Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-15-2019, 06:58 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wide Washi Tape

For those of you who use the extra wide washi tape (5 -7"), how do you keep it from ripping as you unroll it? I have one by Pinkfresh and one by Altenew, and it seems I waste as much product this way a I'm able to peel off and use. Any tips?

I've soldiered on and used it anyway, but the rip doesn't smooth out as I'd wish.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2019, 07:39 AM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I have some 3" Altenew washi and 1.5" Renke. Do you peel the tape back very close to itself? That probably doesn't make sense. It's like after putting painters tape on a wall. When removing it, it's best to bend/fold it back very close to itself, not to pull out. Clear as mud?

If that still doesn't work, has the tape been stored near a heat source or is it really old? How about quality? I've purchased washi from a bargain bin and from quality companies and sometimes there's a difference.

Good luck - I hope others have suggestions and you post how it goes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2019, 10:27 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thx for the tip, bjeans; will pay closer attention to my angle next time. Both tapes are name brands, new (one arrived Friday), and purchased after the hot season. I wondered the same thing about heat, but if heat is the problem, I didn't cause it so I can't know or prevent it. But will definitely look at what you're suggesting, and, yes, it makes sense.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2019, 07:19 PM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Good question. I would contact the companies. Tell them your tape keeps tearing.

In the meantime I popped over to YT University...and found this one. At 2:36 she is using a wide tape. The other ones for wide Altenew make it look like they just peel it and lay it immediately onto the card stock.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2019, 11:14 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

Here is a way to attach washi tape by Laurie Willison:

I tried to link the YT video, but it won't let me. Here is the link to her blog and the page with the video. Just scroll down.

https://soapboxcreations.blogspot.com/search?q=washi

Last edited by uncbballfan; 10-16-2019 at 11:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2019, 11:56 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

I found some at hobby lobby for $1.99 for a huge roll. Its 12" wide so I cut it to the size of the paper and take the whole white backing off before I put it on my cardstock. Then I lay the whole thing down and hope for the best. No bubbles or tears yet.

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2019, 08:06 PM   #7  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

here's the link Linda found-it is fast and she is doing the same thing as the one I posted in a way. They seem to anchor the tape on the workspace and then apply to the CS. Her use of the bone folder here seems like genius to me.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2019, 09:22 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I have Altenew tape and it’s never ripped. But I’ve had regular Washi rip for 2 reasons. First because it was exposed to light so the adhesive became brittle. That doesn’t sound like the issue here but I included it for others. Never store any adhesive or anything with adhesive in the sun, light or heat. Second, does it have any irregular edges? Sometimes the slicer machine that cuts the tape into smaller rolls from one gigantic roll can cut unevenly. That can mangle the edge. Then when you try to unroll it, the little mangled bits catch and tear. Sometimes if the edge is more bent than cut rough (can happen in shipping) you can smooth it ahead of time to help it unroll smoothly. If it’s torn you can sort of unpick the edge as you unroll before it tears.

I’ve never had to unroll mine in a specific way. I’m a rightie so I hold the end of the tape in my left hand, sticky side down and unroll with my right. It comes off at roughly a 90° angle. I’ve not had to pull it back on itself except when removing it from taping down paper (regular Washi, not the wide stuff). Best wishes!
Reply With Quote Likes