Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Sentiment or not? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/sentiment-not-620033/)

LDL 09-08-2017 06:08 AM

Sentiment or not?

can anyone give me insight on this? Do any of you make cards without a sentiment of any kind on the front? If so, do you leave the inside without one also, or add on there? Thanks.

JBgreendawn 09-08-2017 06:39 AM

It depends, sometimes I make a card to play around with a technique not with a specific person in mind to gift it to, so that card could very well have no sentiment on the front until I am ready to use it.

99% of all my cards are blank inside because, I tend to write notes there. but, I have started picking up some sentiments to use on insides and again it depends on how it will be used.

I donate and sell some cards too and most if not all of those are blank inside.

There really are no stamping police, you can do what you want to do with your art :) Hope this helps, & Welcome here!

wavejumper 09-08-2017 09:41 AM

Welcome LDL.

I totally agree with Stacy. I could have both outside and inside, esp for holidays when I am sending a lot so if I can stamp and just sign it, makes life easy.

Cook22 09-08-2017 10:15 AM

I normally stamp something on the inside unless I'm using it more as a notecard. On the front - it depends on whether it suits the card! When my sister used to sell my cards, she said ones with sentiments sold better, but that's a different ballgame. Do what works for you is the bottom line, really.

gregzgurl 09-08-2017 02:34 PM

If I feel that a sentiment would enhance the design of the card front (or, at least, not detract from it), then I may put a sentiment on there. I'm about evenly split on stamping the inside - depends on where it's going and why. Like the others have said - no rules, just do what you feel...

cardmaker2 09-08-2017 03:51 PM

99% of the time I stamp a sentiment on the front. It looks unfinished to me if it doesn't say anything! If nothing else, I use 'just for you ' because it can be for any occasion. I also hardly ever stamp anything on the inside. I do sell cards and leave them blank unless someone especially asks for a message inside. And I write enough personally that I need all the space haha!

Hoboken Paper 09-09-2017 06:29 AM

It's funny because I purchase cards without sentiments, but when I make cards I almost always use a sentiment on the front.

I have plenty of stamps that just say "Hello" or something similarly generic.

Allistamps123 09-10-2017 12:12 AM

I always stamp one on the inside. I sometimes have one on the front, sometimes not.

TeeGeeDee 09-10-2017 08:21 AM

If making cards for someone else to give, a sentiment goes on the outside. If possible, there might be a coordinating sentiment on the inside too. Sometimes I make an exception if the design is "artsy" or an image that the recipient really loves (I've framed cards if I really like the image but only if there wasn't a sentiment on the front).

For the cards that are from me, it depends on design, time, recipient, how much space I need for my handwritten sentiment, etc.

BohemianBelle 09-11-2017 01:06 PM

I have to admit that many times I use sentiments because they just fill up space nicely. I personally love one-word sentiments, though (like "Believe" for Christmas, as an example). Sentiments can also add some nice 'bling' to your card, of course... as in glitter or metallics. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I see sentiments as more of a design element than a 'message'. The important stuff, I hand-write inside the card. I hope this makes sense.

vdoyle8 09-12-2017 12:32 PM

I usually have a sentiment on the outside of my card - like 95% of the time. Rarely do I stamp a sentiment on the inside. I don't know why - guess I like to write notes ;-)

jeanne3579 09-13-2017 07:04 AM

If the card I'm making is for a specific person for a specific occasion it always has a greeting somewhere. If the stamped design on the front works with a sentiment, then it will go there and then it will be blank on the inside, unless on those rare occasions that the greeting is continued on the inside. If the greeting doesn't "work" on the outside and the card is going to someone for a specific occasion, I stamp it on the inside. If it is not going to anyone special and I have no occasion for the card, it will have a lovely generic sentiment/greeting on the front, if the design demands it. If not, the card remains blank and both kinds will go into my stash for another time, to be stamped or left blank depending on the need.