Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Sewing On Cards (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/sewing-cards-557789/)

HeatherN_WA 07-17-2012 06:50 PM

Sewing On Cards

I like the look of stitching on cards, but I've never done it. Are there any tips or tricks to using a sewing machine to sew on paper?

RiverIsis 07-17-2012 08:23 PM

This tutorial series by GinaK should help you get started - Janome Sew Mini Sewing Machine Part 1 - Setup - YouTube

HeatherN_WA 07-18-2012 07:19 AM

Thank you, Kristen! I will go check that out.

veggiegirlRD 07-18-2012 07:23 AM

subbing, was also looking for something like this! thanks

RiverIsis 07-18-2012 07:23 AM

It's what I used! If you have sewn before it is just getting over the fear factor. Oh and keep the glue/tape away from where you are going to sew so you don't gum up your machine.

MichelleO 07-18-2012 11:38 AM

I sew on just about every card and project I do. Just doesn't feel finished unless I do.

My advise -

Decide how much you plan on doing it. If just trying it out or only once in a while then don't spend a ton on a machine. Try garage sales or Salvation Army. I had in the closet a old cheap singer. It broke after a couple of months. (more to fix than buy new) I then purchased a cheap brother, broke after a year or so. Then I got my Janome. (full size) I think it was around $350 on sale. All metal gears unlike the others which are all plastic. I have been using it for I think 4 or 5 years. LOVE it. Don't have as many stitches as the other machines but really how many do you use?

Someone told me to use a denim needle in the beginning. So I do. Don't know if it helps but that is what I use.

Stay away from sewing over glue or adhesive - really messes up your needle.

Dust it out once in a while. Paper looses fiber when sewing and it builds up on and in the machine. I really should take mine in and get it professionally cleaned, but I fear not having it for even a day. LOL

Have fun with it! Really does add a fun texture to your work.

Hope those help :)

mcschmidty 07-18-2012 05:28 PM

Sewing on cards

I wrote a tutorial on this topic- here is the link- it is posted on my blog and on Crafters Digital Art Center......

Here is the link- it talks about the basics- needles, threads and simple tips on starting to sew- straight lines, turning corners......

HTH

Shelly

mcschmidty 07-18-2012 05:31 PM

Trying again- THIS is the link for the sewing Turorial

Sorry about that

Shelly

HeatherN_WA 07-18-2012 07:22 PM

Thank you, MichelleO, that does help. I've been sewing for years, on fabric, and my machine broke about a year ago. I just got a new one, and I was thinking about sewing on my cards as well as fabric. I think I will keep a seperate needle just for paper.

Do you keep the feed dogs up, just like you would with fabric? Do you sew on fabric with your same machine or do you use a seperate machine for papercrafting?

Mindykid 07-19-2012 05:24 AM

Tricia does a lot of sewing on cards - and they are lovely!

... Simply Stamping ...

Cook22 07-19-2012 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherN_WA (Post 19564398)
Thank you, MichelleO, that does help. I've been sewing for years, on fabric, and my machine broke about a year ago. I just got a new one, and I was thinking about sewing on my cards as well as fabric. I think I will keep a seperate needle just for paper.

Do you keep the feed dogs up, just like you would with fabric? Do you sew on fabric with your same machine or do you use a seperate machine for papercrafting?

Yes, keep the feed dogs up.
I use a separate machine - but primarily because I sew downstairs and craft upstairs, and while it's easy to keep a machine out upstairs, I have to put it away after each use when I'm working downstairs. Since I always cleaned it regularly, I wasn't too concerned about using the same machine for both, although I did keep separate needles for paper.
While I did occasionally sew on cards when I really wanted the look, since DH talked me into buying a (blush, 3rd) sewing machine in a discount store, I sew on my cards a LOT more.

2CuteCats 07-19-2012 07:56 AM

subbing

HeatherN_WA 07-19-2012 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindykid (Post 19565049)
Tricia does a lot of sewing on cards - and they are lovely!

... Simply Stamping ...

Thanks, I will check those out.

Sabine, your DH is a keeper! ;)

HeatherN_WA 07-19-2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcschmidty (Post 19564135)
Trying again- THIS is the link for the sewing Turorial

Sorry about that

Shelly

I missed this the first time around, what a fabulous tutorial. THANK YOU!

2CuteCats 07-20-2012 04:30 AM

Happy Friday everyone! :grin: :grin: :grin:

mcschmidty 07-20-2012 04:40 PM

Thanks Heather! I think it is very worthwhile to think about the materials you are using and then it makes more sense. I just love the look of sewing on cards!

Beate 07-22-2012 04:31 AM

I sew on my cards all the time. I had been a quilter before I stamped and I use the same machine, the same thread tension and the same needle as when sewing on fabric. I don't do anything different when sewing on paper then when I sewed fabric.

HeatherN_WA 07-22-2012 06:53 PM

Thank you, Beate. My new machine just came last week. I think I'm ready to try it out.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-SgSto4DLry...w/s320/010.JPG

As soon as I figure out how. :rolleyes: I've never had a computerized sewing machine before. :confused:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-6PX-wUnAf_...Y/s320/009.JPG