In the Forums

Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter





Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads


 
Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-11-2007, 08:15 PM   #41  
Crimping Master
 
vensung1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,172
Default

Just a little funny story that this thread reminded me of~
Back in High School I wrote some poetry- a gal I was aquainted with said she like them and could she copy them down- flattered, I said sure thing! Well a few months later she said "hey, you know those poems you wrote?" "well, I entered them into a magazine contest and I didn't win!" and she was PO'd at ME!!! LOL
I still have a chuckle whenever I remember that one......
vensung1 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:33 PM   #42  
Crimping Master
 
Mistoffoleese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: In the state of confusion, near Dallas/Fort Worth
Posts: 1,501
Default

Maybe I just don't get it, but to me the Gallery is there to inspire, kind of like our own personal art museum. I agree that it is polite to give credit where credit is due. I am the worlds worst at CASEing, not because I don't give credit, I rarely end up with anything that looks like what the card I started to case does. I think I have had only 1 true CASE, where it was exactly the same card, several you can see the similarities, others you would never know that that was the inspiration. I only have one picture in my gallery (scanner issues), I can assure you it is all mine (not too sure why I am staking a claim on it, its okay, but not fabulous). If I ever get the scanner working again , I know I will definately link the inspiration cards to my creations, but then I have always felt better in giving full credit to who deserves it. I guess because I have never been good at taking compliments, so it has always been easier for me to say, well so and so did this and that.
__________________
Mary Ann
Mistoffoleese is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 07:17 AM   #43  
Stazon Splitcoast
 
row4d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 14,640
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by vensung1
Just a little funny story that this thread reminded me of~
Back in High School I wrote some poetry- a gal I was aquainted with said she like them and could she copy them down- flattered, I said sure thing! Well a few months later she said "hey, you know those poems you wrote?" "well, I entered them into a magazine contest and I didn't win!" and she was PO'd at ME!!! LOL
I still have a chuckle whenever I remember that one......
ROTFLOL! Serves the little plagiarizer right!
__________________
Rachel
Proud SU! demo and Sci-Fi Geek!


My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
row4d is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:15 AM   #44  
Kookie Creator
 
88 keys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Big Pool, MD.
Posts: 5,144
Default

'I tend to think that what it all boils down to is being respectful of, and courteous towards, each other as fellow artists.'

i'm quoting julie, and i think that says it in a nutshell. it's a combination of common sense and common courtesy. of course there are going to be a lot of similar cards...we're all using basically the same supplies. and we're all viewing the same samples. i know everything i do is a culmination of what i have seen and learned from others. that's the common sense part. but when i know that i have made something that has been specifically inspired by a particular artist or work, i absolutely would not dream of posting without giving a nod of thanks and recognition to that person. that's the respect and courtesy part. and i, for the life of me, cannot see what is so difficult about taking a few extra seconds and doing that. (am now stepping down from soapbox) thanks for listening.
__________________
deb

For You have delivered my soul from death, My eyes from tears, And my feet from falling. Psalm 116:8

my blog http://wwwfeedingmysoul.blogspot.com/
88 keys is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:28 AM   #45  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni
 
Jeanne S's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Poofville
Posts: 53,536
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88 keys
'I tend to think that what it all boils down to is being respectful of, and courteous towards, each other as fellow artists.'

i'm quoting julie, and i think that says it in a nutshell. it's a combination of common sense and common courtesy. of course there are going to be a lot of similar cards...we're all using basically the same supplies. and we're all viewing the same samples. i know everything i do is a culmination of what i have seen and learned from others. that's the common sense part. but when i know that i have made something that has been specifically inspired by a particular artist or work, i absolutely would not dream of posting without giving a nod of thanks and recognition to that person. that's the respect and courtesy part. and i, for the life of me, cannot see what is so difficult about taking a few extra seconds and doing that. (am now stepping down from soapbox) thanks for listening.
Perfect!
__________________
Jeanne S - Inky Paws
SCS Moderator
Jeanne S is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:29 AM   #46  
Matboard Maniac
 
annieworm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Fairmont, WV
Posts: 396
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88 keys
'I tend to think that what it all boils down to is being respectful of, and courteous towards, each other as fellow artists.'

