Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Rubber or acrylic? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/rubber-acrylic-381287/)

BunnyCates 09-10-2008 02:16 PM

Rubber or acrylic?

So, I am an artist at heart, and currently looking into launching my own stamp line. I'm really torn which way to go though, or maybe even both. LOL...

Do you prefer the red rubber stamps or clear acrylic? Already mounted or not? In sets or individual?

OH, and if you would:
what kind of perks do you expect from a design team position?

kphorse 09-10-2008 02:19 PM

Oh dear, I am a rubber lover at heart. Plain, bare rubber mind you! LOL

I will buy clear stamps, but not as many or as often.....

Tracy-Stamper 09-10-2008 02:20 PM

Probably rubber and individual images. I like the others too though.

AmberDawn 09-10-2008 02:20 PM

I'm equal opportunity, I'll buy anything, lol! I didn't see that option;)

mnhyrkas 09-10-2008 02:21 PM

I prefer the lowest cost. Rubber, unmounted if it can be done cheaper, otherwise I'll settle for polymer.

austamper 09-10-2008 02:21 PM

Wish this were a multiple choice situation.

I like rubber... that's all there is to it. I do NOT like clear stamps. Most of my stamps are wood mounted in a set. But I don't really have a preference as far as that goes. :)

Edited to add why I don't like acrylic. I have never been able to get a good image from one.

BunnyCates 09-10-2008 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kphorse (Post 11264557)
Oh dear, I am a rubber lover at heart. Plain, bare rubber mind you! LOL

I will buy clear stamps, but not as many or as often.....

Karen, is it a quality issue?
I really want to put out the best product I can. I am a new stamper, so I have no idea what the difference is other then the mounts and being able to see through.

I would love some input before I invest in a product I wont be satisfied with.

creatingisfun 09-10-2008 02:25 PM

oh man, i have of all kind. im not picky ;)

BunnyCates 09-10-2008 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austamper (Post 11264585)
Wish this were a multiple choice situation.

I like rubber... that's all there is to it. I do NOT like clear stamps. Most of my stamps are wood mounted in a set. But I don't really have a preference as far as that goes. :)

Edited to add why I don't like acrylic. I have never been able to get a good image from one.

is it a quality issue why you dont like clear?

I have purchased some of both, and noticed some of my clear dont stick to the block very well.

But in looking into it, most of the "images" I like, seem to come on clear.

Im indifferent either way, but I want product that would give the best results. Thats my artwork, kwim?

I love pink 09-10-2008 02:30 PM

Erm I like both for different reasons!!

I like clear because I like being able to see where you stamp but then I also don't like them as I find them hard to get a nice image.

I like rubber because I can usually get a better image from them.

I like getting them in sets as it usually works out cheaper that way.

But at the end of the day its the cost and image which makes me buy!

A big plus for me would also be a nice angel policy.

Good luck with your stamps, hope it all works out :)

stampinhappy 09-10-2008 02:30 PM

It does not matter what color the rubber is! I will take clear, red, blue green.....I just wanna stamp!

sparkplug17 09-10-2008 03:25 PM

I like clear stamps because you can always see exactly what you are doing. But like others have said, I'll pretty much buy anything. But I tend to like unmounted stamps better and always on EZMount so I can use my acrylic blocks.

As for DT perks, I would want the product and stamps that they would need to create whatever you expected them to for free. And maybe 25% off for additional stuff and orders.

gaylestamps 09-10-2008 03:55 PM

I tear and lose clear stamps. I've not yet lost a wood-mounted stamp ~ LoL! I seem to drop everything - so wood-mounted-rubber sets for me, thank you!

Jeanne S 09-10-2008 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BunnyCates (Post 11264590)
Karen, is it a quality issue?
I really want to put out the best product I can. I am a new stamper, so I have no idea what the difference is other then the mounts and being able to see through.

I would love some input before I invest in a product I wont be satisfied with.

There is a variety of quality of clear stamps. Some stamp like rubber, others squish and tear and don't ink well.

I prefer rubber, but good quality clear are good too.

As for the DT question, perks depend on what you'll expect from your team.

ashleyprugh 09-10-2008 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmberDawn (Post 11264573)
I'm equal opportunity, I'll buy anything, lol! I didn't see that option;)

hahaha i agree. i prefer rubber, but if we're going unmounted, go clear. i can't figure out unmounted rubber.

rj77 09-10-2008 05:46 PM

I have used and purchased both. I know I'm repeating what others have said, but it's how I feel. I like both. I like the clear, in that you can see where you are positioning it. I know there are stamp-a-ma-jigs and such for positioning, but haven't done that. I haven't had a problem with images not being crisp with my clear stamps. The one thing I've noticed is that dye ink won't do well with the clear stamps, but pigment inks are fine. That might be why some others have had issues with images not being crisp and clean, I don't know. But I like both. Usually when I buy clear it is because they are cheaper, or I have a coupon, etc. But I like both and use both.

craftycrunchymama 09-10-2008 05:48 PM

If the quality is as good as Papertrey Ink's, then hands down clear stamps. They take ink just as well as rubber does, but I can see where I am stamping and that makes it soooo much easier.

I also prefer unmounted rubber as it is cheaper and easier for me to use.

However, I will buy a stamp regardless of what it's made of, as long as I like the image.

pjw2855 09-10-2008 06:01 PM

I prefer unmounted rubber stamps in single form. I hate purchasing a set, I end up trashing the ones in the set I don't like, so there is no savings. I would rather just pay for the stamps I want to keep.

Un-mounted bare rubber!

Patti

peebsmama 09-10-2008 06:10 PM

I own some clear stamps but rarely use them. Yes, it's nice to be able to see where I'm stamping. But if I can't get a good image then what difference does it make if it's positioned perfectly? I like my rubber. And, even though it's a cost and space saver, I like mine wood mounted. I just feel like I'm more in control that way.

As far as sets or individual images - depends on what it is. I have often turned down purchasing whole sets if I don't think I would use all the images in it. But if stamps were sold individiually, it would be nice to have a suggestion of what other stamps meant to go together. Or, maybe offer the stamps individually but offer a discount if a certain combo of stamps was purchased together.

For DT, I agree with Sparkle. Definitely free product to create the sample cards then a small discount on a future purchase.

Kittypaws 09-10-2008 06:14 PM

I haven't had much luck with acrylic stamps, so I will stick with rubber.

tigerlily55 09-10-2008 06:15 PM

I prefer deeply etched rubber - red, purple, pink - doesn't matter to me. I think that rubber allows for a more detailed image.

I buy in sets but I also buy individual stamps, mounted and unmounted.

Quiltnstamper 09-10-2008 06:19 PM

While I prefer mounted rubber I will buy unmounted rubber. I am shying away from acrylic because I have had some get "sticky" and I hate that.

Pipergirl 09-10-2008 06:21 PM

I love clear as long as they are high quality polymer, not those cheap $1 stamps. I also love rubber, any color, but I myself hate wood mounted. I don't have the room to store tons of wooden blocks and love cling mounted you use with an acrylic block.
Of course price always is a factor- clear are almost always cheaper. I'l take a high quality clear over rubber anytime because you can see through them and storage is not an issue.

gmcbunny 09-10-2008 07:07 PM

I am an equal opportunity stamper too - I like both for different reasons. Clear stamps take up less space and I love two step stamping with them, they also have to be quality stamps. I love the quickness of rubber stamps - meaning that they are already mounted and good to go.

MaeganXeno 09-10-2008 07:12 PM

I didn't vote...as I don't care how the red rubber comes to me (in sets, alone, mounted or unmounted), I just prefer rubber to acrylic/polymer stamps.

I just feel like the ink does better on rubber. I can use ANY ink brand without having a problem...whereas some ink brands claim to be specifically for clear stamps...it makes me wonder if there is really a difference or if they wouldn't work as well on red rubber. (And why have two different types of ink?? No one wants to spend twice the money to use one product.)

I have a few unmounted red rubber stamps...and I put double sided tape on my acrylic blocks...and then my red rubber sticks to my acrylic block. I also like my wood mounted stamps...and if I worry about lining images up just right (which is easy to do with clear stamps, but not always with red rubber), I just use my stamp-a-ma-jig. I stamp with a groupd of ladies that all own stampamajigs, but I seem to be the only one who uses it regularly.

thestampingstamper 09-10-2008 07:16 PM

The only clear acrylics that I prefer are the alphabet stamps. Other than that I am all about the image. If I like it I buy it.......it does not matter what it is made of.

frankie 09-10-2008 08:14 PM

Rubber all the way. I've stopped buying clear -- they just aren't the same and I find myself not using them so in the long run, they end up costing more. I won't settle for anything but rubber these days!

jeanstamping2 09-10-2008 08:27 PM

I LOVE them all!!

I have unmounted Rubber Stamps that use a Acrylic Block

And Wood mounted rubber stamps and Clear Stamps.

The company I demo for sells Unmounted Blue Rubber Stamps with Ez-mount foam.

And two of the Companies I design for are Clear acrylic Stamps

And I buy Wood mounted Stamps from Stampin' Up!

But I also buy Unmounted rubber stamps.

2katjes 09-10-2008 08:54 PM

I like sets. If it is rubber or acrylic, it doesn't matter to me. I do like unmounted rubber, for storage reasons. If a stamp is mounted on a piece of wood, I really, really have to like the image to buy it.

Angelnorth 09-11-2008 12:45 AM

Rubber, unmounted is first choice (I prefer it when they're already on cling cushion so there's no faffing about to get them on an acrylic block). Sets are great and I don't mind cutting my own out of a rubber sheet to get best value but single images appeal to me too if they're the right image. Wood mounted take up valuable storage space so it has to be a special stamp for me to go that route.

Clear polymer are fine if they're high quality. I haven't used PTI but the Crafty Secrets ones are good - they don't squish out of shape when you stamp with them and they take ink well.

