piece of gutter for my ribbon storage. I cut it in half (with kitchen scissors) to two 6 foot sections. Then bought caps for all four ends and mounted them on the wall above my counter space. LOVE IT
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2009, 09:14 AM   #15  
Embossing Fanatic

Default ribbon storage with gutters

Tips and Tricks for Your Craft (or Stamping) Room-dsc00284.jpg
hopefully that worked
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2009, 03:20 PM   #16  
BSD
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jane DView Post
Do you have a pic of this? It sounds gorgeous!
I can try, not my area of expertise. It does look very similar to the post above this one (I don't have the pegboard
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2009, 05:31 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

I stamp in my office too...Nude is the color of my walls and the double closet doors have been replaced with lace panels I pull back...I have 12' ceiling and have 6' wide shelves all the way to the top of the closet...I also have a white 3' wide x 6' high 2 door cupboard, then my L-shaped desk (from the cabinet shop in town, they make them cheap) and a 4' shelf over part of the desk...

Everything has a place or a container that it goes into...storage is a must and keep it afforadable by thinking outside the *scrapbook* line...check Wal-Mart, kitchen stores and the dollar stores!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2009, 05:42 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 172 Likes on 128 Posts

`````````````````````````````````````````````````i would put thought in how you wa`nt` `to store such things as
button,etc
pencils,
stencils-i use alot of brass stencils
mounted & unmounted stamps
cello bags,etc
paper all types & sizes

i `use photo boxes till i decide on my final method```````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````````````````````````````````````
go slow-less holes in your walls!```````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````
h`op`e you post photos when done``````````````````````````````````````
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2009, 05:43 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 172 Likes on 128 Posts

`````````````````````````````freak`in' things happening here
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2009, 05:46 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Default Love the peg board

Wow - you truly do have a lot of ribbon! Thanks for sharing this idea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caspers mamaView Post
Attachment 158807
hopefully that worked
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2009, 05:49 PM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Default Moved here from California

Small world isn't it. I moved here from California...in both our cases there was a weather adjustment - but I LOVE WASHINGTON State and I'll never leave. Smiles and Hi back!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdodd00View Post
Will have to give this some thought, but just had to take a minute to say "small world"...we moved to AZ from Sammamish, WA about 9 years ago. My daughters graduated from Eastlake HS. Useless information for your question, but had to say "hi"!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2009, 05:50 PM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Default Red

I'm hoping to visit somebodies red room first - before I buy the paint to see if I can experience what you are referring to. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristaTracyView Post
I want to chime in on the red color too. I stamp in my dining room, which is red. The color is nice for eating, but really sucks the light out of the room for stamping. I generally use my OTT light whenever I stamp (even on a sunny day), but it can tough for everyone when I have classes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2009, 07:16 PM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Best storage I have ever bought-Cropper Hopper vertical storage for the paper & stickers, and an AMM tote for my tools that I keep on my desk at my right hand. I don't have many stamps yet, so i have no advise on those. Also highly recommend a magnifying lamp, it really helps my eyes, which seem older than I am.

Color is a personal choice, and the person that said colors look different in different light was spot on. I have a very bright blue called Utah Sky. My room is cheery even on rainy days. I know for some people it is too blue, but I love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2009, 10:28 PM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

I just did my room about 4 months back. It's awesome!

Something that works well for me; use the underside of your shelving too. Add hooks and rails from Ikea. Or add magnetic bars underneath. Great way to hang Stickles upside down.

I also made a magnetic board and framed it like a picture, (it's about 2 feet by 3 feet), I have lots of little magnetic based spice pots with embellies stored.

Don't forget a cork board and white board. Great for ideas when you can't get to it right away. I found I was starting to get too many littles notes laying around and then I would lose them.

I really need open space, not only to work but to have my supplies in my view. I find I use so many different things than I used too.

...and most of all, super lighting!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2009, 04:35 AM   #25  
Kookie Creator

I tried so many times to find the best ribbon storage for me.... I finally did and I couldn't be happier! This is a picture of the organizer they have at http://www.clipitup.com/ribbon.html.... I have never regretted getting mine.

BTW Jennifer your room is amazing.... If it was mine nobody would ever see me again!

Last edited by Stamp Happy Susie; 08-25-2009 at 04:37 AM.. Reason: to add a more direct link
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2009, 04:52 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I have thought about some of these things - but if I let my ribbon "hang" my cats would have them EVERYWHERE!

They jump up on certain shelves as it is - and just knock everything down.

I love my kitties - and my 1 wittle dogger
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2009, 07:33 PM   #27  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I know what you mean, I have two cats....so they would have to hang very high! Smiles.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2009, 07:36 PM   #28  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Jennifer your space is truly unbelievable!!! I love it. My space is about half the size - but there are great ideas on your blog that helped me a lot. TFS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2009, 08:49 PM   #29  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I got a really neat tip from a co-worker today. Watch out for ribbon and paper that is exposed to the sunlight. For instance, if you have something on the wall that is directly in front of the window. Sunlight can fade color over time. I also found out that sunlight can damage certain rubber stamps - so if they are out - turn them so the rubber part is not facing the sun light.

