Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Scissors on a plane? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/scissors-plane-173200/)

Linda Seaman 08-10-2006 10:34 AM

Scissors on a plane?

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone has carried small(detail) scissors on a plane and actually used them. Is this allowed? Thought I could use this time to cut out images if it is allowed. TIA, Linda Seaman

Jessian97 08-10-2006 10:39 AM

I wouldn't even think about trying to get them on a plane at this point. To be on the safe side, even if you're not sure if something is allowed, don't do it. Unfortunately, the majority of the world is not in the crafty mind when it comes to scissors on an airplane.

laurakj 08-10-2006 11:06 AM

They wouldn't let my mom take a small sewing kit with the super dull scissors, so I HIGHLY doubt they'll let you take small SHARP scissors ;) Stash them in your checked luggage if you need to take them along.

love scrappin 08-10-2006 11:08 AM

well if you saw the news today they are not even letting ANY liquids of ANY type on the planes now never mind sharp objects! My hubby is traveling in 2 days from Logan to Cali and I am very worried about it!! I dont think they will let you on with much more than the bare neccesties! and rightly so in my opinion.

prchvs 08-10-2006 11:09 AM

if you try, they'll take 'em away and either you pay to have them mailed to you or they're gone for good! You're not allowed anything sharp from knives to crochet hooks & nail clippers.

scrappinchick 08-10-2006 11:21 AM

Last summer, they took my son's Fiskars scissors away, the ones made for Pre-k kids, the blunt edged kind. He had them in his pencil box with his crayons and markers, and I had no idea they were in there, until, of course, the TA inspectors pulled the bag apart!!
I just had them throw them away.

Mothermark 08-10-2006 11:22 AM

Don't even go there!

shannonigan 08-10-2006 11:23 AM

if you need them you should be fine if you put them in your checked baggage. At least that has been the case previous to today's events.

Glenneth 08-10-2006 11:47 AM

I highly doubt you will get on with any scissors for the time being. Instead of cutting images out, do you have any images you need to stamp and then color in? You could take the cardstock and then markers or colored pencils. That wouldn't be a problem.

julia_s 08-10-2006 11:49 AM

I had a package of Cross-stitch needles confiscated on one flight!! I had to laugh-- I cross-stitched my way across the Pacific, all the way from Tokyo to LA to St. Louis to sleepy little Owensboro, KY. On the return trip, the TSA at O'boro-Daviess Co. airport called them dangerous and took them! Which was a royal pain, because I had a 10-hour layover at LAX with nothing to do!

basurok 08-10-2006 11:52 AM

I'd pack them just to be safe. Especially now with the alert on Red. I flew to NJ a few weeks ago...packed everything...nail scissors, tweezers...everything. Better safe than hunting for an AC Moore or Michaels.

stampmouse 08-10-2006 11:58 AM

i would pack them especially if you are going anytime soon. after last night restrictions will be even tighter at least for a couple of months. I took a pair of plyers, decorative kind and they were taken from me.

jwjazz 08-10-2006 12:07 PM

There will be no way to get them on now. I would not risk it.

AuburnTigerTN 08-10-2006 12:18 PM

Flying

I wouldn't risk especially if they were my good EXPENSIVE scissors.

TSA is so fickle.
DH and I flew across the country (changing planes several times) with a small cooler (with canned drinks and ice). We fly to somewhere like Phoenix and then get a rental car and drive everywhere else (like up to the Grand Canyon) so we take along a small cooler (I'm a diet coke-aholic).

Going out - no problem - didn't even open the lid - just ran it through the xray machine in one of those gray tubs.
Coming home, we had a long layover (and were flying Southwest - no food), so we stopped at Subway and then had about 4 canned drinks and ice in the cooler too. Phoenix TSA says - what's in there? They said you'll have to empty - Can't take ice in our expensive machine. They wanted us to dump the drinks too - but we talked them out of that. But we had to dump out the ice.

I'm all about safety - especially in light of today's news. But I would love some consistency.

lilorangemouse 08-10-2006 12:24 PM

I wouldn't think so either. Pack em in your checked luggage.

Jeanne S 08-10-2006 12:28 PM

Check them :)

rlzblz 08-10-2006 12:50 PM

Here is a link to the TSA website with what is permitted and what is not

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1012.shtm

It lists that scissors are ok, but I'd check them. My boss was flying today and they took her hairspray from her. I'd imagine this list will be updated in the near future.

stampmouse 08-10-2006 07:27 PM

and different cities seem to have some variations to the rules too. its at their discreation sometimes. but now with the no liquid rules its going to be even harder I think

aggiedc95 08-10-2006 07:31 PM

Check them. Twice I have un-thinkingly left the screwdriver that I carry in my camera bag (for tripod attachment) and I have had two screwdrivers confiscated.

Definitely, under our red alert status, don't even try.

MazG 08-10-2006 08:02 PM

My husband had the scissors in his grooming set confiscated at security a couple of years ago on a domestic flight. I wouldn't try it especially after today's incident.

Mahloumel 08-10-2006 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prchvs
You're not allowed anything sharp from knives to crochet hooks & nail clippers.

I get confused about the nail clippers because DH always has to put his in his luggage at the last second before he forgets, and the folks at ticketing remind us to not have any clippers on us among other things. But, in Calgary Airport they sell nail clippers in the secure area! So if you go thru security and they take away your clippers there, you can go buy new ones and trim away at your manicure on the plane.

At Regina airport they had a glass display case full of stuff not allowed on planes. All kinds of weird stuff, including some cooking knives and a pair of 14" shears. DH and I used to laugh at those shears, wondering what the heck kind of scary stuff the owner did with them. (Don't ask me how I know they're 14" long -- it would be almost as if I'd gotten a pair of those myself since then or something!)

Linda Seaman 08-11-2006 12:11 AM

Oh WOW, was not EVEN aware of what had gone on today when I wrote that post. Guess I won't try it, at least now. Thanks for all your responses! Linda Seaman

Joan B 08-11-2006 03:07 AM

Snakes yes, shampoo no!

jkincolorado 08-11-2006 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
Snakes yes, shampoo no!

That made me laugh!!!

Joan B 08-11-2006 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkincolorado
That made me laugh!!!

How else can we deal with the insanity in our world................:D

ApocalipsisR 08-11-2006 05:32 AM

Don't even try it. I had problems with my Tweezers before and even more now. I am sure you can carry them in your checked luggage though.
You can get in serious trouble. Be safe