Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-05-2005, 04:18 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Selling your cards

I have always thought about selling some of my cards. We had a silent auction at the hospital where I am a nurse and my manager and I put together a basket with over 80 different types of stamped cards, envelopes, a book of stamps, address book and pens. One of the doctors was the top bidder at around $60. He is now interested in having me make some cards for him...how do you charge if you have ever done this. Do you charge by the card or by the dozen? Just curious, I think he is probably interested in Christmas and Thank you cards right now.
Thanks
Nancy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2005, 05:45 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

You might be able to get more in your area than here, but I sell mine for $2.00 each. I love stamping, so feel that I am getting paid something for doing something fun! If a person buys 12 or more from me at a time, I stamp a topper for a cello bag or a matching handled bag with a tag to put the cards in for free. The money I get goes right back into buying SU stuff.

I do computer labels for the backs of the cards with my little "business" name, + stamp the copyright stamp from SU. Gets me more business sometimes! I have an on going order book that my customers can order from. I number my cards, so they just have to order by number. Every time I make a card I make 4 extra to sell and one for the book. I think I have pics I could email you if you are interested. I can't upload any here on SCS right now, as the program isn't working right, but I think I have some pics already taken.
HTH.

Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2005, 05:57 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I would like to know more about this. This is something I too would like to do. How did you go about setting up which stamp sets you decided to use? How did you get started with your book? How is your book set up? What are you using to hold your cards in the book? On average, how many cards get ordered per month? What is the largest number of cards you have ever made for an individual order? Do you find yourself making several of the same kind (like a Christmas card and/or thank you card)? If so, what is the max number you have made at one time? Do you use stamps from other companies as well as SU stamps?

Could you email the pictures of your book to me? I am hoping to be able to start something like this because I think this would help me support my stamping addiction.

My email is [email protected]

Sue

Work in progress - 27lbs gone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2005, 07:18 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Location: Canadian prairie girl, lost in all the wind and snow!

My friend and I have been talking about selling cards at craft fairs or what have you. She has never made a card but has seen some of mine. Now that I am an su demo I can get the stuff to make the cards cheaper then if I was a customer. I would like to see your book of cards too.

I wonder if it would be a worthwhile thing to get into.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2005, 09:38 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've done this for some women at my mom's office and I charged $15 for 10 cards ($1.50 each); individual cards would be $1.75. I make a box to hold them using 12 x 12 cardstock (similar to StarLitStudio's 6 card holder) and stamp it. I should charge more, I know, but I'm just so glad I'm selling cards!

I would go with $2 each or maybe a little less if he's ordering a lot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2005, 10:20 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

I a flat $2 per card as well.

A few other things that have worked for me.............

1. I have one 'customer' ( a financial planner; the husband of one of my co-workers). He likes doing fall cards for all his customers (about 200). I have him look at 5-8 'samples' and then he picks from there. Works out well!
(big orders like that..........I have them do 1/2 down so I can buy appropriate supplies). Note: His huge order has generated a few other 'customers' because they knew and liked the handmade card they received!

2. I have two other customers who works in the business world. They each just want an assortment ON HAND so that when they need a card for a customer, they can quickly pick from their 'stash.' They like most blank, with a few sympathy, baby, etc. I just keep each of them stocked (with about 25/each). Every other month, they send me a check for what they used.
(It is the 'honor' system here, but I trust both and it works well).

fyi--------just a few ideas on selling!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2005, 03:36 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

I sell my cards for $2.00 each or 10 for $15.00. The 10 for $15.00 have to be purchased at the same time. I also make larger cards aprox. 5" x 7 1/2" and charge $4.00 each (they sell well when a lot co-workers need to sign Sympathy or Wedding cards).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2005, 04:15 PM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Did Craft Fair Today - No Sales

I did a craft fair today with a friend - no sales, but lots of lookie-loos. There were the that's cute or what a cute idea. I have also put my cards - samples - in 6x6 scrapbooks and attached letter-number (ie -A1) identifiers to the page and passed them around at my job as well as my husband's. I have one teacher who has ordered some and most I have already made up. I have done a flyer for my husband to to pass out to the people he works with - maybe some orders from there. I have my cards priced from $1.25 to $2.50 depending of the complexity and embellishment of the card. A nicely done card with some cute embellishing (fibers, brads, eyelets, etc) is worth more and people are usually willing to pay for that. I love my stamping, but would love to make some extra $$$$ from it.