i'm quoting julie, and i think that says it in a nutshell. it's a combination of common sense and common courtesy. of course there are going to be a lot of similar cards...we're all using basically the same supplies. and we're all viewing the same samples. i know everything i do is a culmination of what i have seen and learned from others. that's the common sense part. but when i know that i have made something that has been specifically inspired by a particular artist or work, i absolutely would not dream of posting without giving a nod of thanks and recognition to that person. that's the respect and courtesy part. and i, for the life of me, cannot see what is so difficult about taking a few extra seconds and doing that. (am now stepping down from soapbox) thanks for listening.
What a great explanation that pretty much covers it all!
__________________
Annie
annieworm is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:30 AM   #47  
Matboard Maniac
 
annieworm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Fairmont, WV
Posts: 396
Default

Jeanne, love the watermark comment in your signature!
__________________
Annie
annieworm is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:39 AM   #48  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame
 
JulieHRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
Posts: 22,041
Default

Deb, you encapsulated it to perfection!
__________________
JulieHRR
papertrufflez.com
"So shines a good deed in a weary world." -Willy Wonka
JulieHRR is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:39 AM   #49  
Matboard Maniac
 
Oscar T. Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sesame Street
Posts: 345
Default

from my point of view. I view the gallery, see something that makes an image in my mind. Then weeks or even months later the image reappers in my mind and I make it. I have no clue if it is my idea, someone elses, a magazine, a gallery, or whose it might me. Ideas are ideas. What should a person do, keep blinders on and never look, in fear of copying something inadvertantly.

(I didn't even know what CASE was until I read the thread that was attached). It is called scraplifting in the scrapbooking world.
Oscar T. Grouch is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:48 AM   #50  
Crimping Master
 
MadelinesMom03's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,451
Default

For me it's not the ideas, being used... it's when I see a card which is pretty much a DIRECT copy of another that boils me.
__________________
Leanne
GO CARL GO!!
MadelinesMom03 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:50 AM   #51  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame
 
JulieHRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
Posts: 22,041
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oscar T. Grouch
from my point of view. I view the gallery, see something that makes an image in my mind. Then weeks or even months later the image reappers in my mind and I make it. I have no clue if it is my idea, someone elses, a magazine, a gallery, or whose it might me. Ideas are ideas. What should a person do, keep blinders on and never look, in fear of copying something inadvertantly.

(I didn't even know what CASE was until I read the thread that was attached). It is called scraplifting in the scrapbooking world.
No.

I defer to: Deb's Post, #44.
__________________
JulieHRR
papertrufflez.com
"So shines a good deed in a weary world." -Willy Wonka
JulieHRR is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:07 AM   #52  
Stazon Splitcoast
 
sassyat30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: WI
Posts: 15,272
Default

This thread is the reason I and others have stopped posting to our galleries. Very few of my creations are uploaded anymore, just to avoid the accusations of "you used the same stamp set as me, you used the same colors as me, you used the same embellishments as I did", etc.

It's sad that people discourage instead of encourage, accuse instead of support, and demand credit where none may be due.
sassyat30 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:01 PM   #53  
Matboard Maniac
 
annieworm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Fairmont, WV
Posts: 396
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassyat30
This thread is the reason I and others have stopped posting to our galleries. Very few of my creations are uploaded anymore, just to avoid the accusations of "you used the same stamp set as me, you used the same colors as me, you used the same embellishments as I did", etc.

It's sad that people discourage instead of encourage, accuse instead of support, and demand credit where none may be due.
I have to agree that some members on this site tend to have an inflated opinion of themselves and the things they create and because of that they do not want anyone making anything that even resembles their stuff. I've seen some posts about members being all in a huff because someone else did something similar to thiers and (Gasp!) they aren't mentioned. I do want to give credit but I'm sure everyone messes up now and then. There's no need to crucify someone over something so petty.
It's a shame that you don't upload because of those certain people. I'm sure we're all missing some great stuff because of a few people. Please don't let them ruin it for you.
__________________
Annie
annieworm is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:31 PM   #54  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni
 
Jeanne S's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Poofville
Posts: 53,536
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by annieworm
I have to agree that some members on this site tend to have an inflated opinion of themselves and the things they create and because of that they do not want anyone making anything that even resembles their stuff. I've seen some posts about members being all in a huff because someone else did something similar to thiers and (Gasp!) they aren't mentioned. I do want to give credit but I'm sure everyone messes up now and then. There's no need to crucify someone over something so petty.
It's a shame that you don't upload because of those certain people. I'm sure we're all missing some great stuff because of a few people. Please don't let them ruin it for you.
I think you'll find that those members are very few and far between here. I would bet that CASEing for personal use is fine with probably 98% of Splitcoasters. I don't think that an the issue that gets anyone upset.
__________________
Jeanne S - Inky Paws
SCS Moderator
Jeanne S is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:42 PM   #55  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess
 
jpmayo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 23,958
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanne S
I think you'll find that those members are very few and far between here. I would bet that CASEing for personal use is fine with probably 98% of Splitcoasters. I don't think that an the issue that gets anyone upset.
I agree with this. I have yet to have known anyone to ever be offended that I CASEd a card of theirs and if they think I did and didnt give them credit due to a similarity in our cards that they noticed, then they didnt tell me about it

Most of the stampers on this site are VERY generous with their advice and their ideas! If they werent, my gallery would behalf the size it is now.
__________________
Jimmi
My Blog: Stamping With Jimmi
My SCS Gallery: jpmayo
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
jpmayo is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:50 PM   #56  
Stazon Splitcoast
 
sassyat30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: WI
Posts: 15,272
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by annieworm
I have to agree that some members on this site tend to have an inflated opinion of themselves and the things they create and because of that they do not want anyone making anything that even resembles their stuff. I've seen some posts about members being all in a huff because someone else did something similar to thiers and (Gasp!) they aren't mentioned. I do want to give credit but I'm sure everyone messes up now and then. There's no need to crucify someone over something so petty.
It's a shame that you don't upload because of those certain people. I'm sure we're all missing some great stuff because of a few people. Please don't let them ruin it for you.
Thanks, but I'm really not anything that great. I stamp to relax and create, not to have someone accuse me of "stealing" their work and not giving them "proper credit".

I don't need the extra hassle of having to worry about that, so I make what I make, and the only person that sees it is the recipient.
sassyat30 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:35 PM   #57  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
 
trudee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 9,221
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassyat30
Thanks, but I'm really not anything that great. I stamp to relax and create, not to have someone accuse me of "stealing" their work and not giving them "proper credit".

I don't need the extra hassle of having to worry about that, so I make what I make, and the only person that sees it is the recipient.

This card that you made in January is very pretty, and you did exactly what we are discussing here! //www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=447421&cat=500&ppuser=31877

I am sure you made cathymac's day by letting her know she inspired you!

Please don't feel like you can't share in the gallery. That really isn't what it's about!
__________________
trudee is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:13 PM   #58  
Embossing Fanatic
 
Lin1702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: England
Posts: 301
Default

I'd be over the moon if someone cased one of my cards (don't think they have yet)!

I'd never heard of 'casing' before I came across this site... and until I read this I didn't realise the proper meaning of it. I wouldn't feel comfortable copying someone else's card completely as the recipient would think I'd designed the whole thing.

I've not been a member of this site for long and it's taken me a while to figure out all the rules around here! I have only just started to post a link to cards that I was inspired by when I upload a card to my gallery simply because I didn't know how to before.
__________________
My Album
Lin1702 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 03:03 PM   #59  
Die Cut Diva
 
housefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,451
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oscar T. Grouch
from my point of view. I view the gallery, see something that makes an image in my mind. Then weeks or even months later the image reappers in my mind and I make it. I have no clue if it is my idea, someone elses, a magazine, a gallery, or whose it might me. Ideas are ideas. What should a person do, keep blinders on and never look, in fear of copying something inadvertantly.

(I didn't even know what CASE was until I read the thread that was attached). It is called scraplifting in the scrapbooking world.
Ditto!!! You hit that nail right on the head!!
housefan is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 03:04 PM   #60  
Die Cut Diva
 
housefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,451
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassyat30
This thread is the reason I and others have stopped posting to our galleries. Very few of my creations are uploaded anymore, just to avoid the accusations of "you used the same stamp set as me, you used the same colors as me, you used the same embellishments as I did", etc.

It's sad that people discourage instead of encourage, accuse instead of support, and demand credit where none may be due.
This also the main one of my 4 reasons for not using the gallery here either.
housefan is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 03:26 PM   #61  
Stazon Splitcoast
 
Joan B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 15,804
Default

I've seen an enormous amount of encouragement, sharing, and support on this site.

I've never seen anyone accuse or demand credit except in 3 specific instances --

(1) someone claimed that another person stole her blog banner. She claimed that the banner consisted of her own cards and that another stamper removed the watermark/copyright label and put it on her own blog. When "accused" the person removed the banner from her blog;

(2) and (3) when I was part of the demo forums, twice a stamper claimed that another stamper had copied her card that had been posted here and submitted the exact same card to Stampin Up for one of SU's demo contests.
__________________
Dear Paperlicious is my blog...with a series on how I'm learning to improve my cardmaking by studying others.
Joan B is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 04:00 PM   #62  
Glitter Guru
 
AmyR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 9,337
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by trudee
Here's my 2 cents:

I *personally* feel that if you have someone's card either in your mind, or printed out, and you are specifically using that for your inspiration, you should give the credit to that designer for inspiring you.

I just feel like its the nice thing to do, YKWIM?
I ditto this - and if I can't for the life of me remember WHO's card it was that I had in the back of my mind then I'll even post that too (b/c it's surprising how often someone ELSE will know what card was the inspiration and they're usually kind enough to link me back to it so that I'll remember so it's all good!!! )
__________________
Amy
bloggallery
AmyR is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 04:02 PM   #63  
Glitter Guru
 
AmyR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 9,337
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88 keys
'I tend to think that what it all boils down to is being respectful of, and courteous towards, each other as fellow artists.'

i'm quoting julie, and i think that says it in a nutshell. it's a combination of common sense and common courtesy. of course there are going to be a lot of similar cards...we're all using basically the same supplies. and we're all viewing the same samples. i know everything i do is a culmination of what i have seen and learned from others. that's the common sense part. but when i know that i have made something that has been specifically inspired by a particular artist or work, i absolutely would not dream of posting without giving a nod of thanks and recognition to that person. that's the respect and courtesy part. and i, for the life of me, cannot see what is so difficult about taking a few extra seconds and doing that. (am now stepping down from soapbox) thanks for listening.
Yes yes - WELL SAID!!! *claps hands*
__________________
Amy
bloggallery
AmyR is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 04:17 PM   #64  
Rubber Obsessor
 
kingmontmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 549
Default

stirring the pot.......
At what point is it a CASE of one single card? For example-I have seen beautiful cards (especially in the target card aisle) that are of a single image in the center of a white card with some sort of expression underneath, or at the bottom right corner etc. Like a single wine glass that says "cheers" etc.... The next step up would be a single stamped image on white stuck onto a colored card. Then maybe a single stamped image with some patterned and solid paper. On and on ad nauseum. I put a lot of cards in my favorites that I like their style, colors etc so they are there when I want to use them for inspiration and can also easily find the original stamper to credit. But I would hazard a guess that most of my cards would look "similar" to at least one of the many zillions (maybe even bazillions-thankyou to my 8 yo) that are posted on this site. I believe most people on this site are kind and wonderful and probably try to give credit where it's due, but often find it impossible to pin down exactly which card was "the spark" for a particular design. Obviously if it's an exact replica of an ornate card or specialty design there should be an acknowledgment of where it came from. For me-I'd love it if anyone case'd me!!
kingmontmom is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 04:41 PM   #65  
Rubber Obsessor
 
kingmontmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 549
Default

one more thought...
One thing I like about seeing case's of cards-sometimes I'll think "wow I never would have thought about using that stamp instead" Kind of like those sheets that SU has (inspiration sheets maybe?) that show you a card and then suggest other stamp sets to use if you don't have that particular set. Sometimes I like the CASE better, if only because it uses a stamp or colors I identify with.
kingmontmom is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 04:46 PM   #66  
Die Cut Diva
 
housefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,451
Default

I guess for me it all comes down to this bottom line: If you don't want others to cook your recipe and take it to the potluck as theirs, don't share your recipe. If you don't want your neighbor to wallpaper her kitchen like yours, don't let her into your house (I think wallpaper is a good analogy because we do have access to the same stamps and paper as one another). If you don't want someone to buy shoes like yours, don't tell them where you bought them. If you don't want someone to CASE your card, do not put it on the internet for 20,000 people to see and include directions on top of that. If you don't want someone to have a hairstyle like yours, don't let them take your picture and certainly don't tell them who your hairstylist is. Come on, folks, these are cards--not the Mona Lisa!! If you can tell me where to make $500 much less $5000 on a card contest, then let me at it!! I don't think any single card design could be worth more than $10 no matter how wonderful it is, no matter who publishes it, and no matter whose blog it is found on.

As for remembering who to give credit to? Well, if I saw the card recently and copied it EXACTLY and put it in a place where the person who originated it might see it, I would give credit. Other than that, my brain is too full of work and family and life to store away information on a card I saw last Christmas that I decide to make next Christmas on the off chance that anyone would care!!

