In the Forums

Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter





Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads


 
Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-10-2019, 06:28 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert
 
Ragtop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Indy, but dreaming of Manhattan
Posts: 2,409
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Scott Publications goes out of business

So I was putting some crafting magazines away (yes, I'm a hoarder but that's a story for another time) and I realized I hadn't received a Just Cards, which I subscribe to, in a while, so I did a Google search. This is what I found:

https://www.woodtv.com/news/target-8...ing/1696711586

So sad all around.
__________________
Regina
I took life by the horns and got gored.
http://www.stampinup.net/esuite/home/reginamoyers
Ragtop is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2019, 03:44 AM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess
 
lutheran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: outside Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 7,439
Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Default

It's sad they closed, I enjoyed their magazines. It is very sad for the subscribers who lost money. I guess I will go to B&N today and buy a magazine just to support the few that are still on the racks.
Mary Beth
lutheran is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2019, 04:35 AM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
 
cnsteele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 4,519
Received 72 Likes on 29 Posts
Default

So the problem wasn't lack of subscribers; it was lack of advertisers. I wonder by how much a magazine subscription would increase as advertising in its pages lessens? I would be willing to pay more for a subscription to much-loved magazines to make up for the lost advertising revenue. I like reading the ads in magazines, though. I learn about and purchase many new products that way.
__________________
Nicole
The Joyful Stamper
cnsteele is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2019, 05:17 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper
 
stampin stacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,537
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

I quit buying stamp magazines years ago when they:

1) got smaller and smaller
2) had fewer and fewer issues
3) and became almost all advertising with very little content except pictures


I still to this day miss sitting down for an afternoon to peruse a new magazine, taking in every bit of its yumminess. A magazine that only take a few minutes and done is hardly worth my time, let alone my $$ though.
stampin stacy is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2019, 07:08 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess
 
rockybeta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 695
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I have a subscription to a magazine that is $12.00 per year.......it started out being published 6 times per year and then went to monthly. On the first renewal date I called and they renewed it at the same rate........they can't be making money from the subscribers at that rate but from advertisers.
rockybeta is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2019, 09:47 AM   #6  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
 
cnsteele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 4,519
Received 72 Likes on 29 Posts
Default

I remember Stampington & Co. magazine subscriptions being more expensive than the norm, but they had no advertising other than for their own products. The magazines were also beautiful and very high-quality. I was so sad when they discontinued Memories, their scrapbooking magazine.
__________________
Nicole
The Joyful Stamper
cnsteele is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2019, 11:55 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer
 
bjeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 6,426
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

For most magazines, a main benefit of subscribers is quantity - the higher the number, the more advertisers will advertise - or will put in larger ads, for example.

That's why some companies - unrelated to crafting - give away subscriptions at no charge.

Years ago Wayfair had a deal with a publisher that all Wayfair customers would get a free magazine subscription. That publishing company could then tell advertisers they had X thousands of subscribers.

There were a lot of complaints, apparently, and they stopped. I complained because the magazines contained perfume samples which mess up my sinuses/breathing, plus we try to reduce recycling (trees)! The publisher informed me that Wayfair was providing the "gift."

Last edited by bjeans; 02-11-2019 at 11:59 AM..
bjeans is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2019, 05:49 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
 
cjzim's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Southwest Michigan
Posts: 30,905
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

It's too bad to see another crafting magazine cease publication. I fondly remember the days I subscribed to The Rubber Stamper, Stamper's Anonymous and Take Ten. It was also fun to occasionally have a card published in the latter two : )
There were other card making mags I subscribed to, as well, but I've forgotten their names. It was always such a treat to see those magazines in the mailbox and anticipate a leisurely couple of hours absorbing all the prettiness!
Times have changed so quickly. Looking at a tablet or phone is really not quite the same. That said, I love, love browsing the gallery here, and really, the most talented card makers are right here on our beloved Splitcoast!
cjzim is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
stampscout (06-18-2021)
Old 02-12-2019, 07:23 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
 
fionna51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fort Collins CO
Posts: 15,235
Received 58 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

Yep. SCS is my go-to "magazine". And I don't have to store any back issues!
__________________
Diane
On SCS since 2005...Fan Club since 2007
Quiltzi...High Plains Member of Punchkateerz
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
fionna51 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
jeannemlehrman (06-19-2021)
Old 02-13-2019, 07:29 AM   #10  
Embossing Fanatic
 
Redeemed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 58
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
For most magazines, a main benefit of subscribers is quantity - the higher the number, the more advertisers will advertise - or will put in larger ads, for example.

That's why some companies - unrelated to crafting - give away subscriptions at no charge.

Years ago Wayfair had a deal with a publisher that all Wayfair customers would get a free magazine subscription. That publishing company could then tell advertisers they had X thousands of subscribers.

There were a lot of complaints, apparently, and they stopped. I complained because the magazines contained perfume samples which mess up my sinuses/breathing, plus we try to reduce recycling (trees)! The publisher informed me that Wayfair was providing the "gift."
Well, that's interesting! Recently we started to get 3 unrequested magazines - 2 are junk (entertainment & sports) and one I'll keep (recipes). I wondered what was going on because magazines are supposedly expensive to make/send. We pay $60 for one we actually want. Too bad they don't ask us which ones we actually want. Also, the name/address on some are wrong - 2 of the same magazine are delivered to our address but 2 different names. No idea who sells our info and it isn't even correct. No one to contact about it all. We write "REFUSED" on the ones we don't want. So weird.
Redeemed is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2019, 07:47 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer
 
bjeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 6,426
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedeemedView Post
Well, that's interesting! Recently we started to get 3 unrequested magazines - 2 are junk (entertainment & sports) and one I'll keep (recipes). I wondered what was going on because magazines are supposedly expensive to make/send. We pay $60 for one we actually want. Too bad they don't ask us which ones we actually want. Also, the name/address on some are wrong - 2 of the same magazine are delivered to our address but 2 different names. No idea who sells our info and it isn't even correct. No one to contact about it all. We write "REFUSED" on the ones we don't want. So weird.