If you're looking into manufacture and you decide to go the clear route, the proper name is polymer (or photopolymer) - acrylic is what the clear block is made out of, not the stamps.

Cook22 09-11-2008 01:22 AM

Perks is the easy bit - free product for making up samples and a discount (small) on future purchases while still on the DT.
Choice of stamps is the hard thing - I have clear sets, rubber sets both mounted and unmounted, and single rubber both mounted and unmounted. The only thing I don't have is single acrylic stamps!
I like clear for ease of positioning, even over UM rubber, and I like sets because they will usually coordinate well together, but at the end of the day it all comes down to the image. If I like it, I'll get it. Elements - things like flourishes, scrolls, alphas, I would definitely go clear.
My second-oldest clear set is deteriorating but it's now heading for 5 years old and is sentiments, so it has seen an awful lot of wear and tear, and it's only the used stamps that starting to stretch a bit. I'd still replace it with another set of clear sentiments if I could only find one I like.

smitty2004 09-11-2008 01:46 AM

i have all kinds of stamps! i have clear, unmounted rubber and wood blocks. i love them all. to me it's quality and design. if i like i will buy it regardless of the kind. unmounted obviously takes up less room but i still buy both.

identicaltriplets 09-11-2008 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigerlily55 (Post 11267262)
I prefer deeply etched rubber - red, purple, pink - doesn't matter to me. I think that rubber allows for a more detailed image.

I buy in sets but I also buy individual stamps, mounted and unmounted.

Ditto! Definitely prefer rubber over acrylic!

phunkymama 09-11-2008 03:59 AM

I prefer UM rubber, and I like the option of buying whole sheets, or individual images.

blank canvas 09-11-2008 04:18 AM

I like wood mounted, prefer wood mounted, actually only buy woodmounted. I have bought some acrylic, got swept up in this whole 'acrylic is great' thing..they may be great stamps but I don't get on with them.

I rarely find I HAVE to know where exactly an image needs to be and there are tools and 'a good eye' of course to assist! I don't mind wood taking up more room; I feel I have something then, a tiny acrylic stamp still costs money as is tiny and it's only the image that is exciting, not the stamp itself.

I find acrylic image get squashed (too heavy handed after years of wood!). They seem to struggle with some inks too, apparently shouldn't use Stazon even!

With wood, the joy is also in the stamp itself. I honestly get joy from holding a wooden stamp, from looking at them. I prefer a beautiful book cover too, to that of say brown paper. I wouldn't pick up a book, wouldn't be so inspired with a stamp unless I can see what it will do, we are working in visuals of course.

I can look at my stamps and it's a joy, to hold them, to see the image on them, to think what I could do..acrylic maybe functional, but that's it. I need a hoover, washing machine etc to be functional, I just am not creative enough to see creativity in something I can't see properly, wooden stamps create a feeling of potential, of creativity more than acrylic, for me anyway. They are convenient, do what they say on the tin. A wooden stamp is so much more, when I buy a box of SU stamps off ebay/etsy, I am overcome when I open the envelope, not so if I just had some squashed acrylic stamps..

I am a hobby stamper, the answers of those who earn their living from stamps may be different, but for me, I want more than function.

SophieLaFontaine 09-11-2008 04:18 AM

I prefer high-quality photo-polymer clear stamps (very different from cheap clear stamps), but I'll tolerate unmounted rubber.

I have no problems getting clear images with high-quality photopolymer stamps. I have cheap clear stamps too, but don't prefer those. I can still get clear images from those, but I have to be very, very careful. However, the same is true for me for some rubber stamps - I have to be very, very careful if they are not deeply-etched.

The only time I buy wood-mounted now is if I'm invited to a SU! party and then I'll buy a set to help out the hostess. Or, if they are 75% off with free shipping (like if someone is going out of business).

Another incentive for me to buy (in addition to a good angel policy as mentioned above), is free shipping over a certain dollar amount.

greetingsbydebra 09-11-2008 04:26 AM

Clear stamps aren't "acrylic stamps" anymore than wood mounted rubber stamps are "wood stamps." My little pet peeve. :)

Clear stamps are okay for me, but they don't do details nearly as well as rubber. For that they are limited to less complex designs. So I voted for rubber.

Joan B 09-11-2008 05:24 AM

I'm wondering why some folks can't get a clear image with clear stamps and others can. I have detailed Flourishes, Impression Obsession, PTI clear stamps and get great images and I'm no stamping genius!

Design team perks -- free stuff! Discounts and cash! The more the better!!! LOL

phunkymama 09-11-2008 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B (Post 11270503)
I'm wondering why some folks can't get a clear image with clear stamps and others can. I have detailed Flourishes, Impression Obsession, PTI clear stamps and get great images and I'm no stamping genius!

I have pressure issues. If I try to go light, I often don't get the whole image. If I try to use a bit more pressure, I tend to moosh it. I don't have those problems with rubber.

Frenchy 09-11-2008 06:43 AM

I like either, but have unmounted all of my stamps, so prefer companies which do offer an unmounted price if they sell wood block stamps.