CASE me all you want--call it your own--publish it--sell it. I would simply be honored.
housefan is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 04:54 PM   #67  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
 
trudee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 9,221
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by housefan
If you can tell me where to make $500 much less $5000 on a card contest, then let me at it!! I don't think any single card design could be worth more than $10 no matter how wonderful it is, no matter who publishes it, and no matter whose blog it is found on.

CASE me all you want--call it your own--publish it--sell it. I would simply be honored.
We can't CASE ya, cuz you don't have a gallery
Upload and share your beautiful work!!

And yes, published cards are worth much more than $10.
__________________
trudee is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 04:56 PM   #68  
Stazon Splitcoast
 
TJStamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 21,809
Default

Somebody who was supposed to be a friend of mine copied a card design of mine and passed it off as her own. I don't think she realized that I would see it...THAT hurt!

If it had been somebody I didn't know who saw my design and used it I wouldn't be half as upset, I would just blow it off since I DID put it out there. But for a "friend" to do it? Ouchie....
__________________
~TJ~
TJStamper is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 05:01 PM   #69  
Die Cut Diva
 
housefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,451
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by trudee
We can't CASE ya, cuz you don't have a gallery
Upload and share your beautiful work!!

And yes, published cards are worth much more than $10.
I have had 14 cards published in 4 publications and all I got was a lousy free issue added to my subscription! Tell me exactly where you get paid for these.
housefan is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:15 AM   #70  
Matboard Maniac
 
annieworm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Fairmont, WV
Posts: 396
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by housefan
I guess for me it all comes down to this bottom line: If you don't want others to cook your recipe and take it to the potluck as theirs, don't share your recipe. If you don't want your neighbor to wallpaper her kitchen like yours, don't let her into your house (I think wallpaper is a good analogy because we do have access to the same stamps and paper as one another). If you don't want someone to buy shoes like yours, don't tell them where you bought them. If you don't want someone to CASE your card, do not put it on the internet for 20,000 people to see and include directions on top of that. If you don't want someone to have a hairstyle like yours, don't let them take your picture and certainly don't tell them who your hairstylist is. Come on, folks, these are cards--not the Mona Lisa!!
Now those are good comparisons.
__________________
Annie
annieworm is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:32 AM   #71  
Matboard Maniac
 
annieworm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Fairmont, WV
Posts: 396
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
I've seen an enormous amount of encouragement, sharing, and support on this site.

I've never seen anyone accuse or demand credit except in 3 specific instances --

(1) someone claimed that another person stole her blog banner. She claimed that the banner consisted of her own cards and that another stamper removed the watermark/copyright label and put it on her own blog. When "accused" the person removed the banner from her blog;

(2) and (3) when I was part of the demo forums, twice a stamper claimed that another stamper had copied her card that had been posted here and submitted the exact same card to Stampin Up for one of SU's demo contests.
There was a post a few weeks back, and though I can't recall the exact specifics, someone was compaining about someone else making their card and not giving them credit. Others in the post told her to pm the caser so that the "original" poster could get proper credit. I believe the cased card was posted in the gallery. This sticks in my head because it was one of the first times I had been on scs in a year or two. Then I recall thinking "Oh yeah, this is why I stoped coming here. I hate drama.".

It's my opinion that there are a few (meaning two or three) on this site that I have seen going on about such things in a post or two that do indeed deter others from posting anything. These same few do not give anyone the benefit of the doubt and immediately get all uptight thinking that their "original" artwork has somehow been copied.

Having said that I do believe the majority of posters here are very encouraging and supportive. But it only takes a few to stir up trouble and ruin the experience for others.
__________________
Annie
annieworm is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:56 AM   #72  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni
 
Jeanne S's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Poofville
Posts: 53,536
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by annieworm
There was a post a few weeks back, and though I can't recall the exact specifics, someone was compaining about someone else making their card and not giving them credit. Others in the post told her to pm the caser so that the "original" poster could get proper credit. I believe the cased card was posted in the gallery. This sticks in my head because it was one of the first times I had been on scs in a year or two. Then I recall thinking "Oh yeah, this is why I stoped coming here. I hate drama.".

It's my opinion that there are a few (meaning two or three) on this site that I have seen going on about such things in a post or two that do indeed deter others from posting anything. These same few do not give anyone the benefit of the doubt and immediately get all uptight thinking that their "original" artwork has somehow been copied.