Roberta

I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2005, 05:14 PM   #9  
Inking Addict

Has anyone tried to sale some in a store? Like if they would let you have a display there with cards & prices. If so how do you do it and how does it work.

Also how do you decide what kind of cards to do? Do you make a bunch of the same kind on one day and then some of another on another day?

I have thought about selling cards too and have been wondering how to go about doing this. How long after you first started making cards did you start to sale them? I am kind of new at doing cards and feel like I need to get better at it before I can start.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2005, 05:34 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

Amy, you can't sell in a store. Against SU policy. I just sell out of my home, with customers coming to look through my books. They order what they want, and I make them up. HTH

Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2005, 05:41 PM   #11  
Inking Addict

What if they aren't SU stamps like Hero Arts and I can't remember what other brands some of stamps are.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2005, 07:13 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by amyjoy
What if they aren't SU stamps like Hero Arts and I can't remember what other brands some of stamps are.
Hero Arts restricts their images even more than SU! does. I don't think they allow anything made with their images to be sold, or if they do there's a limit on the total number of items you can sell.

There is a website out there somewhere that lists the Angel Policies of all the different stamp companies.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2005, 08:35 PM   #13  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Most stamp companies have their Angel Policy somewhere on their website, you have to dig to find them, but they are usually accessible.

This is Hero Arts Angel Policy:

All of our stamp designs are original artwork created and copyrighted by Hero Arts. Thus, Hero Arts stamps are for personal and non-commercial use only. However, our valued stampers may use our products to produce any creations they would like, which can include selling or otherwise distributing these creations in limited quantities.

All commercial use of our designs is subject to the following terms and conditions:
  1. All stamp impressions must be made by hand and no mechanical or other form of reproduction is permitted.
  2. Quantities are limited to projects that are limited in scope, local in nature, and otherwise do not constitute an ongoing business. Additionally, quantities for commercial use are generally allowed if they are in the range of 50 handstamped impressions per stamp image. The production of much larger numbers, and/or for an ongoing business, and/or for an endeavor that is not local in nature, is forbidden.
  3. Wherever possible, Hero Arts Trademarks and Copyrights should be displayed.
To use our images for this purpose, simply send or e-mail us a letter acknowledging you agree to the above terms, and include the following information:
  • Your name and contact information
  • A list of the Hero Arts products you plan to use
  • The quantities you anticipate producing
  • An acknowledgment that you "Agree to respect Hero Arts copyrights."
Send, email or fax the request to:
Hero Arts Rubber Stamps
1343 Powell St.
Emeryville, CA 94608
FAX: 510-653-8620
[email protected]

Submitting this written letter grants you a limited license to use our images as you like within the terms outlined above. We appreciate your consideration of our copyrights.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2005, 08:53 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4d
Hero Arts restricts their images even more than SU! does. I don't think they allow anything made with their images to be sold, or if they do there's a limit on the total number of items you can sell.

There is a website out there somewhere that lists the Angel Policies of all the different stamp companies.

I just found that website. I think it must have all stamp suppliers listed, its sooo long. http://www.littlebit.com/angelList/a...policyonly.htm
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 06:14 PM   #15  
Embossing Fanatic

Thank you so much for the Angel list it was a big help to me.
I have decided that i am going to make cards to sell to fellow church members and I am going to donate 40% of my sales to our church. I plan to sell my cards for $2 each.
Reply With Quote Likes