Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-17-2008, 03:51 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling in Gift Shops

Does anyone have any advice on how to sell items in gift shops? There are a few small gift shops around here that I think would be perfect places for handmade cards and gifts...just wondering how to "break in" to the market...

TIA!!

Yep, me and Nutswithtwins are BFF's.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2008, 04:25 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 431 Likes on 164 Posts

Apparently, you make arrangements to see the manager. Then just go in and show them what you have. The worst they can say is that they are not interested. I've also gone in to church bookstores which is another marketing area you might consider.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2008, 04:35 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Location: I'm actually lost... if you find me, could you let me know where I am??

I'm glad you asked that question... I've been wondering the same thing! Another question is, do you pay them a "commission" or do they get a percentage of the sales?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2008, 05:14 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

You should have a portfolio of what it is you want to sell to show the manager. You'll need some kind of a business card or flyer with all your contact information. Also, you need to know how you much you want to get paid for each product. Do you want to work on consignment or get paid up front for the products? (I would prefer paid up front)
Good luck!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2008, 07:13 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sell my collage pieces in a shop (I know the owners so that part was easy). I just take in what I have to sell and keep a list of it all, then check in periodically and take home stuff that hasn't sold in awhile and get paid (either a check or sometimes I "cash it in" for store credit) for what has sold.

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2008, 02:45 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks for the ideas...i hadn't though of church bookstores, but i could definitely see that as being a good place. I was thinking about giving a "sample set" to the store owner to put out and see how they sell, then if they sell well, work out a contract with them to buy more...think that would work?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2008, 03:04 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Sorry for hijacking...didn't want to start a whole new post and this question may help the original poster?

When you say portfolio what do you mean? I mean know what a portfolio is, but have never seen one for handmade cards etc! What kind of folder do you have? Do you have the actual cards in there or photos of them?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2008, 06:23 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

I would assume a portfolio could contain either actual samples or photos--maybe a nice combo of both. Maybe organized according to projects, like a section for cards, a section for gifts, a section for invitations, whatever. Your portfolio could probably be as creative as you'd want it to be! I would probably have it bound (spiral or comb binding) at my local office supply store to make it extra professional looking.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2008, 07:20 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

My friend owns our LSS here in town, so I brought about 25 cards down there to sell, and they really didn't go so hot. I just went down the other day and pulled them all; I think about 1/3 of them actually sold. I'm not sure if it was the crappy economy right now, or if our town is too small and she just didn't get enough business.

I had her charge $3 per card and then she gave me $2 back on consignment. That way she didn't have to pay me up front for all those cards. I realize that's a high profit margin for her, but we're friends and she was kind enough to get a display for the cards and everything.

Also, I made a coordinating stamped envelope to go with each card and put both the card and the envelope into a clear translucent envelope packaged together. Then, I put an envelope seal on the clear envelope so no one could tear it open without me knowing. Sneaky, I know.....hehe

I also put a label on the outside that read "Blank Inside" or "Sentiment inside reads........" That way, people know what's in it without having to handle the card. I find that people are very careless if they know they aren't going to buy something.

At least now I have my cards back in perfect condition, and I can sell some, and give some away as gifts.

HTH!
My Etsy Shop!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2008, 08:17 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenrnView Post
My friend owns our LSS here in town, so I brought about 25 cards down there to sell, and they really didn't go so hot. I just went down the other day and pulled them all; I think about 1/3 of them actually sold. I'm not sure if it was the crappy economy right now, or if our town is too small and she just didn't get enough business.

I had her charge $3 per card and then she gave me $2 back on consignment. That way she didn't have to pay me up front for all those cards. I realize that's a high profit margin for her, but we're friends and she was kind enough to get a display for the cards and everything.

Also, I made a coordinating stamped envelope to go with each card and put both the card and the envelope into a clear translucent envelope packaged together. Then, I put an envelope seal on the clear envelope so no one could tear it open without me knowing. Sneaky, I know.....hehe

I also put a label on the outside that read "Blank Inside" or "Sentiment inside reads........" That way, people know what's in it without having to handle the card. I find that people are very careless if they know they aren't going to buy something.

At least now I have my cards back in perfect condition, and I can sell some, and give some away as gifts.