Interesting kinda scientific tip. Smiles.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2009, 11:01 PM   #30  
Compulsive Stamper

You guys all have Great ideas!!
Jenn~ Your room is Amazing!!! I love the layout and all the white! Mine is about half that size, but someday.......... ;)
I am currently in the process of re organizing my stamp-space too! For my ribbon I had my husband make me a shelf and he put 3 pieces of dowling on it so I can fit all my spools on it... He also made me an ink pad shelf that holds 64 pads! I love it! I will come back and post some pics when I get done cleaning it,,, I usually re organize and move things around every 6 mos or so lol, so I have a few more things I want to change before its photographable!(is that even a word??haha)
Thanks for sharing all your ideas !!
Amy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2009, 11:40 PM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

When we move 2 years ago my only request was that I have my OWN room (Hubby couldn't put ANYTHING in it) I LOVE MY ROOM...not only can I go there to craft to my hearts delite, I also can go there when I need some down time. I made my room white with red accents. I found that the more I can see my stuff the more I use it. Also I like to put little fun things in my room, friends are all the time bringing me things for my room. I hope your room brings you as much pleasure as mine has. (I LOVE the gutter ribbon holder, if only I had more wall space!) I can't let my 2 kittens in my room, they think they are in kitty disneyland.

Last edited by anitawill1; 08-28-2009 at 11:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2009, 05:57 AM   #32  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

LOL I know what you mean by Kitty disneyland...my little Coal looks at me so sad when I don't let her play with my ribbons....oh well I do buy her a lot of toys too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2009, 06:07 AM   #33  
Insane Embellisher

Jennifer your space is lovely! My room is about 1/2 that size but with the amount of junk I have crammed in here it looks to be about 1/4 of that size. This thread has inspired me to clean it out!

Thanks - I think
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2009, 06:40 AM   #34  
Polyshrink Goddess

I too love your room Jennifer. I am in the process of redoing a room in our downstairs. I was supposed to have a corner of one of the rooms we are doing,but ended up getting an entire room instead since I have so much "stuff". My husband is grouting the tile in the room tomorrow and we have to finish sheet rocking and taping it. Then I can paint it. I love reading post and seeing everyone elses rooms and how they store things. It is giving me alot to think about. I will post pictures on my blog when it is all done. Keep all those ideas and pictures coming!!!!

Gail

www.gailscraftcorner.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2009, 09:11 AM   #35  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Well we are pretty much still arguing about the red walls....another consideration is a soft peach or friendly orange with green or red assossories. But I finalized the layout (mostly IKEA stuff) I attached a picture of the layout (I don't have the luxury of a large room - this is an office turned craft for me), and the iMac station I'm hoping to incorporate somehow for my iMac. Thanks to EVERYONE for your helpful comments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2009, 09:54 AM   #36  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Default Attachments Mentioned

Sorry I was looking for an attach file button and there isn't one. So I published a link to the pictures:

http://web.me.com/amagnogordon/Site/...oom_Plans
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2009, 10:26 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennelfView Post
This has to be the epitome of stamp rooms -- really one of the loveliest I've seen. I can imagine all my stuff in there! And I think it'd be a joy to work in. Congrats on the great space!! (p.s. I have a much smaller space but still fly around in my wheeled chair, too ;) )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2009, 06:04 PM   #38  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Default Sunlight means drawers

Because of the fact that sunlight can fade colors - do you splitcoaststampers think that all paper and rubber stamps should be in an enclosed drawer?

Quote:

Originally Posted by girlgeek101View Post
I got a really neat tip from a co-worker today. Watch out for ribbon and paper that is exposed to the sunlight. For instance, if you have something on the wall that is directly in front of the window. Sunlight can fade color over time. I also found out that sunlight can damage certain rubber stamps - so if they are out - turn them so the rubber part is not facing the sun light.

Interesting kinda scientific tip. Smiles.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2009, 06:23 PM   #39  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by girlgeek101View Post
Sorry I was looking for an attach file button and there isn't one. So I published a link to the pictures:

http://web.me.com/amagnogordon/Site/...oom_Plans.html
I don't think your Imac station is odd at all. I use the same glass Ikea table top (but a different pattern, mine says love in lots of different languages with white legs) in my studio.

Here's a link to see it in action in a craft room...

P8150406.jpg

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2009, 09:15 AM   #40  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

BABYDAL57: I LOVE YOUR ROOM!!! I was considering the Jet Mex cubes too. Do they work well for you. Like I said - I love your room - and it's doble, organized, and clean! Thanks for sharing this!
Reply With Quote Likes