Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Rude not to comment? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/rude-not-comment-349965/)

megan6986 05-22-2008 02:33 PM

Rude not to comment?

Does anyone think it's rude when a card has alot of viewers but not one takes the time to comment?
I try to comment to most (obviously no one can post to every card they see) cards and at least say TFS. That user took alot of time to make that and some input would be nice. Am I the only one that thinks that?

I hope I didn't offend anyone as that is not my intention.

tchk 05-22-2008 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megan6986 (Post 9911422)
Does anyone think it's rude when a card has alot of viewers but not one takes the time to comment?

Absolutely NOT!

How can anonymously looking at someone's card but not posting a comment be considered rude?

lesliespringer 05-22-2008 02:49 PM

With over 1000 uploads a day, it is pretty hard to post comments on cards now.

When I first joined back in Oct 2005 I could go through all the uploads in an hour or so and post comment every night. Now it is impossible to get through all the uploads. People just click on a card to get a better veiw, but most just don't have time to leave comments any more.

Because of this I don't get excited to post my cards anymore, sorry to say. I use to post my cards to my gallery as soon as I was done making my cards and I would get comments. I have 3 cards I have yet to post here to my gallery Now the only way I get comments is if I go to "play in" the comment thread, which is sad.

People just don't leave comments like they use to, why could be time and amount of uploads.

No offence taken. This subject has been discused before.

ch 05-22-2008 02:56 PM

So many cards--so little time. I think 'a view' says I liked it. I can only view so many of the hundreds of cards loaded each day. 'A view' should be considered two thumbs up! JMNSHO

krystie lee 05-22-2008 03:17 PM

I'm flattered just by views. With so many uploads, I'm flattered if one of my projects grabs someone's attention enough for a view!

Also, I know that some people will click through to my blog and not go back and comment on my gallery.

The comment threads are fabulous if you'd like to get more comments!

MaryAnnK 05-22-2008 03:22 PM

Like everyone, I love getting comments. I try to pick out some people from the newbie threads to see if they have anything posted and will comment. I remember how excited I was when I got my first comment. When I play the comment threads, I try to comment on cards that don't have many comments.

stampingonit 05-22-2008 03:56 PM

comments are nice, it's that extra boost on our efforts, that says other people like what we do. But I agree that views are also good, I have seen lots of nice cards, some I comment on, others I don't.
and as mentioned, maybe try out a comment thread that should help out if you want more comments!

RIRed2 05-22-2008 04:05 PM

It doesnt bother me at all, I am a newbie and only have a few cards in my gallery, though I appreciated the comments I do not put them up for that, I just enjoy this site and want to get better. I look at a few cards and try to leave comments, but there are just to many. I put mine up just to feel apart of all those who work so hard to make this site sucessful.
Becky

megan6986 05-22-2008 04:17 PM

thanks for all your input guys. I never thought about how the number of views are kinda like comments, basically saying you liked it without commenting. :)

kaenasmommy 05-22-2008 04:19 PM

http://www.millan.net/minimations/sm...pcornsmile.gif

Badger53186 05-22-2008 04:26 PM

Thanks to all of you! I never thought to look at the number of views or *gasp* favorited cards in my gallery. It is so nice to get a comment, but almost as good to have someone look and ZOINKS favorited! Cool beans! Never really thought about it that way!

Erin K 05-22-2008 04:46 PM

Yea I try to look at views as a "oh cool, I wanna see that bigger" a favorite as "I'm liking this enough that I know I want to see it again" and a comment as whatever the comment says.

I developed this attitude after having cards with 50+ views and no comments! haha

Also I know I look at scads of cards that I don't have anything to say about, but they are lovely cards. I don't really want to leave "nice" on every card ya know? I guess that would be nicer, but I don't always do it.

Phantom 05-22-2008 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin K (Post 9912830)
Yea I try to look at views as a "oh cool, I wanna see that bigger" a favorite as "I'm liking this enough that I know I want to see it again" and a comment as whatever the comment says.

I developed this attitude after having cards with 50+ views and no comments! haha

Also I know I look at scads of cards that I don't have anything to say about, but they are lovely cards. I don't really want to leave "nice" on every card ya know? I guess that would be nicer, but I don't always do it.

I agree with Erin. Now, I do try to comment on any card that I "favorite." But with viewing, many times, a thumbnail catches my eye and then when I see it up close .... well, you know, "if you can't say something nice...." Makes me wonder when I get views and no comments LOL!! Oh well... something for everyone.

I like to leave a comment if I'm blown away or have something interesting or unique to say about the card. For myself, if someone "favorites" one of my cards, I'm thrilled!! It's fun to pop over to my gallery sometimes and see some being made "favorites" even if I'm not getting comments.

Nancy

Erin in Okc 05-22-2008 06:17 PM

I don't thinks its rude. I don't comment on every card I look at because I don't know a faster way to get back to the page I was looking at. I look at the card then hit 'back.' If I comment, I look at the card, comment, then click back more than once to get back to the page I was originally looking at. There's GOTTA be a faster way!! Can somebody share that with me, please? :grin:

pamshobby 05-22-2008 06:18 PM

I am always looking but don't leave comments all the time. If I don't leave a comment, it doesn't mean I didn't like the card by any means. I think everyone that uploads cards here is talented in one way or another. But I have to admit, comments always make you feel your card is "a little more special".

Madame_Butterfly 05-22-2008 06:29 PM

I think that it is great but like someone stated so many photos so little time... I do take the time to comment especially if it inspired me...

ReneeNJ 05-22-2008 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin in Okc (Post 9913740)
I don't thinks its rude. I don't comment on every card I look at because I don't know a faster way to get back to the page I was looking at. I look at the card then hit 'back.' If I comment, I look at the card, comment, then click back more than once to get back to the page I was originally looking at. There's GOTTA be a faster way!! Can somebody share that with me, please? :grin:

Erin, when you see a thumbnail you like, "right click" on it (click your right mouse button), and choose the option "open link in new window". This way the card opens up in a whole new window -- and when you are done looking at (and/or commenting on) the card, you can just close that new window and you will be right back where you started in your original window.

nancystamps 05-22-2008 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringer (Post 9911609)
With over 1000 uploads a day, it is pretty hard to post comments on cards now.

When I first joined back in Oct 2005 I could go through all the uploads in an hour or so and post comment every night. Now it is impossible to get through all the uploads. People just click on a card to get a better veiw, but most just don't have time to leave comments any more.

Because of this I don't get excited to post my cards anymore, sorry to say. I use to post my cards to my gallery as soon as I was done making my cards and I would get comments. I have 3 cards I have yet to post here to my gallery Now the only way I get comments is if I go to "play in" the comment thread, which is sad.

People just don't leave comments like they use to, why could be time and amount of uploads.

No offence taken. This subject has been discused before.

Wow, you said exactly what I was thinking. I uploaded a bunch of cards this week, thought they were kinda cute actually, and got very few comments. But then as I scrolled through all the other cards in the gallery, I saw lots of fantastic ones with maybe only one or two comments. I think there are just too many to go through, so I'll be content with whatever I get. And I'll comment where I can.

Kathi127 05-22-2008 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReneeNJ (Post 9913919)
Erin, when you see a thumbnail you like, "right click" on it (click your right mouse button), and choose the option "open link in new window". This way the card opens up in a whole new window -- and when you are done looking at (and/or commenting on) the card, you can just close that new window and you will be right back where you started in your original window.

That's a great tip! I never realized you could do it that way! I agree that it's a pain when you have to keep hitting the back button a zillion times just to get back to the thumbnail! Thanks for sharing!

monkeymama 05-22-2008 06:48 PM

Quote:

Erin, you can also hit the shift key when you're left-clicking your mouse and the card automatically pops up in a new window. When you are done, just X out and you are back to the gallery. This is so much faster than the multiple clicks on the back button like I used to do!!!

nottoocreative 05-22-2008 06:52 PM

I agree that there are waaay too many nice cards to comment on each one, but if I like a card and there are few or no comments on it, I do try and post one. In the past I wasn't always logged in so there are a lot I viewed and liked but didn't comment.
Now, the one thing is why do people take the time to comment on a card that already has a zillion comments, and they say "Love it"...to me, if you dont' have time to comment on a lot of cards, try and pick ones that don't already have them, and that you can say something specific about it. KWIM? Just one thing I noticed, before I joined up, that the cards with a billion comments are usually some kind of challenge card. I understand that, but sometimes there are cards that are just as nice, if not nicer, that have no comments...
Just MO (not so humble :mrgreen: )

megan6986 05-22-2008 07:16 PM

Tabbed browsing

Quote:

for every card i would like to look at i press CTRL and then click on the picture so it opens in a new tab. that way you can look at the pictures (many at a time) while still looking at the page you are on

lbirus 05-22-2008 07:37 PM

I don't think it's rude... but I do think it's curious that a card would have over a hundred views and it's been favorited (is that a word?) but still zero comments:rolleyes: like this one.

Hmmm... Numbers like that kinda make me wonder if it's reallllllly bad and no one wants to tell me!!! C'mon guys, the creator is always the last to know!!!:eek: It's like having lettuce on your teeth... someone should speak up!!! ;)

Seriously, I love to find treasures, cards that no one's seen and get a comment on there!

Coletta 05-22-2008 08:27 PM

Is there some way to turn off the option to comment on a card or to hide the number of views? I think that would be more egalitarian.

I think comments are definitely optional. Having said that, I like to leave a kind word or two when a card really captures my attention to let the poster know I appreciate their work. I know how much I appreciate the encouragement and it's a real morale booster to hear nice things about your creations!

Coletta

stampinchampin 05-22-2008 08:40 PM

I also do not think it is rude to not leave comments. Sometimes I go through the gallery for ideas and am looking for something that pops so I can go create. I might comment on the one that really caught my eye and not on others.

I don't mind not having many comments. I love that I can have all my creations in one place. I am learning more all the time from you wonderful ladies and hope to be half as talented one of these days!

tootsie roll 05-22-2008 08:43 PM

I love comments but I have also learned from the cards that haven't gotten comments and have used it to improve. If I feel like a card was really good then I figure maybe it was a fluke and play a round on the comment thread. I try to leave a lot of comments for other people since spreading a little love makes me feel great too!

Joan B 05-23-2008 12:45 AM

No, I don't think it is rude at all. It would be rude to leave a nasty comment. The gallery shouldn't be a competition. Really!!! It should be for inspiration. ((hugs))

LateBlossom 05-23-2008 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krystie lee (Post 9911990)
I'm flattered just by views. With so many uploads, I'm flattered if one of my projects grabs someone's attention enough for a view!

Also, I know that some people will click through to my blog and not go back and comment on my gallery.

The comment threads are fabulous if you'd like to get more comments!

ITA

lauralooloo 05-23-2008 04:35 AM

i LOVE comments, but i understand that there isn't time to comment on much!!! and honestly, i don't spend much time in the gallery so I try not to expect much from others either!!!

how do you know if something has been "favorited"???

pjw2855 05-23-2008 04:37 AM

I don't think it's rude not to comment on items in the gallery. I would think they are posted just to show off what people do. I look at many but have only left 3-4 comments in all. Those were because they were the style and colors/subject I would use.

Seeing people leaving codes or 2-3 words in the comment section is not a comment, not very expressive of their thoughts on the project.

I do enjoy looking at some of them. I'm mostly looking what techniques were used in the cards or the projects made.

I also feel many show so dark that you can't see them well enough anyway.

No I don't have a gallery and don't care to.

Patti

genie1314 05-23-2008 05:10 AM

I'm one of those people that is guilty of looking and not commenting. It's not that I don't want to comment, because believe me, I would comment on every card if I could. I am a SAHM chasing an almost 2 year old around most of the day. I have to use my time to my advantage. Meaning that stamping and computer time have to be shared. I have to make the most of it. I really do enjoy seeing everyone's creations and I hope they know that I am looking and admiring their work. :)

Glitterati 05-23-2008 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReneeNJ (Post 9913919)

Thank you so much for sharing this great tip! I didn't know we could do this.

Glitterati 05-23-2008 05:33 AM

Wow! Very cool tip!

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeymama (Post 9914215)
Erin, you can also hit the shift key when you're left-clicking your mouse and the card automatically pops up in a new window. When you are done, just X out and you are back to the gallery. This is so much faster than the multiple clicks on the back button like I used to do!!!

Okay, I just tried all the cool tricks listed in this thread for faster viewing and yours is my favorite. This will make it much faster and easier to leave comments. Thanks so much for sharing!:D

CardFanatic 05-23-2008 06:10 AM

No. I don't think it's rude.

As someone else has said, this topic has been discussed before.. probably several times before. I think there are a few reasons for less comments.

1. Time (as said before)
2. Dial up internet connection (some people really do still have it)
3. Unfortunately.... there are some demos that are more business based and come here just to find cards to CASE. This is not the norm, but it does happen.
4. Some people (as said before) haven't see n the tricks to make it faster. I remember those days of constant back clicking. LOL!

and probably a few more that I'm not thinking of now.

How to get more comments:

1. Play in the challenges.
2. Play in the comment thread.
3. If you are a new stamper: Be ready and willing to change. Learn from the stampers who have lots of comments. Why are those cards getting lots of comments?
4. If you are an experienced stamper: Be ready and willing to change. Every stamper should see improvements and changes towards the trends and styles of the day. If your cards look basically the same as 2 years ago, people won't comment... they've seen it before. That doesn't mean your card isn't good. It just means people are looking for something new.
5. Photography is important.
6. Broaden your scope of images. This doesn't have to be expensive. There is Wish RAK that people wish for images of stamps they don't have. There is also a PIF thread in the swap forum under Everything Else. PIF means pay it forward. It's really very easy and "swapping" images is less expensive.
7. Leave comments on other cards. People will start to recognize your username and possibly have it grab their attention when zooming through the gallery.

... I'll probably think of more ideas later. That always happens to me. :p

RiverIsis 05-23-2008 06:18 AM

I'm Guilty - I don't think I have ever commented on a gallery card... often I am just looking for ideas or for clarification of how a technique will look after I have done it because I am visual person. Also, just how many ways can you say "that's great" etc....

I'm as guilty as the next for wanting lovely comments on my blog but I appreciate not everyone has time. The tool I like best on my blog is that I can see where people are - that's neat to think that I shared an idea etc with someone half way around the world or even on the other side of the country.

Be confident in your work and embrace your artistic growth.

janny3 05-23-2008 06:38 AM

I do make a comment on cards that particularly catch my eye, but with sheer volume of cards it's very difficult to see them all.

stampie_newbie 05-23-2008 06:49 AM

I never thought that some people might find it rude. I have to admit that I rarely make a comment and I guess that is why I have so few posts. I am on this site every day and it is my primary source of inspiration so I view a lot of cards/projects. I've often wondered why most people have hundreds or thousands of posts and I have so few. Maybe I should start making more comments.

Laurie FW 05-23-2008 06:53 AM

Quote:

I also love to use that little arrow button at the far top left of your browser. It is right beside the arrow that points to the left and the arrow that points to the right. It is tiny and points downward. It has all the past recent pages you have looked at on there and you can click down past several pages back, if you want! I can look at several pages of someone's gallery, then click all the way back to this thread which is title "Rude to comment" under the arrow! Just another way to navigate this site and go back a whole bunch of pages at once!

maryrose 05-23-2008 07:41 AM

I think it's a changing world here on SCS. A few years back, everyone was high fivin' each other with comments. Now, we're told to be happy that someone actually cared enough to view our humble creations.

Personally, if I see that a card has 20+ comments already, why would I add another? Many cards that get all the comments are not even that special to me...I think it has more to do with celebrity/popular stampers than it does creativity.

These days, I try to scout out something that catches my eye that has a small number of comments...I mean, really. Let's encourage each other in this creative pursuit!

QueenPam 05-23-2008 09:11 AM

Mary Rose I agree with you.I was told that you want get comments on your cards if you don't decribe how you made it,so when i uploaded my cards I didn't tell anything about how or what,because my cards are not made from any name brand stuff just things that I get from the dollar stores and some from Micheal's.