Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Ribbon Attachment Help Needed (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/ribbon-attachment-help-needed-600378/)

lesliespringer 06-13-2015 02:54 PM

Ribbon Attachment Help Needed

So, I don't have matching ribbon for my paper. I have read many times over the years here on SCS of that special trick of running white ribbon over an ink pad to make colored ribbon.

I used white see through ribbon, (don't know the name of this kind of ribbon sorry) and su ink cantaloupe.

First off this takes forever to dry, but glue dots don't hold the ribbon down! I managed to get the ribbon on the embossed layer attached to the card base.

So now I have all the vellum embossed flowers arranged on the card, looks very pretty, BUT now how do I attach the bow onto the ribbon on the front of the card??????????? I used the bow easy thingy so the bow is separate from the ribbon that goes around the embossed card stock layer.

HELP Please,

Thanks so much!

JBgreendawn 06-13-2015 03:37 PM

so, is this ribbon sheer? (meaning you would see the glue through it?)

Possibilities would be to tie the bow onto the wrapped around piece with a piece of cording?
and or maybe a brad or a button in the center to hide the glue dot?

SkyNacho 06-13-2015 03:55 PM

I usually use aleene's tacky glue for gluing ribbon.

lesliespringer 06-13-2015 03:58 PM

I was thinking trying crystal effects as I know tombo multi glue would be too messy and I would ruin the card. I don't have tacky glue, must get some now!

lesliespringer 06-13-2015 05:21 PM

I give up!!!

Can't get the bow to stick on the ribbon. Tell me again how wonderful dyeing ribbon with ink is. Nothing will stick to the ribbon.

I tried crystal effects, mono multi glue, fun fluff glue and red tape. Nope bow will not stick to the ribbon. I even tried to put matching embellishments over the glued area, they wont stick either.

What a waste of time. Tomorrow I will pull off the card what I can salvage and make a new card. I will reverse the colored layers so I can use plain old white ribbon!!!!!!!!

poppydarling 06-13-2015 05:44 PM

How frustrating! I have had good luck gluing embellishments to all sorts of surfaces using Aileens Super Thick Tacky Glue, which is advertised as working like a hot glue gun. It takes a few seconds to grab, but after that it seems like the items aren't going anywhere!

biblesistersmom 06-13-2015 06:02 PM

Did you try tying the bow onto the ribbon with a bit of thread or dental floss? Watch Gina K's video on how to use the bow easy. That might give you some help. Good luck!

lesliespringer 06-13-2015 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppydarling (Post 21002983)
How frustrating! I have had good luck gluing embellishments to all sorts of surfaces using Aileens Super Thick Tacky Glue, which is advertised as working like a hot glue gun. It takes a few seconds to grab, but after that it seems like the items aren't going anywhere!

Thanks, I guess I will be putting Aileens tacky glue in my craft supplies soon!

lesliespringer 06-13-2015 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biblesistersmom (Post 21002988)
Did you try tying the bow onto the ribbon with a bit of thread or dental floss? Watch Gina K's video on how to use the bow easy. That might give you some help. Good luck!

Thanks, I have watched GinaK's video's on the bow easy. That is how I learned about double looped bow's which I just love.

The only way I know to use thread or floss is to tie it on to the ribbon which cinches it together and then put the bow over the cinched area. So the bow and ribbon looks like it was tied on.

Any way I just remade the card and reversed the colored layers so I can use the white ribbon. I skipped the bow as I am so tired right now. I just put matching embellishments on the ribbon.

TeeGeeDee 06-13-2015 07:01 PM

I'd try Fabri-Tac by Beacon (linking to Amazon but I've seen it at Michael's, A.C. Moore and Joann Fabric):

Amazon.com: Beacon Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive, 4-Ounce

Good luck!

lesliespringer 06-13-2015 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeGeeDee (Post 21003025)
I'd try Fabri-Tac by Beacon (linking to Amazon but I've seen it at Michael's, A.C. Moore and Joann Fabric):

Amazon.com: Beacon Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive, 4-Ounce

Good luck!

Thanks for the idea. I am thinking the ink on the ribbon was making adhering the bow a problem.

punch-crazy 06-13-2015 09:28 PM

I use glue dots to attach ribbon and bows to my cards. And I use lot of sheer/organza ribbon

Skippet 06-13-2015 09:36 PM

My thought would be to maybe try a needle and thread or maybe very thin beading wire with a needle to secure it.

lesliespringer 06-14-2015 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punch-crazy (Post 21003119)
I use glue dots to attach ribbon and bows to my cards. And I use lot of sheer/organza ribbon

I used ink to color the ribbon and bow. With the ink on the ribbon and bow made it impossible to attach the bow. I just remade the card and reversed the colored layers so I could use the white ribbon.

lesliespringer 06-14-2015 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skippet (Post 21003120)
My thought would be to maybe try a needle and thread or maybe very thin beading wire with a needle to secure it.

I already assembled the card and was waiting for the ink to dry more on the bow.

With inking the ribbon and bow, the ink started to rub off on the white embossed layer, so fudging to use a needle and thread to attach the bow would only make the ink bleeding worst.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I did make the card over again. I reversed the color layers so I could use white ribbon.

Yep, Never Ever going to ink ribbon again;)

Julie Gearinger 06-14-2015 09:28 AM

So sorry to hear of your issues with the dyed bow sticking to the card- I know how frustrating that can be...

I have had success using a Hot Glue Gun lately for this type of attachment- for years ny Hot Glue Gun was neglected, now it is essential for adhering bows, paper flowers, etc.

lesliespringer 06-14-2015 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julie Gearinger (Post 21003340)
So sorry to hear of your issues with the dyed bow sticking to the card- I know how frustrating that can be...

I have had success using a Hot Glue Gun lately for this type of attachment- for years ny Hot Glue Gun was neglected, now it is essential for adhering bows, paper flowers, etc.

I did not think of using a hot glue gun. And I have at least 3 of them! Thanks for the idea. Storing in memory for future use!

JBgreendawn 06-14-2015 09:56 AM

I wonder if it was something to do with the type of ribbon Leslie,

the only kind I have inked is some seam binding and when its dry its dry. ( but, I mostly spray it with colors rather than drag it on a pad)

buggainok 06-14-2015 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julie Gearinger (Post 21003340)

You are so right about using the Hot Glue Gun in cardmaking. I saw a tutorial where a gal was using one, and it reminded me how handy they can be. The one she used had a fine tip, and I got one like it to use for my cards:

Ultra Mini Detail Glue Gun at Joann.com

lesliespringer 06-14-2015 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawn (Post 21003358)
I wonder if it was something to do with the type of ribbon Leslie,

the only kind I have inked is some seam binding and when its dry its dry. ( but, I mostly spray it with colors rather than drag it on a pad)

Ribbon is sheer, and I did drag the ribbon on the ink pad. I think the inking did not let me attach the bow onto the ribbon. Maybe it was still wet?? I don't know, but I will never ink ribbon again!

I will post a pic of the card tomorrow.

JBgreendawn 06-14-2015 03:18 PM

so, its something in the material of the ribbon is resisting the ink itself. ( is it on a spool? does it say what its made of or is it a cut piece?)

Illinois Marge 06-14-2015 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringer (Post 21003402)
Ribbon is sheer, and I did drag the ribbon on the ink pad. I think the inking did not let me attach the bow onto the ribbon. Maybe it was still wet?? I don't know, but I will never ink ribbon again!

I've never had a problem attaching dyed ribbon. It behaved just like regular ribbon. I always thoroughly dry mine (like overnight).

Illinois Marge 06-14-2015 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringer (Post 21003251)
With inking the ribbon and bow, the ink started to rub off on the white embossed layer, so fudging to use a needle and thread to attach the bow would only make the ink bleeding worst.

Was it still wet? Did you run it across the ink pad and try to use it immediately?

lesliespringer 06-14-2015 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawn (Post 21003583)
so, its something in the material of the ribbon is resisting the ink itself. ( is it on a spool? does it say what its made of or is it a cut piece?)

Took it off the spool. I bought it most likely at Mike's.

lesliespringer 06-14-2015 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illinois Marge (Post 21003602)
Was it still wet? Did you run it across the ink pad and try to use it immediately?

I let it dry for an hour. No ink came off when I tested it.:(

Janet1000 06-14-2015 05:40 PM

For me, it mattered what kind of ink I used to dye the ribbon. If I used alcohol inks, it was great. Dried quickly and was permanent. Dye inks were medium drying time, but OK once dried. Pigment inks - very hard. It just seemed to take 2 days to get that stuff dried, and it sat on top of the ribbon rather than be absorbed.

It also matters what type of ribbon/fabric you are using. Some work better than others.

I make my own glue dots with E. Tacky Glue that everyone mentions above. I let them dry out really good on wax paper, and those things could be used to keep my old truck together.

Sorry you had such a rough time on your first experiment. Dying ribbon really is economical and speedy. I own a lot of ribbon myself, but have quit buying the various matching colors. I'd rather buy the inks and/or markers and use white ribbon. Now I will cut off strips and dye it and store it with the inks/paper so it's ready when I need it.

I also quit buying colored bakers twine - I buy plain and use my copics or ink pads to dye it.

lesliespringer 06-14-2015 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet1000 (Post 21003708)
For me, it mattered what kind of ink I used to dye the ribbon. If I used alcohol inks, it was great. Dried quickly and was permanent. Dye inks were medium drying time, but OK once dried. Pigment inks - very hard. It just seemed to take 2 days to get that stuff dried, and it sat on top of the ribbon rather than be absorbed.

It also matters what type of ribbon/fabric you are using. Some work better than others.

I make my own glue dots with E. Tacky Glue that everyone mentions above. I let them dry out really good on wax paper, and those things could be used to keep my old truck together.

Sorry you had such a rough time on your first experiment. Dying ribbon really is economical and speedy. I own a lot of ribbon myself, but have quit buying the various matching colors. I'd rather buy the inks and/or markers and use white ribbon. Now I will cut off strips and dye it and store it with the inks/paper so it's ready when I need it.

I also quit buying colored bakers twine - I buy plain and use my copics or ink pads to dye it.

I have to try this! I go through glue dots like I go through Chocolate! Thanks for the tip, much appreciated:p

Minders 06-15-2015 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringer (Post 21003402)

I will post a pic of the card tomorrow.

It's possible that maybe dyeing it another way would work better. I think you can mix ink with water or rubbing alcohol and either dip or spray it. That may work much better as the ink would be much more diluted. I would think straight on an ink pad could cause some issues as it would be really saturated. Maybe give those type of techniques a try? You could try a small sample.

lesliespringer 06-15-2015 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minders (Post 21003970)
It's possible that maybe dyeing it another way would work better. I think you can mix ink with water or rubbing alcohol and either dip or spray it. That may work much better as the ink would be much more diluted. I would think straight on an ink pad could cause some issues as it would be really saturated. Maybe give those type of techniques a try? You could try a small sample.

Thanks for the tip:p

sewflake 06-15-2015 02:16 PM

A few months ago I bought some gloss gel (liquitex) just to see what technique I could use it on. I found that it makes a wonderful adhesive for ANYTHING you want to adhere to a page and not move. I use it all the time for those hard to glue items. It dries clear and takes just a little! Just a tip for future use if other adhesives don't work.

lesliespringer 06-15-2015 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewflake (Post 21004358)
A few months ago I bought some gloss gel (liquitex) just to see what technique I could use it on. I found that it makes a wonderful adhesive for ANYTHING you want to adhere to a page and not move. I use it all the time for those hard to glue items. It dries clear and takes just a little! Just a tip for future use if other adhesives don't work.

Thank you

ladyofcards 06-17-2015 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minders (Post 21003970)

You can use Copic markers to color ribbon. I bet you can use others as well! Copics work great!

Minders 06-17-2015 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyofcards (Post 21005479)
You can use Copic markers to color ribbon. I bet you can use others as well! Copics work great!

Don't have copics�.not sliding down that slippery slope ;-)

BUt good tip :-)

Buried Treasures 06-17-2015 05:27 AM

The ribbon sounds like it was organza and likely polyester. However, dying the ribbon shouldn't have anything to do with how it stuck to the paper. I do recommend Gem-Tac (very expensive) because they use it to hold rhinestones to dance and skating costumes. Also, Gorilla now makes a clear glue. If that doesn't hold it, you may need to use rivets :)

lesliespringer 06-17-2015 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyofcards (Post 21005479)

Thanks for the idea!

lesliespringer 06-17-2015 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buried Treasures (Post 21005495)
The ribbon sounds like it was organza and likely polyester. However, dying the ribbon shouldn't have anything to do with how it stuck to the paper. I do recommend Gem-Tac (very expensive) because they use it to hold rhinestones to dance and skating costumes. Also, Gorilla now makes a clear glue. If that doesn't hold it, you may need to use rivets :)

I had the problem with the dyed bow attaching to the dyed ribbon. Just would not stick. I could not even get gems to stick.

I reverse the colored layers so I could use white ribbon.

berlycece 06-17-2015 07:45 AM

I use my SU markers to color ribbon, that way I can combine colors...

Happy for Twins! by berlycece - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

It doesn't take too long to dry. I notice that it is sometimes harder to adhere, and I wonder if the humidity of the day makes a difference. I use a bit of the tacky tape (looks red in the package...SU just stopped selling it) to adhere the ends. I am lousy at tying bows, so I just do knots, and a glue dot works for me.

I love coloring my organza ribbon!

Cre8ive Mind 06-17-2015 08:20 AM

Making Glue Dots

Just wanted to clarify about using Aleene's Glue to make glue dots. The glue for that purpose is "Aleene's Tack It Over and Over" as opposed to the "Aleene's Tacky Glue" or "Aleene's Super Thick Tacky Glue". The "Tack It Over And Over" will be sticky after drying the others will dry up remaining somewhat flexible but not sticky. You can make glue dots any size you want and even make strips too.
I love the "Aleene's Super Thick Tacky Glue"... Been using it for years and it works beautifully. For sheer ribbons and fabrics I like the Fabri-Tac adhesive but it is quite expensive.
I agree the ink you used was either still slightly damp or, more likely, left a greasy/oily film that resisted the glues. Live and learn.. by trial and error sometimes.

lesliespringer 06-17-2015 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by berlycece (Post 21005620)
I use my SU markers to color ribbon, that way I can combine colors...

Happy for Twins! by berlycece - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

It doesn't take too long to dry. I notice that it is sometimes harder to adhere, and I wonder if the humidity of the day makes a difference. I use a bit of the tacky tape (looks red in the package...SU just stopped selling it) to adhere the ends. I am lousy at tying bows, so I just do knots, and a glue dot works for me.

I love coloring my organza ribbon!

Thanks for the tip:p

lesliespringer 06-17-2015 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cre8ive Mind (Post 21005652)
Just wanted to clarify about using Aleene's Glue to make glue dots. The glue for that purpose is "Aleene's Tack It Over and Over" as opposed to the "Aleene's Tacky Glue" or "Aleene's Super Thick Tacky Glue". The "Tack It Over And Over" will be sticky after drying the others will dry up remaining somewhat flexible but not sticky. You can make glue dots any size you want and even make strips too.
I love the "Aleene's Super Thick Tacky Glue"... Been using it for years and it works beautifully. For sheer ribbons and fabrics I like the Fabri-Tac adhesive but it is quite expensive.
I agree the ink you used was either still slightly damp or, more likely, left a greasy/oily film that resisted the glues. Live and learn.. by trial and error sometimes.

Thank You:p