Having said that I do believe the majority of posters here are very encouraging and supportive. But it only takes a few to stir up trouble and ruin the experience for others.
2 or 3 out of 100,000+ people certainly wouldn't deter me from having a gallery. I dare to to show me a large site that's as full of encouragment as SCS.
__________________
Jeanne S - Inky Paws
SCS Moderator
Jeanne S is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:30 AM   #73  
Matboard Maniac
 
annieworm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Fairmont, WV
Posts: 396
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanne S
2 or 3 out of 100,000+ people certainly wouldn't deter me from having a gallery. I dare to to show me a large site that's as full of encouragment as SCS.
I'm guessing that when you become the target of an angry few it's just easier to say "forget it" than it is to keep partcipating. That's really all I meant.

I'm not bashing this site or the majority of those who post. This is an awesome site with awesome people. I just wish those certain few would lighten up a little.
__________________
Annie
annieworm is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 05:52 AM   #74  
Die Cut Diva
 
housefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,451
Default

There actually are several sites where I have never seen a negative post. I have been reading the Gingerwood board for a decade and have never seen any nastiness ever on any topic! Just wanted to say that such places do exist.
housefan is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:36 AM   #75  
Kookie Creator
 
88 keys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Big Pool, MD.
Posts: 5,144
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanne S
2 or 3 out of 100,000+ people certainly wouldn't deter me from having a gallery. I dare to to show me a large site that's as full of encouragment as SCS.
i so agree with you jeanne. find me a community of 100,000 population where most of the people are wonderful, helpful, encouraging people who love what they do and have a ball doing it, and only 2 or 3 are difficult.....i'll go live there in a heartbeat.
__________________
deb

For You have delivered my soul from death, My eyes from tears, And my feet from falling. Psalm 116:8

my blog http://wwwfeedingmysoul.blogspot.com/
88 keys is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:30 AM   #76  
Hardware Hotshot
 
travelinscrapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: in my stampin place in SW MO
Posts: 5,028
Default


I have alot in my favorites because I like the card for one reason or another. Maybe I have the same set, and I couldn't come up with something...Yes I do CASE..BUT I also give credit. If I don't have the name written down, I will search for it so that I can give credit. There are a few cards I've CASED...but I've not uploaded. But I do share with a few selected freinds that do appreciate what I do no matter if it's cased or not. Seems like here at SCS thathuge amount of comments are only given to a selected few....no matter how good or great it is. For example...if a person uploads a card that she CASED, she only may get x # of comments..but the orginal poster may get high double digit # of comments....and the orginal poster most generally doesn't even reconize that some one did like/love her creation enough to even make a comment and see that she has been acknowledged.

Bottom line for me, I'll case but I'll always give credit to the person whom I cased from or inspired me....isn't that what SCS is all about....for the love of stamping. Some people have the imagiation, and some it takes a inspiration. It most of the time takes some inspiration of some ones great artist imagiation.

JMHO...CASE Always acknowlege the orginal poster.
__________________
Lois...wife to Bill and mom to furbabys Gracie and Sophie RIP Miss Dolly Jan 2017, RIP Peanut March 2021.... Stampin Up Demo 9/08
travelinscrapper is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:50 AM   #77  
Polyshrink Goddess
 
fawall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: at the computer...
Posts: 2,098
Default

Don't we "all" subscribe to the same magazines, have the "same" stamps and colors, go to the same catalogs and sites for inspiration?

This discussion gets me every time whether about stamping or scrapbooking.

How different can cards/pages really turn out when we all use the same supplies????? (and make most everything the same size?) And when we "all" follow the same trends in crafting and dressing?

I think that it's almost impossible to be unique or create anything truly unique in our culture.
__________________
Angela
fawall is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:51 AM   #78  
Polyshrink Goddess
 
fawall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: at the computer...
Posts: 2,098
Default

Not meaning to be negative, just realistic...
__________________
Angela
fawall is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:00 AM   #79  
Stazon Splitcoast
 
steubner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Midlothian, TX
Posts: 15,987
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by housefan
If you read a recipe on a blog you really tell all your guests who originated the recipe when you serve it?
Sure would!
__________________
Shannan
My Gallery
My Blog-Come Visit me!
steubner is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:37 PM   #80  
Die Cut Diva
 
housefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,451
Default

LOL, I would really have to wonder if I went to my friend Kait's house and when she brought out the appetizers she said, "These egg rolls are from Yvonne Samson's website. I know you don't know her at all, but I felt I must mention her name to be ethical."
housefan is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Reply





Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off