Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Scratch n' Sniff (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/scratch-n-sniff-24954/)

inknrubber 01-19-2005 07:58 PM

Scratch n' Sniff

Alright, I've received a few swaps and never get the chance to find out how to do this.

I think it's a really cool idea to use Kool-Aid and stamping to make your own Scratch n' Sniff.

Does anyone know how? Is it easy?

Thanks, Franchesca

Jovi 01-19-2005 08:07 PM

You just mix it in a small container with clear embossing powder. You can also use coffee grounds, spices........ :wink: I'm sure someone has a list :D

texasjodylynn 01-20-2005 04:01 AM

ratio

What is the ratio of EP to "smelly stuff"? :lol: :lol:

rreinhardt 01-20-2005 04:51 AM

Oooooo...

Details! Details! :D

I've never heard of this and it sounds like fun!

Rebecca

Jovi 01-20-2005 05:23 AM

Quote:

Scratch -n- Sniff
Mix 1 tablespoon clear embossing powder with 1 package Kool Aid (any flavor) Note: if you use grape Kool Aid, your embossed image will be purple and smell like grapes.

Emboss image as usual using the above mixture

I found this off another site :wink:

jenjam 01-20-2005 05:24 AM

This is a cool idea! I saw it in Paper Crafts Magazine a few months back. I have yet to try it, but can't find my heat gun :( Oh well....

I would love to see samples :)

lweller 01-20-2005 05:26 AM

i tried this recently with lemonade kool-aid. I was so excited!!! it embossed fine, but after all was said and done, you couldn't smell the lemonade :( .

I think I also heard to use sugar-free kool-aid, which I didn't do. I'm curious if this makes a difference?

i was successful mixing sand in with my clear embossing powder - that worked great!

love to hear your results.

WLC GRAD 01-20-2005 05:33 AM

My aunt told me about this; she saw it on the carol Duvall show. She does recommend the sugar free kool-aid mix I beleive. If you google her name, you should get right to her show's webpage and the show title has something about ties and then embossed cards and the instructions are right there.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/crafting/ar...399611,00.html

demodarla 01-20-2005 06:01 AM

Scratch 'n Sniff seems to be my signature technique these days. :) I prefer to use sugar free jello-mixes to the kool-aid. The crystals are bigger and I think that helps with the scent. Using sugar free mixes is important because the sugar in other mixes can burn and effect the scent. I've used sugar-free hot cocoa, very fine coffee grounds, and now I'm waiting for powdered vanilla to arrive so I can try that.

Most of the mixes don't have a dramatic color. I either color the image with a marker then color over that with a VersaMarker to make the mix stick or I use colored embossing markers. I prefer this method. Also test on a scrap to determine how the color will turn out. It darkens as it heats.

I'm making scratch 'n sniff cards for regionals. Boy does my stamp room smell good!

Sandybeach 01-20-2005 06:10 AM

No Way! this is so cool Thanks for posting the instructions ladies!

scrapgirl72 01-20-2005 06:55 AM

This sounds wonderful! Thanks for posting the instructions, I'm going to try it this weekend. :D

inknrubber 01-20-2005 07:44 AM

Thanks for all the tips. I'm glad I asked this question. I will be playing with a new technique here today!!

jhattery 01-20-2005 08:02 AM

I did scratch n cniff cards for Leadership this year. I used Grape sugar free koolaid (the sugar burns a little when heated) and I used this ratio:

3 parts embossing powder to
1 part Kool Aid
for instance
3/4 tsp of EP to
1/4 tsp of KoolAid

It worked pretty good and smeeled, I made 100 of htem and if I never smell grape Kool Aid again it will be too soon :) I bet sugar free Jello would also work really good and will try it next time I get the urge

WholeLottaStampinGoinOn 01-20-2005 08:38 AM

Ok, I have a really silly question. When you say sugar free, are you meaning - the kind where you add sugar to it or the actual "sugar free" where it has a sugar substitute in it? :oops:

Thanks for helping me out. I'm little slow. haha

Charlotte

Sandybeach 01-20-2005 09:41 AM

just saw this recipe for scratch & sniff watercolors...

http://www.kidconcoctions.com/main/concoctionotm.asp

lesliemommy 01-20-2005 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WholeLottaStampinGoinOn
Ok, I have a really silly question. When you say sugar free, are you meaning - the kind where you add sugar to it or the actual "sugar free" where it has a sugar substitute in it? :oops:

Thanks for helping me out. I'm little slow. haha

Charlotte

I was wondering the same thing.

nmslmomto3 01-20-2005 12:48 PM

From what I understand it needs to be the sugar free kind, that has the sugar substitute in it. Not just the powder that you add sugar to. I have also used sugar free Jello and that stuff works out GREAT!

nmslmomto3 01-20-2005 12:54 PM

From what I understand it needs to be the sugar free kind, that has the sugar substitute in it. Not just the powder that you add sugar to. I have also used sugar free Jello and that stuff works out GREAT!

KatyLynn 01-20-2005 01:03 PM

I used french vanilla coffee beans, and pounded them with my little hammer. This was cool because it REALLY smelled and it you could really see and feel the texture. I mixed it with UTEE and put it on a tag - I had to do it twice on the tag (versmark it, sprinkle the stuff, heat it) because the beans would sometimes get blown off by the heat gun - but it turned out really neat and yummy smelling!

Mom-of-one 01-20-2005 01:22 PM

:D I KEEP SAYING I AM GOING TO TRY THAT SOME DAY....BUT HAVEN'T - SO I WILL TRY IT THIS WEEKEND!

lesliemommy 01-20-2005 01:41 PM

ohhh, this will be perfect for my sons birthday card next week.

Stacy Hollingsworth 01-20-2005 02:39 PM

I have an example in my gallery of scratch n' sniff - I think you can read the directions on it. It was one of many technique cards in a swap I was in - boy does that card smell good!

Here's the link:
http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.co...cat=500&page=2

Hope this helps!

lbarnes 01-20-2005 02:58 PM

what if you used the reg. kool-aid powder and add nutrasweet? Has any one tried this? Maybe I will! :D

Mom-of-one 01-22-2005 04:34 PM

:( Too lazy to try today......maybe another weekend.

stampinhappy 01-22-2005 04:50 PM

This sounds fun! I think I might have some sugar free jello......I might have to try this tonight after the kids are in bed!!! :lol: