Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-22-2012, 02:12 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm looking to buy a Big Shot today.....

Well, first I'm heading out to a neighborhood-wide yard sale today. Can't wait. And I know for sure that there are a few houses that are having some crafty stuff for sale. I'm looking for Christmas stamps.

Once I'm done there, I'm heading up to Michaels to see if they have any Big Shots or something similar. I will basically only use it for embossing not for die cutting though. So is there a different machine that I should be looking for instead of a Big Shot or do you think that I should just buckle down and buy the Big Shot. MAYBE down the line, I might use it for die cuts but I already own the Cricut and have many carts, so I'm assuming I could find whatever die I want on my carts instead of using the Big Shot. What do you think?

But my original question was going to be....where do you find your embossing folders? I only have a Michaels around me and they really don't have that much of a selection. I am really only looking for Christmas/winter type folders to make my Christmas cards. Any suggestions?

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2012, 04:18 AM   #2  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I love my big shot. It is a great machine, very well built. It is amazing what you can cut out with your big shot...metal, sponges, grunge board, lots of materials!!! And cutting out the different materials would be different than your cricut.
I have a cricut and quite a lot of carts. I do love my cricut but I have to say I use my big shot more. I think the ease of use is what I love about the big shot. Sometimes I just don't want to lug my cricut out. But my big shot is easy as pie!!! Like I said, I do love my cricut for certain projects thought....but I love my big shot more!
Embossing folders are wonderful!!! That is a big plus with the big shot....embossing! So many techniques, so many great ways to use them!!! I have heard you can emboss with the cricut- I tried it without ANY success (turning the blade around). My favorite embossing folders are from Stampin' Up. I love the new chevron one!!! And the snowflake one! So pretty!
I don't think you will regreat buying a big shot at all!!!! Good luck at your sales today!!! Hope you are able to score some goodies!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2012, 05:10 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Hope you find some bargains at your yard sales - you might even strike gold and find a Big Shot or Cuttlebug at one of those houses shifting craft stuff! Look out for embossing folders too if you're going in that direction.

I get most of my folders online as I don't have any local craft supply places. I like the Spellbinder M-bossabilities (they're reversible so you get two designs on one folder), Cuttlebug, Couture Creations and the Tim Holtz ones from Sizzix.

I too love my Big Shot and I have to say that Sizzix provides excellent customer service - my first Big Shot died a fairly spectacular death and they replaced it with no problems at all. My second one has been absolutely fine. I have an electronic cutter and I basically never fire it up. Call me weird but I love the slightly rounded edge you get with a manual machine! Also, with steel rule dies you can cut stuff you can't cut with an electronic machine (Grunge board, mountboard etc).

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2012, 05:21 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Sizzix has a machine called Texture Boutique that just does embossing. I have heard some users can cut Nesties with it.

Here's what it looks like- Sizzix Texture Boutique Embossing Machine Beginner's Kit | Sizzix.com

I have a Cricut too and I really rely on my manual die cutters. I use them to cut heavy materials or specialty items. I still use mulberry paper and I can cut mulberry paper on my manual cutters. Cricut can't cut mulberry paper. I get nicer cutting results with vellum using my Cuttlebug & Big Shot. I use my Big Shot mainly for fabric, plastic canvas. I always call it my needework & fabric machine. I use my Cuttlebug for all my paper projects.

If you think your going to branch out in different paper techniques and tools like Nestabilities then definitely go for the Big Shot. Cuttlebug takes up less space but you will have to buy a C plate to use the thinner dies like Nestabilies. I have one of the older Cuttlebug models that came with a C plate.

You can make your own embossing folders using your Cricut and then use them in your Big Shot. Here's some tutorials on Google- https://www.google.com/search?q=make...ient=firefox-a

You can make your own specialty Christmas embossing folders this way. I buy my embossing folders from the craft stores and occasionally online. I don't have a big selection since I make my own. I don't know any online or brick & mortar stores that would have a varied selection. Hobby Lobby always seems to carry a lot of different folders including their own line.

I just realized I gave you the link how to make embossing folders with the CB. Sorry, I am a little tired. You can substitute Big Shot in the search field instead of Cuttlebug. I learned how to make my own folders using the Cuttlebug first so I have it stuck in my head.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2012, 06:31 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks!!!

I'm back from the yard sales. WOW....was that a crazy experience. They've been doing this neighborhood yard sale for quite some time but this is the second time I've been (other time was a few years ago)

It was total chaos!!! But I did make out with a few stamps sets from one place. I got 4 big Stampin Up background stamps, SU birthday greetings (9pc), SU-Vertical Greetings and 4 loose SU Christmas/winter stamps. Plus 8 SU ink pads for $22. Not bad, I thought. She was asking $5 a set or 3/$10. She had quite a bit too. Selling all her sets. But unfortunately I was just looking for Christmas/winter stuff.

And then I popped over to Michaels and caved.....I bought the Big Kick. I'm assuming (although I could be wrong) that the Big Kick and Big Shot are the same thing? It's all they had. Well, they did have that Texture Boutique thing, but after thinking it over, I decided to splurge on myself and get the Big Kick. Now just to look for some embossing folders. Thanks again.!!!

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2012, 06:44 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Congrats on your bargains!! The Big Kick and Big Shot are the same. I love mine. I buy most of my EF online. CropStop.com and FranticStamper.com carry EF from many different companies. Both have excellent customer service. Enjoy your new toys.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2012, 09:17 AM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to your new obsession/addiction! I love my Big Shot. It's brought a whole new dimension to my crafting!

Look online at the gallery and start to see which EF's attract you (I so appreciate when people take the time to list their supplies very specifically by name and not just type in "embossing folder"). It's hard to tell what EFs look like in cardstock from pictures of the folder. I recently bought one I had passed by in the SU catalogue repeatedly, because I saw a card that used it and fell in love with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2012, 02:59 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a Big Kick too and love it! Another good place to find embossing folders is CreativePlayStamps.com. They have several different companies and good service.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #9  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Great finds!!! Congrats on your Big Kick! You will love it!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2012, 04:15 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Congrats on your Big Kick! Congrats on the great yard sale finds! I would have been so excited to find SU sets. You will have to come back and update when you start buying dies because you will succumb, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes