Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-21-2009, 04:15 PM   #41  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plain JaneView Post
Try asking at a drugstore, like Walgreens or similar, or ask at the pharmacy counter at Safeway or Target. It usually comes in a little bottle -- the one I have is about 4 or 6 ounces. It is a common ingredient in homemade cosmetics and soaps, so maybe a health-food store if you can't find it anywhere else.
If it is common in soaps, maybe a craft store with a soap making section would have some...just a thought.
Unity Stamp Co. Artist
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2009, 05:36 PM   #42  
Watercolor Wizard

Good idea -- my little local Joann's doesn't carry it (at least I don't recall seeing it) but maybe a bigger store would.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2009, 07:09 PM   #43  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

I doubt that there is one cleaner appropriate for all inks, especially permanent ink and Stazon. Wouldn't somebody be selling that universal stamp cleaner?

I have all the various cleaners, but 90% of my stamping is with dye ink. I use a container (i.e. styrofoam meat tray) with several layers of paper towels soaked in water. (Flood it with water and pour off the excess.) Press the stamp into the towels and let it sit. You can move on with your project until it's convenient to put away the stamp(s). Wipe it off with a baby towelette and store it. Chances are there isn't any ink left on it when you wipe it. If there is, a spritz with water will make the remaining ink puddle up and wipe off. The towelette goes back into the sealed container and can be re-used a dozen or more times. One container of towelettes will last for many months.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2009, 09:36 PM   #44  
Mad Swapper

Angela,

I don't know what part of Arizona you're in, but I got mine at Sprouts in the cosmetics area of their vitamin section.

Michael's usually has it in the cake decorating section.

Fan Club Member
My Neglected Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2009, 10:01 PM   #45  
Die Cut Diva

Are all of these recipes safe to use on clear stamps?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2009, 05:41 AM   #46  
Forum Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 19 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mireles4View Post
So I just gotta ask because I have been going crazy looking for glycerin. Where are you buying this from? I looked at Target and safeway in the health isle, & the only thing I found was glycerin in capsule for (for constipation) I thought this would be found in a bottle like mineral oil is sold, maybe I am not looking in the right place.
After several tries, I finally found glycerin and rosewater at my local health food store. The bottles are pretty big so I made a big batch and shared with my stamp buddies. I made copies of the recipie and taped to their mist bottles with wide clear packing tape so they can make their own. But so far, I've been supplying their refills because I have enough glycerin and rosewater to last a long, long, long (did I say long) time!!!

I've been using the rosewater/glycerin receipie for a few years and see no harm on my clear stamps.

Last edited by stamphappy1650; 09-22-2009 at 05:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2009, 12:22 PM   #47  
Polyshrink Goddess

I found it at Walmart. Had to ask someone in the pharmacy and they showed me where it was.
Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved. Acts 4:12
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2009, 12:40 PM   #48  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampwithjoanneView Post
I just use plain old liquid soap and water. Have been doing this for 12 years and haven't lost any rubber yet!

I'm unsure why people pay for the cleaners (except the StazOn cleaner----that one is needed).

Otherwise, reg. soap and water does the trick.

Don't mean to come across as "rude", and hope you don't mind that I'm quoting you, but I couldn't help but mention that those of us who began stamping only a short time ago did not know or may not know that a homemade recipe was an alternative to buying a bottled stamp cleaner. Knowing this existed alternative existed would have definitely saved me a few bucks. I bought a big refill bottle from SU! a few years back on one of my first orders and I haven't run out--I'm still using that bottle. Agreed...Staz-On cleaner is da bomb for cleaning black, craft and opaque inks off my stamps. Couldn't use those inks without it.

Smiles

I'm subbing to this thread so that when I run out I can try a less 'chemically- based' alternative for cleaning classic inks off my rubber stamps.

Kelli
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2009, 02:27 PM   #49  
Gallery Gazer

subbing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2009, 02:04 PM   #50  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plain JaneView Post
Try asking at a drugstore, like Walgreens or similar, or ask at the pharmacy counter at Safeway or Target. It usually comes in a little bottle -- the one I have is about 4 or 6 ounces. It is a common ingredient in homemade cosmetics and soaps, so maybe a health-food store if you can't find it anywhere else.
Good tp know it is sold in small qty. Thanks I will keep an eye open for it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2010, 06:40 AM   #51  
Cardstock Collector

I use a 20 oz coke bottle (cleaned out of course!!) I add 1 capful of Baby shampoo and 1 capful of baby oil, add water to fill and shake. When I fill it with water I use warm water. This last forever AND you just store the shampoo and baby oil til the next time. It keeps the stamps in great shape and its VERY affordable. I did buy the Stampin Up "Stampin Scrub" I pour a little bit of my homemade cleaner on it to scrub the stamps, and it works great!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2010, 01:21 AM   #52  
Rubber Obsessor

subscribing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2010, 12:29 PM   #53  
Rubber Obsessor

Are these homemade cleaners safe for clear stamps? Some of mine are horribly stained and I was wondering if Simple Green would be okay to use on them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2010, 01:05 PM   #54  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 85 Likes on 44 Posts

It's the nature of the beast, clear stamps, that is, for them to stain. I actually prefer a little stain because I can find them easier. I'm not sure SG is ok; check to see if there's any alcohol content; if not, it would probably be ok. I definitely wouldn't use anything with alcohol on clear or rubber stamps. And Stazon cleaner shouldn't be used on clear stamps; I have read that it can break down the polymers used.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2010, 03:17 PM   #55  
Cardstock Collector

I have been using this homemade cleaner on my clear stamps for years. It doesn't get them as clean as the wood mounted ones but it still works great!! My clear stamps are in great condition!! I really do not like Simple Green for anything so I don't use it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2010, 03:44 PM   #56  
Compulsive Stamper

I bought mine at Walgreens. Linda Heller's recipe #1 is the best.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2011, 09:35 AM   #57  
vrh
Cardstock Collector

I've always just used the liquid soap in the bathroom. Sometimes I'll use liquid dish soap if someone is using the bathroom ;-) I've tried the store bought stuff, but I see no difference. I also use baby wipes on almost everything, so if those seem to get rid of the ink, then I wait to thoroughly wash until next use. Also, I use a cookie cooling rack to set them all out on to dry. A painting pad from Lowe's works great to rub them on since it gets into the little cracks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2011, 03:43 PM   #58  
Gallery Gazer

Thanks so much for posting to this thread! When it popped up in my subscriptions I was so excited! I have been running low and knew I had seen a recipe for homemade and now I have it again!

Thanks again!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2011, 05:42 PM   #59  
Hardware Hotshot

Next to Ultra Clean this is what I make and use...Awesome from Dollar tree mixed 1/3 cleaner to 2/3 parts water..Works great and at a buck a bottle, last about 2 years!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2011, 04:54 PM   #60  
Mad Swapper

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Someone once told me that I could use a bleach pen on my stained rubber. I personally haven't tried it since I have asthma and bleach takes away my breath, but for those of you who don't have that problem, it might be a solution.

I just use that painting pad from the hardware store and a tiny dot of dishwashing liquid with a spritz of water usually does the trick for me. Then I use an old dry washcloth to dry the stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2011, 06:47 PM   #61  
Forum Fanatic

Last year I wrote to a few companies about stamp cleaners and their effect on stamps and clear stamping blocks and I received a wide variety of responses. For example StazOn responded that they didn't know that their cleaner melted clear (non rubber stamps) and that it will put spider cracks in your clear blocks. Other companies recommended not using their cleaners on clear stamps and the blocks.

I did a few searches on rubber treatment and acrylic blocks and what I found was that any harsh cleaner will eventually ruin rubber, clear stamps, and acrylic blocks.

I no longer use any cleaners that have harsh chemicals such as alcohol, bleach, windex, simple green, cleanser, and many more. The thing about harsh cleaners is that for awhile they seem great but over time rubber will get hard and hard rubber no longer stamps well. Clear stamps can melt depending on what and how they are made. I actually melted a well name brand clear stamp because my StazOn bottle tipped over onto the stamp and I didn't see it until the next day. It had the consistency of a glue dot. Even baby wipes with alcohol will degrade your stamps.

I've been using the homemade cleaner with glycerin, rose water, distilled water, and baby wash for 3 years and have not had one problem. I only use StazOn when absolutely necessary and only on rubber stamps and never on my clear blocks.

The bottom line is that the only way to have pefectly clean stamps is simply don't use them. I look at some of well stained stamps as an indicator that I've been using my stamps and not just collecting them. As for my blocks, I have some that have a few stains but I'd rather have a few stains instead of spider cracks.

If you want to prolong the life of your stamps use gentle cleaners and learn to love a little staining. One other thing is that some of my well stained stamps actually give a better image than some of my new ones and as another person said, with clear stamps you can see the image better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2011, 07:08 PM   #62  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Not impressed

Quote:

Originally Posted by hinsonslhView Post
I asked the same question a few days ago, and someone shared this with me. I made some and it works absolutely wonderful. I found the glycerin at Walmart.
2 Tablespoons glycerin (in the Rx dept.)
8 oz. distilled water
1 teaspoon baby wash
I found this recipe on SCS about a year ago. I got the ingredients made it and sad to say but I was not impressed. I cleaned a brand new stamp with it and nothing came off. Needless to say I am buying it again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2011, 07:12 PM   #63  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,951 Likes on 2,208 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sillyfillyView Post
I found this recipe on SCS about a year ago. I got the ingredients made it and sad to say but I was not impressed. I cleaned a brand new stamp with it and nothing came off. Needless to say I am buying it again.
Did you just spray it on and wipe it off? I spray mine on the scrubber pad and it's worked every time! The only difference is that I added the rose water to scent it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2011, 04:04 AM   #64  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by sillyfillyView Post
The mix I use os 2 C distilled water
2 Tbs Rose water
1 Tbs baby wash
2 Tbs glycerin

I've been using it for years and it cleans great either spraying on stamp or cleaning pad. I make big batches and share with my friends and when they run out they bring back their bottles for a refill since I could only find glycerin and rose water in large quantities. I don't think they would be asking for refills if the mix didn't work. Note that this mix does not work well on StazOn or India Ink Black.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2012, 04:07 PM   #65  
Cardstock Collector

Just signed on for the first time. Is there an easy way to get to specific things? I don't see a search bar anywhere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2012, 06:10 PM   #66  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

I use a 20 oz coke bottle (cleaned out of course!!) I add 1 capful of Baby shampoo and 1 capful of baby oil, add water to fill and shake. When I fill it with water I use warm water.
But... I thought oil and water wouldn't mix? The baby oil doesn't leave a residue that interferes with the inks?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2012, 10:38 AM   #67  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by new2thegameView Post
Just signed on for the first time. Is there an easy way to get to specific things? I don't see a search bar anywhere.

Welcome.

On the left side of the screen, the shaded area called "In The Forums" has a search button. This will search all the forums.

You can also use the "Search THIS Forum" at the top right. This will search the forum you are currently viewing.

Hope this helps and have fun!

Fan Club Member
My Neglected Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2014, 11:17 PM   #68  
Cardstock Collector

Heart

Quote:

Originally Posted by cullenwrView Post
This recipe may be in one of the links already posted, but I made a batch and keep it in a gallon milk jug. It goes a LONG way and is said to be a copy cat of SU's cleaner.
2 cups distilled water
2 Tbsp. rose water (purchased at health store)
1 Tbsp. baby wash (I used a generic brand)
Rose water is a natural, non-alcoholic astringent. This works, looks and smells just like the mist that SU sells. Dilute the above combination 4 or 5:1 with water as it's too soapy otherwise.
Really dumb question and trial and error would probably give me the answer but is that 4 or 5 part solution to one part water? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2017, 11:23 AM   #69  
Cardstock Collector

I have been using a few drops of Dawn dishwashing liquid with water to clean my stamps. I figured if it was safe to clean off animals caught in oil slicks that it would be safe for my stamps as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2020, 02:57 PM   #70  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 517 Likes on 287 Posts

Just to wake this thread up, if I buy a used stamp that is incredibly stained and icky, I first wash with dishsoap & a brush (nail brush or toothbrush). If that doesn't get it all, I'll try StazOn cleaner, and if all else fails, I go to my all time favorite removes anything - Avon Skin So Soft. I've used Skin So Soft on a lot of stamps, and it has NEVER made the rubber hard. (I also use it on scissors that have gotten sticky from cutting out mounting foam, removing price stickers, etc. It's my biggest go-to for sticky stuff)

Try it or don't- up to you, but for me it seriously works.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2020, 04:43 PM   #71  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 743 Likes on 362 Posts

I just use simple green with some tap water. Have been for years. Including on stamps that are already over 20 years old.

I found this on it. I think I might a stronger mix.

How to Clean Rubber Stamps - Simple Green

I have gotten some seriously grungy used stamps from ebay...after the usual SG-which may include spraying well and letting it stand...if it is red rubber I will put the stazon on it and let that stand. Works.

The thing about stained clear stamps is I find it easier to see where to place them.

Scrubber pads are way cool for stamps with tiny details and crevices...however..it always stains the wood for me on mounteds. Badly and quickly. But if that does not matter to you, those pads rock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2020, 02:58 AM   #72  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

For most inks (dye, chalk, pigment) water, or soap and water works great. For solvant inks like Stayzon, I either wipe the excess off, and don’t bother to clean it, or use their cleaner. Archival inks come off well with Stayzon cleaner, BUT, they also come off well with HOT water and soap. And a little Magic Elbow Grease applied to the scrub rag. There is some stuff in the archival inks that is like a shellac or resin, but hot water takes it off well. (Disclaimer: Use good sense, when washing wood mounted stamps, etc, etc.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2020, 08:03 AM   #73  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I use Simple Green too & only turn to the special cleaners for inks that won't be removed by just the Simple Green, like Stazon Ink. Save those special cleaners for those kinds of ink & you'll save your $$$! That Simple Green goes A LONG WAY!!!! I use it too, to clean off my work table & will start doing Spring Cleaning tomorrow with it! ;)<3
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2020, 06:35 PM   #74  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

My go to cleaner is some DAWN and water in a spray bottle for dye inks. As for Stazon ink on stamps I really don't worry about it. I have 91% alcohol in a mister bottle to use on everything else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2020, 02:12 AM   #75  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Don't forget, the Simple Green CONDITIONS the rubber! ;)<3
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2022, 07:50 AM   #76  
Rubber Obsessor

I used 4 parts Simple Green with 1 part water, in a spray bottle. Works great and it's pretty inexpensive.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
TLady (01-28-2022)
Old 01-30-2022, 06:53 PM   #77  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BohodivaView Post
My go to cleaner is some DAWN and water in a spray bottle for dye inks. As for Stazon ink on stamps I really don't worry about it. I have 91% alcohol in a mister bottle to use on everything else.
I do the same. I haven’t bought “special cleaner” in 20+ years of stamping.
Wasted money.
Reply With Quote Likes