The magazine publisher can stop the subscriptions if you call/email them. Visiting their website may work better than looking for contact info in the magazine. Sometimes you have to do an on-line search. They don’t necessarily want to make it easy.

They may even tell you who gave you the “gift,” and you can contact that company and tell them to stop selling your name - like Wayfair did.
bjeans is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2019, 11:59 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert
 
cheermom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,268
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

Oh I hadn't seen this! How sad! I got quite few cards published in their magazines over the years.
__________________
Check out my blog http://sherri-iloveflipflops.blogspot.com/

I'm a chemo angel. Click here for more information: https://www.chemoangels.com/
cheermom is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2019, 02:55 PM   #13  
Embossing Fanatic
 
Redeemed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 58
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
The magazine publisher can stop the subscriptions if you call/email them. Visiting their website may work better than looking for contact info in the magazine. Sometimes you have to do an on-line search. They don’t necessarily want to make it easy.

They may even tell you who gave you the “gift,” and you can contact that company and tell them to stop selling your name - like Wayfair did.
Thanks, but that is too much like work. It is a full-time job being a consumer these days - researching products to make sure they function, writing companies/people about problems, etc. I cannot keep up as it is. Right now I have a huge job trying to get my own medical info about my surgery.
Redeemed is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2019, 03:07 PM   #14  
Gallery Gazer
 
bjeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 6,426
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedeemedView Post
Thanks, but that is too much like work. It is a full-time job being a consumer these days - researching products to make sure they function, writing companies/people about problems, etc. I cannot keep up as it is. Right now I have a huge job trying to get my own medical info about my surgery.
Ugh, no fair - obtaining your medical info should be easy - but little is these days. I’m mucking through insurance claims for my husband. One had been rejected once because the insurance company’s scanner didn’t scan it well, so they didn’t have an original signature, and originals are shredded after being scanned. And they didn’t want a copy because it wasn’t an original. Excuse me? You ruined the original and didn’t scan it well but I have to start over? (I won that fight. )

Calling the publisher usually takes about five minutes, and to get rid of stinking perfume is worth it for me. But I get why many people won’t want to go through it.

And most of all, I hope you’re okay post op!
bjeans is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2019, 03:41 PM   #15  
Embossing Fanatic
 
Redeemed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 58
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Ugh, no fair - obtaining your medical info should be easy - but little is these days. I’m mucking through insurance claims for my husband. One had been rejected once because the insurance company’s scanner didn’t scan it well, so they didn’t have an original signature, and originals are shredded after being scanned. And they didn’t want a copy because it wasn’t an original. Excuse me? You ruined the original and didn’t scan it well but I have to start over? (I won that fight. )

Calling the publisher usually takes about five minutes, and to get rid of stinking perfume is worth it for me. But I get why many people won’t want to go through it.

And most of all, I hope you’re okay post op!
UGH! I feel your pain over the insurance mess - looks like you are doing a good job for your husband.

Thank you for caring! I've said that I can handle the problems so long as it all ends up well. I am depending on God to make it all OK.
Redeemed is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2021, 08:00 AM   #16  
Glitter Guru
 
Scrapjanny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The City That Never Sleeps
Posts: 5,131
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaM6View Post
You say you're sorry, but imagine how sad I am now. I was a subscriber and lost a lot of money. I heard they closed down because they didn't use Texas factoring company. So they were not able to increase their working capital quickly and increase the stability of their company. If they had offered him comfortable payment terms, they could have been ahead of their competitors. And with factoring, by the way, it is possible to release goods or provide services with deferred payment, without fear of cash gaps: revenue will come on the day of shipment, and the money can be put into business immediately. But it's too late to talk about it.
This is spam. The member has 4 posts, and they all say exactly the same thing, and it has nothing to do with the OP. Reported.
Scrapjanny is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2021, 05:51 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper
 
Alice in Md's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Towson, Maryland
Posts: 1,706
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Rubber Stamp Madness is still around -- https://rsmadness.com/ -- and has many ads; I ordered a single copy by mail recently just to see how it was doing because it's not on any newsstand I frequent. Joann's and Michael's often have the ones from England that are wrapped in plastic to contain the free stamps and dies that are enclosed; the ads are usually from there, too, and the price is often over $20 in the U.S. ... As someone else mentioned, SCS is my stamping magazine -- which reminds me, I should "renew" that subscription!
Alice in Md is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2021, 06:06 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess
 
Kate Stamps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chehalis, WA in my stamp room
Posts: 549
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

I always loved the magazines I subscribed to. The best thing for me was the advertising... I found out what was new.
Kate Stamps is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
lynnewithane (06-17-2021)
Old 06-18-2021, 11:59 AM   #19  
Kookie Creator
 
mac4551's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Northwestern PA
Posts: 388
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Default

I have several issues of Just Cards, and one Inside for Just Cards . Loved that magazine. I prefer the paper copies as well over digital. Sad.. our world has changed so much not only since the pandemic, but in the past several years. Now I see why my parents used to say "we miss the old days and ways of life"... I used to think how sad for them that they won't accept the new inventions/ideas.. now I'm in their thinking category ! LOL I too just got a sample Rubber Stamp Madness magazine... not bad, but not one that I'd subscribe to either. B & N store is about 30 miles away, so i don't travel there often.. only a few times a year. Missed all of last year, it's about time I travel there again. Thanks for the update !.
__________________
Mac
(mac4551)
John 3:16
mac4551 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Reply





Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off