Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Rubber Stamping - perfect cheap hobby?? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/rubber-stamping-perfect-cheap-hobby-229660/)

emilymomto3boys 03-03-2007 06:50 PM

Rubber Stamping - perfect cheap hobby??

This is the article I found in Redbook this month. And, pardon me, but the samples were terrible! They talked all about how this an inexpensive way to make some personal stationery. WHat?!?! Who are they kidding?

I mean, if you get into this thinking you will *save* money by making your own cards......denial!!

Seriously!

Anyone else read this article?

bradley's_mom 03-03-2007 06:54 PM

Nope-but that is what I told my husband 9 years ago and he believed me for about 30 seconds!

staramaze 03-03-2007 06:56 PM

No but I will... we should send them some AMAZING cards on behalf of SCS! Is it the March issue? Is the title of your post the title of the article? Just let us know the address to mail too and let's flood 'em with cards and show 'em what stampers can do!

pear52 03-03-2007 06:56 PM

Guess it depends on whether you become addicted and a hoarder or just buy a set of stamps and use them over and over again with white paper and a black inkpad, using some old markers you have around the house and absolutely no embellishments. I bet people with such self control don't end up on SCS (Hee Hee)

texasjodylynn 03-03-2007 06:59 PM

*hysterically laughing*

Who in the world did they poll? LOL That is VERY funny!

I didn't read the article, but maybe I should find it and have my hubby read it. LOL

steubner 03-03-2007 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pear52
Guess it depends on whether you become addicted and a hoarder or just buy a set of stamps and use them over and over again with white paper and a black inkpad, using some old markers you have around the house and absolutely no embellishments. I bet people with such self control don't end up on SCS (Hee Hee)

SPEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:
And to think, DH thinks I became a SU demo to actually SAVE $$!!!!

emilymomto3boys 03-03-2007 07:02 PM

It's on page 36 of the March 2007 issue. Titled "Make Your Own Cards"

"Create unstant, stylish stationery with easy-to-use rubber stamps. The result: a signature statement that's personal, simple and gorgeous - the ultimate cheap thrill!"

Riiiiiight.

mamaof3insd 03-03-2007 07:07 PM

What are they smoking??!!

DH just did a big snort and said yeah right!!

steubner 03-03-2007 07:09 PM

I think I'm going to have a poster made of that article and hang it in my stamp room...right above my mounds of stuff...

mamaof3insd 03-03-2007 07:16 PM

They must be smoking some pretty good stuff over there! :roll:

They should've titled it "Rubber stamping....Perfectly addicting!"

mamaof3insd 03-03-2007 07:16 PM

Ack! TZ! sorry! :shock:

See I was sniffing new rubber! :twisted:

jtax 03-03-2007 07:17 PM

thanks for the chuckle! Don't think I will bother looking for the article...

etsdas 03-04-2007 03:51 AM

Cheap hobby? Ask my credit card?

Another myth - this is a perfect hobby for our motor home as it does not require a lot of space consuming supplies. Well, that was before I found SCS! LOL....

CraftCrazy98 03-04-2007 03:58 AM

ROFLMBO!!!!!!!!! OMG... that is soooooo funny! Obviously, the article was written by a non-stamper!

MadelinesMom03 03-04-2007 04:45 AM

LOL, that's kind of amusing. Obviously not a whole lot of research went into the article?? DH has many hobbies (golf, hockey,biking,etc) and combined those costs (memberships, equipment etc) aren't NEAR what my one hobby costs. I suppose rubber stamping *might* be cheaper than some hobbies, like hmmmm lets say traveling Europe.

parrothead 03-04-2007 05:32 AM

Thats funny...however...when I started this I said look how much money I'll save staying out of Hallmark!!!!I could have bought a Hallmark by now!!!LOL!!!

JanTInk 03-04-2007 05:39 AM

Oh, c'mon, Emily! Stamping *is* a cheap thrill!

If you limit yourself to 5 stamps. And one inkpad. :mrgreen:

No, no, really, it is cheap! Compared to crack cocaine, crystal meth, booze and a number of other addictions! Our husbands don't realize how good they have it! There's no Stamp Rehab they have to check us into...we won't shave our heads over stamps!

JanTInk 03-04-2007 05:44 AM

And I'm just sitting here imagining the relatives of the "Cheap Stamper":

"Got another card from your sister again..." says she.

"Oh?" says he, "What's it look like this time?"

"Well, she moved the stamp this time...last time the bird was in the left corner. Otherwise...pretty much the same."

http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/teehee.gif

laderme 03-04-2007 05:58 AM

Oh my - I have to find this article for a good laugh.

Did they mention the cost of renovating to add another room to your house?

Avoca Sue 03-04-2007 06:08 AM

I really think we all need to contact 60 Minutes and get Andy Rooney on this story.

"SCS is a cult that controls the minds of over 10,000 people. All it takes is for one person to find a new stamping tool and immediately 9,999 people either rush out to buy it or they complain because they can't. That is only one group out of hundreds. Men of the world take heed - you are being taken over by stampers with only one thought in mind - they want to get the next new stamp or tool on the market. So guard your credit cards and try to stay out of their way." typed in my best Andy Rooney lingo.

sassybee 03-04-2007 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInk

"Well, she moved the stamp this time...last time the bird was in the left corner. Otherwise...pretty much the same."

LOL----freakin' hilarious!!!!

sassybee 03-04-2007 06:16 AM

Quote:

LOL----freakin' hilarious!!!!

MasJac 03-04-2007 06:21 AM

Don't we wish *cheap* I think not so..They obviously did not poll anyone from this site.

diannep575 03-04-2007 06:26 AM

I remember in the beginning saying how much money I would save by making my own Christmas cards.... At this point, I do believe an addiction to cocaine would be cheaper!!!!

parrothead 03-04-2007 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue Alt
I really think we all need to contact 60 Minutes and get Andy Rooney on this story.

"SCS is a cult that controls the minds of over 10,000 people. All it takes is for one person to find a new stamping tool and immediately 9,999 people either rush out to buy it or they complain because they can't. That is only one group out of hundreds. Men of the world take heed - you are being taken over by stampers with only one thought in mind - they want to get the next new stamp or tool on the market. So guard your credit cards and try to stay out of their way." typed in my best Andy Rooney lingo.

So True!!! All it takes is about 5 positive comments on something and I HAVE to have it!!!Such as my Cuttlebug,prismas,Bellas,scallop punches!!!,paper cutters,fabrio cards,Ott-Lamps.....I could go on and on!!!! This site can make or break a company!!!!

Avoca Sue 03-04-2007 07:38 AM

Ain't it the truth. I just got my Bug yesterday and today I'm looking for the 'Next big thing".

I wonder how many companies lurk on this site for feedback on their products. A bad experience had by one SCS'er could mean a loss of hundreds of dollars for that company. Who needs advertising agencies when there is SCS.

Stamps'nCoffee 03-04-2007 08:01 AM

Quote from my DH

"Honey, maybe you should take up gambling or a crack habit instead of stamping...y'know, just to save us a few bucks!"
lol

dzmindy 03-04-2007 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diannep575
I remember in the beginning saying how much money I would save by making my own Christmas cards.... At this point, I do believe an addiction to cocaine would be cheaper!!!!

Me too! I actually just got a new credit card in the mail from the issuer I usually buy my SU stuff with - they think there's a problem with my magnetic strip on the card b/c it's being punched in so much as opposed to being swiped at the register - well, duh....if I use it for all the mail-order type stuff, it's not like there's a register to swipe it with!

parrothead 03-04-2007 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dzmindy
Me too! I actually just got a new credit card in the mail from the issuer I usually buy my SU stuff with - they think there's a problem with my magnetic strip on the card b/c it's being punched in so much as opposed to being swiped at the register - well, duh....if I use it for all the mail-order type stuff, it's not like there's a register to swipe it with!

Now Thats Funny!!!I'm surprised I haven't heard from my CC company!!!

Disneywed 03-04-2007 08:43 AM

howz about we flood them with emails asking where in the world they got the idea that it was a cheap hobby?? Maybe they'll print a clarification or a whole new article?

parrothead 03-04-2007 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disneywed
howz about we flood them with emails asking where in the world they got the idea that it was a cheap hobby?? Maybe they'll print a clarification or a whole new article?

I'm in!!!

housefan 03-04-2007 09:55 AM

I had to just laugh at the title of this thread! Seems like many of us thought this in the beginning. Read the blog entry on this topic here under the last stamp room picture: http://blog.360.yahoo.com/rubyslippers74

steubner 03-04-2007 10:08 AM

Quote:

http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/funa.gif
ROFLMBO!!!!

MadameCraftyPants 03-04-2007 10:25 AM

Oh, my stamping hobby was cheap until I found SCS. I'm convinced that if there were no galleries or threads titled "enabler alert" it'd still be cheap. :-D

housefan 03-04-2007 10:41 AM

I thought that someday I would get over every new fad that came along. Not gonna happen. My Cuttlebug is just hot from overuse! Who knows what will be next. Every day is like Christmas (out of my own pocket LOL) with stamping.

foodsgal 03-04-2007 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadameCraftyPants
Oh, my stamping hobby was cheap until I found SCS. I'm convinced that if there were no galleries or threads titled "enabler alert" it'd still be cheap. :-D

I second that, it's amazing what I have bought because of this site.

Vee 03-04-2007 03:21 PM

My DH and I have several hobbies between us and figure they are all about equal in cost. That means I spend as much on stamping as he does on digital photography and all the computer stuff thta goes with it, high caliber cooking with all the stuff from french cooking stores he has to have, and all the equipment I use for kiteboarding- which is not at all cheap!

barbiejo 03-04-2007 03:33 PM

HOLD ON,...don't let our little ugly secret out and frighten the world of potential addicts,...we are doing a service,stimulating the economy,and making beautiful cards,gifts and variety of other things,...why let the air out of our balloon? Just smile and say "That is so interesting" and let it go with that knowing smile of stampers reality.

housefan 03-04-2007 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by housefan
I thought that someday I would get over every new fad that came along. Not gonna happen. My Cuttlebug is just hot from overuse! Who knows what will be next. Every day is like Christmas (out of my own pocket LOL) with stamping.

I meant to say I thought I would get over wanting to join every new fad! LOL, 12 years and counting. No movement that direction.

jendo1 03-04-2007 03:59 PM

I had the same thought when I read that article. Cheap?!? I don't think so.