Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-03-2005, 01:30 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sending cards you didn't make...?

Does anyone send cards they didn't make? I know I have a lot of cards from swaps and such (as I'm sure most other people do too!) and I don't know if I should send them or not...I do like to keep them as examples for future reference and if I send them, then I'll lose examples!

All of my cards are stamped on the back with a "handmade by" stamp and then my "trademark" stamp, which is a very elaborate "G". Most of the cards I have are blank on the back and I would probably leave them that way, seeing as I didn't make them.

Is it okay to do this and let people think you made them or am I worrying over something that doesn't really matter and should just be quiet now!??

eta: I guess I just feel guilty passing off other people's work as my own, knowing how much thought and time goes into each creation...
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2005, 01:50 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have a handful of cards that were a hostess gift from my demonstrator. She stamped her Handstamped by.... with her name on the back so there is no question that I didn't make the card I also have some swap cards that I have used as well. I don't put my own "handstamped by" on it, I just leave it blank if I use the card. I guess I am not too worried about whether or not the recipient thinks I made it or not...? If they commented on it I would be sure to say that I got the card in a swap. Just my 2 cents
Isaiah 40:31
check this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2005, 01:52 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Hi there!

I know that personally, I have a hard time sending cards I didn't make. Cards I get for swaps I keep for reference and inspiration.

I did receive about 12 handmade cards from my Secret Sister, and I'll use those, but will leave them blank on the back. That way, anyone who knows me will know I didn't make the card.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2005, 01:57 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Why not? That's what you're doing when you send a Hallmark card!

If it really bugs you, you could always write something like "the design of this card may not be mine, but the wonderful wishes inside are!" Well, that sounds really cheesy, but you get the idea.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2005, 03:04 PM   #5  
Inking Addict

I had a bunch of really nice cards made by other stampers that I have saved. Then I realized that I had to clean out, so when a friends asked to buy cards from me (I didn't want to do this), I gave her the cards and said, "I can't sell them because I didn't make them". She was happy and I was happy -win/win.

I also cleared out a number of cards that I made by sending them to some of the ladies that collect cards for military men to send to their own families.

~Nancy~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2005, 05:43 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4d
Why not? That's what you're doing when you send a Hallmark card!

If it really bugs you, you could always write something like "the design of this card may not be mine, but the wonderful wishes inside are!" Well, that sounds really cheesy, but you get the idea.
I think that's a really cute idea!
And by the way, Rachel - as a small hijack - thanks for being so logical! I've noticed in a number of your posts that I agree with you 100%.

My gallery
My blog!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2005, 05:49 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't always send cards someone else sends me but once in a while I do. If their "mark" is on the back, great; if not, I certainly don't put mine on it because I didn't make it. "Let your conscience be your guide" -- who said that??

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2005, 06:35 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I agree...if it's mine, I put 'my mark' but certainly leave it blank if I didn't make it. I sort of wish a trend would start where we'd 'leave our mark' on the back of cards we swap for swaps....that way if we want to use them, it will be legit as to who made it. Credit given where it's due. Plus, I like seeing everyone else's mark! One thing I do is scan into the computer the cards I get for swaps, or from others, then I'll always have it as a reference and if I want to send the real card sometime down the road...I'll still have the sample saved on the computer to go back to for ideas.

Even in the longest day, life is still short.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2005, 08:07 PM   #9  
Glitter Queen

my upline from SU cuts the folded cards into front cards then glues the front card onto another colored folded cardstock. You don't see the "hand stamp by". That way she gets use her current / retired samples and sends to family & friends.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2005, 09:13 PM   #10  
Kookie Creator

I have started to use some of the cards from my swaps. With digital cameras so convenient, take a photo of the card before sending it and you always have the design saved!!! I have started to take photos of cards that I have sent to relatives so that I don't make and send a similar card to the same person!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2005, 09:23 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

If the recipient asks if you made the card, let them know you got it in a swap, from a fellow stamper, etc. Just one more excuse to talk about all the bennies of stampin' (& being a demo!!!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2005, 05:16 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Smile

When I send these to family and friends, I just let them know that these are cards I received in a swap, and then I explain that a swap is to get ideas for cards and to get more cards to send! I also send many cards to critically ill children, their parents, and siblings through www.hugsandhope.org and to do this I often cut off the front of a stamped card and glue it to a new back. My stamping friends are pleased when I tell them that the cards they've sent me have been "recycled" and sent to someone who needs a little cheer through the mail. My friends are happy to know that the cards they sent to me have passed on to make another person smile.

Amy J. in Wisconsin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2005, 05:27 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

I usually pick out 10 or 12 swap cards and giftwrap them with envies and give them as gifts. I let the recipient know that they were made by people all over the country (or world) and that the top one is from me. They seem to appreciate it, especially my older aunts and mom who don't have experience with the e-world.

SU addict? I don't have a problem. I can stamp - oops, I mean stop - whenever I want to!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2005, 05:40 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

The cards I get from swaps I keep for inspiration. I store them in a photo box and use the index cards to catalog them. They are divided into Birthday, Sympathy, Holiday, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2005, 05:47 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

If it is a beautiful card I have no problem sending it - since I made one to trade for the one I received! If I need a card for an event and it fits I send it.
I used to keep all of them for examples, but then realized that I have hundreds of them so now after Rox's example I am getting them ready to send off to people who need them - Kieki's cards, Love Letters, cards for the troops...
We also had a grant last year where we went into the schools and the elementary kids made cards for kindness and we are putting them in the local buisnesses this week and people can take the hand made card and send it off - we are not charging for the cards they are a RAK
I am excited that I can hlep make someone happy with all these cards!

The lesson from Charlie Brown: The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones that care.
Reply With Quote Likes