Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-08-2008, 04:49 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RUB ONS QUESTION.. hep me hep me

Hey,

So I had a friend go with me to a SU event, and one of the things they showed was the rub-ons on the candles. The demo made it seem so easy, so my girlfriend ordered some stuff and got her rub-ons for SAB. She tried to apply them, and actually dented and ruined her candle trying to apply the rub-on because it wouldn't apply. :(

Needless to say she is not a happy camper. Does anyone out there have some tips on applying these nicely without ruining your candles? :confused:

I would offer my own help, but I have not really played with these myself, and searched the Demo sight earlier today and couldn't really find any tips.

Any advice would be great! :-D

Any advice

My own GALLERIA
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2008, 08:02 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

I haven't tried rub-ons on candles yet myself, but after trying them on glass, I know that you have to have a clean surface. Any oils (or moisture) and the rub-ons won't stick. Try cleaning the candle with rubbing alcohol (and letting it dry) before you apply the rub-on. That should take off any oils from fingers and hopefully the rub-on will stick!

Good luck....
Hillary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2008, 11:14 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

If that doesn't work, you may have to put them on tissue paper and then adhere to the candle. HTH.

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2008, 11:28 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

One of the places that sells rub-ons suggests wiping the candle with window cleaner prior to applying their rub-ons. I'm supposing that a candle would be the most difficult surface just because it is so waxy/oily.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2008, 11:44 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Wow, I had no problems and didn't do anything to the candle. Just laid it on its side and rubbed the rub on on. I didn't have to rub very hard either. Is she using the popsickle stick to rub it on - or is she using something else? I rubbed on to a scapbook cover and had a hard time with that because it wasn't a solid object. For the candle, I rubbed with the popstick and then went over the area with my fingers, just rubbing it in and that seemed to do the trick. I assume she figured this out, but there is that plastic backing on the rub ons to protect them from just rubbing off. She took that off, right? Mine just fall off when I cut them apart but I did try to rub on with the stupid backing on!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2008, 07:36 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for some great ideas! I really don't know if she used a popsicle stick or her bone folder, I want to say bone folder because that's what the Demo told us to do, but she obviously pressed too hard. I'll recommend the wiping of the candle to remove oils, but not sure how the tissue idea works.

Thanks again ladies!

My own GALLERIA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2008, 08:12 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

I think the tissue idea was similar to when you stamp on candles.... Put the rub-on on the tissue paper, then place it on the candle where you want it, cover with wax paper (wrapped around the candle) and heat. Is that what you were suggesting?
Reply With Quote Likes