HTH!
Just wondering if you did not sell all your cards becuase you had them in an LSS? I am guessing that most people that go to a LSS make paper crafts and therefore could create their own cards? I am sure you would do a lot better if it was a coffee store or something where most of the people shopping cannot make their own cards? Give it a go, maybe you will sell them all!! Thanks for the advice on how you did it though
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2008, 10:19 PM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

My friend owns a gift shop and gets cards from me off and on She buys them outright and I would say that is the ONLY way to go! You don't have to worry about card damage that way. She puts them on the rack just like the other cards. She has also commissioned me to do certain types of cards, like ones that she can't purchase from the regular card lines.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2008, 04:27 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

missjenNHS........I would suggest putting together a portfolio of actual cards you've made in different styles along with the envelopes to match.

If you also want to sell embellished items or items you are creating from scratch, I would have actual examples of those to show a shop owner too.

Pictures are just not going to show the fine detail and craftsmanship of your work. You need to first 'sell' your items to the shop owner so they can judge if those items would sell in their business.

Having a business card with your name and contact information on it would also show your professionalism and that you're serious in this venture. Have your game plan worked out for the cost of the cards and how you expect the shop owner to get something from it.

If this is a first venture for you I would also suggest a time frame for leaving the items up for sale.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2008, 05:05 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

I have found with cards displayed for sale in your local LSS, as someone posted before, the customers can purchase the supplies to make their own if they don't already. So I found when I worked at the local store most people just looked at them for ideas and then went off and made their own without purchasing the handmade ones.

I would also suggest gift stores, coffee shops, smaller newsagencies etc. That is where I have found they have more success as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2008, 05:17 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 431 Likes on 164 Posts

I am signing a contract with a lady who has a shop with booth spaces for $40 a month. I am going to give that a try. She keeps 10% of what she sells, but I am not limited to what I put in. And craft booth spaces go for $25-$50 at the cheapest, so I figure this is not too bad. I'll let you know how that goes. I have made cards for $3, sets of cards for $12, little wall hangings for $3 and $2 magnets. I also am getting some cards made with scripture on them to take into a few local church bookstores. I live in a highly populated area with a lot of ecomically privileged people, so I hope I can tap into that with my one of a kind cards. I just recently retired and I am counting on my cards bringing in some money to supply this ever growing addiction I have for stamps.KWIM?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2008, 05:45 AM   #15  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by JodeneView Post
I have found with cards displayed for sale in your local LSS, as someone posted before, the customers can purchase the supplies to make their own if they don't already. So I found when I worked at the local store most people just looked at them for ideas and then went off and made their own without purchasing the handmade ones.

I would also suggest gift stores, coffee shops, smaller newsagencies etc. That is where I have found they have more success as well.
Good point! I have also heard that cards do well at flower shops, especially Sympathy cards.
My Etsy Shop!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2008, 10:05 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

I've thought about putting 3x3 cards in flower shops that people could pay an extra buck for instead of the standard freebie card that comes with the flowers. I know i would pay an extra buck to have something unique on my flowers...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2008, 03:08 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Another area to tap into for some cards to sell is your local schools. If they do fund raisers you can sell them to the school for a reasonable price and they can turn around and sell them to their customers. I presently supply two swim teams with cards. I make thousands of dollars and the schools do as well. Just an idea.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2008, 03:09 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

oh...I keep tract of how many cards I give to the swim coaches and I only charge them for what they sell. I get the unsold back for another use, maybe a fund raiser the next year or at another event. I package all my cards for sale in a clear envelope with a white or ivory envelope as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2008, 06:13 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

I have my cards in 4 places today. One's a floral shop, one's a craft store, one's a gas station (can you believe it?) and the other is my hairdresser's. I took samples to all of them before putting them there. I purchased card racks (except for my hairdresser's - and which were rather pricey). I charge $3.50 per card. I made sleeves to fit the rack that identify the card, i.e. birthdays, baby, weddings, get well, etc. I keep a list for each place of how many cards I have there (i.e. 12 birthdays, 6 baby, 4 get well) and once a month I go and count. Whatever has sold, I let the owner know and they pay me by check. The floral shop gets 20% of my sales. The other places, I get it all!! Not a bad deal. Sometimes I can sell 20 cards at one place and sometimes nothing anywhere. But I sure have fun doing it!!!! Usually the top 4 slots on the racks are the current holiday - mother's day, graduation, communion, Xmas, etc.

You have to persevere. I went around to tons of places (pop. in my neck of the woods is only 6,000). Some shop owners gave me a flat out no; others wanted a wholesale pricelist (which I have).

Ask if you can leave a basket of cards and see how they go. Most manicurists and hairdressers let you keep a binder in their place, but be sure your wares get noticed. Some tend to put them "under a table" of where a customer can't find them. Be patient. Something will come along - or start with the craft fairs!!!! Good luck. I apologize for this being so loooonnngg.
Reply With Quote Likes