Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-01-2010, 07:55 PM   #1  
Linking Queen

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default ATC Question

I have read several links on Artist Trading Cards (ATCs) but so far I haven't found the answer to this question:

How clean/neat is the back expected to be? I know that contact info et. is to be included but am wondering if the ends of ribbon are "okay" ... I will actually probably have a band of ribbon that covers the back but with one of the cut ends exposed (glued to the card/ribbon beneath it so it's as flat as possible).

I made 2, maybe 3 ATCs in the past but used them as an element on a card. When making my prototype for a swap in about a month I wondered about the backs.

Oh ... is stamping absolutely required (I haven't looked for an answer to that yet). My design can incorporate a small stamped image but I was curious if it was required or expected.

TIA and ...

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2010, 09:04 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Tina

Check the rules for the swap; they should tell you the requirements, ie stamping, embellisments, products, etc. If you aren't sure, you should ask the hostess.

I would recommend a "clean" back. I've never seen any strict rules about it, but most people want info on the back; your name/email address, title of the work, date, name of swap, etc. I have a couple stamps made just for ATC backs. If I have a "messy" back, I use the info stamp on a "blank" and adhere it back to back to cover the "mess" and to add to the strength of the card.

HTH
Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2010, 01:44 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I suspect you'll get different answers from different people! Some people hate brad prongs and ribbon ends etc showing on the back of any paper craft, other people don't mind at all and think it adds to the "hand crafted" nature of the item. Same for ATCs as for anything else.

As for whether stamping is required - that will depend on the swap rules. You can make an ATC with any medium (collage, paint, mixed media etc) and it's still an ATC - some swaps will have rules about what should be incorporated and others will be a free for all so check with your swap host.

Have fun!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2010, 07:27 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 34 Likes on 7 Posts

No messy workmanship should show on the back is my opinion. That is the reason for the hostess to ask for two layers. Do your best work and send something you are proud of and would be happy to receive in return. Oh...and have fun LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2010, 07:47 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts

Tina, I'd go to Karen for the best advice. Really, she's very up on ATCs.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2010, 07:52 AM   #6  
Linking Queen

Thanks for the replies ... they've given me stuff to think about.

There are no rules for the swap. It's part of a shoebox gathering where, in addition to your project you participate in at least one of several swaps.

My base is 100lb Bristol Vellum with a layer of patterned papers (two patterns but together they cover one layer) and the ribbon. I plan to stamp something on a circle and attach that to the ribbon.

My plan has been to print labels with the ATC info (stamps, techniques, contact info, etc.) for the back. These will be a bit smaller because if I am not perfect with the placement trimming isn't an option (the size would no longer be an ATC and the ibbon would be cut).

Usually I only swap cardfronts and so brad prongs etc. didn't concern me because it was either for an idea file or would be adhered to a cardbase. I think it would bother me (at least a little) on an ATC because they are for collecting and trading and should be completed works of art.

So I think I've decided on my solution (but am open to more ideas and comments ... at least until I've made too many to change my mind ): I will put the label on a piece of cardstock (probably will use Georgia Pacific 110 lb) and trim it slightly smaller than the ATC and adhere it to the back.

Thanks again and ...

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2010, 07:52 AM   #7  
Linking Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindylou1220View Post
Tina, I'd go to Karen for the best advice. Really, she's very up on ATCs.
I'll do that ... I was typing my first reply when you posted!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2010, 08:14 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeGeeDeeView Post

So I think I've decided on my solution (but am open to more ideas and comments ... at least until I've made too many to change my mind ): I will put the label on a piece of cardstock (probably will use Georgia Pacific 110 lb) and trim it slightly smaller than the ATC and adhere it to the back.

Thanks again and ...

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Tina - this is the best way to hide messy ends - it keeps the card neat and provides a stiffer finished product.

As for stamping, unless specifically requested, anything goes! I prefer to see other techniques used besides stamping (paper arts, fabric, found objects) that will give me ideas for future cards!

Now I can't wait to see what you come up with for the Buffalo event!
Karen

Karen ... Murphy's Law
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2010, 08:52 AM   #9  
Linking Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmk24View Post
Tina - this is the best way to hide messy ends - it keeps the card neat and provides a stiffer finished product.

As for stamping, unless specifically requested, anything goes! I prefer to see other techniques used besides stamping (paper arts, fabric, found objects) that will give me ideas for future cards!

Now I can't wait to see what you come up with for the Buffalo event!
Karen
Thanks Karen ... I feel more confident in my prototype after reading all the replies. Good timing too as I hope to get a good start (perhaps even a finish) by Monday so I can then focus on the shoebox swap. I don't like them to be similar and so try to finish one before starting the other (or my ideas get jumbled).

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2010, 09:40 AM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Received 374 Likes on 222 Posts

If there aren't any rules, I say do what makes you happy. It's supposed to be a representation of you and your style; so if "messy" backs are your thing, go for it. You do great work anyway, so anyone should be happy to receive whatever you make.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2010, 12:45 PM   #11  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my cards back from an ATC swap. I had put a blank layer on the back of my cards like many people above have suggested. When I got the cards back from the swap I was delighted to find many of the ladies had decorated the back side too! It was like 2 great cards in one

I would try to make the back look as neat as possible, whether it's blank or decorated. You want your work to say something about your level of craftsmanship, and a neat finished backside says a lot about the crafter.

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes